The Captain's Beloved

By neverfakeit

A Regency era courtesan gives up her empire for love and discovers how truly binding her connections are to t... More

1 - Leading the Badgers to War
2 - Returning the Captain's Limb
3 - Finding the Smoking Pelican
4 - Bantering with the Behemoth
5 - Convincing the Curmudgeon
6 - Developing an Accord
7 - Dealing with Delirium
8 - Submitting to Interrogations
9 - Agreeing to Potential Futures
10 - Dining and Divulging
11 - Managing Mister Morrisey
12 - Pontificating Over Port
13 - Testing the Ground
14 - Procuring Peculiar Employment
15 - Making Uncertain Acquaintances
16 - Sampling the Sweeties
17 - Building the Foundation
18 - Attending to the Gossip
19 - Arranging Royal Affairs
20 - Governing Heartsick Men
21 - Conversing with the Countess
22 - Minding a Drunken Sot
23 - Swaying Stubborn Monarchs
24 - Defending Untraditional Engagements
26 - Searching for a Nobleman
27 - Avoiding Royal Obligations
28 - Comparing Toes in Parliament
29 - Accepting New Roles
30 - Battling Men with Foul Manners
31 - Obtaining Courtesy Titles
32 - Making Proposals Official
33 - Titles that Lead to Trouble
34 - Telling Tales of Heartbreak
35 - Reviving Lost Souls
36 - Spying Nobles and Vanishing Pirates
37 - Celebrating Unions of One Sort or Another

25 - Receiving a Curious Missive

1.4K 159 14
By neverfakeit

~ Monday May 10, 1813 ~

A vase of fresh cut flowers decorated the dining table. A sure sign of spring. The duke sat behind a newspaper while Clara served his breakfast, whistling as she scooped oatmeal into a bowl. She clearly enjoyed having him around, a benefit of my courtship to Jules it seemed. Perhaps I needed to start a list.

"Good morning, Mistress Hayes," he said. "How are you feeling this fine morning?"

"I am well, your grace." I sat opposite him, and Clara hurried to serve me. I could not help remembering the breakfast I shared with Jules when he had passed out drunk in my boudoir. There was something comforting about sharing a meal with someone other than myself. Another vote for the captain, I supposed.

"What is on the agenda for today?" Philip set down the paper and started on his meal.

"Work, actually. I am writing for..." I deliberated on whether the duke should know the truth about my employment. Secrets were a difficult thing to manage if one kept too many of them. "...the Dandy Gentleman's Periodical."

He sputtered over his bowl, dribbling oatmeal down his chin, and he remained speechless as he dabbed his face with a cloth. When he had finished overreacting, he held me in a pointed gaze. "What, pray, are you writing for this publication?"

Based on his reaction to my announcement, I prepared for more of the same when he learned the truth about my specific assignment. "I have been offered a position as a storyteller in the forum section. My friend, Sheldon Merriweather, has gone to some lengths to secure the commission so that my talents could be properly showcased."

"Your talents? Indeed. Does your captain know about this assignment?"

"Not the specifics. I was also added to the London Chronicle's roster as a writer of human interest stories. It was a condition of my employment. That way, I might have something to..." I wasn't sure what to say that would not paint such a devious picture.

"So you would not have to lie about it?"

I nodded solemnly. "I had not planned to tell even you. But, here we are."

He resumed eating his breakfast, but I knew he was not finished with me. "I understand why you took on such an...unseemly assignment. You wish to maintain your sovereignty. But I expect there are other opportunities available to a clever woman like yourself. Have you spoken to the colonel who helped you forward the cause for the disabled soldiers of war?"

My lips pinched before I could stop them. "No. I expect that relationship has run its course." Run aground, was more like it. Colonel Whitaker was a misogynist and a letch. "Other than nursing, I cannot think of any positions where a female would be considered a viable option for the armed forces, no matter how clever she is."

"I am sure you could do the job of a secretary as well as any man, if not better."

"With respect, your grace. The only reason I was considered for the Dandy Gentleman's publication was through my friendship with Mister Merriweather's brother. If I want to find a position of merit, I will need to impose on someone with influence or I will make very little headway."

He glanced up from his bowl. "You mean someone with influence, like me?"

"Yes. Or my other benefactors. But I did not think it appropriate."

"Or, you are just stubborn and did not want any help. Please, let me do a little digging for you. I know you well enough. I can determine what sort of work you would find the most satisfaction in."

I sighed over my breakfast. "Very well. Thank you."

Leaving the duke to go about his day, I retired to the parlor and sat with my draft, embellishing the story with more groping, licking and thrusting where needed. Afterward, as I prepared the letter, a bellman arrived with a handful of missives. We made our trade, and I returned to the parlor to see who of my friends had written me.

