MY CHRISTMAS ROMANCE

By feufeu15

Everyone knows those Christmas romances where they pretend to be a couple for the holidays and end up falling... More

AESTHETICS & TRAILER
CHAPTER 1: BEST PART
CHAPTER 2: HOLY PLAN
CHAPTER 3: CHRISTMAS DEAL
CHAPTER 4: ADEN'S LITTLE ELF
CHAPTER 6: DEAL WITH THE DEVIL
CHAPTER 7: SANTA'S ELVES
CHAPTER 8: ON PURPOSE
CHAPTER 9: SORE LOSERS AND MISTLETOE KISS
CHAPTER 10: LISTS
CHAPTER 11: A DASH OF LOVE
CHAPTER 12: HOT AND COLD SWEAT
CHAPTER 13: SANTA'S WORKSHOP
CHAPTER 14: OH OH OH
CHAPTER 15: LIGHTS AND EGGNOG
CHAPTER 16: CHEESY MOVIE AND SNOWFLAKES
CHAPTER 17: SNORING PRINCESS & PRINCE CHARMING
CHAPTER 18: OLD DREAMS AND NEW WISHES
CHAPTER 19: ELF'S STUNTS
CHAPTER 20: STOP THINKING
CHAPTER 21: MORNING REVELATION
CHAPTER 22: SOMETHING TO TELL YOU
CHAPTER 23: MISTLETOE AND DECLARATIONS
CHAPTER 24: OPEN HEARTS AND COLORS
CHAPTER 25: OUR BEST PART
ADEN'S ARTICLE
EPILOGUE

CHAPITRE 5: HANNUKAH SURPRISE

680 36 129
By feufeu15

I dedicate this chapter to my little didu @NaturalSole128  She's the one who educated me about Indian sweets, and she's as sweet as the Kajukatri 😉😋 I won't say the word, or she'll get mad, but I love you and I'm grateful for your support ❤😘

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. and Mr. Jensen."

After too many hours, which I've stopped counting after we've gone past ten, I suddenly feel a rush of energy as I watch Aden greet my parents and I'm engulfed in my mom's loving embrace. My headache is still there, but the reasons behind it appear far away, the dangerous curse words that would have earned me a spot on the naughty list if I had done more than thinking them too.

"Oh, please, call us Marta and Jin." My mom welcomes Aden with the same warm embrace she's just given me as I find my dad's arms and his typical wooden scent.

It has been worth it, the screaming, boisterous kids of the plane flight, and the chatterbox Victoria-Secret-model-looking woman of the bus ride. Yes, I've asked Aden to switch seats, pretending I've been getting sick in the back of the bus, when it has actually been jealousy that has turned my stomach. Though I've regretted it when I've found out that the gorgeous woman has been a chatterbox. She hasn't tried to flirt with me like she's done it with Aden, yet she would have chatted with a window setting or a Christmas tree. I still don't know what has been worse between the little monsters and the woman non-stop blabbering, but I hope they all end up on Santa's naughty list.

"I've heard a lot about you." Aden smiles warmly as he shakes my dad's hand.

It's crazy and almost unfair how a whole tiring day of traveling has done nothing to his handsome face, while I must look like the Grinch.

"Well, we can't say the same since Penelope is a secretive little child!" My mom shakes her head, keeping her tender smile.

I just smile sheepishly in return, throwing a glance at Aden and praying that there won't be any awkwardness because I'm too tired to handle too many lies. But luckily, another apparition saves me before I need to recite my lies once again.

"Is that my favorite little sis?!"

"I'm your only sister, my only and least favorite brother!" I taunt, still rushing to hug my brother's tall frame.

I still don't understand how Jason can be that tall when neither I, nor my parents are exceeding 5'6. But he is undoubtfully part of this family with his sharp angular eyes that are the same as my dad's and his plump lips that form the same smile as my mom's.

"Is that my favorite sister-in-law?" I extract myself from my brother's bear hug to meet his beautiful wife.

"I'm your only sister-in-law." She shakes her head. "But now it seems that I have a brother-in-law," she whispers to me, her twinkling brown eyes traveling between Aden, on the other side, and me.

