Raven's DarkNess | ✔

Oleh Eminavi

"Your hair looks like night but your eyes shine like day. You are a walking contrast. Who exactly are you?" ... Lebih Banyak

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Pack Fashion
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen Part I
Chapter Eighteen Part II
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five - Part I
Chapter Thirty Five - Part II
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
What's Next?

Chapter Sixteen

265 16 54
Oleh Eminavi

My ears kept ringing, the scene replaying continuously in my mind, over and over again.

Enzo stood before me, his broad shoulders right in front of my face as he stood there holding the old lady's hand that was now clenched into an angry fist. The moment lingered endlessly and all I felt was the pressure of Willow's arms wrapped around my waist and Tinley against my arm.

Then Enzo pushed the old lady's arm away. I couldn't see her as Enzo had shielded my vision but I was dying to see the look on her face, the anger.

Then, I made myself cry.

My tears flowed down like a river on instinct. Yes, my cheek stung but the crying was more from my willpower than the actual sting. I sniffed and Enzo turned.

His eyes were wide and then he zoned in on my face, his lips clamping together as I watched his eyes soften, a light glaze to them. I look up at him with shaky lips, blinking profusely as tears keep streaming down my face.

Enzo turns away from me.

"Get away from that outsider girl!" The old lady screamed. A shrill scream that engulfed the house in an instant and I continued to cry, not knowing what else to do. This lady was too much and she was really strong which I really didn't understand how considering she looked like she was in her sixties.

Enzo didn't say anything out loud and no one else did but all eyes were on all of us. Willow held me tighter while Tinley let go of my arm. Willow and I were both crying at this point.

After a long silent pause, Enzo blurted "Godmother, she's a guest!" out.

It was a decisive tone he used and the lady's features contorted angrily. "An intruder, not a guest!"

Enzo only shook his head while Erica held onto the old lady, as if afraid that she would reach forward and attack Enzo. Despite being unable to hear what was happening, from Enzo's tense and strained body movements like moving his hand to his hip and brushing his curls back as well as the old lady's finger being constantly pointed at Enzo back and forth, I could feel the situation poisoning the atmosphere. I didn't know what exactly they were talking about but whatever it was, it was dying to hear it.

I was literally dying to hear what they were saying.

Then, Enzo turned again but this time, his gaze was pointed at Tinley. When he looked at her, she visibly stiffened and so did Willow who was still crying against me but whose head suddenly peeked upwards and who I was now holding despite my own forced and somewhat fake tears.

"Tinley!" Enzo screamed out Tinley's name in a sharp tone that for some reason, caused me to jump because  I didn't even think he was capable of using such a tone. He's always calm and collected but now, he seemed to be the epitome of serious. But why was he yelling at Tinley? What did she have to do with any of this?

Enzo's yell forced Tinley to jump too and she continuously shook her head then clumsily pulled at Willow. I didn't let go of Willow. I refused to let go of her.

"Where are you taking her?" My question was directed at Tinley who was still pulling at Willow who is holding onto me for dear life. The poor girl's eyes were a bright red as she squeezed me, her small brown eyes begging me not to let Tinley take her. So I held onto her tighter. Well, I already got slapped for her so I might as well see being her protector through to the end.

"Aoife, leave Willow. Come with me," Enzo's voice was commanding but in a gentle way as he reached for my shoulder. I turned to look at him with tears still in my eyes, spilling over like a caged bird flying away to freedom.

I shook my head.

"She's scared, Alpha. I can't just leave her. Someone might hurt her again," My eyes found the old lady who had a scowl on her lips as she stared down Erica, the conversation they were having in their heads also seeming quite tense.

"No one will hurt Willow again, I can assure you," He sighed. "Tinley will take care of her,"

Reluctantly, my hands let go of Willow and she squeezed me for the last time before going with Tinley who also squeezed my hand before taking Willow away. They left, disappearing into the crowd and Jude watched the pair from across the room. Enzo tapped on my shoulder again and he nudged me to come with him so I did.

Even after passing Erica and the old lady who gave me a very dirty look, I didn't stop forcing myself to cry. I had learnt this reflex in Assassin training - the art of crying at will. My tears flowed continuously, the sobs constant.

I was in Enzo's office before I realised it. He lit the candles that hung on the candle holders and led me to the lounge seat where he asked me to sit down. I did. I also didn't stop crying.

Enzo sighed loudly then came with a candle next to me where he knelt by my side. Slowly, I lifted my eyes upwards to look at Enzo. His black eyes were staring into mine and I looked down at him, the dim candlelight in this office casting shadows and swirls over his face. His eyes were etched into mine that was no doubt red from all the crying and then before I realised it, he lifted his hand to my face.

Enzo used his handkerchief to slowly wipe the tears from my right cheek and beneath my eyelid. He did so very gently, his pace in no way rushed. I sniffed, my eyes never leaving him and when he got to the left cheek, my features contorted in pain.

"Her slaps hurt, I know," is all Enzo said and I wanted to ask him if he thought that that statement was in any way comforting because if he did think so then he was wrong, it wasn't. "I'm sorry this happened to you, Aoife,"

"Why was she beating Willow?" I cut him off, ignoring his apology but he didn't respond, instead, he focused on padding my cheek. It continuously stung but thankfully, the ringing in my ears had subdued a bit.

