A and D

By fallenbabybubu

Nerdy Dakota Evans makes the biggest mistake of her life by falling in love with her best friend, Aaron Ford... More

A and D (1)
A and D (2)
A and D (3)
A and D (5)
A and D (6)
A and D (7)
A and D (8)
A and D (9)
A and D (10)
A and D (11)
A and D (12)
A and D (13)
A and D (14)
A and D (15)
A and D (16)
A and D (17)
A and D (18)
A and D (19)
A and D (20)
A and D (21)
A and D (22)
A and D (23)
A and D (24)
A and D (25)
A and D (26)
A and D (27)
A and D (28)
A and D (29)
A and D (30)
A and D (31)
A and D (32)
A and D (33)
A and D (34)
A and D (35)
A and D (36)
A and D (37)
A and D (38)
A and D (39)
A and D (40)
EPILOGUE
Proposal in Paradise (Part 1): Dakota
Proposal in Paradise (Part 2): Aaron
Wedding Day (Part 1): Aaron
Wedding Day (Part 2): Dakota
Special Chapter: Summer of 2010 (Part 1: Alyson)
Special Chapter: Summer of 2010 (Part 2: Luke)
Day In: Aaron
Day Out: Dakota
New Story Alert: Whatever: The Full Story

A and D (4)

1.1M 21.8K 7.2K
By fallenbabybubu

Aaron:

Geez, I screwed up. I didn't mean to blame Dakota. It just slipped because I was upset. Man, I'd never heard her so quiet before. But I was counting the minutes.

When the bell rang a couple of minutes ago, Dakota shot up from her seat and almost ran towards the door, ignoring me.

I quickly followed her to apologize. I watched her briefly say goodbye to Alyson.

Luke caught up with me.

"What's up, dude?" he asked, concerned.

"I..." I trailed off, distracted as I tried to keep up with Dakota. She wasn't a runner so I should be able to do that in no time.

I think Luke nodded as though he understood.

"See you later at try-outs," he called over as he turned to the other direction.

Soon, I caught up with Dakota's pace.

"C'mon, Dakota," I apologized sincerely. "I'm sorry. I just overreacted."

She gave me the look that says, "You think?" Then, she focused on out-walking me. That was okay with me. She wasn't that fast.

"You have to forgive me. You owe me with the apple pie. So I say this makes us even."

I had to admit, saying that wasn't fair. But I was desperate. I think it worked because she stopped walking and... Oh. She pulled out a dollar from her wallet. She handed it to me. I just stared. Hmm, maybe it didn't work.

"I'm not gonna take that," I told her.

That's right. No way in hell was I going to let her pay me for that.

Dakota rolled her eyes at me, and then started walking again. I ruffled my hair as I followed her.

"Please... D, I'm really sorry. I'll make it up to you."

We entered RST class. Mrs. Roberts was already in her chair, engrossed in reading gossips from the internet. Dakota sat on a vacant chair in between two occupied ones. I bet she was thinking that she could get away from me if I wasn't sitting beside her. So I turned to the guy on her right.

"Can I sit here?" I asked him.

"Dude, I'm already sitting. Are you blind –" he stopped talking when he looked up and saw me. He blinked as he immediately stood up and removed his bags from the chair. "Uh – sure, Aaron!"

I nodded. "Thanks," I said vaguely. I turned to Dakota, and she looked pissed. She obviously didn't expect that I would do that. I smiled. "You can't give me the cold shoulder forever, D."

She didn't answer, just kept on ignoring me. It looked like there was no other way for it...

I sighed. "Fine," I said, leaning to her. "Name it."

She frowned in confusion, but she still wasn't looking.

"Name anything you want. I mean it."

Finally, she stared at me and scoffed. She shook her head as though she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Just leave me alone," she said coldly.

"And it took thirty-seven minutes for you to speak again," I said, as I glanced at my watch and counted the minutes.

"Yeah, to tell you to leave me alone, Aaron."

I gazed at her. I waited for a few seconds. She sounded like she meant it. And I think she did. I can see it in her eyes. She was seriously pissed at me.

"I won't do that."

"Why not?" she asked exasperatedly.

"'Cause you're my best friend," I said with a straight face.

She looked like she was about to mock me. But she hesitated in doing so. Maybe because she was taken off guard of how determined I am. Anyway, I wasn't going to let our friendship die away like that. Although, I was quite sure she'd get over it by tomorrow. It was just that it didn't feel right if I just left her alone.

"So... What do you want?" I asked her again.

She opened her mouth, but then closed it.

"What if I order pizza tonight, just for you?" I offered to her. Now, when I was talking about her favorite food, she can't say no.