"Yes, Aden, this is Jason, my brother, and Emily, his amazing wife." I point to the two who have already found each other's arms before I go back to Aden. "Emily, Jason, this is Aden, my boyfriend."

I will never get tired of pronouncing this. It sounds so good. Aden, my boyfriend...

But I'm pulled out of my daydream by my brother's deep voice, well deeper than his usual voice as he's trying to sound impressive. "You better behave like a gentleman with my little sister."

I'm about to tell him off or maybe hit him when Emily does both – I've told you she is amazing.

"Come on! Like you've ever been a gentleman with me!"

"I have!" Jason protests, the mischievous twinkle in his eyes not being really convincing.

I shake my head, looking at these two lovebirds. They might be bickering right now, but the love is still clearly visible in their gazes.

Actually, we can feel the love all around; it's in the air like the magic of Christmas with all the decorations around. It must be the love all the people in this house have for each other, or maybe just the warmth of this home where I've grown up, and I know there is no better place for Aden to find the Christmas spirit and open his heart. 

I let myself breathe in this special coziness, finding back all these little details that make my headache progressively vanish. 

We may just be standing in the entrance hall, but the decorations are already on point – I'm not the only one in this family who loves Christmas and decorating. 

The greenery garland full of red and golden baubles wrapped around the banister rail is my mom's signature style, while all the little holiday-themed wooden figurines are the specialty of my dad, since he's a carpenter, though Jason and I also have contributed to these pieces of art, as the unprecise paint from a time where we haven't known what painting inside the lines has been is still coloring the little figurines, and I still don't know why my parents keep them proudly on display.

"It feels good to be home." The words leave my mouth without even thinking as my gaze travels back to the five people around the room. "Now that we're all here, the holidays can really start!" I grin, sensing a special spark with the feeling that something great is coming.

Though what I don't expect is for the doorbell to ring at this moment. Who can be at the door at this late hour?

"Almost all here!" Jason exclaims, and his excited grin makes me wonder if I've spoken too soon about the great thing coming.

I'm about to ask what is going on when my mom opens the door, and to my great dismay, I understand what is going on. The wooden door gives way to green eyes and a pair of dimples that make all the coziness and special magic drain from my body, probably the same way the blood leaves my face.

"What is he doing here?! I thought it was a family holiday?" I ask before Jason can even rush to my worst nightmare: Theone, and do their famous handshake that I've seen all my childhood.

"Nice to see you too, Penny." Theone smirks, his dimples only deepening.

"Of course, Theone," I insist on his full name with a forced smile, and I'm glad to see it still makes his smirk falter.

"Theo and Jason have been friends for so long that he's part of the family! That's why I've invited him for the holidays." My mom shrugs, apparently oblivious that she's just crushed all my hope.

I mean, the big backpack on his shoulders already has given me a hint, though I've been still hopelessly praying for a Christmas miracle a little earlier. But now, it looks like I'm jinxed. 

If before, when our flight has been canceled or when the gorgeous woman has been shamelessly flirting with Aden, I've seen my Christmas romance melt before my eyes, there, it's getting annihilated by a hurricane named Theone.

"And who are you? Don't tell me Penny has kidnapped a poor boy to get a boyfriend?!"

No, this has been Kyle's idea, and the thought has not crossed my mind for more than a second. Though right now I have other preoccupations as the hurricane Theone is heading toward my poor Aden, who keeps his manners and charming smile.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Aden."

"Same, I'm Theo."

"Theone, my brother's best friend," I specify, trying to sound civilized and nice, when my quota of politeness and patience for today has been fully spent already long hours before.

"Is that vomit in your hair?" Theone stops before greeting me, pointing to one of my raven locks that must be all tangled, and of course, all eyes turn to me and my hair, including a special pair of cinnamon ones.

I don't know who I'm cursing more right now: the tiring toddler who's been crying and apparently also vomiting during all flight – and don't get me wrong, I love kids in general, but those ones could have been in an ad for contraception – or the immature adult in front of me. Actually, I know: it's the one in front of me.