The first was from Reverend Lawtey. It appeared to be an entreaty.

My dear Mistress Hayes,

I have missed you like a man misses the better part of himself. I know you are spending time with your captain now, but I am desperate to speak with you If you could attend me Monday evening, I will arrive at your home by coach.

Reverend Lawtey

Hmm. Given that he had never visited my home to avoid unfounded gossip, I feared his purpose for doing so could only stem from something grave.

Alice had also written me. I speculated she had changed her mind about the colour of her wedding dress. She had already gone from ivory to white to blue. But as I read, it became clear she had written me for another purpose.

Dearest Rose,

Something has been weighing on my mind since our conversation with Countess Kingsley in the gardens. I hope her request that you return to your courtesan duties has not upset you too much. I wanted to speak with you sooner, but there was so much to manage during our stay, and I dared not bring it up in the carriage ride home.

Have you spoken with Jules about it? I cannot imagine how you are feeling. I feel a bit guilty about it, myself. Your life was your own just a few months ago. Now Jules and I have caused you to change so many things about it.

I suppose I wrote this letter to tell you that I will support whatever decision you make as long as you and Jules are happy, and as long as we remain friends. Our friendship is one thing I cannot bear to part with.

Yours Sincerely,

Alice Ada Thompson

Oh, my dear Alice. I hated to think of her worrying about the state of her brother's heart when she had her own heart to think of. But what could I say to put her worries to rest when I still had mine to manage?

The writer of the final missive remained a mystery as I opened it. I did not even recognize the personalized stationary, a broad silver H, until I scanned to the bottom of the page for the signature ̶ General Abram Hayes. My fingers trembled as I read.

Mistress Hayes,

I am writing you in response to the letter of apology you left with my manservant. I presumed you expected something similar in return, hence this correspondence. Firstly, I will not apologize for speaking my mind. That is something a general never does. Secondly, if we are indeed kin, I do not care to know. However, I will tell you that I believe my daughter to be dead, like her mother and her brother.

Should you wish to satisfy your morbid curiosity of how you might have come into this world, begin by asking the man my daughter became entangled with before she abandoned her family. He descends from Erskine nobility, a Scottish clan and supporters of the Jacobites, whom my family fought against in the old war. If you wish to locate this man, all you would need to do is visit Drummond Castle and ask for the Earl of Perth.

Regards and regrets,

General Abram Hayes

I sat with the letter for a time, not knowing exactly what to make of it. Was the general playing a cruel prank? Had I truly descended from a Scottish clan? Was my father a nobleman? The longer I sat with the news, the more distressed I felt. I needed to clear my head. And I knew exactly who could help me do that.

Nary an hour passed before I was climbing into a carriage with the duke, who offered to deliver me where I needed to go. While he enquired about my state of mind, he did not push me when I declined to speak of it until I had worked a few things out. This was a feature of the duke that I appreciated.

I knew his curiosity piqued when I asked that the carriage drop me at Reverend Lawtey's parish church, but I offered no explanation as I bid him a cordial farewell. I felt certain the reverend would be about. His church was like his home, only here he did not have so many reminders of his deceased wife. I also appreciated the quiet I found when I stepped into the nave, and a calm washed over me as I walked toward the pulpit and sat in the front row.

I spent a good while in prayer. It had been some time since I'd done it, and there were a number of items that needed tending. I thought of Jules and the times we attended church together before he sailed away to America. I missed his presence. Our weekend in Oxford had not gone terribly well. But what had caused him to leave for Chatham so quickly? With luck, a missive explaining this would come from him soon.

"Rose?" A gentle voice echoed behind me, and I turned to find the reverend walking down the aisle. Dressed in his coveralls and smudged with dirt, I could tell he had been gardening. "I feel as if I am looking at a ghost. What are you doing here?"

"Looking for you."

"You received my missive, I take it?"

"Yes. You seemed in need of some comfort. And since I needed the same thing, I thought I would save you the trip."

His usual smile warmed even further. "Why don't you join me in the garden. We can comfort each other there."

After fetching me an apron, he escorted me to the rear of the church. Several holes had been dug in the soil, and a collection of flowering plants waited to be set into their new homes. I sat on a bench and admired the golden colour of the petals. They immediately reminded me of Alice and her wedding dress quandary. "What type of flowers are these?"

"Nasturtium. The leaves can be used in salads like cress. They add an herby flavour." He tugged on his work gloves and lowered to his knees in front of a hole. "So, what sort of trouble are you seeking comfort from?" I heaved out a sigh, and he glanced up from his work. "That bad, eh?"

