Chp. 3: Honeymoon blues

Music: Love me like you do by Ellie Goulding

~~~~~~~~~~~

Kemi emerged the bathroom, fresh from her lavender soaked bath, her body covered in white bath robe and her hair held up in a towel. Her chestnut skin was glowing from the natural honey seeds she had been feeding her skin since the honey moon and she had grown a generous amount of flesh , thanks to Duke's healthy eating plan. Duke had left for work while she was still asleep. On Duke's side of the bed, was an arrangement of a red two piece Alexander McQueen suit and Palazzo pant with white pumps and a white Hermes purse laid at the side. There was a paper note attached to the arrangement.

Mrs. Duke

The paper read, she smiled. Duke had sorted her wardrobe. The man was obsessively romantic and consistent at it.

                                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Thank you" Kemi alighted her white G-wagon. Stanley, her driver smiled politely and shut the door behind her.

She sauntered into her store in the elegant couture her husband had picked out for her. She looked sophisticated and divine. She had been away from the store for over a month . Duke insisted after the honeymoon that she wait until the renovations were complete. As she advanced, she felt butterflies attack her stomach. She noticed briskly her glass door had been branded with a huge letter K colored pink, circled by a slender spiral line. A powerful aura swept through her when she pushed it open and entered into her store. Her eyes marveled at the sight. Her humble fashion house had turned into a wide space of elegant grandeur.

"Mrs Duke... It's so lovely to finally meet you. Mr Duke insisted I wait here for your arrival" The perky lady with squeaky voice flashed a bright smile.

"And you are?" Kemi cast a curios stare

"Oh I am Tomison, the interior designer. Mr Duke contracted me a month ago before the honey moon. I hope you love what we have done with the place" She gushed with excitement.

Kemi smiled. Her eyes took a wide sweep around the store, the sparkling large perimeter, the intricate carvings on the ceilings, the Tigerwood floorings and brown walls with large beautiful paintings. Gold plated cloth hangers barricaded the four sides of the walls. A long rectangular marble table, carrying three sewing machines; two automated and brand new and one old and rugged, stood far ahead and stopped before two brown Victoria tufted leather couches that sat opposite each other, demarcated by brown and gold centre rug. Two exotic brown mannequins stood at the opposite sides of the table. Sharp yellow lights radiated from the ceilings and walls and illuminated the room. The place looked and smelled of luxury. She would have appreciated it even more if Duke had bothered to get her involved.

She smiled. "It's elaborate"

"Oh you know Mr. Duke, he is an elaborate man" Tomison chuckled

"Yes he is" Kemi stuffed a smile.

"Mr. Duke said you insisted on keeping that rugged machine. I think it doesn't fit in here" Tomison cast a distasteful gaze at the brown, charred old machine that sat along side the glistening white new ones.

"I couldn't find a place to tuck it away. You know if you are into vintage, there are nice vintage stores that could give you vintage machines that would fit nicely in here. I could make a few calls"

"No thank you" Kemi shushed her. "I like this rugged one just fine"

"Okay then, my work here is done, please make sure to whisper to Mr. Duke how much you love the renovations. I wouldn't want to lose him from my client list" She held a placating smile

"Sure, of course" Kemi smiled back.

She extended her hand for a shake."I hope to see you again Mrs. Duke"

"Nice meeting you Tomison, you did a good job here" Kemi took her hand and released it.

"Welcome back Mrs. Duke"

"Thank you" Kemi returned. Tomison gave the store a final tour with her eyes and she gave herself a mental pat on the back. She finally detached herself from the admiration and let herself out of the store.

Kemi's eyes swept the grand perimeter once again and her eyes caught a small red box on one of the rectangular table. She motioned forward and picked up the box that sat on a note.

Welcome back to work Mrs. Duke

The note read, her lips curved into a bright smile. She quickly opened the box, her mouth gaped at the beautiful tiny diamond earrings that glittered out of the small box. She set down the box on the table and took out her phone from her purse. She took a quick shot of the earrings and clicked the share button.

And then there was Duke

She captioned it and a added blush emoji and sent it to her husband. Her phone beeped immediately.

I'm glad you like it Mrs. Duke with a heart emoji

I love it, she wrote back

I hope you love the renovations too

You bought the next building

Kemi typed, the store was three times the usual size. She didn't need mathematics to know that her husband had bought her more space.

The space was too small for Mrs. Duke. Do you like it? I could ask them to graze it all down and start again

Kemi chuckled and texted back.

It's perfect. I love it.

Good. I have a meeting now. See you at home Mrs. Duke

See you Mr. Duke

She texted back and set her phone down. She let out a deep exhale. A warm smile applied her face and the butterflies danced in her stomach. Her eyes flickered pleasantly around the room and it all felt surreal how someone like her could own a store this magnificent. Something she could dream of. Her eyes strayed to the rugged machine that sat at the left of the three machines. Her fingers caressed it and worked around it's edges, stroking it with immense satisfaction. She was home.