I should have murdered him when he's torn off my Barbie's head, or when he's terrorized me from going to my treehouse with a ghost story, or for his senior prank when he's showered me and my date with paint balls on the winter ball night, or – okay, I've had so many reasons to murder him, and missed occasions.

But now, I have to hold myself back and not throw at him all those reasons that are growing inside like boiling lava and threatening to erupt at any second. I gotta remind myself that there is Aden just beside and that I don't want to look like a madwoman. 

I swear this is really hard when those green eyes staring at me hold the same devilish glint as all those times where they've tested the limits of my sanity. It's also the same smirk with only one of his dimples floating on his left cheek as he's fighting his mocking laugh, and the same tall frame that has always towered over my small height no matter how little we've been and that must be one of the reasons why killing him would be impossible – I swear I'm not considering it, at least, not right now. The only difference is that his dark blond hair is a few inches longer than the last time I've seen him, breaking free in messy curls, and his skin has taken a golden tan, probably because of his latest travel in a sunny and exotic place. It makes him stand out around our pale December and office-working tans, and he almost looks like an Australian surfer who's got lost in this little Jersey town.

Why do men have to look so fresh after hours of traveling, while I look like my poor mistreated Barbie? Oh yes, I know: because of those wild kids, and especially the one who has vomited in my hair.

I take a deep breath to not explode literally, and I declare as calm as possible, "I need a shower and my bed."

"Oh, wait! I've made you a few sandwiches, since I know you all had a long day," my mom interrupts me before I can even move.

Of course, she would never let us go to bed without a good meal in our stomachs.

"I'm not really hungry." I may have lost my appetite a few minutes ago...

"I've also saved you some tunnock tea cakes..." she sings out, knowing exactly how to tug at my heartstrings, and especially the ones of my stomach.

"And it was hard with this glutton!" Emily adds, nodding to my big brother.

"Okay, if you insist..." I grin, thankful for my mom's culinary talents that are always there to lift up my mood.

I can't count how many tunnock tea cakes I've eaten the too numerous times I've been heartbroken!

"Oh! Speaking of sweets, I have something for you in my sack!" Theone exclaims, rummaging through his backpack, where just from the glimpse, I can guess the mess inside.

Though I'm quite surprised when he pulls out a large packet filled with little diamond-shaped pale cookies, not even crushed, and my stomach growls despite myself at the sight.

Maybe I'm just a little bit hungry...

"These are Kajukatri, they're the best Indian sweets!" He puts the packet on the console table and comes back to his 'sack'.

"Oh, right! Jason told us you were in India for the past few months. How was it?" my dad asks, already eyeing the mouth-watering little sweets from closer.

"Awesome! It was the festivals' period and I had so much fun! I also snapped some unique pics, and I'm not even talking about how delicious the food was!" Theone replies, his head still in his bag until he finally takes out smaller gift packages of various colors. "I also got you some Christmas gifts!"

"If it's Christmas gifts, shouldn't you wait for the 25th?" I lift an eyebrow as he's already starting his distribution.

This isn't to contradict him; I'm trying to help him, avoiding him standing with his arms dangling when we all exchange our presents on Christmas day.

"I think no one believes in Santa here, so it's okay." He imitates my cocked eyebrow with a taunting look in his clear eyes before resuming with his 'Christmas distribution'. "Come on! Open them! It's not fun to wait!"

My mom gets an orangey package, my dad a green one, Emily a purple, and Jason a bright blue one before Theone turns to Aden and me.

"Sorry, I didn't know you had a boyfriend, but I guess you can share it." He shrugs, making me hesitate as I take the scarlet red package from his hand.

Just the gift wrap is already beautiful, the colors are so vivid, and I can only imagine how bright the colors must be during the Holi festivities.

"Thank you," Aden says beside me, always so polite, while the erratic run of this day has made me a little slow with my manners, and I don't even have time to open my mouth to say 'thank you' that everyone is already thanking and praising Theone.

