Meet You There

By lrm2323

Iris - a girl with a broken heart and a lot of pain from past events - is moving back to Virginia for her sen... More

Meet You There - Chapter 1
Meet You There - Chapter 2
Meet You There - Chapter 3
Meet You There - Chapter 4
Meet You There - Chapter 5
Meet You There - Chapter 6
Meet You There - Chapter 7
Meet You There - Chapter 8
Meet You There - Chapter 9
Meet You There - Chapter 10
Meet You There - Chapter 11
Meet You There - Chapter 12
Meet You There - Chapter 14
Meet You There - Chapter 15
Meet You There - Chapter 16
Meet You There - Chapter 17
Meet You There - Chapter 18
Meet You There - Chapter 19
Meet You There - Chapter 20
Meet You There - Chapter 21
Meet You There - Chapter 22
Meet You There - Chapter 23
Meet You There - Chapter 24
Meet You There - Chapter 25
Meet You There - Chapter 26
Meet You There - Chapter 27
Meet You There - Chapter 28
Meet You There - Chapter 29
Meet You There - Chapter 30
Meet You There - Chapter 31
Meet You There - Chapter 32
Meet You There - Chapter 33
Meet You There - Chapter 34
Meet You There - Chapter 35
Meet You There - Chapter 36
Meet You There - Chapter 37
Meet You There - Chapter 38
Meet You There - Chapter 39
Meet You There - Chapter 40
Meet You There - Chapter 41
Meet You There - Chapter 42
Meet You There - Chapter 43
Meet You There - Chapter 44
Meet You There - Chapter 45
Meet You There - Chapter 46
Meet You There - Chap 47

Meet You There - Chapter 13

76 9 26
By lrm2323

Chapter 13

"My sister heard about the show and is on her way," Maribella told me when I got back over to her a few minutes later. "She's really mad that I didn't tell her."

   "Oh, oops," I laughed, looking from her to Caleb.

   "She probably won't drive me home, but I don't even care," Maribella went on, now laughing, too.

   "We can drive you," I told her.

   There was about thirty minutes until Wolfcub would be finished their set, and I was really just enjoying being there, with Maribella. I liked the music, I liked how I felt there. The club was still packed - we were shoulder to shoulder, people singing along to their songs and swaying their bodies. I felt weird that I'd never heard the songs before.

   "You okay?" Maribella bumped into my shoulder with hers, and I realized I had been zoning out a bit.

   "Yeah, fine!" I answered, smiling.

   Somehow, I was surprised that Bennett hadn't made a point to find me yet. I hadn't been thinking of him constantly, but it was enough. Just as the music got a bit quieter and Caleb started into a slower song, I felt someone grab my hand. I spun around, suddenly face to face with him.

   "I think you owe me something," he said, pulling me close to him.

   I let him hold me at my waist, our faces only inches apart. It felt good, my heart racing, and for a second I thought maybe it didn't matter. Maybe I could stand up to Josie. I really liked how Bennett looked at me.

   "Took you long enough," I said loudly.

   He grinned, passing me his phone. I typed in my number, adding my name, then held it back out to him again. I leaned in closer to whisper in his ear.

   "This is still a secret."

   "That's still fine with me," he said back, holding me there.

   After a moment I stepped back, smiling at him. "See you at school."

   He nodded and waited, watching me. I just shook my head and turned back towards Maribella. She had been watching the whole thing.

   "Uh, you didn't tell me you had a boyfriend," she yelled, pulling my hand. "And how hot he is!"

   "He's not... we're not..." I said, but felt weird inside all of a sudden.

   "Oh, well, it looked like you were," she laughed.

   I tried to relax and enjoy the rest of the set, but of course Bennett was in my head. I could feel his hands on me. I could see his adorable face, grinning. I couldn't focus.

   An hour later, we were packed up and back in Caleb's truck, Maribella and I in the backseat. She told Caleb her address, and we were off.

   "Did you two have a good time?" Caleb asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

   "I did," Maribella answered. "Thanks for the invite. You are so talented."

   "Oh, that's very kind," Caleb answered, and I could tell he was smiling. "I'm actually better with Fox."

   "Is that your keyboard player? My sister told me that she's amazing," Maribella went on.

   "Yeah, Fox, she's my girlfriend." He paused, changing lanes. "She'll be back soon."

