Under The Murky Water

By yum_yum12

Estrella River Presley has been the reigning it girl of Preston Academy. Her biggest worry was that all she h... More

aesthetics
1
2
3
5

4

42 4 0
By yum_yum12

[chapter 4]

Under the light of the golden sun, he seemed ethereal. His black hair that reminded her of the midnight sky and his tan skin that was only emphasized by the golden rays.

She felt like an obsessed stalker, a thought that quickly had her turning her gaze somewhere else.

Tonight was a special night. For it was the night of The Party. "The Party" was a coined term given to the first Friday of the school year.

It was the first weekend the kids were allowed to go home but nobody actually went home the first weekend.

Instead they spent Friday night at Jack Daniel's summer house, either passing out in one of the various rooms or checking themselves into one of the hotels nearby.

For Estrella and her friend group was the reserved top floor of the house, their place of solitude for the weekend.

But you see, "The Party" never ended. It was an all night rager that sometimes went into the next night. It was the ultimate mix of illegally smuggled alcohol and coke passed around on a silver platter.

Nobody survived and everybody went.

However Estrella never expected everybody to include Achilles.

He was already a known recluse, even though only one week had passed. His presence almost made Estrella shameful for wearing the tightest latex red dress she owned.

Almost being the keyword here. Estrella Preseley never let what a man would think of her control her actions.

Jack's house was humongous. It was a summer house that exceeded expectations and yet made perfect sense. Jack's parents were known to be a bit eclectic, known for their extravagant lifestyle that mirrored the Versace mansion.

However Jack himself was a bit of a recluse. Jack Daniels. Jack who never said a word. Jack whose face remained sad, his eyes full of hurt. Jack the philosopher, who knew Aristotle and Socrates by heart.

Jack who hadn't seen his parents in five years.

Jack who spent all his winter and summer breaks alone.

Jack who never had someone to nurture him when sick.

Jack who never had someone to share his happiness with.

Jack who picked up a bottle at age eleven and never put it down.

Jack who overdosed twice last year.

Jack who disappeared for four months last year.

Jack who attempted suicide twice last year.

Jack whose parents still never came home. Not even a call, not even a card.

He was known to throw the best parties but he never quite appeared at them for long.

So when Estrella felt bored, suffocated by all the people staring at her, she knew exactly where to go.

Slowly she made her way up the servants spiral staircase, all the way up to the attic where one of the old servant quarters was.

Her tall red heels clicked against the fragile wooden floors, almost scaring her into thinking she'll fall.

With tremendous effort she walked across the expansive space until she made it to the window seat where her dear friend awaited.

Jack, as always, nursed a bottle of his namesake as his eyes remained fixed on the party going on outside.

"J I'm losing it," she whispered as she sat down next to him. The boy, without glancing at her even once, offered the bottle.

Estrella took a swig before passing it back to him. The silence between them pulsated through the summer night. The muffled voices from the party outside only added to the feeling of solitude.

"The madness of love is the greatest of heaven's blessings." His words were spoken with deliberate thought, dragging each word with serious thought.

"Aristotle?" she questioned. Jack shook his head, "Plato."

"I'm not in love J." "But it's the matter of the heart."

For a few seconds Estrella was stunned. Wasn't it always a matter of the heart, Estrella mused. Whether it be her parents, self-love or a stupid crush.

It was always the matter of the heart. Fuck the heart.

In silence, they watched the scene outside. They watched the crazy teenagers that seemed lost in the music and the alcohol. They watched as Adrianna humiliated a freshman with her gang of wannabes. They watched as Michael played beer pong with his team mates. They watched as Achilles stayed in one corner of the party, watching everyone around him.

"Wanna join me outside J" she asked, her eyes filled with hope. But his response was as expected, a quick no followed with good luck. Estrella gave him a small smile, pressing her lips to his cheek for a quick goodbye.

Estrella walked back down and outside to the garden where everyone had gathered. Not feeling like sucking up to other kids, she decided to confront Achilles once again.

She had hoped their conversation out in the courtyard had made him understand her a little more. She had hoped his hate for them may have simmered down.

As if sensing her presence, Achilles' head shot up in her direction and he watched her walk towards him. But just a couple feet away, Estrella felt herself being dragged back.

She turned around instantly, disappointment overwhelming her senses.

"Estrella I'm bored babe, a game of truth and dare?" It was Adrianna with her blindingly sparkling dress and a pout on her face.

Just as Estrella opened her mouth to refuse, Adrianna had already moved on to her next target.

Achilles.

"Achilles, why don't you join us? Have a little fun? Get to know each other?" Her sultry tone and instant raise of the hip were clear indications of what Adrianna was actually trying to do.

Estrella scoffed, hoping that Achilles would refuse. But to her horror, he nodded and let Adrianna drag him away.

She rolled her eyes as she followed them inside the house. The large living room had mostly been cleared and many of their classmates sat around on the sofa.

Estrella perched herself on Michael's armchair, letting her arm curl around his neck. She stole the glass of whiskey that rested on his palm, shooting it back to feel the familiar burn.

