Chapter Fourteen

Kowalski
I wait until the others are back before I consider exiting the now locked lab, not wanting to be alone with Gale after that entire incident. I am really hoping it was just a one off incident but given how much he seems to hate me I doubt it. That level of hatred very much implies this will happen again. I just need to avoid being alone with him which unfortunately is easier said than done. We live in the same house and given I can't tell there is every chance we'll be left alone during a mission again. I swallow slightly at the idea of that and finally head out, wincing as I move. My side aches so I am assuming I'm pretty badly bruised. I force my expression to be nonchalant so I can hide that something is going on. As I head into the living room Gale shoots me a quick glare, a clear warning to stay quiet.
"You three okay?" he asks. "Heard things went wrong."
"Soggy. The water was gross," Rico mutters. "Plus that ambush was annoying."
"Sounded it," I say. They head off to use the showers and I try to head back to my room so I'm not left alone with Gale.

He grabs my wrist, twisting it slightly, making me pause midstep.
"Remember on what we agreed?" he mutters, probably so the others don't hear. I nod. "What was that?"
"Yes," I mumble, staring at the ground, feeling my shoulders sink further. I hate giving in this easily but I don't want anyone getting hurt because of me not being strong enough to stop him or handle a few kicks.
"Good," he says, releasing the painful grip on my wrist which I rub slightly.

I quickly retreat to the kitchen and start making lunch but the slightest sound keeps making me jump as I keep worrying that it is Gale. Get a hold of yourself! Anyone could tell that something is wrong if you keep acting like this. I chop the onion as tiny as he could, throwing it into the hot butter and oil along with garlic.
"Hey," the sudden voice makes me jump and the blade goes far too close to my fingers. "Shit, sorry didn't realise you were using a knife."
"It is fine, Skipper," I say waiting for the ingredients to soften before I can add anything else. He sits on the chair nearby, watching me cook.
"I thought it was my day to cook?" he comments.
"Dinner, not lunch," I point out. "Besides, I needed something to do." Deciding that it is soft enough I mix in the lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper.

"How do you think they know our plans?" Skipper asks me. "That is twice lately now."
"Well Blowhole isn't an idiot," I say, adding the wine then letting it simmer and I turn around to talk. "So he probably has a way to hear some of our plans given he always gets communication through our television."
"Fair point," he says. "But still..."
"I know, it's weird," I agree. "Maybe we need to go less on instinct and more on planning? Maybe what we're doing is too predictable?"
"Hmm, moments like this make me glad you are my lieutenant Kowalski," Skipper comments, making me smile slightly, using my hair to hide behind slightly. "Total genius and the one of us who uses logic."
"That's because I am the one of us who can't fight," I point out, adding the risotto rice on a lower heat. Skipper gives me a disproving look. "What? I can't!"

Skipper sighs.
"You can fight, just not brilliantly," he says. "Then again I think part of it is you are too nice to do any real damage to anyone." His hand encircles my wrist slightly and I try not to wince as that puts slight pressure on the bruise. "Plus you stay really scrawny so you don't have much muscle for punching." He lets go and I stir in the mushrooms, not saying anything to that. He's right for half of it but I'm not that nice. I'm just average in every sense of the word. I slowly start adding the stock, not wanting to talk in case I let slip what is going on. Skipper has always been the best at getting the truth from me given he is who I feel the most comfortable with out of anyone I have ever met. "Hey, what are you even making? It smells good."
"Risotto," I reply, giving it a stir. "I figured you could use something like this after the mission?"
"As always you are right," he says with a grin. "Plus it is your cooking so that is bonus points." Again I fight the urge to smile because it is a really nice compliment but I am pretty sure he is exaggerating. My cooking, whilst not bad, isn't as good as Skipper describes it.

I finally serve and we head to the table, making conversation on how to make the mission work next time. I go and get the drinks as an excuse to grab some painkillers. Hopefully that'll make the pain in my side go down, at least a little. The food is pretty good but my appetite is ruined given I am sat opposite Gale who keeps shooting me glares when everyone else isn't paying attention. As a result I only eat about half of it so Skipper finishes it off.

Given the painkillers didn't do much I decide to have a shower to see if the hot water will help. Plus that means I can spent the rest of today in my pyjamas reading which is a dream day. I can't carry on with my invention for a few days given my supplies for the part I need to do next are on the way. I look in the mirror and it certainly explains the pain: my stomach and sides are purple and black with bruises. Plus given it is recent they are going to get worse before better. I really must be unlikable to warrant this. I sigh, and step into the water hoping it'll clear my head somewhat or help with the aching.

Skipper
Kowalski looks extremely adorable in his py- NO. Stop seeing him as adorable! I mean he kind of is adorable though and the pyjamas certainly contribute...Stupid mind! Still.
"Have you considered not having oversized ones?" I ask. They are really loose on him and the sleeves go way past his hands. "I mean you could get ones that fit."
"I like these ones," he says with a loose shrug. "They're Doctor Who ones and they didn't come in my size...Plus I can't sew that well so..."
"Wanna watch some more Doctor Who?" I offer. Then glance at the book. "Or busy reading?"
"Doctor Who would be nice," he says, standing up from the beanbag then noticeably winces.
"Are you okay?" I ask, worriedly. He nods. "Are you sure?"
"I'm fine, Skipper," he says, playing with the ends of his fringe and using it to hide behind which he often does when feeling insecure from what I've noticed. "I just twisted my ankle from standing up too fast." I sigh in relief slightly. I don't like any of my group getting hurt but in particularly Kowalski because he never seems to do as much about it.

We head to the living room, Kowalski sat curled in a small ball.
"Gale, Rico and Private went to the cinema," I tell him. "They thought it would be good to spend some fun time with the newest member of the group but I doubted you would like the film they were seeing."
"Probably not," he says. "There isn't anything on in the cinema right now that doesn't look like a mix of a cash grab and cliché packed filler." I chuckle slightly. The fact that he makes even something simple over the top is pretty funny really. In a cute- No! No matter how much I think that about him I have to avoid it. Otherwise I could end up saying it aloud which could end up warping our friendship. That is something I could never risk sacrificing because it is one of the best things I have going for me. That sounds really harsh that I don't automatically think that with other friendships but Kowalski is different than other friendships. More...fragile. Plus now I know he went through so much bullying it is a big deal he even let me be his friend after I was such as asshole like other people throughout his life.

I put on the episode and put the duvet over me because it is getting pretty chilly again.
"Wanna share the duvet?" I offer.
"If there's enough duvet?" he replies with a questioning note. I give him some of it and move closer so it is more evenly shared (plus I like sitting near him). I watch the episodes with him and despite the fat we aren't talking over it his presence and company is as nice as ever.