Chapter 4: Hidden Motives

Detective Lila Thompson entered the bustling coffee shop in downtown Eldenwood, her eyes scanning the crowd. It was a popular spot, filled with locals catching up on the latest news and gossiping about the murder at Eldenwood High School. The air was filled with the aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the low hum of conversation.

She spotted Claire Barrett at a corner table, her hair pulled into a loose bun and her gaze fixed on her phone. Lila approached, offering a polite smile as she pulled out a chair. Claire looked up, her expression guarded.

"Thanks for meeting me," Lila said, sitting down. "I know it's a difficult time, but I have a few questions about your brother, Raymond."

Claire nodded, her fingers wrapped tightly around her coffee cup. "Sure, I'll help however I can."

Lila started with a gentle approach

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Lila started with a gentle approach. "You mentioned that you were estranged from Raymond. Can you tell me more about that? And why you returned to Eldenwood?"

Claire sighed, her eyes drifting to the window. "We had a falling out years ago. Family stuff. I left town, but we were starting to reconnect. I came back to try and mend things." Her voice faltered, and Lila could sense the pain behind her words.

"Did you speak with him recently?" Lila asked.

"A few times," Claire replied. "We had coffee a couple of days before...before it happened. He seemed distracted, like something was bothering him, but he didn't say what."

Lila made a note of this. "Were you at home the night of the murder?"

"Yes," Claire said, her tone defensive. "I was working on a freelance project. I didn't leave my apartment."

Lila sensed that Claire was holding back, but pressing further might close her off. She thanked Claire for her time and headed back to Eldenwood High School to speak with Principal James Thompson. The principal's office was austere, with a large wooden desk and a collection of framed certificates on the wall. James Thompson, a tall man with a stern expression, greeted her with a firm handshake.

 James Thompson, a tall man with a stern expression, greeted her with a firm handshake

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Detective Thompson, what brings you here?" he asked, taking a seat behind his desk.

"I'm investigating the murder of Mr. Barrett," Lila replied. "I need to know about his work habits and any recent changes in his behavior."

The principal leaned back, tapping a pen against his desk. "Raymond was a dedicated teacher, but lately, he seemed...preoccupied. He had some personal matters that were affecting his work, but he didn't go into detail."

"Any idea what those personal matters might have been?" Lila asked.

"No," the principal replied. "Raymond was private about his personal life. I didn't press him on it."

Lila thanked the principal and left the office, her curiosity piqued by the mention of personal matters. As she walked down the hallway, she overheard a conversation between two students by the lockers.

 As she walked down the hallway, she overheard a conversation between two students by the lockers

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"Did you hear about the notes?" one student whispered to the other.

"Yeah," the other replied. "They say he got threats. Could that be why he was killed?"

Lila's ears perked up at the mention of threatening notes. This was new information, and it could point to a motive for the murder. She approached Oliver "Ollie" Hawkins, the art teacher, who was busy preparing for class.

"Ollie, I need to ask you about something," Lila said, stepping into the classroom. "Did Mr. Barrett mention receiving any threats or anonymous notes?"

Ollie looked up, his eyes wide. "Yeah, he did. A few weeks ago, he got a couple of weird notes. He didn't say much, just that they were creepy. I thought he was joking, but maybe he wasn't."

This revelation was significant. It suggested that the murder might have been premeditated, and someone in Eldenwood had a reason to want Mr. Barrett dead. Lila left the school and returned to the police station, her mind racing with possibilities.

Back at her desk, she shared the information with Officer Ben Price. The discovery of the threatening notes and the hints of a possible scandal within the town pointed to a larger conspiracy. As Lila sifted through her notes, she knew the investigation was about to take a dark turn. The deeper she dug, the more dangerous it would become.