Career Choice || Hachiman x...

By ShitsAndOrGiggles

It is near graduation for Hachiman Hikigaya, Yukino Yukinoshita, and Yui Yuigahama. As they become young adul... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 11

3.1K 93 42
By ShitsAndOrGiggles

The most common thought after an incident like that would be 'What was I thinking?'.

But I believe that I retaliated in self-defense. Punching that guy and tackling him to the ground was the smartest decision ever made. Second to finding the right present for Komachi.

For the first time, I felt very powerful in my capabilities. I was a coward,

Looking back at 2nd year, he really pushed me to the wall and did all that. And he likely assumed I was the same person and I wouldn't fight back.

They never said that working out builds confidence.

I have heard that it doesn't matter if you work out or not, the USMC will break your limits. I only gave myself a normal workout because I needed to pass the PT (Physical Training).

As the week begin to pass, Komachi has successfully transported my homework to my room so I could graduate. I need a high school diploma if I want to have a higher chance of becoming a marine.

"I get punching the handsome Hayama would make you ditch school but I think Yukino-chan and Yui-chan are really worried."

"That is the least of your concerns. I doubt you would keep in contact with them after they graduate. They'll be so busy going to university."

She exhaled a deep sigh and leaves the homework on my desk.

Have I told my parents yet? I will write them a letter about my disappearance. Komachi said that I should tell them in a way where it doesn't escalate into violence. So that's was the best I thought of.

My dad can man up for all I care. He told me to find something that pays off my university, I got something that would pay for my entire life.

It's my mother I'm more worried about. She will 100% refuse to let me go.

You only need parental consent if you're 17. I turned 18 not long ago so I'm officially an adult in US standards.

...

Graduation day has finally arrived.

You'd think I would keep my promise. But do you really expect me to show up to school and casually greet them after they probably found out I violently attacked Hayama? I'm surprised I wasn't expelled.

Someone must've saved me in the nick of time.

What I did was unnecessary. I only did it out of sheer anger and I wasn't in control of myself.

But he shouldn't have punched me to begin with.

What would the outcome have been if he hadn't shown up?

Yukinoshita's hands were wrapped around my face, and it was centimeters away from hers. And that was the only time I had second thoughts about joining the military.

Could it be that....

No, that wouldn't happen. Not even in 14,000,605 different scenarios in alternate universes.

And before graduation had officially started, I secretly went to the gymnasium where everything was set up already. There were only a few students present but none of them would notice my presence which I am glad it finally came in handy.

The security system seems really dull and has many flaws.

There are a bunch of high school diplomas just laying on the table, ready to be given to the 3rd year students.

"Senpai?"

Dammit..

"Senpai, is that really you? Oh my god!"

Isshiki noticed my presence immediately. What happened to my unnoticeable presence? Has it finally become useless? This wasn't a good sign.

She runs up towards me with a beaming smile.

"I haven't seen you in weeks! How have you been?"

"It's going.. well. Being able to graduate finally takes me away from your problems."

Act like you normally do, Hachiman, and you will leave with your high school diploma successfully.

"How rude. I'll have you know I will strive to involve myself in your life. Make that a promise-"

She stopped her sentence.

That was strange. Would've sworn she would say something to cover up what she initially thought.

"Senpai...."

A low and depressed tone.

So she had found out.

Then I don't need to wear a mask.

"You heard from them, didn't you?"

"First of all. Thank you for punching Hayama-senpai for me. I was still thinking of a way to get revenge on him without noticing it was me. But then I heard about the incident. And then I-..... also heard about your enlistment to the... m-m..."

Have I not noticed that I was a really good friend to her? Or maybe I wasn't the good friend, I'm not even crying.. I just kept staring at her crying.

And with her crying, I found the perfect moment to snatch my diploma and keep it hidden behind me.

"Why? Why do you make me feel this way, Senpai? Just when I thought things were going well..."

"I hope nobody told you this but my father is potentially going to kick me out of the house. This is the only way to ensure my survival. Everything I am doing, is for the best of my future. You need to worry about yourself rather than worry for others."

"That... That certainly is surprising news. But can you promise to keep on contact with me? Or maybe you can write letters."

That's definitely not going to happen.

"The best I can do right now is give you a hug."

She instantly back away.

