The Degree of Mixed Emotions

By Kekesi94

Zamya Scruggs the sheltered girl who wants to live life. She spent her whole life in her family's box. Now it... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Here's To A New Start
Chapter 2: Leaving The Nest
Chapter 3: Trust Me
Chapter 5: All That Awaits
Chapter 6: Oh, That's How You Feel
Chapter 7: The Truth Comes Out

Chapter 4: This Is Only The Beginning 

7 1 0
By Kekesi94

Zamya's POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. It startled me because I forgot how loud the song I picked for my alarm was. It was a extreme bass coming from the Michael song Jackson, Carousel playing in my ears. I moaned ruffling through my covers trying to find my phone to turn it off.

"I love Michael, but can you turn that off Zamya.Some of us don't need almost 2 hours to get ready." She said as bursted into my room, rubbing her eye with one half way closed.

"I am, just found my phone. Just go back to sleep. You're such a sensitive sleeper sometimes." I laughed.

"No, I'm not girl, that alarm went off like 4 times already and you just kept I guess snoozing it in your sleep. Can you randomly pick songs that aren't as loud." She said referring to the fact that sometimes I randomly pick songs without looking for the song I set as my alarm. I feel it might give me just a little more surprised so I really will wake up. Because I won't be expecting it all. Might sound crazy, but I think it works; sometimes or it might just be my anxiety that got me like this.

"Girl, just go back to sleep." I said shooing her.

"Well, don't you go to back to sleep, because if you do another alarm is going to off." She said groaning out nearly every word.

I laid back on the bed with my feet dangling off as she made it out my room. I was was just going to lay here for 5 more minutes with eyes close. If my feet were cold it was hard for me to go back to sleep. So this was the most relaxing moment I was going to get before getting out of bed.

I reached over to my phone looking at the time and noticed it read 1:38 P.M. I got a moment or so to get ready, I had plenty of time as long as I don't fall to sleep.

**
"Hey, how is my baby doing in LA?" My mother asked as I answered the phone and placed her on speaker.

"I'm doing good, Rayona in the kitchen getting a bag of chips to eat." I said looking at her.

"Can I facetime so me and your daddy can see the place?"I looked at time on the top of of my phone it was almost 3:00 P.M. my parents didn't really know about Elijah that well. They knew I knew who an Elijah was but they didn't know as much as him living in our building, picking us up and etc. So I didn't want to be like yes and he come knock on the door and than they ask who it is. But I also didn't want to say no and try to make up a lie. If I ain't have to lie I rather not to.

"Yeah for sure." I said and immediately muted the phone because I knew Rayona was going to have a response.

"Why would you say that? What if Elijah knock on the door?" She questioned looking at me like I lost my mind.

"I got it, I got it. It won't be long. Plus I'll text him give me like 5-10 minutes." Which I quickly did before taking my mama off mute after she finished talking about how excited she was for me.

"Okay, gonna call you."

"Oooh, baby you look so beautiful."She said like she hasn't seen me in months.

"Thank you. You just seen me yesterday though." I laughed.

"Your mother just mean you get more and more beautiful everyday and we miss you already." My daddy laughed.

"Well, thank you." I smiled.

"Where's Rayona?" He asked furthering the conversation and I turned the phone around for him to see her.

"Oh, she's right here."

"Hey, Uncle Henry and Auntie Elaine." She said waving at them.

"Where you girls going? You look like ya'll about to go somewhere?" My mother asked Rayona.

"Oh, we're about to go check out the Hollywood Walk Of Fame and go get something to eat down there." I said quickly turning the phone around and answering for her.

"Oh okay, you want us to call you when you get back?" My mother said.

"No, now will be okay." I was probably pushing time with this conversation but I knew he was going to come back in here. Plus my Find Your Friends was on so they could see where I was. It might seem like an invasion of privacy but I understood their concern; of why they wanted it on in the first place.

"Okay, well we're ready when you're." My daddy said.

I immediately got up and showed them the balcony first and walked outside.

"Oh this is nice. You big dogging it." My daddy said making me laugh.

"Yeah we is, uncle." Rayona said walking over to me.

"And this is our living room and kitchen." She said as she waited for me to come from outside from the balcony.

"This my room." I said walking into my room.

Elijah: "Hey ya'll ready about to come through."

