Chapter 6 Dark Depths

Chapter 6

I woke up from a dream. My head was screaming in protest at suddenly getting woken up.

I can not even recall dozing off. Why am I in bed?

I sit up, clutching my head, as I try to recall what happened. I remember freaking out because of Carter's sudden change in appearance. I was throwing a fit and screaming. My father was there, giving me a worried glance and ordering the doctor to give me medicine to sleep so I wouldn't hurt myself.

Ah, that's right. So that's what happened to me.

Looking around my room, it was already nighttime. I am also wearing my pajamas, now that I think about it.

I stared at the blanket for a while, thinking about the image of Carter that I saw, or at least another humanoid version of him.

Just what was that?

The image in my head was so clear to be a mere dream that I started to get goosebumps. I don't think that the details of his scaled and tinted blue skin are only a figment of my imagination. No. I am certain that I saw it right.

Carter isn't human, if that were even possible.

Whether that is real or not is irrelevant, but it does give me a clear and solid push to convince my father to cancel the engagement. I don't think that I could wait any longer. I have to go and talk to him right now.

I got up from my bed, pulling out a shawl to cover my body, before lighting a candle from my side table. I start to head downstairs, where my father would be in the drawing room. Around this time, he would be there, drinking or working, depending on his mood. I consider it fortunate that I woke up before he went to sleep so I could have an audience with him.

The door leading to his personal drawing room is slightly ajar, making me wonder if he might have forgotten about it. I started to head over and thought about going inside when I noticed that there was another voice in the room.

"How could she have broken the spell?"

It was Carter.

Out of fear of getting discovered, I clasp a hand over my mouth to stifle an uncontrollable gasp.

What is he doing here at this hour?

I held my breath as I quietly peered through the cracks. I see my father sitting behind his desk while Carter is pacing in front of him, looking agitated. I fought hard not to gasp because he looked like the blue skined humanoid version that I saw earlier. I couldn't tell before, but he has gills on his neck and his teeth are sharp like a shark.

Just what is he?

Given the situation, it was hard not to panic and I could only bite my lower lips as I trembled while listening to him.

"It was all going according to plan so what went wrong." He growls, turning to my father and pointing at him. "Did you make her drink the potion like I asked you?"

My father, who looked like he was in a daze, nodded. "Yes..."

"Then why!? Why is she breaking through the spell!?"

"Perhaps she broke through with a broken heart." I noticed how clouded my father's eyes were when he answered. "She came home drunk one night, claiming that she saw you with another woman."

What's happening? Why is my father acting like a mindless doll? Did Carter do something to him?

"Pah! Like that ever became a hindrance." Carter rolls his eyes and waves a webbed hand. He was grinding his teeth and he seemed to have thought about something. "Perhaps she is starting to awaken. Maybe—"