   "I didn't know you were soon... well known," I spoke up.

   "Oh, yeah, I guess we are, locally," he replied.

   "He's being modest. Everyone knows Wolfcub. I mean, like everyone at my school at least," Maribella said, smiling at me.

   I stayed quiet, until we pulled up to her house a few minutes later.

   "Thank you for the ride!" she yelled, opened the back door to get out. "And it was so nice to meet you!"

  "You too," Caleb smiled at her, turning around. "Thanks for coming."

  "Let's hang out again soon," she said to me, then hopped out. "Night!"

   I waved and then she slammed the truck door. I crawled through into the passenger seat and did up my seat belt before Caleb started driving again.

   "You go to school with her, too?" he asked, not looking at me.

   "No." I shook my head. "We met at the thrift store. She works there."

   "Oh, that's cool." He sounded surprised.

   "Yeah, she goes to the public high school somewhere over here," I went on.

   He nodded and continued to focus on driving. We were both quiet until we pulled into the parking lot of the condo building once again. As we went inside and walked towards the elevator, it felt like deja vu. We headed up, and then when the doors opened to the fourth floor, we both stepped out. It was pretty late and I was tired. As we turned to go down to the apartment, there was Bennett. He was smiling, and looked relieved to see me.

   "What are you doing here?" I asked him, without thinking.

   "I texted you a few times..." he answered, still smiling. "I remembered that you came in off the fourth floor the other day."

   I hadn't looked at my phone all night. Caleb cleared his throat and I took a deep breath, realizing I'd have to explain this.

   "Hey, I'm Iris' uncle, Caleb," he spoke, holding out his hand to Bennett.

   Bennett looked at me, then back to Caleb. This is not how I wanted this to go. I didn't want this to happen, at all.

   "I'm Bennett." He finally shook his hand.

   "I'll leave you two... but it's late. School tomorrow," Caleb said, looking at me.

   "I'll just be one minute," I answered.

   When Caleb disappeared, I spoke again. The hallway was so quiet, so I lowered my voice. "What the hell are you doing?'

   "You should check your phone."

   I pulled it out of my back pocket. I had four new texts. Three were from him, one from my dad.

   HEY. WHEN WILL YOU BE BACK AT THE CONDO?

   I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE YOU AGAIN TONIGHT?

   ARE YOU BLOWING ME OFF ALREADY?

   I looked up and smiled at Bennett. "I had to wait around for Caleb to be ready to leave, and we drove my friend home. And, sorry, I have a habit of not checking my phone."

   Bennett stepped closer to me. "I didn't mind waiting."

   "No?" I asked, giving him a half smile.

   He shook his head, touching my hand. He was gentle and cautious and exactly what I needed him to be. I didn't know why he wanted me, or why I was so afraid to let him get close. The truth was, I liked the attention. I liked that he wanted me. Of course I did.

   "Bennett," I said, and his facial expression changed. "I am not ready for..."

   He put his hands at my waist, pulling me even closer. "I like how you say my name."

   My cheeks felt flushed. I knew I had to get inside the apartment, but I didn't want to move.

   "Bennett," I said again, smiling. "We are secret friends. That's it."

   "Friends," he repeated. "Right."

   His touch didn't feel friendly, not now and not at the club or in the pool. His smirk was saying he knew it was more than that, too.

   "I have to go, it's late," I told him, still not moving.

   "Yeah, it is," he agreed.

   But we were frozen there, his hands on me, our eyes locked. He has gorgeous green eyes. I knew I had to have more self control now, here. I knew I couldn't give myself away so freely or easily, like I did in San Diego. So instead of letting Bennett kiss me, I slipped away and down the hall, without looking back. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126 23 12
A girl named Iris has a bad backstory, but when she meets Rose, things began to change. Can she find her light?
5.9K 795 43
"Sometimes love is not enough." With a complicated relationship with her mother, a loud household, an unrequited love and a scholarship to get, Ir...
65.2K 2.3K 31
Kate has finally reached her senior year, the last year of high school life. She was looking forward to it because this is the year where everything...
174K 5.8K 37
Pennie, an 18-year-old orphan, is a girl who turns out to be the long-lost heiress of IRIS, the biggest & most successful aviator empire in the world...