"It's nothing that cannot be remedied with time. But I did receive a strange bit of news this morning. I am currently not sure how or even if I should address it." He nodded mutely as he set a plant into the ground, waiting for me to spill the news. "I met a man in Chatham who might be my maternal grandfather. He is a general, General Abram Hayes, and a disagreeable man, if I'm being truly honest. I learned that his daughter became pregnant out of wedlock, which led to a falling out between them. She left home and he never heard from her again. He has adopted the theory that she is dead. He sent me a missive revealing more information, should I wish to investigate my parentage."

Tamping down the soil, he glanced up to offer his concern through a series of blinks. "Do you believe you may be related to this family? Were there signs? Something besides your shared surname?"

"The most significant was the townspeople's reaction. The innkeeper where I stayed had been close with the general's wife and claimed I resembled this disgraced daughter. Based on the rumors that spread during my visit, I guessed she was not the only one who recognized this. Even the general seemed taken aback when we met, although he reacted abrasively towards me. Jules and he had a minor confrontation."

"I would expect no less from the man who wishes to take you as his wife." He moved on to the next hole and began the same process over. "So, you came seeking advice on whether you should look for this woman who may or may not be your mother and may or may not be living?"

"Actually, I may not need to find the woman. If I am, indeed, this missing child, the general alluded that my father is a Scottish nobleman ̶ the Earl of Perth."

His head snapped up, revealing his disbelief. "You could be a descendant of royalty? Well, that would explain a lot. You have always conducted yourself with poise and grace."

"Honestly, Reverend. How can you credit my behavior to a parent who never raised me? Clementine had everything to do with the manner in which I conduct myself."

"Of course, she does. But if you ascribe to the belief that noble blood is superior to that of a commoner, then it would hold credence in your case. What does Jules think about the possibility you may be the daughter of an earl?"

"He doesn't know yet. I received this information nary an hour ago."

"And you came to me with the news first?" He sat back on his heels, looking pleased. I did not have the heart to tell him that Jules was in Chatham.

"You and I have shared a great deal. I value your outlook on matters of import. You can always see the broader picture."

"Are you looking for someone to tell you it's a good idea to confront a nobleman with the prospect he has an illegitimate child? I do not relish such a task."

I blew air through my teeth. He knew me so well. "I suppose I am. But I am also here because your missive sounded earnest."

He grunted as he continued his gardening. "I felt quite earnest when I wrote it out. It had been a particularly poignant sermon yesterday – about friendships and commitments. Not seeing you in the front row smiling at me for so many Sundays finally took its toll. I did not realize how much strength I derived from your presence until you stopped attending."

"I have missed you too." I made sure he saw my smile as he played in the dirt. "Is there anything specific you wished to discuss? How is the vineyard?"

"Still producing. And that is the other topic I hoped to discuss with you. I am expanding my operation to include a distillery where I curate a special blend of port. I am calling it Rose's Red. I wished to give you an opportunity to invest in the new product line."

I bit my lip. Was he saying what I thought he was saying? His eyes squinted as he smiled up at me.

"Yes. I named the port after you, Rose. You have sampled it a number of times. I have been perfecting the recipe for nearly two years now."

"I don't know what to say, Reverend. I am touched beyond words."

"Well, if you choose to invest in the distillery, you will become part owner of the product. Which means you will earn an ample income if the port sells well."

"I would love to help see you through this new venture. I will examine my finances and get back to you."

He stood and brushed dirt off his coveralls as he looked over his handiwork. "Lovely. And I am not merely referring to the garden. You are lovely, Rose. As lovely as the day I met you. Your captain is a fortunate man. And if you are looking for guidance with your Earl of Perth, you know who I recommend you seek advice from."

He glanced up and I knew precisely who he meant. It just so happened that I had already posed my dilemma inside the church, and I had received an answer – that it never hurt to ask.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.2K 2.8K 45
Paisley Monroe has always wished that her life was just a little bit easier. Between the pressures of senior year, overprotective parents, and the lo...
3.3M 161K 46
WATTYS 2016 WINNER! - Writer's Debut Category **A Wattpad Featured story!!!** What's a lady to do... Lady Charlotte has never been the typical Englis...
An Innocent Affair By Laura

Historical Fiction

255K 23K 43
For Jem Denham, life became serious the moment he laid eyes on Miss Cressie Martin. As the youngest of five children, he was used to being considered...
102K 6.7K 30
When Chelsea Anne Lovette was fourteen, her mother died in a tragic car accident. On the day of her mother's burial, a gentleman came. He offered her...