fairytale hell asteroid | l.dh

By wovhyuck

You have never been one to mash well with others. But an unlikely incident that pushed you together into a gr... More

note.
one.
two.
three.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
nine.
ten.
eleven.
twelve.
thirteen.
fourteen.
fifteen.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.

four.

90 9 5
By wovhyuck

You wouldn't normally walk with your eyes focused on anything else but the road. The thought of accidentally bumping into someone and having to make small apologetic conversation with them as a result was something you'd rather avoid. Not to mention the potential, awkward, side-stepping session where strangers often seemed to be able to step towards the same direction for more than twice in a row—ugh, what was the probability of that anyway?

However, the campus road was empty today, as per usual. Your class today was located at a building nearing the side of the campus, therefore you didn't need to take a long tour through the main road before you could make your way to the parking lot and thus, out of campus. You could just take a short-cut by the road and you'd find the bus stop in no time.

You took the opportunity to take another look at the final exam guide your professor has just handed to the class. You didn't get the time to pay too much attention to it since the professor was so rushed to finish up with the last chapter; his slurred words and incoherent concept explanation was the worst, but you supposed that was all he could muster when he needed to cram a whole chapter to the class within an hour.

Brows furrowed and the bottom lip caught between your teeth, thoughtful hums were huffed out of your lips with each step as your eyes trailed past the questions slowly, your mind trying to churn up brief answers for each question while recalling what class materials you could find more thorough answers in. So far, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, it was all easy questions.

"Tsk–I already said I don't want to go home!"

Oh? That was a familiar voice being let out in unfamiliar ways. Donghyuck's distinctively bright and husky voice rang through your ears in unnatural ways; you have never heard him growl under his breath like this, like he was genuinely angry.

Peering up from the bottom of the study guide, you lifted your head and tilted the paper to the side so your front view was revealed. As you expected, just a couple of steps away from you stood Donghyuck, his eyes sharp with a glare and his lips pulled into a prominent grimace. You looked to his side, curiosity jumping when you saw a much bigger man in suit pulling at his forearm despite his persistent protest.

Your arms fell to your side, your fingers clutching the study guide ever so tighter as your legs halted to a slow stop. Standing not too far away, you began to watch the ambiguous scene unfold before you, the gears in your head running with many questions, some of which involving: who was that man? What was the reason behind this semi-violent encounter? Was the situation serious enough to have the authorities be called upon? Should you just step in and help him?

"I don't care what mom and dad said, I am not going home!"

Ah, it seemed to be a family matter. Well, that only strengthened your urge to leave the matter be and leave Donghyuck to fend for himself. Or at least, you'd just watch from the sidelines until everything blows off. After all, you should never butt into other people's business, particularly other's family business. Whatever the problem was, there must have been a reason for it, and you did not plan to understand the skeleton hiding in his cupboard.

"Ahh–please leave me be, I don't want any part of the business they're dealing with! I just want to see my friend!"

You raised your brows. The assumption thickened! Perhaps he was forced to follow in his parents' footsteps, thus he had to savor his dead dream alone in his heart, knowing that it will never come true because his parents already has his future planned out for him. What kind of future... you couldn't tell yet, but it wasn't necessary to know in your little fantasy.

Although you knew not to intrude into the family businesses of others, you could never keep yourself from assuming and fabricate a story from the information you could gather. It was the most fun part of social interaction, you thought; making up their background in your head and never letting the truth be revealed to you.

You could stay ignorant and uncaring. Their problems wouldn't be yours and neither would yours be theirs. It was only the bliss of loneliness.

"Huh... I shouldn't interfere, but I do hate it when parents feel obligated to dictate their child's life," you mumbled to yourself, your voice—literally—reasoning with your head. Your eyes focused on Donghyuck's face and you frowned, your heart pounding. Something about the way his lips flipped downwards felt unnatural, you always imagined him to be smirking and confident that seeing him defenseless against a much older adult felt weird.

"And he does look miserable," you concluded your final argument quietly. Then, with two clenched but relaxed fists, you walked up to the two struggling by the curb.

"Donghyuck!"

Ah, a heavenly voice. Any voice that seemed to be coming to his rescue would be heavenly to him, but just because he was feeling a slight intrigue towards you recently, your voice was even more recognizable.

Donghyuck paused movements, stopping his struggles against his family driver, and he turned his head toward the direction where your voice came from. You spared him a short glance, your expression focused but bland as you walked near him until you finally came to a careful stop. You looked up at the man, your brows furrowing slightly at him before turning to Donghyuck.

