chapter 43

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

6 months ago.

"Gwen, maybe you should stop!" Alexandria, her best friend, told Gwen as she poured her a drink.

A Bloody mary, because it is Gwen's favorite.

Gwen took the glass and drunk the entire drink all at one go. "I can't. Not when I am this close!"

She then push the glass to Alex so she can pour her another one.

"Do you have to though, marry Jeremy? He will feel used if he ever finds out. He will misunderstand."

"It is the only way." Gwen said as she took a sip of her drink.

"Gwen.."

"I don't want this too. I never wanted to take this route, but he is my best chance right now."

Although she had a few bruises on her body here and there, she had to be strong.

Tomorrow was her first day of working at the mental institute as a cleaner. She looked at her wound but reminded herself it was nothing compared to what her mum went through.

She swallowed her pain and looked at her work uniform she had with her in a bag.

When Alex saw the uniform, she felt her heart beat fast. "Be careful Gwen. That place is full of so much pain and suffering. Don't let it take a toll on your mental health." Alex advised.

"I'm be careful, I just know there are some of my mum's belongings I wasn't given. Something that could be very important."

"I don't know Gwen, I'm also scared for you. Those places are so scary. You can't do this alone!"

Gwen didn't want to get anyone involved, even her sister doesn't know. When she finds out, Gwen will just call it truce because Elsa didn't tell her about her brain tumor. Gwen found out on her own.

"If I ever need help, I know who to run to," she sweetly said.

Alex sighed deeply before returning her smile, she was just about to say something when she noticed what she hadn't before because of the blue lights in the bar.

Gwen's hand was bandaged.

"Gwen, what happened to your hand?" Alex asked taking it into her hand as examining it.

Gwen immediately took it back. "It's nothing, I just fell!"

"Was it Esther? Or Victoria?"

Gwen looked at her not knowing what to answer. She didn't want her to worry.

But that only made Alex panic, she called her name with a pain in her voice, "Gwen..."

"I know, I know. But Alex, I have to. This is nothing compared to what my mum went through. I have to put up with this if I ever want to find evidence against them."

Alexandria just looks at her silently not knowing what to say now.

"What did the reports say about her death?" She asked this instead.

"They say she was suffering from illusions and one day it was too much for her so she took her own life."

"But why was sodium pentothal found in her system?" Alex asked as that was what Gwen told her before.

"They say it's because it is a psychotic drug. But I didn't see it in her prescription that's why I need to start working there."

"Wait, what is that drug again?" Alex asked looking lost.

"It's a psychotic drug. Sometimes used as an anesthetic. It is used for hypnosis. It opens your mind to suggestions that you listen to without questions.

"She was fed pills that had sodium pentothal.

"And this, for the people on the verge, like mum, it would break down their emotional defense. Make them vulnerable. So they would be willing to do anything they are told, even take their own lives," Gwen said the last part bitterly.

"Do you think that's what happened?" Alex asked.

"I believe so, I just need to prove it... That's why you have to let me go no matter the risks."

Alexandra looked at Gwen and nodded. She had known her for a long time, they were like sisters.

Speaking of sisters, Alex asked Gwen, "When are you planning on telling Elsa all about this?"

"After everything is done. And after she is okay again. I don't want to stress her out!"