Jinxed

By Yakall

A mysterious plague of madness washed over Fablehaven. No outside help. No cure. And they have no idea how t... More

Prologue
Chapter one: little bee
Chapter two: Gawl
Chapter three: Hyre
Chapter four: cloudy
Chapter five: clever boy
Author's note
Chapter six: smell
Chapter seven: the man downstairs
Chapter eight: their walls cannot hold us
Chapter nine: suffice it to say
Chapter ten: he's her son
Chapter eleven: It's Seth Sorenson
Chapter twelve: all choked up
Chapter thirteen: What's next?
Chapter fourteen: we got this here
Chapter fifteen: compromise
Chapter sixteen: substandard
Chapter seventeen: no today
Chapter eighteen: miniscule
Chapter nineteen: proposition
Chapter twenty-one: the boss
Epiloue

Chapter twenty: prison riot

108 5 2
By Yakall

Chapter twenty: Prison Riot
I don't own fablehaven

Bracken would have glared at those around him. And he might've too. But what stood in front of him made his blood boil. Bracken normally wasn't an aggressive person; he tended to take things with a cool head. But that Jinn. All of this—the madness, Kendra's problems, the searching, the parrions, the border shut down, everything—came from him. He was the cause. Bracken shrugged his jacket on a little tighter as best he could. He had taken to wearing it everywhere.

The Jinn looked Bracken over, as if determining his value on a fish scale. The kept his head tilted slightly up and had a regal air about him. It was false. Value empty. An excuse to make up for the absolutely patheticness. This was the kind of being who didn't care about anything but himself. He'd trample anything underfoot to achieve his goals. Bracken didn't know what those might be. It infuriated him. His promises. From that day on Shoreless Isle, he had promised to keep the Sorenson's, and anyone associated with them, protected. Even just earlier he had promised to end things and fix them.

"So this is the famed son of the Fairy Queen I've heard so much about." Bracken pursed his lips. The information must have come from Seth, at least he hoped. Another crisis and he'd go as mad as the diseased.

The Jinn let out a small laugh. "Why the whole dungeon must know about it at this point." The Jinn put a hand to his mouth. "Oh dear, I wonder how that must have happened." He tapped his chin. "Free information. A poor mark of the trade."

"Why?" Bracken demanded. "Why this? Why now? Why?"

"You're a lot smarter than you look. I have to admit the silver hair is a tad bit ridiculous. I've already said too much. If you'd like more information, you could always enter into a wish."

Heat rushed to Bracken's face. His distant curled. He didn't bother to glance at Seth or Warren. "No deal."

The Jinn gave a curt nod. His strange eyes fixed to a point over Bracken's shoulder. Bracken craned his head to look as well, his arms still pinned. From the shadows around the corner, a figure appeared. It was the Minotaur he had talked to a short while before. The unnamed prisoner gave him no heed. His gruff steps brought him to stand between the Jinn and Warren.

But others soon joined them. A minor witch, an imp, and very many other beings he couldn't identify from their spots. They were prisoners, all of them. It seemed as if most of the prison had gathered.

Bracken heard some other noises. People talking? It got closer and he could make our words.

"Jorgo, what'd I tell you to do when I'm fishing for political supremacy? What's I tell ya?" the first asked.

"Quiet. Statue. Shut up," another voice responded.

"Exactly, Jorgo. And what are you not doing?"
"We ain't there yet—"

"Should'uh let Slaggo and Voorsh stay in the business. Then we'd be back in Rio. Ain't that right, Jorgo?"

"Yeah."

"You see, Jorgo, one has to be at the top of the chain. That mean one kisses up to the source of power. Since we aren't with the big shots in Rio, we gotta settle for these munchkins."

"Forvon, we should—" the first, Forvon, let out a laugh.

"Tags the thing 'bout you, Jorgo. Say every word that comes into your head. Ever think someone else wants a chance to speak? Huh, did you, Jorgo?"

What...? Rio? Who were these guys? Bracken of course knew what was in Brazil but—"

The pair walked around the corner, still blubbering words. Both were goblins and had a retched stench. One was taller and lankier than the other.

"Aye look, they really got a pony boy. What a dope, ain't that right, Jorgo said the short one—Forvon. Jorgo gave a nod and opened his mouth to speak. Forvon cur him off again, giving a salute. "We're here boss man."

The Jinn regraded then with a tight-lipped expression. "Very well, join the others." Forvon sauntered over to the growing crowd. Jorgo trudged after him.

Bracken looked at the Jinn, wondering what his game plan was. A wicked smile spread across the Jinn's face like butter. "Well I suppose it's time now that everyone's here."

"For what?" Bracken said.

The Jinn tapped his nose. "Too much. Trick of the trade I tell you."

"Yeah," Forvon piped up, "trick of the trade, right Jorgo?"

Jorgo was once again cut off. "Idiots," The Jinn muttered.

Bracken re-pursed his lips. He needed some way to find out what everyone knew. Every passing second, some new question seemed to pile on his problems.