"I looked forever for you, I thought we were supposed to study together in the library?" You said casually, then you let your confused eyes glance back and forth between him and the strange man, then you hummed. "What's going on?"

"Uh–greetings, you must be Donghyuck's friend."

"Classmate," you corrected on impulsive, then you panicked.

It would probably be easier for you to get Donghyuck out of this situation if you claimed to be his friend just to get more credibility. But if you changed his status now, which would be immediate, it might seem too much like a cover-up, so you kept your mouth shut instead and stared straight ahead at the man.

Donghyuck took a small step back after his arm slipped away from the driver's grip. His previous frown was lightened but it was still etched onto his face. If you hadn't corrected the family driver so quickly on his assumption, he would probably be holding a smirk at the moment, but you did, and he felt icky that his status in your life was nothing more than a mere classmate.

Come on! Not even an acquaintance, at least? He thought you two had something going since the last phone call! You two talked and... well, none of you laughed and you quite literally showed him to what lengths you were willing to go to avoid him, but he thought it was a fun phone call nonetheless! Shouldn't there be some deep-stirred friendship being poured out of your conversation?

He's got to at least be an acquaintance, not just a classmate—yuck! So distant!

"What seems to be the trouble?" You asked, looking forward in an almost challenging manner.

"I'm terribly sorry for the interruption, but I am here upon Donghyuck's parents' request to bring him back home immediately," the driver replied politely, almost giving you the incentive to give up on the matter and maybe even persuade Donghyuck to get on the car and go home, but you've seen how visibly bothered he was about it so you chose to stand on your ground.

"Well, that's very unfortunate for them," you said, "but we already made plans to study together for our final exam today. I apologize, but I'm sure whatever Mr. and Mrs.Lee needed their son for, it wouldn't be urgent, or else they would have notified him beforehand and thus, preventing us from making any plans today."

"It's an emergency, I'm afraid," the driver pressed on, looking slightly more agitated now. "Donghyuck was instructed to be back home immediately."

You let your bottom lip jut out in thoughts. There was no way for you to know if the man's claimed emergency was catastrophic enough that Donghyuck should get over his anxious feelings and jump on the first train back home. Has one of his parents been hospitalized? Or was it as you heard Donghyuck said before, that it was just a business matter he wanted no part of?

You couldn't tell. For all you knew, the driver could just be exaggerating to get you to lose this argument. But if your distrust was misplaced, you would be the culprit of Donghyuck missing important matters about his family, and you did not want that on your conscience either.

Taking a small step back, you looked behind your shoulder at Donghyuck, watching the way his features softened when he looked at you but giving it no serious thoughts. Then you asked, "Did he tell you that it's an urgent matter? Are you sure you don't want to go home?"

"I don't, it's probably just some stupid business people coming over again anyway," he hissed, stepping closer to you as if to hide behind your back.

"Donghyuck, you know your parents only bring them over to help you build connections!"

He pouted at the driver, signifying his lack of gratitude for something he never asked his parents to do. Then he looked at you, his voice timid with a grumble. "I don't want to meet anyone new, especially not those business people."

You blinked at him, then you smiled a little in amusement. Donghyuck widened his eyes a fraction at the elegant and faint way you displayed your joy; this was the first time he has seen you smile, albeit it wasn't a full smile. His eyes rounded when they caught your knowing ones, a tiny blush suddenly engulfing his cheeks when you suddenly stole the confidence out of him.

"I get that feeling, I don't like meeting new people either," you whispered. "Don't worry, I got you."

Donghyuck exhaled slowly, his willpower alone unable to get him to tear his gaze away from your head, be it he was only staring at your side-profile and mostly the back of your head. Your voice was gentle, given that you spoke in a whisper, but having it directed towards him made him shiver. It was like you just shared a secret with him, close and quiet. He hasn't felt that kind of thrill since forever.

He liked it.

"I'm sure Donghyuck isn't so insensible to not go home for an emergency, so if he still has the heart to refuse you, then maybe it's not so urgent after all?" You asked rhetorically, then you blindly reached behind you, your fingers grasping the tip of his hand before your fingers curled loosely around his wrist. "Like I said, we already made plans today to study for the final exam and I would love to be able to carry that out. I am sure Mr. and Mrs.Lee can understand the importance of their son's academic success."

"Well, I–"

"Ajusshi," Donghyuck called out from behind you, his voice much gentler this time. He was cooing, trying to get the driver to listen to him. "Just tell mom and dad I'm studying for my finals and I made the choice not to go home. It'll be fine, I'll take responsibility if you get scolded for this."