Across from them, Adrianna took a seat on the couch next to Achilles. Her hand casually resting on his thigh, Adrianna looked straight at Estrella.

"Oh Es, love the dress. Is it the last season Saint Laurant?" her eyes sparkled. Estrella's deep red lips pulled into smirk as she took another sip of Michael's whiskey.

"You mean this unreleased Thierry Mugler dress? Oh A, aren't you going into design?" her words were equally venomous, if not more. Adrianna didn't have much to say, as the girls around Estrella fawned over her dress.

She could see the embarrassment on Adrianna's face, the curl of her lips as she fought the want to sneer at Estrella. Clearing her throat she finally spoke, "Alright let's play a game. Truth or dare anyone?"

Everyone nodded their head eagerly except for Estrella. She rose to her full height, rolling her eyes. "Sorry ladies and gentleman, a bit too childish for me."

With that she walked away, fully knowing that once she condemned something, nobody else would play. Slowly everyone would run away from Adrianna's stupid game, either to follow the Queen B to wherever she went or busy themselves into something else.

Her long legs took her across the house, out the door and down the long gravel driveway. Estrella felt suffocated, she was thinking too much. She was doing too much.

And all of a sudden, alcohol didn't seem to be the cure.

Trying to remember words from her counselor, Estrella took deep breaths.

"Are you hyperventilating?"

She let out a short scream, jumping in fear. Breathing fast, Estrella turned around to see the greek hero namesake behind her.

Achilles, with his hands stuffed down his pockets, stared at her. His focused gaze, eyes wide and attentive made her breathless. At that moment, Estrella found herself flustered.

She felt like a rare diamond, an unreleased purse that nobody knew about.

He wasn't the first person to follow her, she drew people towards her like a flame to a moth. But he was the only one that she had cared about.

He raised one eyebrow, awaiting her response. Collecting herself, Estrella rolled her eyes and pressed her lips together.

"The one and only, Achilles Alessi, is seeking me out. To what gods should I leave an offering to?"

He leaned back on the balls of his feet, a slight blush overtaking his otherwise tan face.

"Surprisingly everyone left once you did. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty," his words were spoken in a teasing manner, soft and kind.

Estrella let out a small laugh. "Ah, just another witness to my power. Did I bewitch you enough to join my forces?"

Never ever had she said words so dorky. But all of a sudden she didn't feel so suffocated, her own mind felt at peace.

Saying nothing, Achilles trudged forward and fell in place next to her. Quietly they trekked forward, inches separated but close enough for hands to brush ever so often.

Not that Estrella was purposefully leaning her hands to do so.

The front of the house was largely quiet, just the muffled noises of the party that occurred right in the backyard. In that moment, they had never felt more exposed, never felt more as if they were the only ones on this earth.

Estrella walked aimlessly, turning her head to the side every so often to take her stolen looks at the boy next to her.

However it seemed like Achilles had different plans.

While Estrella slowed down to turn around as they approached the main gate, Achilles walked on forward.

Was he leaving?

"Off already?" She called out, standing in one place.

Achilles paused, turning around slowly. With one hand shoved in his pocket, he scratched his head.

"Yeah it's too late already, I'm going to call a taxi" he explained as he tried to grab his phone out of his pocket.

"You can't," she blurted, almost screaming. Achilles looked startled, a confused look on his face.

Estrella cleared her throat, as a blush overtook her already rosy cheeks.

"Um I meant you can't because no taxis or ubers ever make it up here late at night. The house is too far out for any services to make it here," her words were rushed, jumbled up together as she tried to get him to stay.

Achilles cursed in response, his eyes fixed on his ancient looking phone as he tried to figure out something.

She moved closer, wringing her hands anxiously together. "Listen, you can stay the night. Me and my friends have our own little floor up at the top, no one else can get in and it's safe."

"Isn't this Jack Daniel's house? I barely know the kid."

Estrella let out a laugh, "Did you see Jack anywhere? He might throw the party but he doesn't care who comes or what happens. It'll be fine, trust me."

She watched as he looked conflicted, rocking back on the balls of his feet as he tried to make a decision.

Estrella stepped closer to him, wrapping her arms around her as a breeze passed by.

"Listen, it's almost midnight. The chances of you finding an uber to take you back into the city are slim, stay the night. You'll have your own room and you can leave as early as you want in the morning. Okay?"

He stared at her, his eyebrows knit in confusion like he was trying to solve a big puzzle.

"Okay."

Estrella let out a soft smile. "Okay."

Just as she started to walk away, he called out "Wait. I just have to call my mom and let her know. I don't want her to worry."

Estrella bit her lip to hide another smile, she nodded and walked away to give him privacy.

Turning her back to him, she sighed. When was the last time she had met a boy that was respectful to his mother?

Never.

Children with privilege tend to ignore the biggest privilege given to them. A home, not just a house, but a home. One with loving parents or a parent.

She could hear the soft tone he used with her on the phone, explaining the situation to her as to let her not worry.

