Not My Fairytale

By RenniferLopez

For a moment, the whole world went still. In that split second, my eyes found the source of my unease. A brig... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46.1
Chapter 46.2
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Epilogue

Chapter 38

1.2K 107 3
By RenniferLopez

**Finally getting ahead on this one! If you enjoy, please consider leaving a comment or vote to let me know!**

An Extension

    I half expected to be dragged from my bed in the dead of night and thrown before the council to decide my fate, then and there. But the empty silence of my bedroom was never broken. Even so, rest evaded me until the early morning sun had already peeked through the curtains.

    When Ava arrived to prepare me for my day, she brought with her an invitation to tea with my parents. I didn't miss the fact that it would take place during the hours we would normally meet with the council. Training was canceled.

    I found my parents in the newly refurnished nursery that had once been my fathers office. My mother was propped up on the settee before the fire. The cradle Angelo had helped to pick out all those months ago had been set beside her. My father stood on its other side, staring down at the wriggling, blanket covered form within. Neither looked up at my entrance.

    "Good morning," I greeted, unsure of what else to say. In the quiet of the room, even my soft tone felt jarring. My father looked up at me then, a broad mile on his lips, but my mother continued staring, as if she was unable to tear her gaze from the little life she had created.

    I hadn't asked any questions about my new sibling that morning as I ate and dressed, and Ava hadn't said a word about it either, but standing there in that room that suddenly felt too hot, I wished that I had. I wished that I had not chosen to go into this situation blind. Was it a boy or a girl? Were all of my worries for naught, or would my greatest fears come to life before my eyes? Had the vote already taken place while I tossed and turned through the night? I'd had months to prepare, but it wasn't nearly enough time.

    My legs felt leaden, but I forced them to take me forward anyway. As I neared the cradle, my mother finally looked up with a beaming smile of her own, happy tears gathered unshed in her grey eyes, "Isn't he beautiful?" I swallowed hard at that, feeling my heart plummet to my toes.

    He truly was beautiful. Big eyes, a mop of dark hair atop his head, and the kind of angelic features all expectant mothers pray for. The blanket he was swaddled in was violet and silver.

    I couldn't tear my eyes off of him. "What is his name?" They'd been debating a few, Gaio or Giove being two of the favorites.

    "Gianni," my mother answered, and my heart sank even more. It was the only name I had hoped they wouldn't choose, so similar to my fathers. So fitting for his heir.

    I forced a smile, and reached out to stroke his tiny fingers with my own. "Hello little brother," I said in a tone that I hoped didn't sound bitter. It wasn't his fault, after all, that his very existence was a threat to everything I had worked for.

And he was awfully cute.

He caught my hand in his grasp and held tight. I glanced up at my parents in surprise. My father chuckled. I felt my smile turn genuine, if only for a moment.

"There's something we wanted to talk to you about," my mother said, still gazing adoringly down at the little prince wrapped up in his family colors. As if the words out of her mouth hadn't stopped my pulse cold in my veins.

My father must have seen the fear in my eyes that I wasn't quite able to conceal. He answered the question I had been too afraid to ask, "The council has decided to postpone their vote, they need more time to decide."

So they had met in secret during the night, just as I'd feared. But the outcome could have been worse, I would have to be happy with that for the time being. I gave him a single nod, then turned my attention to my mother, "What would you like to talk about?"

    "The Harvest Ball is approaching in only a few weeks," she began, and much of the tension left my body at the turn of the conversation. "I know you're not very fond of such things, but my hands will be so full with your brother now, I was hoping I could count on you to take over planning the event for me."

It was such an innocent request, so far from what I had expected my day to hold, that my answer came easily, "Of course."

~*~

    "So have you finally decided which flowers belong in the centerpieces at your ball?" Angelo asked, a teasing glint in his eye.

    I groaned, slumping down further against the tree and stretching my legs out in front of me in a rather unladylike manner. "And which flatware to set the food and dessert tables with, and which glasses to serve the wine in, among other things." Just in time, too, the Harvest Moon was the very next night.

    He chuckled, "Clearly, you are on the edge of your seat with anticipation."

    I laughed, looking up at his smiling face, "The sooner it is all over with, the better."

    "It couldn't have been all bad," he said.