"Oh, spices?! Thank you!" My mom waves the little packets in her hand, the inside of the package even more colorful than the wrapping paper.

Meanwhile, Emily is already trying the bracelet he's offered her, and my dad is thanking him for an object that must be a tool to work the wood but of which I have no idea about the name.

"This one is from my travel to Spain before. I've promised!" Theone winks at my brother, who looks more excited than a little kid getting his favorite toy on... well, on Christmas day, in front of a white tee-shirt that must be from a football team.

"And signed! Thanks, man!" Jason throws his arms around Theone before they do another of their handshakes.

"You don't open it?" Theone questions, turning to me as soon as they've finished bumping into each other's chest.

"No, thank you, but it isn't Christmas, so I won't open it until then, whether or not we believe in Santa."

If it's one of his pranks, I'd rather wait for Christmas because by then, I hope that Aden will be in love with me, and that way, it won't ruin all my chances when I get humiliated. With Theone, it's better to be careful; I know this from experience.

"Let's say it's a Hanukkah present then," Theone retorts with one of his famous confident smirks.

"Hanukkah is already over." I press my lips in a small smile.

My fingers are itching to open the pretty red wrapping paper, and I can't feel what it is because contrary to all the others, my gift seems to be in a solid box. It isn't small, nor big, just approximately the size of my hand, and the curiosity is really tickling me the more I look at the bright red paper, but the thought that it might explode when I open it is enough to make me put it aside for now.

"I don't mind waiting, thank you," I speak confidently to shut down my curiosity. After all, I can be really patient for some gifts...

"Here, the sandwiches," my mom announces, a plate full of mini club sandwiches in her hands.

I haven't even seen she's already rushed to the kitchen to get us food. It's one of her talents; she's faster than light to fill every stomach a mile around. Besides, I might have been too occupied with Theone's 'Christmas' present to notice it.

"Let the kids at least get settled before," my dad suggests with a soft smile, nodding to all our luggage taking a big part of the hallway.

My dad always knows what's right! I would have surely given in to my mom's offer if she had brought the little shortbreads covered with marshmallow cream and a layer of chocolate, but it's wiser to take a much-needed shower before. My dad is wise. He's the reason in their couple, although actually, sometimes it's the contrary; it depends on the matter, and they just complete each other perfectly. It's easy to see by the way they look at each other, always tenderly, and never fighting.

I glance to my right, hoping that one day in many years, these warm cinnamon eyes will gaze at me the same way.

"Let's go, I'll show you the way." I nod to Aden, grabbing my bags – well, the lighter ones as Aden has already taken the heavier – and heading to the stairs, my feet rushing to tread this wooden floor that they know by heart.

"Hey, hey! Young lady, where do you think you're going? Your boyfriend is staying in the guest room with Theo." My dad freezes my feet on the first step.

What have I said about him always knowing what's right? I take it back.

"Dad! I'm 26, I'm not a baby anymore." I sigh, refraining from rolling my eyes. "And Jason shares his room with Emily from what I know." Okay, sounding like a baby jealous of her brother might not be the best argument, but what I'm saying is true.

Besides, the beds in the guest room are really uncomfortable and small; that's why I'm insisting on sharing my room with my pretend boyfriend – well, it's the main reason... I must admit that I wouldn't mind sharing my big and soft bed with Aden, in all friendship, of course, and if I have to sacrifice myself for him to have a good night of sleep... Having his hot and strong body so close to warm me during the nights where I'm always sensitive to the cold...

"Yes, but they're married. I see no ring on your finger, so you don't share your room," my dad finishes to crush all my fantasies, his firm tone reminding me of all those times where I've tried to extend my curfew as late as my brother's but never succeeded.

"Not yet." Aden puts an arm around my waist.

Have I heard right? Has he said? My heart is thumping so fast that it's hard for me to comprehend if it's real or just another daydream of my tired mind. But judging by the shocked expression of my dad and brother, which are the same as my wide stare, it must be real, especially seeing Emily and my mom's twinkling gazes that I know are already picturing the flowers and gowns, and I'm as ecstatic inside, my heart jumping in every direction.

