Deep In The Woods

By TheGirlWhoSpeaks

•Marauders Era Reader Insert•Book One• (Y/n) (L/n) had had two defining moments of her life by the age of ele... More

•Intro•
1 ~ Demons and Doorknobs
2 ~ Diagon Alley
3 ~ The Sorting
4 ~ A New School Rule
5 ~ Quidditch and Cats
6 ~ Lycanthropy
7 ~ Curiouser and Curiouser
8 ~ The Boy Wrapped in Mystery
10 ~ The Tunnel
~ Update + Chapter ~
11 ~ A Friend In Any Form
12 ~ No Problem
Epilogue and Book Two
So its been awhile...

9 ~ The Owlery

961 45 31
By TheGirlWhoSpeaks

You paid no heed to Remus's personal business after that. The next month, February, when he was talking with you about visiting his mother again, you were happy to keep to yourself.

"Are you sure?" You asked, noticing the dark circles under his eyes. "You don't look so well."

"He's looked like that quite often," said Peter, who was sitting across from you. "I don't think he's sleeping well."

"I'm sleeping perfectly fine!" Remus snapped.

You glanced over at Peter, who scooted his pillow stool closer to your end of the circular table. Remus 'tch'ed and looked down to the maroon table cloth.

"I'm just worried, is all. It happens every month."

You nodded, telling him it didn't bother you, and began to unpack your bag onto the table. Class was sure to start any minute, most Ravenclaws and Gryffindors had found a place to sit by now and were looking curiously at their star-charts. It was rare to have an astronomy class where you were only studying this late in the year rather than peering through your telescopes.

"What are you doing?"

You turned at the snooty voice only to see two of your least favorite people standing behind you. James was tilting his head to the side, his uniform intentionally a mess, and Sirius was behind him chatting up Janet Kipo who seemed uncomfortable. You couldn't blame her, Sirius was both annoying and twelve.

"Getting out my stuff," you answered. "You should go sit down, class is about to start."

"That's what I'm trying to do," he answered. "Get out of my seat."

You, breathing deeply, tried to maintain composure as you always did. You would like to think you were a sassy badass, but in reality you really did try to be nice to everyone(who deserved it).

"I got here first, please leave me alone, James."

"I will if you get out of my seat!"

"James, come on," Remus said, taking out his quill(you were happy to see it was the one you had given him). "We don't need to sit together every class."

"We can sit at a table in Potions!" Peter recommended it happily. "It - it could be fun."

You, happy to see they were avoiding conflict, were ready to simply get to work. You just wanted to sit with your friends, was that too much?

"(Y/n), do you want to sit with us?"

You looked up next to Idiots One and Two. Severus was standing there, pointing to a table on the other end of the room. Maddie and Lily were sitting together, talking happily over a painting of Jupiter and its many moons.

"Yeah, go sit with Snivellus!" Chimed Sirius, who had been shamelessly denied by Janet. "At least you've got one real friend, even if he is a dark wizard."

"I am not," Answered Sev. "But I am a much better wizard than the pair of you fools combined."

"Shut it." Said James, flopping into the seat you had stood from. "I can't see why Evans would hang around someone so ugly. Why don't you put in a good word for me, (Y/n)? Someday soon I may be visiting your dorm!"

"She would sooner hex you," you answered, walking away. You looked sadly at Severus, mumbling a thank you as you sat with your other friends.

"Why must they be so rude?" Asked Maddie, who was exasperated despite rarely talking to them. Most students knew about James and Sirius, who caused nothing but issues by jabbering on to the teachers and hitting on every girl they saw, (save you, which you were eternally grateful for).

"They're imbeciles," answered Severus. "What do you expect?"

"I'm about ready to murder that Potter boy," growled Lily, who was scribbling on her star chart. "He had the audacity to tell me we should meet up for a date after school. A date! With that snobby brat? Never in my wildest dreams."

"Psst!"

You looked behind Maddie. A Ravenclaw with round glasses the size of her skull was leaning over her chair with her astronomy book in hand. Her big, poofy brown hair reminded you of Selena's, only much lighter.

"Hey, Sybill," you said, vaguely recalling her name. You could remember most of the students by now, passing them in the hall or having class with them.

"Did you hear?" She asked, beaming. "Do you know Bellatrix Black?"

"Er, yeah," you said.

"She's engaged!"

"Engaged?" The four of you asked in unison. You three girls leaned in closer, but Severus leaned back into his chair.

"To Rudolphus LeStrange! They're getting married after she leaves school!"

Sybill, thinking that was enough information on such an intense topic, returned to the conversation at her table leaving you, Maddie, and Lily with jaws wide.

"Engaged? She hasn't even graduated!" Maddie said, shocked.

"That's so hasty," said Lily rationally. "She must truly love him, though."

"Or she's a pure-blood Black?" You offered. "It's probably arranged."

"Why on earth would they do that?" Asked Lily, a muggleborn. You looked to Maddie, who clearly understood. "What's it matter if she's a Black?"

"That's just how it is." Maddie said.

"The ancient families try to keep their lines 'pure' by only marrying full-blooded witches and wizards," you said. "I'm sure my aunt will marry off Selena at some point, too. It's kind of weird."

"I hope she doesn't marry you off, too, (Y/n)," Maddie squealed. "That'd be awful! Imagine marrying one of the pure-blooded boys."

"I'd run off," you said, joking around. The girls smiled, and you saw Sev fight a smirk behind his novel. "You'll never see me again, guys, send presents to the reception."