The driver narrowed his eyes at Donghyuck. He has worked for the Lee family as a driver ever since Donghyuck was born. Even after Donghyuck could get around the city by himself, he worked to drive the boy around because of his claimed laziness. He has seen all the people Donghyuck hangs around, starting from kindergarten years to university now, and no one has ever matched the impression you left him.

You were unafraid of talking back, you kept a calm demeanor, and you were just the slightest bit of bad at lying. But those were throw-away traits he could notice. The main thing he found you to be different than others was the way Donghyuck acted around you. Perhaps you caught him at a bad time but Donghyuck has never been this quiet around anybody before, not even with him when they were alone in the car.

He has also never met anyone who was just a 'classmate' of this loud-mouthed boy before. You were the first one to correct him on that, and supposedly, the brief surprised pain that flashed before Donghyuck's eyes when you clarified the relationship could go hand-in-hand with the mystery of why he was quiet around you.

"I see," the driver hummed to himself after taking the fifth glare Donghyuck threw him, the boy's eyes darting between you, down at your hands, and back up at the driver. He dipped his head briefly then, bowing. "I'm sorry to have caused trouble, I should be taking my leave now. If you are ready to leave, just give me a call, Donghyuck."

"I will," Donghyuck nodded, "thanks, ajusshi,"

You watched as the driver got back into the car, one which you hadn't given yourself the time to properly look at. Even if you did get a clear look, you wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between this one and all the other ones you see on the road. You just thought it looked expensive, but then again, all cars are expensive anyway so why bother telling the difference.

It was only after the car drove away when you finally breathed out a sigh. That seemed unnecessary but at least the problem was resolved now. Your attention slipped away when you felt a tug at your arm, then you turned around to look at Donghyuck, your eyes trailing down to your hands where you felt a small jolt.

Donghyuck raised his hand in mid-air, somewhere just before his chest, and he pulled at his wrist so it would fall out of your grip. His hand slipped down to yours slowly, and when he finally felt your palm against his, he stopped to slip his fingers through the gaps between yours, steadily intertwining your hands together.

You stood calmly on your spot, your eyes blinking at him in bewilderment. You contemplated if you wanted to hold his hand back, but you figured you two weren't close enough for this kind of comfort, so you simply left him hanging there. It didn't seem to matter much to him, though, as the grin on his face only widened when he spoke.

"Thank you for your help, (Name)!" He said, holding up a thumbs-up gesture.

"You're welcome. I almost walked the other way because it sounded like a family matter, but you looked far too despairing for me to ignore you," you said, tilting your hand. Upon the need to prove a point, you let your fingers engulf his hand and you spoke nonchalantly, "But I don't understand why you're holding my hand? Last time I checked, an expression of gratitude doesn't require the act of hand-holding."

Donghyuck exhaled in defeat, but he sounded more endeared than annoyed. You took things too literally, sometimes he didn't know whether he wanted to carry on the conversation with the same seriousness or to lighten it up with his natural charisma. But, ultimately, he found himself growing to like that part of you, even though he has shown irritation to it before.

"It is my way of showing gratitude, okay?" He clarified, bouncing your intertwined hands in the air. "And I like holding people's hands, it's like an instant serotonin boost."

"I see," you hummed, "I must say, out of all the weird likings you've shown me, not that you've shown a lot, this one is the most normal. I can get on board with this–"

"Hey! I don't have weird kinks!" Donghyuck exclaimed, stomping his feet on the ground comically as he faked a tantrum.

"I didn't say it is a kink," you said calmly, watching him with bored eyes. "You're the one who keeps saying that."

Weird, antagonistic noises continued to leave his mouth until he was finally done with his temper tantrum. It was almost funny to see him fake getting all worked up over such a trivial topic, but the fun lasted for a while and you were ready to let go of him. Your hands were starting to get a little sweaty out of pure, biological reasons and not because you particularly liked him or anything.

"If you're done with whatever you were doing, I guess I should leave now, then," you said as you pulled your hand away from his, bringing it back to your side and unknowingly curling it into a fist.

Donghyuck widened his eyes, his step rigid as he moved to stand in your way. He held out his hands, stopping you, and he chuckled nervously. "Woah, where are you going?"

You shrugged. "Leaving campus."

"I'm sorry, I thought I heard somebody say we are going to study in the library?" He said, tapping his chin with his index finger, his eyes rolling up in thoughts. "Let me think... huh... ah! You said that."