She thought about it, considering the idea.

"Two boxes of Pepperoni Pizza?" she asked me.

"Sure," I smiled.

"And... Mac 'n Cheese?"

"Okay."

Since we were ten years old, I'd been wondering how she could eat and eat but never go fat. Beneath those large clothes, there was a hidden slender body. How did I know? Dude, to this day, I lived next door to her family since we were born. I'd seen her dress all kinds of clothes. Of course, I'd know.

I swear her eyes sparkled with delight when she said, "Deal."

"You sure you don't want to add more?" I teased.

"Mac 'n Cheese... Pizza... Pepperoni..." she mumbled, her eyes closed and smiling thoughtfully. She didn't hear what I said.

I chuckled. "I guess I'm forgiven, then."

You see, simple things can cheer her up. That was one of the things that set her apart from the others. And I was glad she was my best friend.

* * * * *

"Are you gonna meet with Allie Wallace?" I asked several minutes after the bell rang.

Dakota and I were at our lockers.

"Yeah, we're going to put up some flyers about the Movie club," she answered, shrugging. "I'll see you later."

And with that, she left the corridor. She was just wasting their time. I mean, the Movie club was cool but not many could see that. And the only ones interested in joining were the freshmen.

Anyhow, I went to the boys' locker room to change into my jerseys.

Ethan, Luke, and I met by the wall of trophies.

"I didn't actually get to ask you, man," started Luke, "How was your summer?" he asked me casually. "You know, with Dakota."

I was about to answer him when Ethan said, "C'mon, Luke. It's not like he'll have some fun with a girl like Evans." He added as if Luke was out of his mind.

"Actually," I said a-matter-of-factly, with a raised eyebrow, "it was nice. Feels like old times."

"Oh, yeah?" Ethan said skeptically. "What d'you do, study?"

"Stop it, Ethan," warned Luke, seriously.

I'd never seen Luke serious. Quiet, maybe – but not this serious.

"What?" Ethan asked indignantly. "Do you actually believe that you can have a cool afternoon with a nerd like her?"

"Yeah, I do." Luke replied calmly, his cheeks flushing.

In normal situations, I would've asked Luke what was wrong with him, flushing like that. But I was too distracted by what Ethan said.

I asked Ethan, "What did you just call her?"

He knew perfectly well that I didn't like Dakota being called a 'Nerd'. I know it was a bit hypocritical of me. But I hated it when a person talked about her behind her back and says she was a nerd, even though it was true. At least, when I call her that, she was aware of it. I didn't know, but I felt like I was the only one who had the right of calling her that.

Ethan and Luke know it. And they know how furious I can get about it.

That was why Ethan looked wildly at Luke for help. But when he saw it was no use, he turned to me, looking a bit sheepishly. He was obviously thinking about lying. But then, after gazing at me, he sighed.

"Sorry, dude," he apologized, as he ruffled his hair. "It slipped out. You know that even though I joke about her all the time, I wouldn't call her a nerd on purpose."

I wasn't the one to keep a grudge. Besides, for someone like Ethan to apologize meant he really was sorry... Or he was just really afraid of me going furious.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever."

He waited for a second, and then he laughed.

"Phew," he said in relief, "that was close."

When we got to the boys' locker room, the team greeted us smugly. Then, they nodded toward a group of guys.

"They're here for try-outs," explained Nigel, from behind me. I looked over my shoulder; he was already in his shorts.

I turned to look at the guys again.

"Looks like it," I said, beginning to smile.

That group of guys had no idea how Coach could be to newbies – especially to those who were just trying out. Coach really enjoyed torturing guys before they get to be part of the team. Once, I asked why, he answered, "Because they've got to earn it. Going through all that hard drills shows determination. If they've got determination, you can bet they have motivation and skills. And if they have all of that, Ford," Coach paused to look me in the eye, "they're worth it to be in my team."

"But what about respect to you, Coach?" I asked that day. It happened a year ago, back when I was still courting Annabelle. "Doesn't that count to be in your team?"

It made me a bit confused. We all respected Coach, don't get me wrong. But it confused me how he didn't consider that in what he said.

My forehead creased, as I waited for his answer.

"That comes later," Coach finally said. "When they get through try-outs, it's my turn to make them respect me. Not fear me. If I succeed, they just proved to me that they're worth it."

It took me a while before I finally got what Coach was saying. And it was pretty simple. 'Get through my drills, and you're worth it. Respect me by not fearing me, and you prove you're worth it.' Coach was pretty deep for an old man. Well, a lot of them were.

"They are in for a lot of hell," whispered Ethan, "with the Coach's new drills and all."

