Beyond Midnight

By softsloth

"I've been taught that girls have no value, and he's the only one who assures me that I do." Soleil is a gir... More

prologue
|01|
|02|
|03|
|04|
|05|
|06|
|07|
|08|
|09|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
epilogue
Book 4: Heathen

|21|

40.3K 2.1K 390
By softsloth

Fray

My breath comes in harsh pants. I stare down at my mate, full of fear that won't pass. I press the shell of my ear to her teat, listening to her heart thud evenly in her chest. The strength of her reassures me, but I'm still not completely convinced by it.

I was so close to losing her, twice. Once when those despicable males tried to dispatch her with a blade, and a second time when she was washed away by the harsh river.

Watching her struggle through the water, so little and helpless to save herself. I knew her only chance of survival rested on my shoulders. It instilled so much fear and dread inside of me. I have never known such terror in all my life.

Still, my body quakes with barely leashed emotion.

Staring down at Soleil, I replay the events from only moments ago. Dragging her from the water, trying to push the water from her lungs. She was unresponsive, and so pale. I was terrified that I might push down too hard and crush her delicate rib cage with my brute strength.

Killing those human men so easily, it haunts me. What if I accidentally kill Soleil?

I begged her to stay with me, and ordered her not to leave me. I was beginning to lose hope when my efforts finally paid off.

She opened her eyes only moments ago after emptying all the water from her lungs. She murmured my name, and then she was gone again, falling into a slumber.

I push the hair from her precious face, looking around the rain filled woods. I need to get her out of here, and soon.

I find that my legs and arms are weak, my muscles drained from the trauma.

Leaning forward, I force my hands under the tiny female's soft body. She doesn't make a move, sleeping so still that I'm tempted to check her pulse once more. I shake my head. This female has made me a new male. My priorities, my fears, all of them are new. These are things that I've never felt before.

But I wouldn't change it, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hauling Soleil into my arms, I make quick time walking through the forest that continues to weep with rain. As I move, my fear shifts into unquenched anger.

The face of the human male that threw my Soleil to the rapids is imprinted in my brain. I will have his head for that mistake.

The sooner I get my sweet Soleil safe, the sooner I can go after him.

It's not lost on me that I need to go back to Soleil's home to gather the females. I knew I shouldn't just let her go in and deliver the news without me at her side. The males hated our offer so much that they sentenced my female to death.

I have to look down at Soleil to try calming myself, but seeing her pale and cold and wet only fuels my fury. How dare they? They will see how real males treat females.

The rain drives me forward, and soon I'm stomping up the ramp and onto the ship. I pass many curious males, shooting questions and desperate glances my way.

They all knew today was the day that the females heard the news, and now they want to know when they will get mates of their own.

I ignore every single one of them, determined to carry Soleil until my feet ache if that's what it takes to make her safe.

Locanas appears in the chaos, running around the corner as if he just heard of my arrival. His eyes grow wide at the sight of my mate crumpled in my arms. She looks like a wreck, her face already bruised, her hair tangled and wet, her skin icy cold.

I will take care of her. It is my job.

"What happened?" He demands, and I shake my head, continuing to march down the hall with purpose.

"Their pathetic males, that's what happened." I growl, clutching her a little tighter to me. "Has Elodie awoken?"

Locanas' face darkens.

"Yes. But I am not allowed to see her? What is the meaning of this?" He demands. I sigh, because now is not the time to be explaining something like this.

"Because you frightened that poor female, and injured her. You do not deserve to see her or court her." I say plainly, and Locanas' response is to growl in disagreement.

I don't listen to his argument, because I'm too busy unlocking the door to Elodie's room. The metal door slides open, revealing the tiny human with bright orange hair. Her strange, speckled face snaps up.

When she sees me and her friend, she stands from the nest she had been sitting on. Her mouth falls open.

"Soleil." She says, and I nod, bringing my mate into the room and quickly laying her across the nest.

The room is a medical bedroom, it's warm and equipped with necessary supplies for healing. The healer comes often to check on the residence to make sure they are faring well as they recover. It's the perfect place for my mate.

I tuck my heart in the blankets and pillows, smoothing my hand over her forehead to make sure she's alright. I don't expect it, but the sweet human leans into my touch, her face following my palm.

Sighing, I have to force myself to stand up, I need to do my duty, but it is hard to leave my Soleil like this. Even when I know she will be safe and guarded here.

A small hand grips my forearm, I turn to stare down at the other female, she has a mean look on her odd, speckled face.

"What did you do to her? Is she going to be okay? Did you hurt her?"

So many questions that I cannot answer. The poor human wouldn't be able to understand a word out of my mouth.

"You will not speak to the commander that way." Locanas stands in the doorway, his demand sounding harsh. Elodie takes a terrified step away from him.

It's clear that he made his mark on her.

I bend down to my knee, pressing a kiss to Soleil's head, showing her friend my devotion to her. She seems to understand, and the worry eases in her green eyes.

Satisfied, I nod, standing once more to my full height, fully aware of how small these precious creatures really are.

They must be guarded at all costs, and we must get as many of them as we can. They will be kept safe and warm here while I fulfil my duty.

Even though I am reluctant to leave my female, it has to be done.

I back out of the doorway, sealing the door and turning to my second in command with a scowl. He wears a similar expression.

"Give me the access code to the females, I will watch over them while you are away."

Unfortunately, I no longer trust the male. I do not believe him. I have been through many battles with Locanas. I used to have faith in him. That faith was ruined when he dropped Elodie.

I shake my head once, already stomping back the way that I came.