    "You're right," I sighed, "I will miss the distraction it provided."

    "Ah yes," he said, keeping his tone light, despite the change in topic, "and how is everything going with that dreadful little bundle of joy?"

    He was teasing me again, but I suspected that this time it was in an effort to keep me distracted from my hopelessness, "He's perfect, if I'm being honest. So beautiful and sweet I can't help but love him."

    There was a strange look in his eyes, but when he spoke his tone was still teasing, "Sounds awful."

    I couldn't keep from throwing my head back to laugh at that, the sound of it echoing across the water of the lake.

    The next day, as I stared into the mirror, I began to wonder if perhaps I had gone a little overboard this year.

    My gown was burnt orange in color, with chiffon skirts that deepened to a burgundy red near the bottom. Every inch of the bodice was covered in diamond and citrine, the facets catching the light with my every movement. My hair was left to fall in large curls down my back. Instead of a tiara, a wreath lay heavy upon my brow. Crafted by the witches to the West, it was made entirely of diamond. Large chunks of the precious stone, all manipulated by spellcraft into the delicate shapes of flowers. Roses, carnations and sunflowers all carved so intricately that they nearly looked real. My eyes lingered on the glittering headpiece.

It had been a gift from my father for the Harvest Ball the year before, but I had found it to be too flashy for my taste then. Now, it seemed I'd had a change of heart.

It's no wonder why, I mused as guards led me to the landing where I would be introduced in place of my parents. The council had asked for an extension, but my opportunities to show my worth as a leader were limited. It might have seemed small, in the grand scheme of things, but I would take any chance I could get to show them that I could handle responsibility. Even if it was just a ball.

But as I stepped out onto the landing when I was finally announced, I wondered for the second time that night if perhaps I had gone too far with my decorating.

Nearly every surface of the room was either covered in large flowers, the colors of which matching the red orange and yellow of my dress, or gilded in a bright gold that glowed off the guests skin as they passed it. It was as extravagant and over-the-top as my attire, but I couldn't help but feel pride swell in my chest at the sight of all of my work come to fruition.

I kept my speech short and to the point, thanking them for joining us, and then The Goddess for a bountiful harvest and for the continued prosperity of our kingdom. I ended it with a prayer for the health of my parents and my newborn brother, which the crowd eagerly repeated back. Then, we were all free to enjoy the fruits of my weeks of labor.

    I descended the steps, and joined the mingling crowd below. I spotted Franco near the hors d'oeuvres table speaking to a petite brunette that could only be his mate. I made a mental note to be sure to meet her before the night was up, then turned to walk in the opposite direction.

Unlike most balls, I made a point to greet each of the nobles present. With both of my parents absent, I was the only host, leaving that responsibility on my shoulders alone. I chatted politely, danced when offered, and all the while I kept a pleasant smile plastered to my lips.

    If I needed to play the perfect princess, then it was a role I would play to the best of my ability.

    I had only just made the resolution to myself, when I saw a new guest approach in my periphery.

    "Excuse me, princess, I don't mean to interrupt," the newcomer said politely in a velvety voice that had grown all-too familiar to me, "but I was hoping I might interest you in a dance."

    My head snapped to the side to look at him, and it was all I could do to keep from gawking. The look in those mischievous blue eyes made my body burn hot as he offered a hand to dance.

    Angelo.

~*~*~

After frying my brain trying to write all of INC within four months, it seems my brain is finally functioning properly again (yay!). I've been hard at work wrapping up chapters on this story and also starting on a teen fiction project that I cannot wait to show you guys!

As always, I would love to hear any feedback or predictions you have for the coming chapters (your comments give me LIFE, even if I am awful at responding to every one of them).

See you soon!

Xx Ren

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

473K 23.4K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
164K 5.1K 34
*COMPLETED* Moving away from the big city life will finally bring her peace and harmony. Or so she thought. She loved who she was. She was proud, mys...
16.4K 3.8K 31
Your past will never truly be forgotten, I realize this now. Denying it will only make things worse, accepting it will allow you to move on. But do I...
2.3M 85.3K 48
"What are you doing here?" I gulped at the hoarse voice. Instead of replying, I stared at Maria's corpse lying on the floor. "You smell so sweet." I...