The Prince's Brother

By DisasterChild20

Silas Pendragon, Arthur Pendragon's 14 year old brother. More

The Dragon's Call
Valiant
The Poisoned Chalice
Lancelot
A Remedy to Cure All Ills
The Gates of Avalon
The Beginning of the End
Excalibur
The Moment of Truth
The Labyrinth of Gedref
To Kill the King
Le Morte d'Arthur
The Curse of Cornelius Sigan
The Once and Future Queen
The Nightmare Begins
Lancelot and Guinevere
Beauty and the Beast Part One
Beauty and the Beast Part Two
The Witchfinder
The Sins of the Father
The Lady of the Lake

The Mark Of Nimueh

1.2K 29 1
By DisasterChild20

Silas sits at his table reading when Arthur walks in. "Good to see you know how to knock." Silas tells him making Arthur shake his head. "Come on something's happened. I want you near me when possible, don't want anything happening to you." Arthur tells him. Silas nods and puts his book down before following Arthur to the throne room. They both walk in at the same time as Gaius and Merlin. "What's happened to him?" Uther asks after Gaius finishes examining the body "I don't know, Sire. It's the second case I've seen today." Gaius tells him. "Why didn't you report it to me?" Uther asks. "I was attempting to find the cause." Gaius explains. "What did you conclude?" Uther asks the physician. "I don't think it's time to hurry to conclusions. The scientific process is a long one." Gaius responds. "What are you concealing from me?" Uther asks. "Sire, I have seen nothing like it. The victims are dying in 24 hours, and it's spreading fast." Gaius tells him. "What is the cause?" Uther demands. "I think you should say that the cause, the most likely cause, is sorcery." Gaius says. Silas shifts slightly as Uther takes Arthur to the side. After a few minutes Arthur walks over to Silas "Come on, we're doing door to door searches." he tells Silas.

Later that day they head to Gaius' quarters. They barge in without knocking making Silas frown slightly. "Over there." Arthur tells the guards. "Sorry Gaius, we're searching every room in town." Arthur then explains as Silas goes and sits by Merlin. "What for?" Gaius asks. "The sorcerer." Arthur responds. "But why would he be here?" he asks. "I'm just doing my job." Arthur tells him. "We've nothing to hide. Go on, then. Search." Gaius tells them. "What's all these books and papers?" Arthur asks. "My life's work, dedicated to the understanding of science. You are quite welcome to read through them if you wish." Gaius responds. "What's this room up here?" Arthur asks turning to the back of the room. "Er, it's mine." Merlin responds. "And what do you expect to find in there?" Gaius asks. "I'm looking for material or evidence suggesting the use of enchantments." Arthur explains. "What've you done with the magic book I gave you?" Gaius asks Merlin making Silas look at his friend. "Merlin, come here. Look what I found." Arthur calls from Merlin's room. Merlin goes up with Silas following. "I found a place where you can put things. It's called a cupboard." Arthur says shutting the cupboard. Silas chuckles and spots the book on the floor. Magically he covers it with the bed sheet. Arthur looks under the bed, but misses the book. He leaves Merlin's room as Merlin turns to Silas "Thank you." he smiles. Silas smiles and leads Merlin out the room. "How long do you think it may be before you find a cure?" Arthur asks Gaius. "It depends on how many interruptions I get." Gaius tells him. "Of course, I'm sorry." Arthur turns to Guards. "We're finished here." he tells them before walking out. Silas looks at Merlin "Find a better place to hide your book." he whispers before following his brother.

That evening Silas stands with Arthur as he talks to their Father. "We searched everywhere, the entire city." Arthur explains. "Nothing?" Uther asks. "I don't know where else to look." Arthur sighs. "I want you to impose a curfew. No one is to be allowed onto the streets after the great bell. And cordon off the lower town." Uther tells them. "Why?" Arthur asks. "Because that's where most of the victims are. Let's isolate it, stop this disease from spreading." Uther says. "What about the people who live there?" Arthur asks him. "Don't you think I haven't considered it? What else can I do? I have to protect the rest of the city." Uther responds. Silas and Arthur bow before leaving.

The next morning Silas stands with Arthur as Gaius talks to Uther about the water. Arthur goes to pick up the vial "Don't touch it. I had this in the water for no more than a few hours." Gaius tells them. "Where's the water from?" Uther asks. "The pump from where the people take their daily supply." Gaius responds. "We may have to stop the people from using it." Arthur says. "The city cannot survive without water." Gaius tells him. "We have to find this sorcerer!" Uther exclaims. "I don't believe that they're inside Camelot." Arthur tells him. "Then extend the search to the villages!" Uther demands. "We've started, but I can't search the entire kingdom." Arthur responds. "And I can't stand by and watch our people dying." Uther retorts. Arthur nods and leaves with Silas following close behind.

