The Captain's Beloved

By neverfakeit

A Regency era courtesan gives up her empire for love and discovers how truly binding her connections are to t... More

1 - Leading the Badgers to War
2 - Returning the Captain's Limb
3 - Finding the Smoking Pelican
4 - Bantering with the Behemoth
5 - Convincing the Curmudgeon
6 - Developing an Accord
7 - Dealing with Delirium
8 - Submitting to Interrogations
9 - Agreeing to Potential Futures
11 - Managing Mister Morrisey
12 - Pontificating Over Port
13 - Testing the Ground
14 - Procuring Peculiar Employment
15 - Making Uncertain Acquaintances
16 - Sampling the Sweeties
17 - Building the Foundation
18 - Attending to the Gossip
19 - Arranging Royal Affairs
20 - Governing Heartsick Men
21 - Conversing with the Countess
22 - Minding a Drunken Sot
23 - Swaying Stubborn Monarchs
24 - Defending Untraditional Engagements
25 - Receiving a Curious Missive
26 - Searching for a Nobleman
27 - Avoiding Royal Obligations
28 - Comparing Toes in Parliament
29 - Accepting New Roles
30 - Battling Men with Foul Manners
31 - Obtaining Courtesy Titles
32 - Making Proposals Official
33 - Titles that Lead to Trouble
34 - Telling Tales of Heartbreak
35 - Reviving Lost Souls
36 - Spying Nobles and Vanishing Pirates
37 - Celebrating Unions of One Sort or Another

10 - Dining and Divulging

1.7K 190 33
By neverfakeit

Knowing Jules's planned to announce our courtship, I did not insist on having the carriage take me round my home before we arrived at the Thompson residence. While I was eager to see my staff, I was not so eager to tell them of my decision to accept Jules's offer. There were endless details to work out, which had my stomach in knots by the time we pulled in front of the Thompson's walk.

What was worse, Jules had not taken his eyes off the pendant that I held inside my gloved hand. Fortunately, he didn't probe me for answers in the company of his family. But I knew it was coming, and the greeting I received from the Thompson's houseman was a welcome reprieve from Jules's silent scrutiny.

"Mistress Hayes, you are a sight for this old man's sore eyes."

"Come now, Carter. You are not an old man. Besides, I have heard that we grow better as we age."

"I believe you are speaking of brandy, but I will take the compliment just the same." He turned his smile on Jules as he reached out a ready hand. "It is wonderful to see home in one piece, Captain Thompson. I am glad this tour did not keep you away so long."

"Oh, I am sure you rarely notice I'm missing." Jules gave Carter a friendly back slap, which he offered with the vigor of a man who enjoyed the sport of boxing. Carter skillfully managed the gesture without coughing.

We were all sat in the sitting room, and a tray of afternoon tea and brandy was wheeled out. It had been an age since I enjoyed a good cup of tea, and that first sip felt like heaven had opened up to spill its sweetness upon us.

"So, son. Why don't you begin by breaking the suspense and making your announcement." The admiral was handed a generous pour of Brandy by his houseman and reclined comfortably in his wingback. "I have completely run out of speculations at this point." He tipped his glass to his lips while offering me a sidelong glance. I knew the admiral to be a clever man. Had he already worked things out for himself?

"Very well." Jules made his family wait while Carter poured his brandy. Once his glass was in hand, he followed his father's manner, reclining into his chair and taking a long, relaxing draw off the liquid.

"Oh, really Jules. Must you always be such a tease," Alice said.

"Can't a man enjoy his first taste of brandy after being at sea for three months?" He smiled over his glass, looking pleased with himself. When his gaze landed on me, I felt the weight of it. Something akin to a bushel of potatoes being dropped on my chest. Did he do these things on purpose? "Rose and I have had an opportunity to secure our relationship further while at sea together, and we have come to the conclusion that it would benefit us both to begin a formal courtship."

"Eek! I knew it!" Alice immediately threw her arms around me and squeezed my middle until I felt a seam pop. "I am so happy right now I just can't tell you with words."

"You're doing just fine showing me." I hugged her back, and we both giggled a bit.

"Well, this is fine news. I believe a toast is in order." The admiral raised his glass, to which each of us did the same. I could not help feeling my decision to see this thing through with Jules was the right one, especially whenever our eyes met and the most delightful flutter erupted behind my ribs, when it wasn't clobbering me like a sack of potatoes. I was beginning to understand why so many people fell prey to matrimony.

"Now, it's time for my announcement." Alice set her teacup down and clasped her hands together as if she had been conspiring something. "Countess Kingsley and I have been exchanging missives since you left. We have become rather close."

"That's wonderful, Alice," I said.

"It is, quite. She is a lovely person. But that is not all. She has invited me to join her and Cicily ̶ that's Albert's sister-in-law, for a holiday at their estate in Coventry. Isn't that splendid!"

"Indeed. You must have impressed her to have secured such an invitation." I patted her hand, feeling a swell of sisterly pride. "When is this holiday due to take place?"