It looks like Aden is taking his role really seriously, and he's lifting my mood and my hope up to the sky, my heart already floating.

"Careful because love is blind, but marriage gives sight!" Theone's chuckle makes me tumble back down to earth, and I can almost hear the crush of my dreams, the same tearing sound as my poor barbie's neck being snapped.

"Don't listen to him, he's an eternal bachelor!" Emily comes to my rescue, or maybe rescuing Theone from a horrible death that I'm still close to giving him.

"Come on, I'll show you the guest room," Jason suggests, pointing to the opposite direction of the stairs, and just like that, the moment is perfectly broken, Aden pulling away from me with a knowing look only reminding me that it's just been an act. Well, for now.

"Do you need help with your bags?" Aden asks like the perfect knight in shining armor.

But my dad stops him, as if it would already be a crime that he steps in my bedroom. "No, don't worry, I'll do it."

If he knew that he has nothing to worry about...

"Dad!" I don't even have time to complain that everyone is already exiting the entrance, the guys heading to the guest room and my dad grabbing my heavy luggage. "Be careful with your back!"

"Hey! I'm not that old! I can still lift up bags!" my dad protests, hiding his wince of pain as he starts climbing up the stairs with his arms way too loaded.

"I never said that! But I know you need your back to create splendid furniture!" I smile, trying to grab one of my suitcases.

"You always have the right words!" My dad finally gives in, handing me the lighter bag. "I wonder from whom you've inherited this..." He throws a twinkling glance at my mom behind us.

"Speaking of right words, do you have something to tell us yet?" My mom pulls me closer by the arms, whispering like she knows some big state secret.

Wait, does she know my big secret? My heart stops for what is probably the billionth time today until I realize her eyes are twinkling the same way as when Aden has done his great actor performance and made my heart convulse. After today, I can really tell my heart is in good condition, knowing how it's been pulled in every direction and every rhythm!

"No. Well, I don't know." I sigh, and maybe I couldn't be more honest as I have no idea if my little plan will work.

"Ooh... Maybe you'll have a special gift underneath the tree..." My mom grins, and in her clear blue eyes, I can see the sparkles of the dresses, announcements cards, and rings.

Her excitement is contagious, and since I've also inherited her dreamer side, my hopeless heart takes off to a Christmas proposal near the Christmas tree, surrounded by the whole family. Christmas proposals are the most romantic, along with New Year's Eve proposals, just before the countdown, and the fireworks bursting at the same time as your heart...

But of course, it would only be in a few years as I know Aden is reasonable, and like I've said, I'm patient. So far, I'm just wishing for a special Christmas present; that would already be amazing. Yet the reality quickly catches up with me, and this day has proven me that it won't be as easy as a Christmas movie.

My smile disappears into a serious expression as I focus on my mom again. "Speaking of something to tell, why did you invite Theone?"

Her grin falls too, turning into a line of pursed lips that I already know will release a sigh and a lecture. "Penelope," she starts.

What have I said? The lecture is coming.

"You know that he lost his parents last year. He had no one, so we couldn't let him spend Christmas alone."

Okay, I haven't been expecting this, and right now, her sorrowful expression is only adding to the guilt constricting my chest. She's right, and she knows it. No one deserves to be alone for Christmas. I can't claim this to Aden and do the contrary. Christmas is about sharing and reuniting after all.

"Dad is right, you always have the right words." I shake my head in defeat.

"So you will behave and be nice to him?" she adds, keeping her puppy eyes.

Theone and I's history of 'bickering and fighting', as my mom would say, but I would call it more 'him, making my life a living hell, and me, trying to get revenge', is well-known to everyone, and it rarely doesn't end up in disasters, even now that we're supposed to be two grown-up adults.

I heave out a resigned sigh through my nose, knowing he'll probably make me regret it. "Okay, I'll try to be civil."

***

"Don't you think that maybe it's the universe sending you signs to just give up and –"

"What?! No! Don't listen to her!" Kyle interrupts Amy, making grand movements with his arms that I almost see pass through my laptop screen. "I'm totally rooting for you!"