"What is with that sentence? Were you trying to flirt your way while I was at my most vulnerable state? Sorry, I only date men who work out their bodies. It made my heart skip a beat there but then I realize it came from your mouth
Sorry, so sorry."

Now I really regret trying to be nice to her.

"Okay, if that is all you need, I'm going-"

Arms wrapped around my waist, a head lays my chest. I was hugged again by a girl.

"See you at graduation ceremony, Senpai."

She loosens her grip and let's go of me, waving me a huge goodbye.

"Y-Yeah, see you tonight."

And I knew that it wouldn't happen, not in a million parallel universes.

...

The last day of school had ended.

Everyone was happy for their summer break.

Teachers had to complain about their 2nd summer job now. 1st year students begin talking about how 2nd year is going to be super hard. 2nd year students are going to daydream about their own graduation. 3rd year students had to sign up to a college or university and think of their future careers.

But mine was already set.

As I exit the school building, I took 1 good look at it on more time.

Nostalgia is going to be my biggest weakness, second to the neck. So I might as well overcome that weakness. I burned the image of the school into my brains. There were students walking out, students saying goodbye to each other, and students talking to their teachers one last time.

The only thing that was burned into my brain besides the school building, was the Service Club room. Lots of drama happened, only drama. That was all I could think about.

2nd year - Yukinoshita hated the way I did things.

3rd year - My secrets were revealed and the outcome was me punching Hayama in the face.

You can only solve the same problems once, because the second time it comes, it hits like a 60mph truck harder than you would calculate.

I leave tomorrow morning. I'll use a taxi cab to go to Chiba Airport and fly to Parris Island. I got accepted and will become a marine recruit.

I heard they shave your head off. But I will make necessary sacrifices if I do. Besides, hair is only temporary, so I'll grow it once I get deployed.

12-13 weeks of hardcore physical training and education.

But before I leave, maybe I should visit the few locations of Chiba so I can remember it as much as I can.

...

It was getting dark.

Maybe I shouldn't have visited so many places at once.

So I finally decided to go back home and get ready to pack my things. I already sold some of my stuff so I can get the taxi cab money.

The only thing that separated me from home was a bridge. It's no problem, I'll walk over it.

Someone was crying...

Did I walk in on someone crying?

In front of me, was a girl with long black hair. It looked similar, I thought to myself. She looked similar.

"Yukinoshita?"

Why was my mouth blurting her name? Was it actually her?

The girl turned around, and that confirmed her identity that she is Yukinoshita.

She wiped her tears with her clothing and takes a deep breath.

"You're an idiot, Hikigaya-kun."

A gust of wind, passes through us, leaving us a cold feel due to the low temperature night. It was not snowing, but her mere presence completely surrounded the radius of the bridge with imaginary snow, and you could feel it.

"Guess I've been caught. So what now?"

"Stopping you is impossible for a millennium, always has been. But there is something that I can do to make it count."

What on earth does mean? What is she going to make it count of?

"Hikigaya-kun, due to your dull and non-progressive brain, you are unaware that you have people that care about you."

Hard to believe that.

"There are 3 obvious people that care a lot about your well being. Your mother, your father, and most certainly Komachi-san. You wouldn't be here without your mother and father. Without your sister, I believe you would have had anger issues. Or maybe you won't be a Siscon in your lifetime for once."

She takes a step forward, walking towards me. It's as if she planned every single word and every single sentence, and she wanted to say it at me as soon as she met her gaze with mine.

"Yuigahama-san cares a lot, more than you assume. She trusts you completely to the point she didn't even notice she was manipulated."

I wouldn't say I manipulated her. What I think I did, was tell her a lie in order to comfort her. Lies used to be despicable in my opinion.

But now, I noticed that everything was a lie. History is filled with liars. History is written by the victors, who are liars. And those lies have potentially saved the world from destroying itself more than several times.

There are times where the truth is what you believe in, the truth is who you you choose believe in, which means, the truth you believe in, is a lie.

"And most importantly, I care for you."

Hold on...

Something is wrong, I can feel it.

Was this part of the script she has supposedly been speaking of?

"You never may have noticed but... actually you should've. You should have noticed how much I care for you. My reaction towards your enlistment to the military shocked me quite a bit, a lot actually. It was the least of my concerns of your future."