"Come on," Bracken urged, "every villain has a motive. They need a chance to gloat."

Forvon's head bobbed. "Part of the handbook." He turned to Jorgo.

"No!" The Jinn, Bracken, and a few others protested.

"Sheesh. Jorgo, these guys are like a pack of hyena's when you got a piece of meat strapped to your back."

"Actually—" everyone ignored the other goblin.

The Jinn snapped. "Warren, please relocate our friends." Warren moved to intercept the goblins. Forvon loudly complained. Jorgo didn't seem to care much.

The Jinn turned his attention back Bracken, expression cool. Bracken stared him down, pretending he goblins didn't exist. He could overpower the Samoan man at his back. But Bracken had a plan. He needed to know. Desperately. He owed at least that much.

"Look I don't even know your name yet," Bracken said.

"I would have thought that you or all people would know names have power, Bracken," The Jinn replied.

Bracken didn't comment further. The others in the hallway looked between the two, waiting for the bomb to go off. Each side had time to buy.

"The anticipation is killing me," The Jinn said. "Oh very well." That wicked grin reappeared. "As annoying as Forvon and Jorgo are, they presented me with an opportunity. The idiots came for a wish. They failed, of course, remaining silent at a question. It was only my place to give them punishment. So I created a curse. Any person coming in contact with it would go mad." Like you? "This served two purposes. One, I had the mad people enact revenge against the goblins, consequence fulfilled. Two, it threw Fablehaven into disarray.

"But I didn't realize that until later. I realized that it could prove useful in another way. The Mad, in their state, could be controlled. So I started...controlling them you could say. They'd listen to me, do what I want. Which precisely brings me to this moment. Seth, If you will."

Seth nodded and stepped forward. Bracken had an inkling about what was going to happen. He tried to pull out of Tanu's grip. He found he couldn't. Tanu had grown stronger than he though. Stronger even than a unicorn.
"Seth's just a kid!"

"Is it not often that in stories children save the day? Who ever said it couldn't be the opposite?"

"I request a wish," Seth said, no real Seth in his voice.

"Wonderful. First question: where is the soul of grunhold?"

"It is gone. It was in Bracken's possession until he gave it away. I don't remember where."
"Excellent. Next question: where are the keys to the vaults here?"

"Those are empty."

"Ah, but that's not the point."

"Both keys are located in the hidden potion of the attic."

"Final question—"

"Stop this!" Bracken said. "You won't get away with this."

"The cliché hero line. I'm sure little Kendra loves that. You putting on your daddy's clothes and whatnot. Tell me, Bracken, do you think yourself a hero? And please, a noble response. Or I suppose you could tell me he's only a child, leave him out of this. Yes, very noble indeed."

"Compared to you Is say my chances are plenty good."

"I'm providing these poor souls salvation."
"These people have consequences for their wrong doings!"

"Where you not put in prison yourself?"

"I was captured by an enemy."

"As were they. This really is just going in circles. Seth, third and final question. What is the Fairy Queen's name?"

Bracken gave a gasp. Seth couldn't know it, could be? "You can't a person's name."

"No, I can't ask his given name. Others were never restricted."

"Then how do you know his name?"

"I asked questions of course. Let the boy speak."

"Her name...is Molea. Molea, Yeah." How. Did. He. Know? Only Kendra would be trusted with that knowledge. But now the Jinn and every other being in attendance knew.

"Thank you. What do you want your favor to be?"

"I wish for you to be set free."

As soon as the words were spoken, the Jinn blinked rapidly and what normally shrouded in dark details became visible. Those buggy eyes were prominent. And Bracken could see every distorted facial feature. The Jinn walked past the door barrier. This shouldn't be possible. The only way to be free was to lie on a question. But the Jinn has squeezed information instead. Bastard. The Jinn stepped forward, proffering a hand to shake. Bracken couldn't, his arms were occupied.

"I suppose I should thank you. You were the inspiration for this next bit. You could say we're throwing a bit of a...prison riot."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*Sorry about the wait! I've been real busy (theatre auditions, basketball try-outs, STEM Fair, Orchestra concert, sewing Christmas presents, etc. I umm...like doing things. Very much. I also suck at prioritizing my time. Hehheheh) Anywho, I'm so excited, we're almost done with this! Question...favorite Christmas movie? I gotta go with "The best Christmas pageant ever" if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! It's really great. Thank you so much for reading! Happy Holidays!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1K 27
1# in Fablehaven 1# in Brackendra (completed) When the Knights of the Dawn track down Percy and Annabeth on suspicions of poaching, two worlds...
5.8K 222 22
An evil Kendra AU. Fablehaven fanfic
47.2K 674 15
•Nothing really comes to a end or does it?•smut• • (COMPLETED) ❤️
9K 153 24
It's been about a year since the battle of Zyzzx and they think things at Fablehaven have finally calmed down. When something terrible happens to Set...