I read to myself as I saw a text from Elijah pop up on my phone.

Me: "Yeah, that's fine."

I replied quickly texting him back. I waved at Rayona to go over to the door signaling her to open it. So they wouldn't hear him knock.

"Okay, love you both talk to you later." I said trying to get off the phone.

"Okay, love you sweetie. So me and your daddy going to try to figure out what day we going to come out there next week. So we'll talk to you then." My mother said.

"Okay, love you."

"Can't wait to see you two. See you and love you." My daddy said and finally they got off the phone.

"You girls needed more time to get ready?" Elijah said startling me as I he made his way in front me smiling. Maybe I should've just waited for the knock.

"Yeah, I was talking to my parents."

"They must miss ya'll already." He chuckled.

"Yep." I said nodding at his response.

"Oh okay, cool. So ya'll ready?" He asked pointing towards the door, with both of his thumbs.

"Yeah, you ready Rayona?" I asked her as I got from the couch.

"Yeah, let me just get my purse and I'm ready."

****
Elijah's POV:

"Hey, I'm going to go to the bathroom." Zamya said getting out of the booth we're sitting in at the restaurant we're at.

"You want me to come, with you?" Rayona asked.

"No, I'm good now you have time to talk to Elijah alone." She laughed before walking off.

"So, I know you like my cousin." Rayona said looking me in my eyes. I knew she was trying to read my face. She was one bold girl, I knew that for sure.

"What makes you think that?" I questioned as I started nervously laughing. Just what I needed to do to have her read me again.

"Come on now, I know you like her. Why lie about it?" She folding her arms over her chest.

"How did I lie all I said was why do you think I do?"

"Because you have so much interest in her. The way you been since we been here, like you just been really going out your way to help us and stuff. I know there got to be a reason behind it besides you're just a really nice guy." She really wasn't holding back. She really cut to chase and not all thought about holding back. You can tell this was her character fully. I mess with it though, she cool people. Most importantly for looking out for her cousin with her best interest.

"Like you said I'm doing this for both you guys. It's just how I was raised and I just clip with both of you guys like you for real my peoples." I said honestly. Was it the whole truth no, but it was still the truth nonetheless.

"Yeah, but you also wasn't texting me at all while we were back home for that month. So what's your excuse now? Because it surely can't be because we all just clip easily. You like my cousin just say it because she's never going to tell you how she feels she's too introverted for that." She said taking a long sip of her drink waiting for my answer.

"Maybe, I like her a little okay. Can we settle for that? A little more than a friend. I just don't want to push anything on her yet okay. Ya'll both just got out here. Let me just focus getting to know her as a friend and if I still feel the same way after a few months or so I'll try to be honest with myself completely and tell her all the way how I feel. It's early on and I know for a fact she's not looking to be in a relationship right now. Since we talked about everything under the sun when ya'll were back home in Michigan. Let me move at my own paste okay?" Zamya was a cool girl and I would hate to every ruin that friendship that we're fully building because of awkwardness or anything.

It was only the beginning of our acknowledgment of one another. It was no need to rush things. No feelings past the fact of friendship needed to emerge from anywhere. So, that's why I was trying to push the conversation away in a way. I like Zamya more than a little already, but I also liked being around her and didn't want to ruin things.

"You like her more than a little. But I'll settle for what you're saying. You don't want to ruin things early on. I feel you, ain't no shame in that all." She said as she nodded her head.

"I say fair enough, we don't have to agree or disagree on that. Just leave it at that." I nodded and as we ended our short conversation I noticed Zamaya coming back towards the table.

________________________________

Chapter 4 of The Degree Of Mixed Emotions

Please! Vote, Fan and Comment!

May God Bless You!

Here's my Social Medias:

Instagram: Smile4Keke

Snapchat: Kekesi94

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 40.9K 53
Emma has sworn never to fall in love, but when circumstances force her to move in with her brother's best friend there are definite sparks. Like when...
5.2M 149K 73
#1 in Romance, 23rd May 2020 "Precious, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, but you're never going on that date." And before I could pro...
393 45 35
This is the story of Natalie Johnson in her University life. She barely enough experience with love, opposite gender, and physical interaction betwee...
259 14 9
Senior Year is the hardest. Yet, when that time comes around, everyone is beyond excited to leave behind their life of drama! But no one is more thri...