Remus returned from his trip safe and healthy by the end of February. You noticed that he often went near the third week of each month, likely the time the school had pardoned him to see his mother. But, the next month, in March, you decided to send a letter for him after so many times of going. You wanted to wish his mother some sort of getting-well, so you took your letter up to the Owlery the night before Remus was meant to leave.

Lily insisted on accompanying you. As your best friend, she was obligated to do so, or at least that was her argument. The same way that Alice and Mary were so close and Dorcas... well, she kept to herself, but she had recently been chatting with Marlene McKinnon, though you teased that it was for a shot on the team next year.

The Owlery was something you had never seen before. The chateau's small, doghouse-like owlery would be put to shame. This tower was on a hill separate from the school that was easy to access by crossing the only bridge that had a canopy over it. The tower, easily the size of the other turrets, stood tall and proud. The inside, contrariwise, was covered in owl droppings. Holes were carved into the rounded walls where the owls nested and open windows all over allowed them to enter the lone tower.

"Ruby!" You called her down. Your owl fluttered to your arm and chirped jovially as you tied the letter to her leg by a simple rope.

"I hope his mum's okay." Lily said, frowning. "Remus told me about it when he mentioned that he was leaving. Peter is really upset."

"You're hanging out with them?" You asked, shocked. Ruby squawked in protest. "I thought you hated James and Sirius!"

"Oh, you misunderstood," she said as you pet Ruby, sending her off to the air, "I'm friends with Remus, James and Sirius are just constantly pestering the entire student body. But, if Remus likes them, I suppose..."

"About my views on it." You replied. You would have loved it if Peter and Remus were never around those bothers, but they just happened to be roommates. Consequently, friends, too. "Did you hear that Sirius hit on Alice-"

The door to the Owlery flew open while your hand was on it. You pulled away quickly, stumbling out of the way as two people entered. Just your luck.

"What are you doing?" You asked Selena, who was walking in alongside Bellatrix Black.

Selena walked past you quickly, calling down her own owl who she quickly fastened a letter to. The envelope, of course, was navy blue. She answered, "A letter to mother, obviously!"

"About what?"

"Oh, haven't you heard?" Bellatrix chimed, her blood red lips curling into a cheshire grin. "My wedding needs a venue. Sadly, the family home is a tad crowded for so many people..."

You looked at Selena, your jaw dropped. "You are NOT-"

"Excuse me?" Selena asked, pausing in her gentle petting of her owl. She nodded to the elegant bird, which instantly fluttered off. "I am. Mother will be happy to host such a noble family."

"It's what friends are for," Bellatrix cheered. She danced towards Selena, setting her manicured hand on her shoulder. "We've been friends ever since Selena started here! Sorry for you though," Bellatrix's happy grin vanished in a second, "Suppose you have to settle for mudbloods."

"Mudbloods?!" You asked, stepping away from Lily, who was looking utterly confused. Most decent people were prone to avoiding that word, and certainly not around such caring teachers at Hogwarts. You were sure she had never heard it. "Who do you think you are? Lily is top of the class in-"

"I think-" Bellatrix removed her hand from Selena's shoulder, stepping toward you boldly. Her curly hair framed your vision as she came nose to nose with you, bending down from her tall vantage point. "That I'm a Black. You should know better, (L/n)."

She bounced back up, clapping her hands together and walking back to the door with Selena. Selena grabbed the handle and opened it, holding the door for the dreadful woman.

"Don't worry, though!" Bellatrix called. "You've still got some years to befriend some better wizards!"

Selena looked back to you, scanning you for a brief moment before shutting the door behind her. You instantly began to complain out loud, calling her names that McGonagall would've given you detention for.

"What's that mean?" Lily asked you, glaring at the exit. "Mudblood?"

"It's a disgusting term for people with muggle parents!" You exclaimed, throwing up your hand close enough to a bird that it flapped its wings indignantly. "Bloody decent people wouldn't use it!"

"Because my parents can't do magic..." Lily rolled her eyes, scoffing. "I don't much care. She's leaving anyways, right? Not like she means anything to me."

"Still!" You exclaimed, following her out. "I oughta-"

Lily, unperturbed, walked back to the school without much of a word. She simply tried to calm you down the entire way, though you were just going to continue on your rant until you blew off the steam. It was how you coped.

You did, though, now have a new reason to dislike Bellatrix Black. Not only had she made fun of you months ago, and certainly made a few sly comments in passing, but now to attack Lily?

You were not going to enjoy that wedding.

Remus's mother, Mrs. Lupin, wrote back by dinner the night after. Ruby flew in at breakfast, descending to the table and earning a quick pet before heading back to the Owlery for a well deserved rest. You opened the letter, your eyes skimming the lines as you were having a lovely meal that you wanted to get back to.

"How is she?" Asked Lily.

Your palms were sweaty. Swallowing hard, as you hated lying and this was going to be an ordeal, you smiled at Lily.

"She's good, getting better by the day!"

You were unsure how to tell her that Mrs. Lupin had never once been ill.

•••

Hey, guys! If you're looking for some more good reads, I'd highly recommend MahashreeGD

Please go check out their stories, support them just as much as you've all supported me! Thank you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.5K 472 31
"All those stories you've read. Those games you've played. Those movies and shows you've watched. Not all, but many of them, are real." "Mom, you're...
21.4K 1.3K 32
"With power to mend and power to break, She holds the world's destiny, her choice at stake. To save the world, she'll face the dark tide, But to seal...
9.4K 617 31
"Under the moon's eclipse, when shadows blend with the night, A witch shall arise, bathed in the ancient magic's light. Her eyes shall see beyond the...
5.6K 54 17
In this story you are the daughter of Sirius black and remus lupin. You are living with remus and know about Sirius being in Azkaban. You know the ri...