Then a maid, Cassia came inside. She had a bowl in her hands and Enzo stepped away from me to take it from her. Cassia's eyes found mine and she took a step forward to me but before she could take any more steps forward, she looked at Enzo, bowed it and then suddenly left.

Enzo came back, this time with a bowl and he resumed his kneeling position by my side as he took the cloth out of the bowl.

"What's that?" I asked and Enzo lifted it slowly to my cheek. It stung even worse than the slap and I grimaced instantly wanting to jump away. When I did, Enzo pushed it harder to my cheek.

"Don't move. This will help you heal. It's a herbal mixture for bruises and it helps with redness and scarring,"

Scarring? I wanted to scream. That old bitch! I swear to the moon if she left me disfigured then I'll send her to her grave. That's probably what she needs anyway, an express pass to the land of the dead and I'll be sure to give her that! She's messing with the wrong girl.

"I'm really sorry about all that you not only witnessed but that happened to you tonight. It was embarrassing, to put it mildly, and I am deeply ashamed that you, my guest were assaulted by my Godmother. I pray that you forgive her and me,"

I don't. That old lady slapped me in front of everyone! There is no way in hell that I'm letting that go. I will definitely take my revenge, just wait.

Enzo pressed the cloth to my cheek again and this time the smell of neem which I hadn't noticed before wafted around my nose. The herbal mix hurt less and the pain, in general, started to dull.

"Why did she beat up Willow, Alpha? I think I have a right to know that considering I just got slapped for defending the poor girl!" I exclaimed, upset. I'm not going to let this go. Nope! I didn't get utterly humiliated, probably partially disfigured and cried fake tears for nothing!

I reached for Enzo's hand and held it in mine. It was the hand that he was using to apply pressure with the cloth and herbal concoction. He stopped all movements instantly and looked up at me. I inched my face downwards ever so slightly so that we were staring right into each other's eyes and I held Enzo's hand tightly for what seemed like dear life. His black eyes glowed, his irises getting darker as his hand stiffened in mine.

I didn't let it go.

I forced a sob from my throat and Enzo's eyes travelled over my face, settling against my own black eyes. He stared into them and something rushed through me. His lips parted as if he wanted to say something but no words came out, yet, he didn't look away and I felt a bolt of electricity out of nowhere when he blinked softly against me. A part of me wanted to reach downwards and place my lips against his but I stopped myself, unsure of how he would react to it.

So I stayed in that position, holding his hand to my bruised face and staring into his deep black eyes with a growing and gnawing need to devour them. Enzo exhaled strongly and I rubbed the pad of my fingertips on the back of his hand.

Then, as if out of nowhere, Enzo jumped away from me and the cloth he was previously using on my face fell without control onto my lap.

"Aoife, are you okay?" Erica's voice greeted me and my neck snapped to the doorway where Enzo had rushed to his sister.

That's when I understood that whatever it was I just shared with Enzo, Erica just interrupted and ruined it. Great!

Erica rushed to my side and set what seemed to be a box on the table before sitting beside me. Enzo stood almost in the centre of his office away from the chair and his hands were tucked into the back of his head as he looked away. Erica took the cloth from my thigh and placed it on the table.

"Our grandaunt won't apologise so I am here on her behalf to do so," Erica started, taking both my hands in hers as she held them with affection. She looked at the obvious swelling on my cheek and she shook her head. "She's a hardheaded traditional lady and sometimes she can be a bit too much to handle. But my baby brother and I are deeply sorry for the humiliation and hurt you faced at her hands today. Please forgive her and us and don't even think of leaving us because of this incident,"

"But Erica, why should I stay in a place where I am not wanted?" I replied and shook my head, trying to give Erica the illusion that I was deeply hurt after she just created the perfect hole to worm my sweet self into. She brought the ideas so now, it's my job to run with it.

Erica brought her hand to caress my right cheek.

"I know that she said hurtful things, Aoife but it's just her that doesn't like your presence here. You don't have to leave because of one person. Please Aoife, even if you can't forgive her then at least stay until we find your family and deliver you home safely to them because since you were found on our pack, you have become our responsibility,"

She pleaded with her eyes and after some time, I shook my head in agreement. Erica pulled me in for a hug. She held me for a long moment and then she let me go. I watched her earrings jingle.

Erica stood up.

"I have to leave now, Aoife. The feast was cancelled and there's a huge mess but I left this gift for you as a token of my apology to you," She pointed at the box and I looked at her.

"No, I don't want anything," I lied. I love gifts. My love language is receiving gifts but well I needed to be modest here. "Really, Erica, like your grand-aunt said, your family has already given me food, shelter and clothing. I really don't need anything else,"

"No, Aoife. I insist! Besides, today is the full moon and it is a tradition in our pack to give someone a gift so you can't reject it. Besides, my brother was the one who gave you all those things you mentioned. The only thing I'm giving you is this gift so you can't refuse me,"

"Aoife, please accept Erica's gift," out of the blue, Enzo stepped in. "Please,"

With fake reluctance, I nodded and told Erica thank you. She nodded back and turned to Enzo. She reached upward to kiss his cheek before leaving.