They walk through the town to see Tom, the blacksmith and Gwen's Father, working. "The story is you were sick." Arthur says. "Not any more." Tom smiles. "Perhaps you were suffering from some other ailment?" Arthur asks him. "Oh, you're joking. I felt like death itself, not enough strength in me to stir the air." Tom responds. "Then... what happened?" Arthur asks. "Oh, I don't know. Suddenly it was gone. I'm fitter than I was before." Tom explains. "That's remarkable. Was anybody with you when all this happened?" Arthur questions. "Just my daughter, Gwen." Tom says. Arthur leads the guards to search Gwen and Tom's house. A Guard finds a glowing poultice under Tom's pillow. Silas frowns slightly knowing Gwen doesn't have any magic.

Arthur takes the guards up to Morgana's chambers. "Seize her." he tells the guards. Silas flinches as they grab her "No." Gwen cries. "Guinevere, I'm arresting you for crimes and contraventions of the laws of Camelot, that you did practice enchantments." Arthur tells he. Morgana walks into the room "Gwen?" she asks. "But what have I done? I haven't done anything! Help me, please!" Gwen exclaims. "What are you doing?" Morgan asks. "I found a magic poultice in her house." Arthur explains. "Oh, that's ridiculous." Morgana tells him. "Then how else do you explain her father's recovery?" Arthur asks. "Well, she's innocent! I know she's innocent." Morgana responds. "What can I do? I can't turn a blind eye!" Arthur says before leaving. Silas looks at Morgana "It's not Gwen. Even if she did have magic, which she doesn't, she wouldn't use it for bad." he says. Morgana nods "Come on." she tells him leading him out the room.

As they get outside the throne room they hear Gwen crying. "Why will no one believe me?! He got better, he just recovered. I didn't do anything!" Gwen tells everyone. "We believe you. Perhaps this is a disease that is not always fatal. Have you thought of that? Perhaps he recovered naturally." Morgana says as they walk in. "And what of this poultice that was found?" Uther asks. "What poultice? I don't know anything about a poultice!" Gwen exclaims. "It was found in your house. Undo this enchantment. Put an end to this contagion." Uther demands. "I can't!" Gwen tells him. "I will show you no mercy." Uther tells her. "I am not a witch. I don't know how to stop the illness!" Gwen explains. "If you will not undo your sorcery, you force my hand and I must find you guilty. It is therefore my duty to pronounce judgment. And under the circumstance I have no choice but to sentence you to death." Uther says. "No." Gwen cries. "I can only hope that when you die, this evil plague dies with you." Uther says. "No! No!" Gwen exclaims. "Take her away." Uther tells the guards. The guards drag Guinevere backwards out of the room. "Please, no! I'm innocent! Please, please, no! Please help me! Please, I beg you! No!" Gwen cries. The courtiers leave as Morgana and Silas watch Gwen get dragged away. Morgana turns to Uther "I know Gwen, she's my maidservant, not an enchantress." she tells him.

"Have you ever seen an enchantress? Believe me, they bear no sign, no mark. There is no sense of evil in the eye." Uther tells her making Silas clench his fists. "I've seen the way the girl works. Her fingers are worn, her nails are broken. If she was a sorceress, why would she do this? Why would she kneel on a cold stone floor morning after morning when she could make these things happen with a snap of her fingers? Like an idle king!" Morgana retorts angrily. "You have no right!" Uther shouts. "You have no right to cast a judgement on that girl!" Morgana tells him. "I have a responsibility to take care of this kingdom! I take no pleasure in this!" Uther explains. "But you're sentencing the wrong person!" Morgana tells him. "She's right, Father. You hear the word magic, you no longer listen." Arthur tells Uther. "You saw it for yourself. She used enchantments." Uther tells him. "Yes, maybe. But to save her dying father, that doesn't make her guilty of creating a plague. One's the act of, of kindness, of love, the other of evil. I don't believe evil's in this girl's heart." Silas pipes up. "I have witnessed what witchcraft can do. I have suffered at its hand. I cannot take that chance. If there is the slightest doubt about this girl, she must die or the whole kingdom may perish." Uther says making Silas scoff. "I understand that." Arthur says. "One day you may become King. Then you will understand. Such decisions must be made. There are dark forces that threaten this kingdom." Uther tells Arthur. "I know. Witchcraft is an evil, father. So is injustice. Yes, I am yet to be King, and I don't know what kind of king I will be, but I do have a sense of the kind of Camelot I would wish to live in. It would be where the punishment fits the crime." Arthur says. "I fear you're right. She's played with fire, and sadly she must die by fire." Uthur decides. "Morgana leaves with Silas not far behind.