You furrowed your brows, a troubled expression replacing your nonchalant look. The troubled look wasn't meant for you, though, it was meant for him. Holding up your hands, your study guide still being gripped by one of them, you waved your hands slightly.

"Oh, no, Donghyuck. You misunderstood, I only said that to get the man to leave you alone," you said, almost sounding worried. "I see you've taken my words too literally, huh? It's not bad to do that, but you should read the context sometimes."

"Hearing that from you makes me exceptionally annoyed for some reason," Donghyuck muttered to himself with a jaw-clenching smile, his head lowering to eye the floor before he looked back up at you. He sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Fine. If we're not gonna study then let's grab lunch together."

You shook your head without hesitation, your mind made up in an instant. "That's fine, we don't have to."

"Oh, but I want to," he retorted, leaning his torso forward so his face could get closer to yours.

He smiled, his brows arching suggestively. A light fire burned in his chest when you didn't lean back to avoid him, your eyes unblinking as you stared him down the way he was doing you. You just weren't affected by him whatsoever. Unlike how most people he has encountered would have reacted to him, your plain but curious features serving more as an encouragement than not.

A small tinge of shyness and a huge chunk of brief infatuation fluttered up to his chest. Ah, you're so fascinating!

"How about this, we will head to lunch and then we can work on the project together," he suggested. "I promise I'll actually work hard on it."

"I have to work after lunch."

Donghyuck's confidence didn't falter. He gave a shrug and corrected himself, "So we'll just have lunch together."

You didn't answer him, partly because you didn't see why he wanted to have lunch with you. Donghyuck has other friends, surely, so why pick you? Wasn't he also waiting for somebody, as he mentioned earlier when he was failing so badly at getting the driver to leave him alone? Whatever happened to that friend, did he plan on ditching them?

"You're overthinking, aren't you?" He cut off your train of thoughts, tilting his head as he smirked at the grimace on your face. Rocking on his heels, he steadied himself on the ground again before he chuckled light-heartedly, his voice a gentle mess. "If you have questions, you should just ask. That's the only way you can get an accurate answer."

"It's not always that easy to open your mouth and just speak," you said, shaking your head. "Although, when push comes to shove, I suppose I could. But I often prefer not to bother people with my overwhelming thoughts."

"Oh? That's funny because I am the king of being overwhelming," he jabbed a thumb toward his chest, pointing at himself proudly, "we're so compatible, I think we might actually be destined to be together."

You hummed out a short giggle, rolling your eyes at his unbelievable words. "If we're meant to be together, I would have known you in high school, don't you think?"

"Fair point," he nodded, "but don't you think us just barely brushing past each other in the hallway is kind of thrilling? Adventurous? Romantic?"

"No."

You didn't have to be that blatant with him, (Name).

Donghyuck blew air out of his mouth with a pout, his forehead creasing with a frown at your honesty. He knew it was coming yet somehow he couldn't prepare himself for it, ever. Finally relaxing his features, he took a deep breath and looked at you, giving himself a moment to gather up his feelings.

"I just want to have lunch with you, so would you please?" He asked again, twisting and turning shyly in an exaggerated way to hide the real nervousness beneath his trembling bones. "Come on, let me treat my lord and savior to lunch, I almost got kidnapped by my parents."

You watched him with hopeless eyes, then you sighed with a nod. "Fine, but I have to go straight to work after lunch so don't try to delay me."

"Yes can do, captain!" Donghyuck exclaimed with a broad voice, his smile widening as he caught up with you after you walked away on your own.

He wasn't sure why he insisted on having lunch with you. He just knew he wanted to, especially after you helped him out with his parents. Maybe it was because he found you interesting, or it was because of the puppy crush he decided to miraculously develop on you after years of being chased by others and never falling in love himself.

There was a certain thrill to it; liking somebody who was inaccessible, liking someone who takes time to break open, liking somebody 'different.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

783K 19.4K 65
❝I'm pretty, you're naughty. Together, we'd be... pretty naughty.❞ ©DONGHYUQUE , 2019
97.7K 4.3K 30
❝was the fame worth our friendship?❞ ꒰ when a childhood love story finally gets to blossom as donghyuck comes home from seoul. he knows his feelings...
174K 6.2K 52
❝ wow jisung. you clearly didn't torment her enough...they're usually a little more...terrified ❞ ↳ wha...
2K 88 9
You can't seem to confront your best friend about your very embarrassing crush on him, so you do what you think is best (which is not very wise of yo...