IntothePotterverse Chronicles...

By IntoThePotterverse

Terminology, artifacts, events, locations and beasts from the Wizarding World. More

Welcome To The Potterverse Chronicle!
Founders of Hogwarts
Hogwarts Ghosts
Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
Quidditch - Wizarding Sport
Triwizard Tournament
The Yule Ball
The Patronus Charm

Hogwarts Houses

101 13 12
By IntoThePotterverse

"One thousand years ago this story starts, there were four sorcerers with strong and kind hearts".

This is how Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was born, around 990 A.D.

Four of the most powerful witches and wizards of the time decided to open a school to share their knowledge with many students from all the United Kingdom.

The founders, Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin, were really different from each other. They decided to create four houses, named after their surnames: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.

Every student that receives the Hogwarts letter, attends the sorting ceremony where the Sorting Hat, a really fashionable hat to be honest, reads their mind to discover their qualities and understand. But, which are these qualities? Which house is the perfect one for every single student?

GRYFFINDOR

"You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell brave of heart, their daring, nerve, and chivalry, set Gryffindors apart"

Those who are sorted into this house are brave and noble in spirit. They love to enforce justice and challenge themselves, for this very reason, they often get into trouble. They are also known for being loyal, courteous and respectful towards others.

The most famous Gryffindor alumni are James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew (no one quite understood why he was a Gryffindor), Harry, Hermione, Neville and the entire Weasley Family.

The Head of the Gryffindor house is prof. McGonagall - Transfiguration Teacher and Hogwarts headmaster from 1998.

The ghost of the house is Sir. Nicholas better known as Nearly Headless Nick.

The common room is hidden behind the Fat Lady picture.

"Once you've arrived inside Gryffindor Tower, come inside and be welcomed by the roaring fire, stuffed armchairs, and the great view we have from our windows. Our dormitories are reached by climbing the winding mahogany staircase, decorated with crimson and gold. As I said, there's plenty of gold around the tower. Our four-posters are covered with thick scarlet blankets (we have quite windy nights up in the towers) and are embroidered with gold. Gold chandeliers cast warm glows all around."

The Gryffindor house is often associated with the fire element.

HUFFLEPUFF

"You might belong in Hufflepuff, where they are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil"

Hufflepuff rewards hard work, patience, friendship, tolerance and fairness more than any other quality of its members.

The most famous Hufflepuff alumni are Newt Scamander, Nymphadora Tonks, Cedric Diggory and Hanna Abbot.

The Head of the Hufflepuff house is Pomona Sprout, Herbology Teacher.

The ghost is the Fat Friar and the Common Room is situated near the kitchen.

"It is round and earthy and low-ceilinged; it always feels sunny, and its circular windows have a view of rippling grass and dandelions. There is a lot of burnished copper about the place, and many plants, which either hang from the ceiling or sit on the windowsills. Our Head of house, Professor Pomona Sprout, is Head of Herbology, and she brings the most interesting plant specimens (some of which dance and talk) to decorate our room — one reason why Hufflepuffs are often very good at Herbology. Our overstuffed sofas and chairs are upholstered in yellow and black, and our dormitories are reached through round doors in the walls of the common room. Copper lamps cast a warm light over our four-posters, all of which are covered in patchwork quilts, and copper bed warmers hang on the walls, should you have cold feet."

The Hufflepuff house is often associated with the earth element (and Pomona Sprout is surely a good example).

RAVENCLAW

"Or yet wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind".

Rowena Ravenclaw loved studying more than anything else, and it is the same for the students of her house. The members of this house are characterised by their ingenuity. They are very eccentric and are sometimes misunderstood, but they are still able to make many friends. The characteristics that distinguish a Ravenclaw are intelligence, curiosity and creativity.

The most famous Ravenclaw alumni are Moaning Myrtle, Gilderoy Lockhart, Cho Chang and Luna Lovegood.

The Head of House is Professor Flitwick, the charming teacher.

The ghost is Helena Ravenclaw, daughter of Rowena, also known as the Grey Lady.

The common room is on the opposite tower instead the Gryffindor one. Students can enter into the common room by answering a riddle.

"The deserted Ravenclaw common room was a wide, circular room, airier than any Harry had ever seen at Hogwarts. Graceful arched windows punctuated the walls, which were hung with blue- and-bronze silks: By day, the Ravenclaws would have a spectacular view of the surrounding mountains. The ceiling was domed and painted with stars, which were echoed in the midnight-blue carpet. There were tables, chairs, and bookcases, and in a niche opposite the door stood a tall statue of white marble."

Ravenclaw is associated to the air element.

SLYTHERIN

"Or perhaps in Slytherin, you'll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends".

Those from pure blood wizarding families, and those and gifted with a lot of cunning and ambition, are likely to enter this house. Slytherin, however, is also the house from which the worst wizards and witches came out, including Tom Marvolo Riddle - Lord Voldemort. Among the Slytherin are Regulus A. Black, Lucius and Draco Malfoy, and all the Malfoy family members before them, Blaise Zabini, and the children of Death Eaters. The Chamber of Secrets was the work of Salazar Slytherin, who disagreed with the other founders for not wanting to admit to the half-blood school.

The Head of House was Severus Snape, Potions and Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, then Horace Slughorn, Potion teacher too.

The ghost of the house is the Bloody Baron.

The Slytherin Common room is situated in the dungeon. Through the windows is possible see the depths of the black lake.

"The Slytherin common room was a long, low underground room with rough stone walls and ceiling, from which round, greenish lamps were hanging on chains. A fire was crackling under an elaborately carved mantelpiece ahead of them, and several Slytherins were silhouetted around it in carved chairs."

Slytherin house is associated with the water element.

* * *

What is your Hogwarts House? and What is your favorite dorm?

Tell us in the comment below! More is coming! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

80.6K 2.1K 31
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
227K 35.5K 92
ပြန်သူမရှိတော့ဘူးဆိုလို့ ယူပြန်လိုက်ပြီ ဟီးဟီး ဖတ်ပေးကြပါဦး
24.9K 21 9
Mature, Sex, Smut
85.6K 3.3K 7
2 tom dylogii ,,Agony"