Invisible Armies

By JonEvans

In a world where security cameras prove what you have done and databases define who you are, the few who know... More

Part 1: Karnataka - Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Part 2: Goa - Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Part 3: Paris - Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Part 4: London - Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Part 5: America, three months later - Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Part 6: Lazarus - Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Part 7: Coda - Chapter 44

Chapter 18

32.6K 198 2
By JonEvans

Danielle gapes openmouthed as a riot swirls around the stage. She can't believe how fast it happened. The moment the police lines broke, the demonstrators became a mob, a whirlpool of violence and chaos, and an eddy current has already surrounded them. The stage was placed not far from the police barricades, a media move, to ensure that TV cameras would capture the menacing ranks of gendarmes in riot gear looming behind the speakers. That placement now seems like a major mistake.

Small knots of police battle black bloc members all around the stage, while around them, a frightened melee of protestors try to get out of one another's way. Clouds of light-coloured smoke rise from the Esplanade, mostly where the crowd is thickest. Tear gas, Danielle realizes. A darker cloud of smoke is visible closer, between the stage and the police lines, and pale flames flicker beneath. Danielle recognizes the smell. Burning gasoline. Some of the black blocs must have brought Molotov cocktails.

The smoke-smeared scene by the barricade line looks like a vision of civil war. Police with their backs to a wall, gas masks making them look like giant menacing insects, fire into a crowd of protestors with bullets Danielle devoutly hopes are rubber. The gunshot sounds are lost in the roar of the crowd. A half-dozen black bloc members, in gas masks of their own, regroup, shouting at one another, one of them on a cell phone, apparently waiting for instructions. A dozen police surround a pair of wounded comrades, one with a visibly broken leg, bent at a sickening angle, the other a small woman with bloodsoaked blonde hair, weeping and covering her eyes with her hands, affected by the gas after her mask was torn off. Civilian protestors with useless rags tied around their eyes, their cheeks awash with tears, stumble blindly around, moaning with pain, arms extended and groping like zombies in a horror film, colliding or tripping and tumbling hard to the ground. A woman in a peace-symbol T-shirt sits wide-legged on the concrete with a comical expression like she just remembered something amazing, clutching her stomach and trying to breathe. Danielle thinks of the lathi she was struck with in India and winces with sympathy.

"We need to get out," Estelle says. Danielle didn't notice her appearing. Almost everyone on the stage has clustered in the middle, in front of the big screen, as far away from the fighting as they can get. Danielle has stayed in the back corner, looking for an opening in the brawl, an avenue of escape.

Danielle nods. Just beyond the edge of the stage, maybe five feet in front of her, the tops of their heads level with her feet, two men in black with crowbars and body armour exchange blows with two gendarmes armed with clubs and plastic shields. She can hear the grunts as they swing their weapons. She can't believe they are actually trying to hurt one another. Far easier to believe it is some type of paintball game or Medieval Times re-enactment.

"We just have to wait, it'll cool down," Danielle says.

Estelle shakes her head. "I mean before the tear gas hits. We're no use if we're blind. It's drifting this way."

Danielle looks over her shoulder. The crowd has been thickened by the thousands flooding out of the Tour EDF, many of whom have been swept up in the confusion of the riot. The cloud drifting towards the stage isn't so much a colour as a visible shimmer, like heat-warped air on a hot summer day. A wave of humanity flees before it, many of them clutching their faces as if they mean to tear their eyes out. When the front line hits the stage it shudders as if struck by an earthquake. Danielle realizes to her horror that people are being crushed against the stage's scaffolding as others climb desperately over them and onto the stage.

"Now," Estelle says sharply. The four warriors have moved twenty feet away. There is another whorl of chaos on the other side, a half-dozen ordinary protestors with no weapons or armour clawing and kicking two gendarmes barely able to keep their feet in the chaos, but there is a little space between. Danielle vaults down, lands on all fours. Estelle does the same, stumbles but rights herself, and they join the escaping protestors, a panicky throng, half-blinded, keening with pain and terror. About twenty seconds after joining this mob Danielle realizes it was the worst thing they could have done.

***

"Where are you?" Keiran asks.

"Mostly there," Laurent answers.

"And about fucking time," Angus says hoarsely. He is in good shape, but not like Laurent, who doesn't even seem to be breathing hard despite having just climbed sixty flights of stairs. "What about the real bomb squad?"

Keiran scans the automatic transcription of the Paris police radio channel that overlays one of his monitors. "On their way. But there's absolute fucking chaos outside, you've got plenty of time."