"You are coming with me to the human den. I want you to send the healer to my mate and her friend, and then gather only our best males. It's time to take the females. They are waiting for us."

The pouring rain has turned into a light drizzle, the clouds still covering the sun and casting dark shadows on the land around us. Marching forward into the somber weather, I lead the team of warriors without looking back.

I don't even look at the eager males surrounding me, I simply stare forward with determination. It's not long before we exit the woods. Us Rytarians move quickly, especially when females are involved.

The trees thin until the valley is revealed, the human den just in our reach.

I still as I observe the field below us. The sight I'm greeted with is not what I was expecting.

Humans are scattered across the field, yelling and fighting as small groups of females try to flee. There are a few males trying to stop them, some of them even grabbing females and trying to drag them back to the den with them.

There are small kits clinging to their mothers, young females attempting escape only to be scolded, and males that are doing anything in their meek power to stop them.

I hold up my hand, commanding my males to stop aa I watch on in interest. We haven't been spotted by the humans yet. I plan to change that soon. But I need a plan.

Looking around, I finally spot the male that tried to kill my female.

I stare at him, wanting to kill him, but knowing that I can't do it in front of the crowd of females and young children. I have enough control for that, but seeing him grab a small female by the wrists, yanking her towards him with a glare on his face, I move forward automatically.

He will not hurt another Goddess. I won't give him the chance.

I stop for a moment, turning to my males to command them as I am meant to do. It is hard to find the words when so many emotions are surging inside me, wanting to get out.

"Save the females, be gentle, do not scare them. Be kind. They will follow."

They are simple instructions, and I trust everyone to follow them, aside from Locanas that is. I narrow my eyes at him to show him that there will be repercussions if he makes a mistake. He nods at me, and I can only hope he doesn't repeat his past mistakes.

I make my way across the field, silently letting the humans watch me come. It goes quiet in the valley, the only noise is the soft falling of the light rain. I keep walking, giving kind glances to each female I pass to assure them that we are safe to them.

But when I look up, and see the male who shoved Soleil in the river, I pause. He has yet to spot me, and I use that to my advantage.

He still has a female in his grip, not loosening it as she tries to get away. It seems he has no respect for females whatsoever. I march up to him, reaching out and quickly grabbing him by the neck. It is so swift he has no time to react.

The male's eyes widen when he sees me, his hands releasing the female he had held hostage. He begins to tremble, and then comes the pleading.

He knows who I am, knows why I'm here. I'm sure he can see the fury in my face, feel my breath on top of his puny head.

The desire to kill him is overwhelming, but I can't do it. I hate it, but I can't. There are too many eyes watching my every action.

"Please. I didn't want to hurt her. You have to believe me." He begs pathetically.

I glare at him, trying not to rip his arms off here and now. I decide to exercise restraint.

I toss him, throwing his back onto the ground where he lands with a thump. He's immediately scrambling to get away, running to the den for cover. I huff, nodding as I watch him go, feeling slightly satisfied.

I didn't get to kill him, but he looked close to dying from fright.

Looking down, I see the female that was in his grasp. The small female is older, but not elderly. She looks young enough to carry a kit. She also looks remarkably familiae. I wonder where I have seen her before, it seems impossible. I've only seen 4 females, and she is not one of them. I would remember.

"Do not be afraid, you are safe." I say gently, moving towards her as the Rytarian males around me act similarly. The field has calmed down, likely because the males know that they stand no chance fighting against us.

We have won.

When the woman turns her tear filled eyes towards me, my breath is stolen. I know those eyes. They are the eyes of my mate.

Things fall into place quickly. This has to be Soleil's Mama.

The short female looks so similar to my mate, but older.

There's no way that I can tell the female of my connection to her daughter, there's only one word I know she will understand.

"Soleil." The female perks up, wiping the sad tears from her face as hope overcomes the fear.

"You've seen my daughter? Is she okay? Is she safe?" She asks, her little voice is shaky and terrified.

The poor female is worried sick over her kit.

It just goes to show how precious these creatures are. They are fiercely loving and protective. Emotional, but so strong and so brave.

I nod my head, trying to appear friendly and reassuring. I suppose it works, because the female sobs in relief, throwing herself in my arms. I wasn't expecting the motion, but I stand very still as she cries into my stomach. I slowly enfold her in my arms, looking around the rainy valley at all the individuals.

Males, females, and Rytarian warriors. All are struggling to communicate with the language barrier, but things aren't looking so bleak anymore.

There are smiles, there are shared glances of hope.

Hope for the future, hope for mates, hope for both of our races.

In the end, there is always hope.

Thank you for reading! We're getting closer and closer to book number 4, and I'm so excited.

Don't be afraid to drop a comment and let me know what you think! Predictions? Requests? Thoughts? I'm all ears.

Hopefully there will be another update soon. I'm working hard to get chapters out for y'all. Hope you have a great week❤️ until next time

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3M 145K 30
"Earth has been different for awhile, but I don't think we've ever had a beautiful, muscular alien dude falling from the sky. It's not really somethi...
239K 9.6K 54
Highest Rank: #1 Alien 6-21-21 WARNING: This contains Xenophile (Alien / Human smut) If you don't find interest then that, this is not the place to b...
2.2M 87.3K 24
"He's not a monster! Elik is my mate. The holder of my heart. He's a protector. He's my protector." ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ ◍ ◎ Penelope thought...
Fallen Star By gogo

Science Fiction

17.9K 352 15
This is my take on those stories that have only one human male on a planet full of anthros. You know the ones, where a nuke, virus, or/and war that d...