"Thank you!" I grin.

That's exactly the support I need to hear after this endless day.

"I was just asking. You know I'm on your side too!" Amy shrugs, making my grin widen.

Even through the computer screen, I can feel the love from my friends traveling all those miles faster than Aden and I's journey.

Besides, standing in my old bedroom just wraps a special coziness around my chest, and nothing seems impossible. It's maybe because between these pale pink walls, I find the young girl with big dreams again. 

She's here in each little detail that I've chosen carefully to decorate this room: the big golden world map with too many red pins that I want to visit someday, the fuchsia carpet that I've found in a junk store and that alas isn't magic even if it's from Morocco, the golden Venetian masks that I still dream to wear with my prince charming at a ball, the bamboo shelf that I remember painting carefully in gold and also ending with myself painted in gold after Theone's visit, and finally the large frame on the wall with a plain white rangoli that I've vowed to not color until I have authentic Indian colors to complete this traditional art pattern. There has been so much more at the time that I've lived there, but I've taken a lot of objects with me in my little San Francisco apartment. 

Looking at all those items, I wish I could have brought them all with me because they're all still part of me, and it makes me realize that this house is the best place for Aden to discover me in a new light and maybe love me for who I am.

"Maybe it's just the universe testing me! You know, to see if I really want him. After all, it can't be all easy." I glance back to my computer screen with this conviction while continuing to unpack my bags.

It's already really late now that I've taken my salutary shower, and some clothes need to be hung before they end up in crumpled rags, like this red dress that I can't help but put in front of me.

"But I'm not one to give up this easily!" I add, wiggling around with my dress.

"With this dress, I've got no doubt you'll succeed!" Kyle throws some popcorn in his mouth.

I swear they believe they're at the movies with my adventures. That's why they've insisted that we make a video call tonight, and there is surely nothing to watch on TV, so they're really passionate about my scenario.

"It's Aden we're talking about. I'm not sure a dress will be enough, though this one is splendid! Where did you get it?" Amy squints at her screen.

"In this little shop just down my street, and it was on sale." I glance down at the soft and airy fabric, already picturing myself in it and maybe cinnamon eyes shining at me. 

"But don't worry, I don't count only on this dress. It'll just be the icing on the cake that I'll wear on Christmas Eve, once Aden has pretended to be my boyfriend for the week and we've done everything on my romance list, so he'll be in love with me for real!" I smile, my chest filling with belief and confidence as this vision appears so close, almost at my fingertips like the smooth red fabric that I'm twirling with. 

"I have everything planned and under control–" I freeze all my movements, the precious dress and my smile falling at the same time as my eyes take in a detail that I don't have planned, and even less under control.

Cliffhanger!!! 😬😁😱 What do you think is this detail? 😏😉

And your view on the whole chapter? Theone has finally arrived, what do you think of him so far? Does he sound like trouble? 😏😈

And this gift, do you have any idea about what it is? There is a lot of mystery in this chapter... 😁

Also, I wanted to introduce some Indian culture elements because a lot of my readers are Indian, so it's my way to thank and honor you ❤ I hope you liked it! Thanks to my dear friends @NaturalSole128 and @VividhaVinod for helping me on this! 😘 

I hope you liked it, if so don't forget to vote ⭐ and comment!! 

Thank you for all your support on this story, this is the best present for me 😍❤😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 732 36
Cole and Allison have been in love for as long as either of them could remember. They had gone from sandbox partners, to high school sweethearts, and...
3.9K 256 45
Everything was perfect until... it wasn't. Winter has gone out of her way to make sure her family friends and school friends never met. Her friends s...
27K 826 16
*A SHORT WINTER ROMANCE* .⋅ ۵♡۵ ⋅. 𝐁𝐨𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐞 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐬 and 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐖𝐞𝐬𝐭 used to be best friends. Until Bonnie's parents decided to mo...
334K 13.4K 25
For recent law school grad Charlotte Maxwell, real life has never been so good. On a post-graduation vacation with her best friend, the last thing Ch...