Silas walks to his room and throws an empty jug across the room. Arthur walks in making Silas turn. "I can't believe him. Gwen is innocent and he won't listen." he shouts. "Silas, calm down. You know what happens if you don't." Arthur tells him. "Maybe I don't care anymore. If he's going to go round executing the innocent then what's to stop him executing me. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to blame me for something already." Silas retorts. "Don't you dare. You know I will never let he do that to you. Right now you need to calm down." Arthur says. Silas rolls his eyes and flops onto his bed.

Later Silas is sat waiting for Gaius in his chambers. "Arthur's the idiot." Merlin says walking in. "No. He was right to do what he did. And, thankfully, he saved you from your own stupidity." Gaius tells Merlin. "What else could I do? It's my fault Gwen's going to die." Merlin tells him. "Yes, but you don't prove her innocence by offering to jump into the flames. You do it by finding out what's causing the disease!" Gaius retorts. "Well, whatever it is, one thing's for sure: Arthur isn't going to find it. He thinks he is so sharp! But even when I told him I was a wizard, he still couldn't see it." Merlin tells Gaius. "Sometimes they're pretty hard to spot." Gaius responds. "Well, maybe I should go around wearing a pointy hat." Merlin suggests. "I don't think you'll find one big enough." Silas tells him. "Anyway, forget that. If we're going to save Gwen, we have to find out what's contaminating the water." Gaius tells them.

Silas follows Gaius and Merlin down into the water caverns. "The water from here supplies the whole town. Take a sample." Gaius tells Merlin. Silas takes Merlin's torch as he takes a sample in a small bottle. "Let's take it back and examine it." Gaius says. The three of them go to leave when a creature rears up out of the water. "What the hell was that?" Silas asks. They get back to Gaius' chambers and Gaius looks through a book. "Here. It was an Afanc." he tells the two young warlock's. "An...a what?" Merlin asks. "A beast born of clay, and conjured up only by the most powerful sorcerer. Now we have to find a way to defeat it. But where?" Gaius says looking up at his books. "That could take days. Gwen'll be dead by then." Merlin says. "Have you got a better idea?" Gaius asks.

Silas stands in the dungeons waiting for Merlin to get back. When he does he leads the youngest Pendragon down into a massive cavern. "Hello?" Merlin calls out. "Hello. The great warlock returns, as I knew he would." the dragon says flying down. Silas smiles "Hello again." he tells the dragon who nods at him. "We need to know how to defeat an Afanc." Merlin tells him. "Yes, I suppose you do." the dragon comments. "Will you help us?" Silas asks. "Trust the elements that are at your command." the dragon tells them. "Elements? But what is it we have to do?" Merlin asks. "You cannot do this alone. You two are but one side of a coin. Arthur is the other." th dragon responds. "I, I don't understand. Just tell us what it is we have to do." Merlin says. The dragon flies off "No! Please, help us!" Silas shouts. "I have." the dragon laughs. "Oh, yeah, right. Thanks." Merlin sighs.

