Chapter Eight

Before leaving the church, Gunnar pulled Honeydew aside, mentioning he had questions, and now he was asking them

Before leaving the church, Gunnar pulled Honeydew aside, mentioning he had questions, and now he was asking them. Which she didn't mind.

She understood Gunnar's concern. And she always hoped to be honest and genuine no matter the cost.

"It's obvious that I'm attracted to him, and we have a connection." She said and left out the fact that she truly liked him so far. His intentionality and charm made her feel comfortable. "But you never know what will happen. I hope that if things don't work, we at least communicate."

The front door opened, and Jace came running out.

"Honeydew! I want you to see my pool! It's not my pool, but it's my mama and pops, but I stay with them after school at the diner or here until my daddy gets me. He brings Hunter and we go home, and sometimes I get candy. I can show you my candy too, they hide it, but for you I can show you. They will get mad and say I can't have it, but they can't get mad if you're here," Jace rambled, making Honeydew's head spin.

The boy had a lot to say and barely breathed while speaking.

"Okay," Honeydew answered, and Jace took her hand. Completely ignoring Gunnar's presence, he pulled her into the house and took her to the living room.

"Hunter! Honeydew is here, and you can tell her about the compassion dog you want. She can tell daddy to get it, and we can have it and be happy," Jace yelled at Hunter, who was sitting on the couch.

Gunnar followed behind the pair and sat next to Hunter.

Honeydew looked at Hunter and noticed he looked uncomfortable and annoyed.

"It's alright, Jace. Hunter doesn't have to," Honeydew said softly, hoping that Jace would drop it. She didn't want to cause any trouble.

Beau walked out of the kitchen with two glasses of water and handed one to Honeydew and the other to Gunnar.

"Miss Honeydew, I do hope you enjoy lunch." He said and charmed her with a smile.

He was so handsome.

"Daddy, Hunter doesn't want to tell Honeydew about the compact dog." Jace whined and stomped his foot. "Hunter, Honeydew isn't evil like mommy. She will listen and be nice," Jace said pointedly to Hunter.

Honeydew bit her lip as Hunter's face turned red. His eyes filled with worry, and he ran out of the living room.

Beau sighed and followed after him, leaving Honeydew confused.

She wasn't stupid. Something happened with their mother, and Hunter obviously had unresolved trauma.

This was the thing she didn't want to happen. She didn't want to cause drama, but it was too late. Her existence was troubling the boy.

"Hi, Honeydew! Did you find your way here nicely?" Renee asked as she left the kitchen.

Her eyes scanned the room, and she sighed.