She was thinking about my future careers before I even cared for them. What was wrong with this girl? I thought I told her to worry about herself more than me.

"I know I can't stop you from going.. I know I can't stop you from leaving Chiba. But I just want to let you know..."

My hands were trembling... Why?

All my years of being bullied all because of I asked a girl out. Of all people, why is this girl caring for me? The opposite should happen. My identity should be completely eradicated in this city once I leave. So why is it that some people will remember me?

"We will remember you, Hikigaya-kun. Your identity will make our memories cherish these moments."

"Stop. Stop that. It's creeping me out, you're totally out of character right now."

"And you have been acting out of character this whole time. Why are your hands shaking?"

Maybe because it is cold? It is indeed night time, so I tend to get cold and my body shakes to remind me that I am freezing here.

Maybe this is also a good excuse to leave before things get out of hand.

"Whatever you're trying to do, it isn't going to work-"

I noticed her face was inches across from mine, and she was looking at me with such piercing glares.

"Let me repeat this one more time, since your non-existent ears can listen one more time. I know that I cannot stop you from going. That is why.. I just want to remind you that a lot of people care for you, and they will remember you."

Her piercing glares slowly turned into soft stares.

My body felt like it was being wrapped by 2 different objects. Except those objects were from an alive human. And it's head was resting on my chest.

The Ice Queen woman who has been insulting me, and probably despised me for 2 years, has hugged me for the first time.

I didn't know what to do.

Isshiki and Yuigahama were minor problems that I got over with. But this one was something I couldn't overcome.

"I would also want to know that... one of those people would like to keep in contact with you... while you're serving..."

My heart begin beating extremely fast. The cold night suddenly became overwhelmed with bursting heat from my cheeks and body.

What is with the rom com gods? Wasn't it already over as soon as my life flashed before my very eyes? Could this be an alternate universe where I don't die? What would the other universe be like if I actually died during that encounter with the drug dealer?

But now.. All I could think of... was this woman.

What was wrong with this woman? Worrying about me more than herself?

But then I remember those words she told me, minutes after we both met.

She was also a victim of bullying, for being too pretty and perfect. But there is no perfect person. I learned that the hard way when I used to acknowledge Yukinoshita as someone who is beautiful, perfect, and someone who doesn't lie.

But even someone as perfect as Yukinoshita, has to lie for there to be peace.

It is like you are forced to lie in historic events so peace can be maintained.

Columbus didn't discover America, he invaded it. Elementary schools teach you that with lots of lies to keep the mind of an innocent child alive, but then high school goes more depth into it, where a highschooler's mind is unpredictable.

"Are you lying to me, Yukinoshita?"

My sentence interrupted the silence.

"Didn't I tell you during 2nd year, Hikigaya-kun?"

She breaks away from the hug, giving me a small but heartwarming smile.

"I'm not a person who tends to lie, a lot."

[ Next Morning ]

Dear parents,

My random disappearance may potentially give you a heart attack. But do not fear. I am not missing, nor have I been killed, well maybe not yet. But don't get worried.

After multiple decisions, I have made myself clear that I wish to enlist in the United States Marine Corps. Finding a job has proved very difficult and I was left with only this viable choice since father threatened to kick me out of the house. It pays me pretty well and I can easily get promoted if I show hard work and leadership. And I get covered by the government once I retire so it's great in my opinion.

After 12-13 weeks of training, I plan to deploy as soon as possible to get my promotions and serve my time. I'll probably come back to Chiba, if I am lucky, I'll come back in 1 piece.

If I am killed in action, the people will notify you.

Love you both, specifically mother.

- Written by Hikigaya Hachiman.

"Done! Gosh that hurt my hand."

I wrote it too fast and now my hand is suddenly tired. That is what I get for not training my hand strength. Is there even a thing called hand stamina? Probably not.

"Onii-chan, hurry up! Your taxi cab!"

Komachi is going to have to play the innocent part of not knowing my sudden disappearance as well. Lying maintained peace in some ways.

I grabbed my luggage and quickly exit the house before I could make any loud noises.

It was 6 in the morning but I was hardly tired at all. Komachi on the other hand, was on the brink of falling asleep once more.

"Onii-chan, wait!"

For the first time in many years, she has finally hugged me.