However she was shocked when he came up to her, holding his phone out. Estrella raised an eyebrow, shocked at his actions.

"She wants to talk to you," Achilles shrugged, embarrassment lingering in his eyes.

Estrella took the phone and raised it to her ear. "Good evening Ms. Alessi," her words were soft and hesitant.

She had never met the parents of her boyfriends, let alone...whatever Achilles could be classified as.

"I just wanted to thank you for looking out for Achilles and sheltering him for the night," it was like honey dripped out of this lady's voice. She was sweet and soft spoken with a thick greek accent.

Estrella let out a laugh, "It's no problem. No harm in looking out for others."

Her voice cracked on the phone as she laughed. "Ah good manners, your parents did a fine job. I'd love to return the favor with dinner, come over sometime."

Her parents? More like the nanny, the cook, the maids and the chauffeur.

"I would love to, Ms. Alessi."

She could almost imagine her shaking her head, " Oh no no. Call me Athena."

They said their goodbyes and Estrella returned the phone to Achilles who was watching silently.

"Your mom is a sweetheart," Estrella acknowledged as they made their way back to the house and the throngs of people.

The party was as lively as it had been before. People were going nuts and the music almost seemed louder but she could care less.

Instead Estrella slipped through the crowd, weaving her way through so they could make it to the stairs. Making sure Achilles was still following her, Estrella walked up the winding stairs all the way to the third floor.

Once to the third floor, she punched in the code on the huge double doors that unlocked to reveal their personal suite.

Achilles, on the other hand, seemed amazed. He stood in the middle of the expansive foyer and looked around.

Estrella cleared her throat, "There's actual food in the kitchen which is just down that hallway if you're hungry. But you can stay in one of the guest bedrooms."

She walked up to one of the rooms, opening the door for him. Estrella followed Achilles in who was taking the hotel-like room in. "The code is 6840 if you want to go back downstairs."

Achilles shook his head. "That was enough partying," he mumbled as he took a seat on the bed.

Estrella smiled in response and turned around to leave.

"Estrella."

She turned around to look at him, her heart beating like crazy as she realized he had gotten up and followed her.

Only inches apart, Achilles raised his hand to tuck a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Goodnight" he said, his eyes captured with hers as he gave her a soft smile.

"Goodnight Achilles."

Estrella shut the door behind, leaning against it as she closed her eyes.

What. the. Fuck.

Scared she might get caught, she shook her face to lose the stupid smile on her face.

Feeling tired from the day, Estrella made her way down the crimson hallway that was only illuminated by the golden scones.

Just as she passed Adrianna's room to get to her own, she heard the strangest sound.

Estrella could hear the soft cries coming out of Adrianna's open room, feeling like something was wrong, she walked inside.

While nobody was inside and the room was dark, it was barely illuminated by the light coming out of the closed bathroom door.

Without knocking, Estrella opened the door frantically only to let her see the sight that broke her heart.

Adrianna was hunched over the toilet seat, her own finger deep inside her throat as she attempted to puke with tears streaming down her face.

Estrella let out a soft sigh, "Oh Ade." She lowered herself on the ground and gathered her best friend in her arms.

Having no fight left inside her, Adrianna snuggled in her friend's protective arms.

"Did you know a shot of vodka has 97 calories? I had like fifty," Adrianna joked as she lifted her fingers to indicate a gun shooting her head.

"You're beautiful Ade, no matter what, you're gorgeous."

Adrianna shook her head frantically, "I'm fat," she cried out.

Estrella blinked back some tears, "I'm here for you and I'm not gonna leave. You're more than your weight, you're Adrianna. The gorgeous little girl who had the guts to tear my dress in preschool, the one who I've shared countless laughs and tears with."

"I love you Ade," she muttered constantly as she pressed their hands together.

After what seemed like an eternity and Adrianna finally calmed down, Estrella gathered her up and slugged an arm around her to bring her to the bed.

Dipping the lights down, Estrella tucked Adrianna into bed and forced water down her throat to sober her up. She rolled her to sleep on her stomach so she wouldn't choke.

But just as she got up to leave, she heard her speak.

"Will you stay with me tonight?" Adrianna whispered, her face hidden behind her sheets.

Slipping her dress and shoes off and borrowing one of Adrianna's oversized buttons down, Estrella slipped in bed and gathered Adrianna in her arms.

She wrapped her arms around her and listened to her soft cries, willing herself not to break down as well. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

187K 5.8K 27
His face was only inches from mine, but yet it still seemed his confidence was beaming. "You seem to forget that I am the king of getting girls to...
1.2K 391 30
Meet Thea A naturally blond seventeen years old high school girl who doesn't really believe in the four lettered English word 'LOVE'. "How can the t...
ERROR By khxlix_03

Teen Fiction

1.2M 30.8K 50
Angel Rodriguez is the daughter of a very powerfull man named Robert Rodriguez. She has everything any girl ever wanted. But she also has a secret n...
104K 3.9K 48
*Mafia romance* He pierced into my soul with his beautiful eyes, his hot breath touching my face. He looked away from me for a moment, towards every...