Chapter 3: Unraveling the Threads

Detective Lila Thompson sat at her desk, the crime scene photos spread out in front of her. The partially erased message on the chalkboard, the broken coffee mug, and the small piece of jewelry found near Mr. Raymond Barrett's body were all clues that could help solve the puzzle. As she studied them, she felt a mix of frustration and determination. Eldenwood wasn't the type of place where murders happened often, and the town's quiet atmosphere made this crime even more unsettling.

 Eldenwood wasn't the type of place where murders happened often, and the town's quiet atmosphere made this crime even more unsettling

Lila took a deep breath and glanced at her colleague, Officer Ben Price, who was leaning against the doorframe. He'd been helping her gather information on the key suspects and witnesses, and now they needed to start interviewing them.

"Let's start with Marcus Greene," she said, gathering her notes. "He's the janitor and was at the school last night."

Ben nodded, stepping aside as Lila headed toward the interrogation room. Marcus was already there, sitting at the small table with his arms crossed. He looked nervous, his eyes darting around the room. Lila sat across from him and gave him a reassuring smile.

"Marcus, I'm Detective Lila Thompson," she began, her voice calm. "I know this might be a bit intimidating, but I just need to ask you a few questions about what happened last night."

Marcus shifted in his seat. "I didn't do anything wrong," he said quickly. "I was cleaning the gym most of the night. I didn't see anything."

Lila nodded, taking notes

Lila nodded, taking notes. "I understand, but we need to be thorough. Did you notice anything unusual at all? Any strange sounds, people coming or going?"

Marcus shook his head. "No. I keep to myself, you know? I just do my job and leave."

Lila sensed he was telling the truth, but she needed to dig deeper. "What about Mr. Barrett? Did you have much interaction with him?"

"Not really," Marcus replied. "He was a good teacher, but we didn't talk much."

Lila thanked Marcus for his time and let him go, feeling slightly relieved that he didn't seem to be involved. But the lack of leads was concerning. She walked back to her desk, where Ben was waiting with more information.

"Oliver Hawkins, the art teacher, is ready to talk," he said. "He's in his classroom."

Lila made her way to Ollie's classroom, where she found him cleaning up after the police investigation. The room was filled with colorful artwork and various art supplies. Ollie looked up as Lila entered, his expression a mix of sadness and confusion.

"Detective, this is terrible," he said, shaking his head. "Raymond was such a good man. Who would do this?"

"That's what we're trying to find out," Lila replied. "Ollie, I heard you and Mr. Barrett were working on a project. What can you tell me about it?"

Ollie nodded, gesturing to a stack of papers on his desk. "Yeah, we were planning a mural for the school. Something to brighten up the place. He came back last night to get some documents we needed for it. I don't know why anyone would want to hurt him."

Lila took note of the information. A mural project seemed harmless, but it could be linked to something bigger. She thanked Ollie for his time and left the classroom with more questions than answers.

The last interview of the day was with Mayor Harriet Dawson. The mayor's office was immaculate, just like her public image. Harriet greeted Lila with a polite smile, but her eyes were calculating.

"Detective Thompson, what can I do for you?" Harriet asked, taking a seat behind her desk.

"I'm here to discuss the murder of Mr. Barrett," Lila said. "How do you think this will impact the town?"

Harriet's smile faltered slightly. "It's a tragedy, of course. But we must remain calm and let the police do their job. The town's reputation is at stake."

Lila noticed the mayor's careful choice of words. It was clear she was more concerned about the town's image than anything else. As Lila left the office, she knew that Harriet was a woman with secrets-and she was willing to do whatever it took to protect them.

Back at the station, Lila and Ben reviewed their notes. The connections were still unclear, but the emerging pattern suggested that Mr. Barrett's murder might be linked to a hidden secret in the town's past. Lila felt the weight of the investigation bearing down on her, but she was determined to unravel the threads and uncover the truth.