Ah, yes. I almost forgot that Coach spent the summer creating new drills for us.

I grinned.

Man, this is going to be hell, indeed, I thought. A hell of fun, that is.

I walked to my locker and changed, while we discussed who might be our next captain since George, our former Captain Ball, graduated from high school.

The team was weighing between Luke and me. But Luke insisted that it was going to be me. I didn't say anything about it. I was hoping, though.

We watched as the new players lined up to try-out. There was a wicked smile on Coach's face. He made them do the drills. They were pretty easy and simple – at least, when Coach made us do it. You see, once you get past this torment, practice after school would seem so easy for you. That was what so cool about finally being in the team, Coach lets you go. That was when the fun of playing basketball begins. And you may not notice it, having fun on the court creates teamwork.

Watching them heavily sweat like that reminded me of the time when I first tried out for the team. I was not as skilled and improved like I was now back then. I wondered how hard the drills might be for me now. Back then, it was a hell. I wondered now...

I stood up from the bench and walked up to Coach.

"I wanna do the drills too, Coach," I said confidently. I can feel the eyes of the team boring a hole on my back.

Coach was expressionless. He stared at me for a long time. I stared back at him, not breaking eye contact. Then, he looked back at the new players, still doing a suicide. As they ran, they were looking at me in awe.

It might be my imagination but I saw a flicker of smugness in Coach's eyes. It looked as if he was proud of me or something. But I wasn't sure.

"It's your choice, Ford," Coach said, without looking at me. "But remember, once you start, you have to finish."

"I never forget, Coach," I muttered under my breath, as I ran down to the end of the court. I think he heard me because he nodded.

He whistled, and yelled, "Jumping jacks, five hundred. Then, let's take five. After that, continue with a thousand jumping jacks."

The new players groaned audibly.

As I walked by I whispered, "Don't let Coach hear you groan, fellas. Or else..."

"Or else what?" one of them asked curiously. I recognized him as a sophomore.

"Or else he's gonna make it two thousand J jacks," I shrugged, as though it wasn't a big deal.

They widened their eyes and kept their mouth shut.

I lined up with the new players. There were just five of them. So I made us six. We needed at least three players in the team this year. The maximum was five. If the new players were lucky, they might all get in.

It wasn't long before Luke joined me. He nodded to me. I nodded back – shocked me how I can do that while still jumping in the air. I glanced at Ethan; he was watching us with his mouth dropped. Then, he chuckled as he shook his head and ruffled his light ash brown hair. He stretched his arms, briefly showing off his buffed muscles. He jumped up and joined us in no time.

"What, you guys gonna miss this good fun?" I called over to the rest of the team. They exchanged looks, shrugged, and joined us three as well.

There was no denying it now. Coach was definitely happy.

"Wow, I haven't done that in a long time," said Ethan, as he stretched his arms. We were already in the showers, enjoying the feeling of cold water pouring down to our heads. "The hard drills, I mean."

"Yeah, it feels good," I agreed, with my eyes closed.

"What made you do that, Aaron?" Luke asked me from my right.

I shrugged. "I just wanted to test how I improved for the last couple of years. I had no idea you guys would join me."

"Of course we'd join you," said Luke, frowning a bit. "We're a team."

"And not to mention, you looked like you were having a good time," added Ethan, with a laugh.

"Frankly, at first, I was just really testing my stamina," I said, opening my eyes. "But when you guys joined in... Man, that's when I forgot about my stamina and just enjoyed it," I added, smiling at them.

"Now, that's what we're talking about," nodded Ethan, slamming our knuckles together.

When we were dressing up, Coach came in. He was as happy as before. He looked really happy, in fact, that he made me Captain Ball right there on the spot, in front of the team.

"That kind of leadership you have there is rare," Coach continued, "Hold on to it, son."

"I will," I promised him. "Thanks, Coach."

"No need to thank me. You deserve it."

The team congratulated me, when Coach left the boys' locker room. For someone whom I deeply respect to say that to me, I was really satisfied with whom I turned out to be in high school.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 31.7K 34
Emma also known as "panther" is the best street fighter in her state and it doesn't help having a abusive dad. But she is also her schools biggest ne...
2.9K 288 26
Being herself has never been a challenge for Nyla until high school, where bitches, boobs and boys invades the minds of everyone... Well, everyone ex...
1.3K 103 17
Chloe Jefferson: rich, popular and fashionable. Her life seems perfect. Why wouldn't it be? She had the most popular friends in school, all the stude...
506 1 36
Warning: This is the first book I wrote for Wattpad and I just know that's it's really bad so I wish you luck if you read it! Alya is a straight A's...