The little sister who even refused to give me a compliment gave me a hug of all times. But it didn't matter. Now I could leave with satisfaction.

"Make sure you graduate and find a job before father kicks you out of the house."

"I have my ways."

Don't tell me she's gonna manipulate some high ranking men. I would be proud but it would give my little sister a bad image.

"I'm gonna miss you too much."

Is 'too much' really necessary? There is no limit to love for one another. Okay that sounded out of context but sibling love-, okay never mind.

"Goodbye, Onii-chan!"

A beaming smile and her hands waving goodbye gave me the consent of entering the taxi cab.

"Chiba Airport."

I hand him the cash I saved up by selling some of my childhood belongings. It's a shame I couldn't spend them on Komachi's birthday present.

...

"Passengers who are destined to South Carolina, your flight will be arriving in 5 minutes."

6:55 am.

It will arrive in 7:00 am and it will be opened in 7:05 am.

Now I'll just sit and relax-

"Hikki!"

And there goes my 2 second relaxation.

Just a few meters away from me, a Yuigahama appears and runs towards me.

"Hikki, I almost missed the flight. Yukinon told me that you were leaving this morning so I had my mom drive me to the airport so I can say goodbye. But she was too distracted that I had graduated Soubu High School and almost crashed the car twice."

I am more concerned on how you are still alive.

"I'm very glad that you care for me."

Instead of showing gratitude, her face starts giving 'creeping me out' vibes.

"That's weird.. Hikki.. Are you okay?"

"Never mind. Where is Yukinoshita?"

"She's coming. Oh wait, there she is."

Good to know she doesn't arrive when the staffs announce that the main protagonist's flight had arrived.

"Good morning, Hikigaya-kun."

If I had a penny for every time she said that to me, I would spend it on Komachi's birthday present for sure.

"Quick, let's take one good picture of us together. This will give us some fun memories whenever we reunite again."

Yuigahama forcibly positioned us to be in an awkward position. I was at the middle. Both Yuigahama and Yukinoshita's shoulders were touching mines.

Click!

A bright flash of light stuns my sight for a few seconds. Yuigahama carried an expensive camera as the photo begin to come out of the camera.

"Shake it a few times and it will become crystal clear."

A few dozen rounds of shaking the photo that was black, now turned into color.

It was quite embarrassing nonetheless.

Yuigahama had a bright smile, looking at the camera. Surprisingly, Yukinoshita was prepared for a situation like this and barely made a smile before she took the picture. Meanwhile I was extremely surprised by it, making it very.. laughable face.

I could hear Yukinoshita giggling while her back was turned onto me.

Flight 8 has arrived. Passengers who will be flying to South Carolina, USA will now begin to show their passports.

Looks like my time in Chiba was up.

"Hikki, we're going to miss you a lot."

"I'll keep that in mind."

"Be sure to remind yourself."

Yuigahama didn't understand what Yukinoshita meant, but only I did. But I didn't nod or anything. That would be giving too much hints.

"Now then, I'll be leaving now."

I'm now a young adult at the age of 18. The future awaits me, and I await for the future.

"Goodbye!"
"Goodbye.."

I wave them one last time.

As I begin to sit on the passenger seat right next to the window, I put my hands in my pocket and felt something weird inside it.

I grabbed it out and found the photo we 3 recently took together.

On the back...

Send me letters, Hikimessenger-kun.

It showed Yukinoshita's address.

This girl.. how did she manage to write it without both me and Yuigahama's awareness.

"Flight 8 will now begin to fly."

Now then, break my limits both physically and mentally.

__________________________

A few chapters about military life and then a massive timeskip of 4 years.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

583K 20.5K 32
The last thing I remembered was walking around school and then seeing this tall building pop out of nowhere... So how the fuck did I end up here? Aft...
29.4K 674 30
A quiet, stoic girl and a quiet, shy boy meet, what will happen? --------------------------------------- (Y/N) (L/N) was never really that popular in...
42K 1.5K 25
Y/N Shiozaki is a transfer from America. Born to a Japanese mother and an American father, life home was quite average. Went to a public school and h...
22K 688 23
This has some trigger warnings please don't read if you are sensitive to any of these topics ⚠sensitive topics⚠ ⚠sexual activities⚠ Overal this story...