"Friday next. I have already begun packing. I was hoping you could help me choose the appropriate form of dress for a holiday in the countryside."

"I would love that."

Carter arrived to announce dinner, and we retired to the dining room. When Alice insisted we each observe a moment of silent blessing, I took that opportunity to say a prayer for my dear friend, Reverend Lawtey, whom I would not see for a full week. The poor fellow was not going to be pleased with my news.

Given the amount of information we all had to share, conversation continued unabated as we enjoyed a fine meal of braised lamb chops with peas and carrots. I even managed to draw a friendly welcome from the Thompson's maidservant, Thelma. Dessert was served, a divine plum pudding, and everything seemed to be going supremely as we retired back to the sitting room. Then...

"Please, Mistress Hayes, tell us the story of how you came to know this pirate captain." The admiral's question caused an immediate attack of stomach cramps, but I fought to maintain a calm demeanor as I provided my honest answer.

"It's quite a harrowing tale, actually. I spotted a pair of lifeboats bobbing on the open sea, and the Surety adjusted their course to investigate. It turned out, the captain and his crew were attacked by an American flagship. From the stories he told me, the battle did not last long, given that his ship was severely outgunned. Most of his crew did not survive. And neither did his ship."

"You spotted the lifeboats?" Jules said.

"Yes. It happened during my cadet training. I always kept my maritime telescope with me when I visited the upper deck. I believe that was the moment I earned the respect of the colonel. He's a tough one."

"Most officers are," the admiral said. "And despite the fact that this captain and his crew were obviously pirates, he chose to bring them on board?"

"Of course. They would have drowned if he hadn't. The Surety is a hospital ship, after all. And Duncan was near death when we found him."

"Duncan?" Both Jules and his father spoke simultaneously, and their suspicious tone had me cursing under my breath.

"Yes. Duncan Boucetta. He is the son of an Algerian fisherman. I assure you, there was never any ill intent on his part. We merely shared stories."

The suspicious glint remained as Jules continued his interrogation. "And what about that pendant you were wearing? Did that come from Boucetta?"

"Yes. He felt compelled to gift the pendant to me after I helped him through his recovery."

"That is quite a gift for someone who merely shared stories. From what I saw of it, I expect it has some value."

"I agree with Jules," said the admiral. "I would not be surprised if you're in possession of stolen goods."

I lowered my eyes to my lap, but only to escape their accusatory stares. Not because I felt guilty for my actions. When I had found my strength, I lifted them again. "What would you have me do, then?"

"You could turn the item in to the authorities. Perhaps, there has been a report made," the admiral offered.

Jules nodded his agreement. "Personally, I do not like the idea of you possessing something that came from a pirate, much less another man. It isn't proper, given our commitment."

I smiled politely, hoping it came across, because they were not going to like my response. "I have received many fine gifts from benefactors over the years, and I have no intention of returning them now that we are courting. However, I do appreciate your input on the matter, and I will take it under consideration. For the time being, the pendant will remain in my safe at home."

As expected, they responded with matching scowls. Jules added a frustrated huff for good measure. "Speaking of homes," he said curtly. "We need to secure a proper residence for you. I prefer we keep discussions open on my plan that you reside here while I take up the position in Chatham."

"You're going to take the position in Chatham? That's wonderful!" Alice bounced in her seat as she let her excitement get the better of her. It was clear she wished to smother him in the same way she had done with me, but she held back. "Why didn't you mention that earlier?"

"Perhaps, I was not given the chance." He raised his eyebrows and she tsked him playfully.

"Tell me about this plan you have for Mistress Hayes to take up residence here," said the admiral.

Although, it was impossible to tell how he truly felt about the idea, I had a hunch the admiral was not completely opposed to it. He likely believed a female figure in the home would be good for Alice. But I still felt it was inappropriate, and the mood had changed too many times for me to recall. I needed a reprieve from it.

"Why don't I let the three of you discuss my future residence without me," I said. "Right now, I would like to return home and greet my staff. I have been away a long while, and there is much to be worked out. I hope you understand."

On our journey from the door to my carriage, Jules remained silent. Perhaps he was realizing I would not sacrifice my needs just to make this easy for him.

"Would you like to bring your family round my home on Wednesday for dinner?" I asked. "I should have my affairs in some semblance of order by then, and we can discuss our options for moving forward."

With his attention focused on the walk, Jules spoke to his boots. "You make this all sound like a business transaction."

"Well, my business does come into play. I know you were hoping for something more traditional, but I do not foresee our courtship playing out in the usual fashion. At least, not initially."

He bobbed his head in slow agreement. "I suppose I should have seen this coming. I guess I was hoping for a bit more... a bit more..." He glanced up as we arrived at the carriage, his words still stuck in his throat.

"Romance?" I offered.

If I was reading him correctly, he appeared wounded at my suggestion. "Among other things. But now I'm wondering what you were hoping to get out of this endeavor."

What kind of question was that? Had he gone loopy after his brush with death? "I want the same things you do. Romance being among them."

