Chapter 5 Unveiling the Lie

Chapter 5

I feel so distressed after my date with Carter. That bastard really doesn't know his place. After he took me home, he was in a hurry to leave. However, I didn't miss how he acted when we were in the carriage on the way back to the palace.

It would seem that he wasn't satisfied with our date yesterday that the man has the audacity to visit me the next day. He was in the drawing room eating some snacks when I entered. I didn't bother to display a friendly expression because I wouldn't want to make an effort for someone like him.

"Arie, darling." Carter greets me.

"You didn't make a prior appointment to see me." I tell him coldly and sit on the couch opposite to his, making him raise his brow. I used to sit beside him and cling to him before so I guess his confused expression was a result of my change of behaviour. "I am not a lenient person when it comes to such rudeness. Do you think so little of me as the empire's princess?"

Carter seems shocked by my cold demeanor. The expression briefly shows on his face before he quickly fixes it. It could have been just me, but he seems a little rattled at the moment.

"I'm sorry, princess. I just came because I was worried about you. Yesterday, you seemed a little fatigue."

"If you think that I was tired, shouldn't you have allowed me a day to rest and properly scheduled an appointment?" This time, I did not bother to hide my snide remark as I smiled sweetly at him. Sometimes, he just can't use his brain well, can't he?

Carter clears his throat. "I just want to say that I brought a gift."

"A gift?"

"Yes. It is a gift that I bought from a merchant coming from the North. He was selling a tea that detoxifies and relaxes the body. I thought that the princess would like it."
Carter spoke so fluently that I would have almost believed in him if the word North and tea weren't in a single sentence. How could the North procure dried tea leaves when it is too cold on their side?

Just as I was wondering what kind of scheme he was doing and before I could even decline his offer, the door opened and two servants were pushing a cart towards us. On the cart is a tray of dessert and a pot of tea.

"What is this?" I demanded.

"I hope you don't mind, but I had your servants brew the tea as soon as I got here. I also brought scones and macaroons. They're your favorite, right?"

They are, but I didn't bother to confirm it since I was busy eyeing the cup that the tea was being poured into.

"That isn't my teacup." I look at the servant.

"I apologize, my lady, but your cup seems to be missing from the cupboards. We will look into it as soon as possible."

"What's wrong with your current cup? I think it has a better design than your regular one." Carter adds. The way that he said it tells me that this didn't come from him, because if it did, he would boast about it nonstop.

Though I hate to admit it, he was right. My old cup is a plain white cup decorated with soft spring flowers from the South along with a golden rim and handle. The one before me is unique. It's a light blue tea cup with a seashell rim. The handle is golden as it is shaped like a tentacle. It is an odd design, I admit, but it has brought a unique perspective that I could not help but admire.

The tea inside of it has a rather deep shade of rouge.

"This tea came from the North, you say?" I turn to Carter.

"Yes. The taste is quite impeccable. You should try it."

I placed a cube of sugar in my tea, something that I don't usually do, and began to stir it with a silver spoon. Seeing as the silver didn't change color, it is safe to assume that there isn't any poison in it.

What am I thinking? There's no way that Carter would poison me. After all, I am a princess. If he is after my wealth, he needs me alive. I bet that is the only reason he is with me.

I might as well put up with his lies for now until I can find a way to get rid of our engagement.

I brought the cup to my lips. Despite the shell-shaped rim, it was easy for me to drink. The tea tasted sweet, probably because I added honey to it. There wasn't anything special in the flavor. I don't even think that I tasted anything herbal that I could even call it tea, but it was more of a sweet juice.

"Well? How are you feeling?"

"It doesn't taste like tea." I answer, looking up at Carter, who seems rather confused for some reason. Was he expecting me to give him high praise for the tea?

"R-Really? Huh. Perhaps you should drink more? Maybe the effects are a little late."

I don't know what got over me that I allowed myself to take another drink. The instant the sweet honey-like liquid passes down my throat, my chest begins to burn.

"Urgh!" I dropped the tea cup, which ended up on the carpet floor, and spilled the rest of the tea on my dress. I clutch my chest tightly as my eyes begin to water from the burning sensation coming from my chest and eyes.

"Princess, are you..."

Hearing Carter talk, I could not help but cast a glare in his direction, ready to yell and accuse him of poisoning me. However, what I saw before me didn't look like the Duke. The thing sitting on the couch before me doesn't even look human at all. It was a humanoid creature with pale blue skin that seemed to glimmer because of its scales. I was so shocked by what I saw that I ended up staring at Carter with my mouth hanging open.

My eyes were burning and my vision was blurry, but it wasn't that blurry enough that I could not distinguish unique features to identify that what was sitting before me was not human.

"Arie, you're—" The creature, who sounded a lot like Carter, got up and attempted to come towards me. Blue webbed hand begins to reach out to me, making me panic.

"Get away from me!" I slap his hand away. My chest palpitating so much that I am beginning to sweat. I get up from my seat and move several steps back. I was in haste that I stepped on the back of the hem of my dress, causing me to fall back. The two servants and the creature are staring at me with perplexed expressions. "What are you? You're not human!"

The creature's face panicked and darkened. It turns to the maids behind him. "The princess seems to be delirious. Call the doctor. I will stay with her."

"Yes, Duke Carter. Please watch over the princess." The two maids bow to him before hurrying to leave the room.

Carter? Was I hearing them right? Is Carter the creature standing in front of me?

The door clicks shut, bringing my attention back to Carter, who seems to have relaxed his expression. The creature glowers at me, crossing its arms, and sneers at me with sharp teeth.

"Something tells me that someone interfered with my potion. I wonder who it is." Carter heads over and I immediately backpedaled to get away until my back hits a wall. Carter kneels in front of me. Cold hands grabbed my chin as his green wide pupils looked closely into my eyes. "It's rather powerful. Tell me, princess. Which being were you in contact with that broke the spell I had on you?"

A spell? What is he talking about?

"Duke Carter, the doctor is here!" There was a knock on the door that fortunately diverted his attention away from me.

"I'll be right there." Carter calls out. His gaze narrowed when looking at me. "We'll continue this conversation later." He whispers before getting up and heading towards the door. 

~*~*~END OF CHAPTER~*~*~