Merlin and Silas go back to Gaius' chambers to find a book about elements. "Merlin, Silas, what are you doing?" Gaius asks as he walks in. "Looking for a book." Merlin tells him. "You going to tell me which one?" Gaius asks. "A book on elements." Silas responds. "Elements?" Gaius questions. "Yes. Which one would we find them in?" Merlin asks. "Well, most of them. The study of base elements is at the very heart of the scientific process." Gaius explains. "But how would they help us kill the Afanc?" Silas asks confused. "Well, the Afanc is a creature made from earth and water. That's two of the four base elements." Gaius tells them. "What about the other two?" Merlin asks him. "Well, perhaps they will destroy it. You want fire. Wind and fire. How did you find this out?" Gaius asks. "Erm... I just knew, you know? One of my powers." Merlin responds lying. "What else do your powers tell you?" Gaius questions. "That we are only one side of a coin. The brighter side, obviously." Merlin smiles. "And who's the other side?" Gaius asks. "We think that might be Arthur." Silas tells him. Just then Morgana walks in. "They're bringing forward the execution. We have to prove Gwen's innocence." she tells them. "We're trying." Gaius responds. "Please, just tell me what I can do to help." Morgana says. "We need Arthur." Merlin explains. "Arthur?" Morgana asks. "There's a monster, an Afanc, in the water supply. That's what's causing the plague." Silas explains. "Well, we must tell Uther." Morgana tells them. "The Afanc's a creature forged by magic. Telling Father wouldn't save Gwen. He'd just blame her for conjuring it." Silas explains. "So what are we to do?" Morgana asks. "We need to destroy it. Then the plague will stop and Uther may see sense." Merlin tells her. "And that's why you need Arthur." Morgana realises. "He's our best chance. But he won't want to disobey the King." Merlin responds. "Leave that to us." Morgana says taking Silas' hand. Silas chuckles as she drags him to Arthur's chambers.

Silas and Morgana walk into his rooms. "You alright? Sorry about all this. Merlin's not been in today." Arthur tells them. "Poor Merlin." Morgana comments sadly. "Yeah." Arthur agrees. "To offer to give up his life to save Gwen's. I certainly can't imagine any man loving me so much." Morgana tells Arthur. "No, I certainly can't imagine that either." Arthur responds. Morgana smirks "That's because you're not like Merlin. He's a lover." she tells says. "Yeah, maybe that's because I haven't found the right person to love." Arthur tells her. "Sadly the age of gallantry seems to be dead. You look around and all you see are small men, not big enough to fill their armour. There's not one of them that' s able to stand up for what is right." Morgana tells Arthur making Silas chuckle. Arthur smirks at Morgana's manipulative insult "What do you want me to do?" he asks. "There's a creature called an Afanc in the water chambers. We can't tell Father otherwise he'll think Gwen created it." Silas explains. Arthur nods and stands up grabbing his sword.

Silas grabs his sword from his chambers and meets everyone at the Water Chambers. "You'd better be right about this, Merlin." Arthur says as they walk through the tunnels. They hear low growl making Morgana gasp. "You should stay here." Arthur tells her. "I'm coming with you." Morgana retorts. "No." Arthur says. "Scared I'll show you up?" she asks. "Father will slam all three of us in chains if he knew we'd endangered you." Silas tells her. "Well good thing he doesn't know about it then." Morgana smirks. "I'm telling you, Morgana, turn back. You could get hurt." Arthur tells her. "You could too... if you don't get out of my way." Morgana smiles walking past him. Silas smiles with Merlin as Arthur rolls his eyes. "How are we going to find it?" Morgana asks. "I just hope we do before it finds us." Silas comments. Arthur spins around "Stop." he whispers. "What?" Merlin asks. "It's just a shadow." Arthur realises. They keep walking til they reach the water source "Spread out." Arthur tells them. Silas walks down a path til he hears Arthur swipe at something. He catches up with Arthur the same time as the others. "What is it? Are you alright?" Morgana asks. "Yeah." Arthur responds. "Did you see it?" Merlin asks. "Yes." Arthur tells him. "What did it look like?" Silas asks him looking round. "It... it's quick." Arthur explains. The Afanc come up in front of Morgana, who screams. Arthur goes for it, but it disappears again. "Where is it?" he asks. "I think it's gone this way!" Merlin tells Arthur. They walk along until the Afanc creeps slowly out from around corner into view. Arthur swings at it and loses his sword. The Afanc also swipes away Morgana's torch. Arthur circles it with a torch "Arthur, use the torch!" Silas tells him. Arthur swings the torch "Lyfte ic þe in balwen ac forhienan." Silas says. The flames blow onto the Afanc incinerating it. Arthur looks at Silas "Nice thinking." he smiles. Silas smiles "Let's not tell anyone I used my magic though." he chuckles. Everyone chuckles and nods in agreement.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

213K 4.6K 101
Based on the entire BBC Merlin series. A story about Merlin and Arthur's adventures but with a twist Merlin has a twin sister with the same powers. A...
587K 20.6K 128
"For both sides of the coin to reveal their full potential, a light must shine upon them." ------ [Merlin - Season 1+] [Arthur Pendragon x OC]
7.3K 174 16
Ember Elrod, Arthur Pendragon's best friend since childhood. After a devastating fire burns her family home to the ground, killing both her mother an...
100K 3K 24
by @/van_maniac