"What else?"

"Well, I enjoy our conversations. I suspect we will engage in those more often while we're courting. We could also consider taking up a hobby together."

"What sort of hobby?"

I gave his inquiry some thought and found a suitable suggestion without much effort. "I have long been interested in learning battledore and shuttlecock. It is one game my tutor did not participate in but that I wished she had."

"Hmm. How would it be if I arranged that? Of course, I would first need to visit my commanding officer and receive my Chatham orders. It is likely I will be required to leave London within a fortnight."

"That suits me just fine."

Having waited for our conversation to come to a natural stopping point, the carriage driver opened the door, allowing Jules to see me inside.

"My family will be at your home this Wednesday for dinner," he said. "Two o'clock?"

"Perfect. I look forward to our next exchange, Captain. And, welcome home."

"Same to you, Mistress Hayes." He wore a dutiful smile as he watched the carriage trundle down the street, and I could not help wondering what sort of thoughts were commanding his attention. Did he feel as uncertain about this courtship business as I did? How long would he let it play out before he proposed again?

I ignored my distracted mind and tried to enjoy the scene outside the carriage window. London overwhelmed the senses, and I took it all in like a mother hen embracing her brood. Before I knew it, we were pulling in front of my beautiful Palladian home. While it technically belonged to the Duke of Norfolk, he always insisted I make it feel like mine.

I had a suspicion my staff knew the Surety was making port today, so I was not surprised when Tilda threw open the door and squealed her delight as the coachman retrieved my bags.

"Mistress Hayes! It be such a relief to see you!" Without regard for passersby, she embraced me right there on the walk. And I did not have the heart to correct her grammar. I knew her language would be left unchecked in my absence.

"It's wonderful to see you too, Tilda. I have missed you all so much."

Jasper appeared at the door and offered me a toothy grin. "Welcome home, Mistress Hayes. You get yourself inside. I'll manage the coachman and bags."

I was escorted into the foyer like a young girl at her coming out, while Tilda pelted me with an unending stream of inquiries.

"Were you frightened out at sea? Did your stomach trouble you? Your complexion is lovely. Like a rose. Did the weather behave? Did the officers behave? Oh! Did you find Captain Thompson?"

I chuckled as I handed Tilda my pelisse. "I did find Captain Thompson. We traveled back together. And I will share all my grand adventures as soon as I have had a proper bath. Could you see that my pelisse is cleaned as well. It rarely left my back."

After a quick visit with Clara and Douglas in the kitchen, Tilda doted on me for the better part of the evening. While she tended me in my bath, I answered all the questions she saw fit to ask. She was especially interested in the story of Captain Boucetta after I showed her the pendant. And while I fully intended to keep it secure inside my safe, I was already hoping for an opportunity to wear it out.

At supper, Clara and Douglas stayed later than usual to listen to the tales of my ocean adventure, told by myself and embellished with enthusiastic commentary from Tilda. With everyone in attendance, I knew there was no advantage to delay the inevitable.

"You may already have your suspicions about this next bit of news I have to share." I caught the eye of everyone at the table and found each one wearing some sort of grin. "Captain Thompson has asked to court me."

"Well, that's no surprise," Jasper said. "You did chase after him. What else was the fellow supposed to do?"

Clara smacked Jasper's arm. "Let the girl finish."

"You said yes, didn't you?" Tilda appeared the most excited, although she was the only member of my staff whose job was not secure should I be required to leave the duke's residence.

"Yes. I agreed to suspend my activities as a courtesan to give our relationship a chance to grow. Of course, neither of us are certain we will find the arrangement suitable. There are a number of complications still to work out."

"There are always complications to work out," Clara said. "You'll be waiting forever if you think that way."

"She's right," Douglas added. "But the complications keep the doldrums away." He smiled at Clara, and her cheeks turned rosy.

"I am not so naïve to think life will be easy as pie with the captain. I am speaking of the difficulties I'll be managing to maintain my independence. This may prove to be a longer courtship than is usual."

"When will you tell your benefactors of your decision?" Tilda asked.

"Tomorrow. I will send missives to all of them requesting they attend me here at their earliest convenience."

With that done, I asked for a healthy pour of brandy and read through the many missives I had received during my absence until my eyes could no longer do their job. And when I slipped between the linens of my four-poster bed, I realized how much I had missed sleeping in a proper cot. There was not much more a girl could want than that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.6K 680 21
Lana is a girl that moved from LA, California to Germany. She tries to find a job, and when she finds a job it's babysitting one of her mom's friend...
37.1K 2.9K 27
This is a story of a woman who is afraid to love...and a man who just can't stop himself from loving her. Rachel is a small town college drop-out wh...
479K 16.8K 47
***Finnegan Callahan is the son of an Irishman. He loves rye whiskey, women and gambling though he always leaves his women a bit more bitter and his...
178K 11.8K 33
A 19th century London courtesan agrees to a phony courtship with a navy captain and finds herself negotiating uncharted territory outside the boudoir...