So far the plan has worked perfectly. Angus and Laurent are probably the only people still in the Tour EDF. They will have plenty of time to pick their way through Kishkinda's offices and do their work, while outside the real police are stymied by the ongoing riot. Even if something goes wrong, Keiran should have plenty of notice, all Angus and Laurent have to do is get out of the building and they will quickly be lost in the mob.

"Sixty-five floors. The power's still on," Laurent warns.

"Not for long. They'll cut the power soon. Standard procedure for a bomb threat."

"What about the cameras?" Angus asks, alarmed. "We walked right past them in the lobby. They can't know our faces."

"Relax," Keiran says. "I own the cameras. You were never there."

"Sixty-eight," Laurent says. "Here we go."

The sound of the stairwell door opening. And then, "There it is. Looks fucking solid."

"Send me a picture," Keiran says.

He switches one of his screens over to the incoming signal from

Laurent's camera. It takes a little while to download; encrypted wireless connections are slow. It resolves, line by line, into a picture of a double door, solid wood, with the Kishkinda logo in its stylized font above. There is no visible handle, just a flat white panel next to the door, a card reader, and a numeric keypad above it.

"What if they don't cut the power?" Angus asks.

"Then we're fucked, aren't we? But they will." Keiran knows from hacking into the manufacturer's system that the door will open in case of power failure, lest people be trapped by a fire.

"You can't switch it off yourself?"

"I didn't have time to hack Paris's power grid. Even if I could, they've got a backup power system only the fire department can shut down remotely. That system's a closed loop, no physical connection to the Net, hacker-proof."

"So what do we do?" Angus asks.

Keiran opens his mouth to say, "You wait," when the screen he is using to monitor the La Défense security system flashes with updates. No signals are being received from Tour EDF.

"Somebody turn out the lights?" he asks.

"Yes," Laurent says. "Flashlights on. The door opened. You were right."

"Of course I was right."

"We're in."

"Good. You know what to do. Send me a picture of anything you're not certain of."

The backpack Laurent carries is full of small plastic devices cunningly crafted by Keiran's associate Mulligan, the American known affectionately to the hacker world as Einstein with a soldering iron. These devices are bugs. Angus and Laurent will plug them into computers, between existing keyboard or network connections. These bugs will then track and recall every data packet that enters or leaves that computer, and every key typed by its user. Each one has a tiny Bluetooth transceiver that allows it to communicate with other bugs like it within roughly ten metres. The resulting ad hoc bug network will record all information going through the computers they feed off, then anonymously send this information to Keiran twice daily via a wireless base station that will also be hidden in the office. Even a hacker as skilled as P2 will never detect them without actually looking behind the machines in question, and computer security zealots are almost invariably software-oriented, disinclined to dirty their hands and minds with hardware.

Laurent and Angus don't seem to need help; their muffled conversation is one of brief and confident expressions. Keiran hopes they are picking the right computers. They have only enough bugs for maybe a dozen machines. He has to rely on them to do their work correctly. He switches back to his views of the protest-cum-riot outside, hoping to find Danielle and Estelle, but the stage has half-collapsed and he can't see them anywhere in the smoke-filled maelstrom.

"Keiran," Angus says, his voice crackling with tension. "The power's back on."

Keiran blinks. That he hadn't expected. He looks back to the police-scanner transcription. It takes him a moment to mentally translate the written French. "Right. Crap. Their bomb squad's at the tower, they can't reach the front so they've gone around back. They turned on the power so they can open the emergency exit, it's got an electric lock too. You better get going. They'll be on their way up in a moment."

"We can't."

"What?"

"When the power came up the door locked again."

Keiran takes a moment to parse that sentence. He swallows, opens his mouth, and realizes he has no solution. He never even considered this possibility. Their only way out is the emergency exit – and that opens to a stairwell full of one-way doors, a stairway that the real Parisien police are already ascending. Angus and Laurent are trapped inside the Kishkinda offices, the police are on their way, and Danielle and Estelle are somewhere on the Esplanade, lost in the riot. Keiran stares blankly at his computer. He has no contingency plan for this. He doesn't know what to do. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

472K 10.6K 18
go beyond, plus ultra! bnha oneshot book♡ ~ discontinued! ~
165K 11.7K 34
❀2022 Watty Shortlister❀ ❀𝗔𝗵𝗼𝗿𝗮 𝘁𝗮𝗺𝗯𝗶𝗲́𝗻 𝗲𝗻 𝗘𝘀𝗽𝗮𝗻̃𝗼𝗹❀ Much against his will, River Allen can't drag his gaze away from the new s...
1.6M 37.6K 46
At Willard's department store, none of the night security guards survive for long, and eighteen-year-old Daniel Gale is about to discover why. "At t...