Enzo and I were left alone once again.

He paced around his office while I watched him, not knowing what else to do. There was an awkward silence between us and I watched his shadow stretch over the floor. It grew the more he paced. It was rhythmical pacing.

"Was I wrong?" I blurted out, not staring at Enzo but instead, at my palm. I wanted to breach the gap between us, this newly formed silence. I heard Enzo turn. "Was I wrong to have intervened and helped Willow?"

Enzo inhaled and I looked up at him. He was staring at me. I matched his gaze.

"No, Aoife, you were not wrong and if I was there when all this happened then I would have stopped her too," I opened my mouth to speak but Enzo interrupted me before I could even get a word out. "But Aoife, just because you weren't wrong with your intention doesn't make what you did appropriate,"

My jaw nearly dropped. What?

"What I did?" I retorted, my eyebrows raised in a questioning way.

"Aoife, Erica or me stopping my godmother is very different from you doing so,"

"She would have killed her if I didn't step in!" I argued, not wanting to hear any more from Enzo. I can't even believe what I am currently hearing.

"Aoife, I am not saying that my godmother was right. No, she was wrong. I, in no way support or encourage violence and what she did to Willow is not something I'll ever look at and say was right irrespective of whether she's family or not. If she was wrong then she was wrong. Her ties, bond or relation to me will never be able to change that,"

"Then what are you saying?" I questioned firmly and he came closer stopping by the table.

"I am saying that it was not in your place to stop her, Aoife. There's a hierarchy in this pack, unfortunately, and she's an Elder,"

I let my mouth remain wide for that one.

"Some things are just the way they are. I wish I had come there earlier to prevent this whole mess-"

"Why did she beat her Alpha?"I cut him off, standing to my feet. His lips clamped together and his adamant eyes told me the story of how he did not want to answer the one question I have been asking since he brought me into his office. "Alpha, I asked you a question,"

Enzo shook his head. "The problem isn't the answer to your question, Aoife. The problem is the fact that unfortunately, you have no business knowing that very answer,"

Suddenly, my cheek started to sting again. His answer rippled through me like a dagger piercing through its victim's heart expertly. Why does everything always have to be unfortunate when it comes to Enzo and his pack? My hands dropped to the side and I looked away.

"Funny how you tell me what my business is after I got slapped in front of your pack and family for defending a helpless girl that you should have been there to protect, to begin with. I thought knowing what she did would help me sleep better at night but unfortunately, when humiliation begins, sometimes, I guess it just never ends,"

With a swift glide, I walked right past him. I've had enough for the night. My business or not, I'm just sleepy at this point. Enzo can keep his answers to himself. I'll figure out how to get to the bottom of this mess tomorrow after a much needed long night's rest.

I turn my head to look at him one last time. He's avoiding my eyes. I look directly at his.

"Afterall, I am sure that if I was linked to your pack like everyone else then I wouldn't need to beg you to tell me anything because then I would just hear it but unfortunately, this pack is not mine and unfortunately, as your godmother said, it doesn't matter whether you dress me up in pack clothes, give me pack food or give me a room in your home, the fact remains that I am and will always remain an outsider girl," Enzo's eyes meet mine now and an emotion burns desperately in the rim of his darkened irises. I force a tear to escape my eyes onto my cheek and then I turn away suddenly and hang my head low. I lift my hand to my swollen cheek. "I have understood my place loud and clear,"

I can feel the way guilt invades Enzo instantly. The air shifts and I smile internally, happy that my dialogue may or may not have given him something to feel horrible about. I didn't get utterly humiliated for defending a helpless girl just for him to throw it in my face and tell me it's none of my business so let him chew on that!

Poor Raven, even when you try to be a good person, it doesn't work out so maybe you should just stick to being manipulative and calculative. I've always seemed to have better luck with that anyway.

I make my way out and he calls my name, "Aoife!" in a somewhat dull but concerned tone. I completely ignore him.

I make sure he hears my sobs before I rush out of the office leaving him alone with the guilt I no doubt just made him feel.

But for some reason, I don't feel so good about what I just did either.

~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~🖤~

Unfortunately, this chapter just ended but fortunately, you only have to wait for less than 3 days???

What did you guys this of what just happened in this chapter?

If you do celebrate Christmas, how's that going for ya?

Thank you soooo much for reading!!! Please remember to support this book by dropping a vote, commenting, sharing and following🖤❤️🖤❤️🖤.

~Эмма✌🏻💞

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

2.8M 139K 46
Grace has spent the past two years locked up and held prisoner by Kellan and his rogues. Now that she is finally free she wants nothing more than to...
1.5K 91 26
Running away from something, or someone- she couldn't quite remember-, Raven was unknowingly aided by the beta of the Bloodrose pack. He led her to t...
35.4K 998 24
* Sutton's breath caught, almost like the room was suffocating her and the most intoxicating amazing smell flooded her nose the room became smaller w...
71.4K 2.1K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...