In the Compound

By Red_Harvey

Jeremiah wants to choose his path, but in New Andover, gender decides every role until an otherworldly visito... More

Learning Archive Entry
Part 1. Naltag
Part 2. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 3. Naltag
Part 4. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 5. Jeremiah
Part 6. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 7. Jeremiah
Part 8. Naltag
Learning Archive Entry
Part 9. Naltag
Part 10- Naltag
Learning Archive Entry
Part 11. Naltag
Part 12. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 13. Jeremiah
Part 14. Naltag
Learning Archive Entry
Part 15. Jeremiah
Part 16. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 17. Naltag
Part 18. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 19. Jeremiah
Part 20. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 21. Jeremiah
Part 22. Jeremiah
Learning Archive Entry
Part 23. Naltag
Part 24. Naltag
Part 25. Jeremiah
Part 26. Naltag
Part 27. Naltag
Part 28. Jeremiah
Part 29. Jeremiah
Part 30. Kilah and Jerimiah
Part 31. Naltag
Part 33. Naltag
Part 34. Graylyn
Part 35. Jeremiah
Part 36. Naltag
Part 37. Naltag
Part 38. Jeremiah
Part 39. Kilah and Jeremiah
Part 40. Jeremiah
Part 40. Jeremiah
Part 41. Jeremiah

Part 32. Naltag

8 0 0
By Red_Harvey

As it was, the creatures said nothing ever again. 

The whooping girls used the end of her shaft to bludgeon their heads. The backs of their skulls caved upon impact, and they collapsed.

Jeremiah gaped. Kilah stared with non-judgmental interest at the murder.

Naltag was the only one to thank the girl, who nodded at the acknowledgement.

"If I hadn't done 'em, they'd a done you, den come-a do me. No, siree."

She barely came up to Jeremiah's shoulders, but she somehow seemed larger. It was the way she carried herself, taking up more space with her confident tone and stance.

Her compound was empty, or near to empty. Those inside were dying or dead, and the girl wasn't having a part in it.

"Hot skin, hot eyes took my people, but not Graylyn."

The compound withered in the last year, until she remained as the last hale citizen. She emerged from time to time, gathering food, hunting scadogs, and mapping the surroundings. At the edge of the wood, she detailed brown and barren wastelands. Her elders warned her away from these, sharing the legends of sickness and death. Desperation nearly drove Graylyn to cross into the desolation, but the warnings were too deeply ingrained. Graylyn seemed strong, and capable of surviving on her own, but fear trapped her, creating an island of a few acres for her to scavenge from.

She couldn't have known the wastelands were free of sickness, or at least to some degree. Radiation rates declined every passing rotation, and as generations had passed since the atomic explosions, the wastelands might be safely travelled. For Graylyn, concrete knowledge of the past was irrelevant. She understood limited facts about her self, let alone what had occurred four hundred years prior.

Naltag studied her as per studied all Kimurians. The differences between her perceptions and Jeremiah's grew as the sky faded from azure to a burnished orange. Naltag invited her to join their adventure. The children's body mass suffered from lack of protein. Graylyn's skill in hunting scadogs would provide a necessary food source. Already, she had killed, skinned, and attempted to roast one. Naltag prevented the fire, not wishing to attract more predators.

She realized her error and apologized. Suddenly, Jeremiah asked her if she was a woman. Graylyn only scowled. Then she mentioned the need to retrieve belongings from the compound.

Her humility had apparently revealed her sex to Jerimiah. However, Naltag viewed the apology as a recognition of fault, and accounting for it. Naltag's three mothers had taught per much of the same.

Not a decad passed before Graylyn joined them again. A small pack rested on her back, which seemed to stir a mix of nostalgia and jealousy in Jeremiah. In contrast, he had left his compound with nothing, having been essentially run out. This girl had been able to choose, to have a voice in leaving, also deciding on what to take and what to leave.

Naltag planned to record any friction developing between the two children. Their ideologies were bound to crash, and the results could be illuminating.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 219 30
Anna Zain can give and take away life. It's part of her half-alien half-human heritage. In the alien society, it's also punishable by death. Anna's a...
Alliance By B.E. Wheeler

Science Fiction

476K 5.8K 14
Mel had a few goals in life. Nothing too crazy. Finish school, which she did. Continue the fisher with Dad, which she was doing. Someday she would se...
82K 5.6K 30
Centuries after the Fall, the United States has been wiped away. The crumbling remains of the great American empire are home now only to savage, lawl...
74 30 5
Star-children aren't an oddity, but Ember, volatile like fire, born of death and new light, sure is-a very troublesome, talkative one, who has been k...