16. Pequenos Pasos

It's a week after the incident that broke Rafael's arm and damaged Cash's body

It's a week after the incident that broke Rafael's arm and damaged Cash's body. Alba and Victoria are preparing to throw a small birthday party for Rafael, who grumbles every time he hears about it. I am helping here and there whenever I finish my work at the infirmary. The amount of men this mafia has makes me think that half of the city is in it. Many women and men come to the infirmary for checkups, even if they already know that there's nothing wrong with them. Despite the infirmary situated in the main house where we all live, all the mafia men and women are welcomed whenever they want.

I take a quick shower and dry my hair. I put it up in a bun with my brown elastic and let two strands in the front down. I spray some perfume and put on lip balm.

I wear my two-piece black blouse, wide-leg pants, and black vans.

I walk out of my bedroom and head downstairs to eat breakfast with the rest. The sound of plates clattering travel to my ears as I walk down the stairs, feeling excited to eat Victoria's breakfast. She cooks amazing food.

"Good morning," I say as I walk into the kitchen. Victoria is standing behind the stove as usual, while two other maids helping around. Alba is cutting the lettuce as she looks to be in charge of the salad.

"Good morning, darling," Victoria replies with a smile.

"What should I do?" I ask, putting one of the two strands behind my ear.

"Don't do anything, honey. Just go and join Rafael in the dining room and look pretty."

Alba breaks out laughing, dropping the knife onto the table. My cheeks turn the color of roses and I avoid looking at either of them. The back of my neck feels hot, slowly spreading to the front. My heart beats accelerate, making me feel like I am about to faint.

"Oh, I am just kidding, no need to get all red," Victoria says with a smirk.

Damn it.

"I—I'll go t-then," I stutter, embarrassing myself even more.

I quickly leave the kitchen and head toward the dining room. Excitement spread through my body for no reason.

I am not excited to see Rafael, am I?

Cash, Alex, Andrew, and Rafael are sitting on the chairs talking as they wait for the food.

"Good morning," Andrew greets me as I walk in and join them.

"Good morning," I reply, looking at everyone. The rest replied with either good morning or hey.

The seats beside Andrew and Cash are empty, but I ignore Andrew and sit beside Cash, making his face fall.

"How are you, Cash?" I ask.

"Not bad, have been better," he replies with a teasing smile.

"And your arm, Rafael?" I direct my gaze at Rafael, who was already looking at me.