Chapter Five

Skipper
Saying I get concerned about Kowalski would be an understatement. He rarely opens up and the few times he does it takes a lot of effort to convince him it is okay to. I would say he is reserved but in many ways that would be an understatement. The thing is he can talk about other things quite easily but as soon as it comes to new people or opening up she clams shut like a shell even though he knows us pretty well by now. It is upsetting as well because I wish he would trust me more but that seems improbable. Even when it comes to something as minor as a windowsill seat or a minor injury he stays silent. I sigh, frowning, and get an ice pack out of the freezer. Then I fake a smile as I head back into the living room where Kowalski has returned to sorting the tools.

I sit by him again, gently taking the tool he is holding and pressing the ice against his bruised hand. He winces, pulling away slightly, but I hold his hand in place. He needs the ice or that is going to bruise even more.
"Skipper, are you okay?" Kowalski's voice asks, breaking me out of my thoughts. I nod, trying to think of ways to make it more obvious he can trust us enough to open up. Or at least to me. "Are you sure? You seem...worried."
"No, I'm fine," I reply. He gives me an unconvinced look. "Really, Kowalski, I am fine. Just worried about you."
"Me?" he asks, perplexed. "But there's noth-"
"There is everything to worry about, Kowalski," I interrupt, letting go of the icepack and rubbing the crease between my brows. "You always seem to get into the most trouble and seem the most emotionally vulnerable but you never just talk! How hard is it to talk, Kowalski?" I realise my tone is turning harsh as my voice rises slightly. He flinches and I fall silent realising I am being way too harsh.
"Pretty hard," he murmurs, pulling his hand away and pressing the ice against it himself. His gaze goes from not meeting mine to being solidly locked on the ground again. "Not everyone is as extroverted as you, y'know?"

The silence between us is tense and awkward and he doesn't look at me. I take several deep, calming breaths and sigh.
"Sorry. Just..." my voice trails off as I consider how to word this. "There's introverted and then there's you. Reclusive, I think that's the word I want. I'm worried because I feel like anything could happen to you but you would stay silent. Locking yourself away in your head."
"I...Sorry, but there really is noth-"
"It isn't, Kowalski!" I snap, shaking my head. He sighs. "Don't you trust me?" Finally he makes eye contact, a mix of shock, hurt and confusion crossing his features.
"Of course I do, Skipper," he replies. "This just isn't the kind of thing I am good at. I'm sorry." His expression becomes more downcast and his expression seems lacking for a better word. "I'm sorry I didn't make it clear. I'm-"
"Hey, stop, it is okay," I say. "Just. I know you are trying but...if you try more then..." What am I saying? I need to phrase this better. I sound so far from empathy and understanding. Ugh, opposite ends of the spectrum. Kowalski over thinks everything he says but I don't think at all. "Jeez. Okay. Just, try to open up more to me because God, I worry about you with how quiet you are. Okay?"
"Okay?" he quietly agrees but his tone is still questioning. Still an improvement though. I grin.

"Now. Kowalski," I say, cheerfully. "Can I help? With the building thing?"
"You want to help me?" he asks, doubtfully. "Why?"
"Could be fun," I say. "Unless you don't want the help?"
"No, help would be nice," he says. "It is just surprising, that's all." You never seem to have much interest in DIY." I chuckle. He isn't wrong but an opportunity to spend time with Kowalski doing something he enjoys? Heck yeah!
"So how can I help?" I ask, hoping I sound enthusiastic.
"Honestly, Skipper. The only things you could help with probably aren't that interesting," he says. "It would mostly be holding things in place."
"That's fine," I reply. "Sounds like it would make your job easier?" He nods. "Then it is definitely good."
"Are you exaggerating?" he asks with a doubtful expression.
"Maybe a tad," I admit as I hold the bit he is doing in place, making sure to keep my fingers curled in my palms to avoid getting hurt. "But it is something to do and makes it less likely you'll get yourself hurt by doing too much at once." His sheepish expression gives away that happens more than it should but I don't comment. Pushing for answers is never good with Kowalski. Nor is it effective.

The seat slowly comes along but not overly so. It is nice working with him on something he loves like this because he lets some of his guard down, a half smile forming and him seeming much less on edge.

                                    -----------------------------------

When the wooden bit is done we add a soft layer.
"That'll have to dry for a day so it sets in place," Kowalski says as he begins to put the tools away. I would help but I don't want to put them back in the wrong place and make his life difficult. He already does an incredibly difficult job.
"How do you do it?" I ask him. He tilts his head with a confused expression. "All the science and inventing? Heck even coming up with an invention must be hard."
"I guess," he agrees with a shrug. "But you can fight and lead, that is way harder."
"It is?" I ask, doubtfully. He nods. "Huh. To each their own I suppose. Working on anything interesting right now?" A small nod. "Can I see?" He nods again and we head to the lab.

On the workbench is a thick board, curved up. It kind of reminds me of a surfboard but thicker and wider. Attached to the bottom is some kind of engine.
"Hover boards. Proper ones for speed flying rather than just going a few inches up," he explains. "Sounded fun so..." His voice trails off.
"Also practical if we need to get to get through a window ever," I agree. "Can I try it?"
"It is still isn't in the initial testing stage," he replies. Aw... "Once I know it is safe you can if you want but it'll take a long time to get there, this is a side project."
"That would be nice," I agree with a smile. "How do we not fall though? If it is that high..."
"Something that locks them in place, like an additional shoe which connects your shoes to the board," he replies. "Not the greatest explanation but the simplest I could put it."
"I get it," I reply, "And a good explanation given I wouldn't get anything else. I'm not a genius like you."
"Not a geni-"
"Your IQ would say otherwise," I interrupt, watching a slight blush cross his face. He attempts to hide it by hiding his face in his hands.

Mentally I kick myself. Do not think of my teammates as adorable. Do. Not. Well when he is blushing he kind of is adorabl- Stupid brain!
"Uh...are you okay?" Kowalski asks. Shoot, I am acting weird.
"Yeah, I'm fine," I reply. I am, just need to stop thinking this way. Otherwise he will notice given how smart he is. "I'm getting a coffee, want a tea?" I head to the kitchen without waiting for an answer because I know it'll be a yes anyway.

As I make the tea there is a slight knock on the door and I look up to see Gale.
"I finished the rainbow room," he says. "Sorry it took so long but it was an awkward shape and some layers had to dry between coats."
"It's fine," I reply with a smile. "Giving it is getting late would you like to continue tomorrow?"
"That works, if not too much trouble?" he replies and I nod. We discuss times and he leaves: at around the same time Private and Rico come back.

"Your room is done," I let Private know who grins widely and skips off to see.
"I love it!" he calls enthusiastically from his room. He skips back in.
"You won't be able to sleep there tonight though," Kowalski comments, glancing up from a book.
"Why not?" Private asks with a frown.
"Wet paint isn't good for you," Kowalski replies. I nod in agreement.
"You can take my room for the night, Private," I say, knowing if he has the living room to himself cartoons will be playing all night. Loudly.
"Thanks, Skipper," Private says brightly and I return his smile, glad we brought a more comfortable sofa.