The Donut Shop ✔️

By reena-ns

In a small Arizona town, average teen Ethan Chen is just trying to survive another day of hell, er, high scho... More

Aesthetics and Setting
Playlist
They Learned That...
'D' stands for 'Don't Close!'
'O' stands for 'Open Up'
'N' Stands for 'Not Today, Satan'
'U' Stands for 'Unforeseen Circumstances'
'T' Stands for 'Trouble'
'S' Stands for 'Solidarity'
'A' Stands for 'Act!'
'R' Stands for 'Respect Family Time'
'E' Stands for 'Exceptional Work'
'W' Stands for 'Wild Arguments'
'O' Stands for 'Opinion Overload'
'R' Stands for 'Remember Promises'
'T' Stands for 'Terrible News'
'H' Stands for 'Hellfire'
'F' Stands for 'Funerals'
'I' Stands for 'Infidel'
'G' Stands for 'Ghastly Discoveries'
'H' Stands for 'Harrowing Experiences'
'T' Stands for 'Torrential Encounters'
'I' Stands for 'Introspective'
'N' Stands for 'Notional Fears'
'G' Stands for 'Grandiose Shows'
'F' Stands for 'Frivolity and Founded Conversation'
'O' Stands for 'Oh My God!'
'R' Stands for 'Risky Break-Ins'
'O' Stands for 'Ousted'
'G' Stands for 'Graphic Novels'
'E' Stands for 'Ethan'
'T' Stands for 'Think it into Reality'
'H' Stands for 'Honest Surprises'
'E' Stands for 'Easing into a New Normal'
'R' Stands for 'Rest, at Last'
Character Sketches
BOOK MEMES
Author's Note
EXTRA SCENE #1
EXTRA SCENE #2

'T' Stands for 'Treaties of Love'

79 9 31
By reena-ns

"Mara? What are you doing here?" Ethan asked her through the door, and she beamed at him before focusing her attention on Tweed. 

"I would be crazy to let you two have all the fun in catching the bad guy. Now, how to get you out of here..." she trailed off, thinking deliberately. Tweed's mouth twisted to the side as they were all quiet, thinking. 

"Try backing up and kicking the door below the handle," Tweed ordered, but as he finished telling her what to do, the door swung open, and in her hand were two small pieces of metal. 

"I told you I can think for myself," she said in a hushed tone, but it wasn't threatening or snappy, but rather restating a fact. They both shared a look before Ethan interrupted their lovey-dovey gazing at each other with a clearing of his throat.

"I believe that we have a town to meet in front of," he said, and they both nodded, their faces growing serious as they all raced out of the house, toward the car. Tweed shoved the key in the ignition, and the old car roared to life. They still held out hope until Ethan pointed out the time on his phone. 

"We couldn't have been trapped for so long... it's already 11 o'clock. The meeting already started," Ethan said with his eyes as wide as saucers. He looked back at Tweed, who had a dismayed look on his face. Mara still held a determined expression as the car screeched to a halt outside of the town hall building, no doubt leaving skid marks on the asphalt. 

The doors were beginning to close when they pulled up, but Mara darted out of the car, her feet pounding against the pavement as she stuck her hand between the slightly-ajar double doors, right as they were a click away from shutting. 

She yelped at the impact of the door on her arm, but she was still able to keep it open in enough time for the boys to join her and slip in. The security guard at the door opened his mouth to protest, but the gang was in the meeting before the word 'stop' could fly off his tongue. 

"We made it," Tweed whispered in disbelief, and they all struggled to find empty seats. The interior itself was rather indistinguishable from other official buildings, with a high ceiling gilded in ancient artwork and beautifully glossy, parquet floors. Everything was lavish except for the fold-up chairs arranged in rows in the center of the room. 

The town hall was packed— not a chair was empty, and it seemed that the entire town had turned up. They managed to snag three seats, but all of the seats were separate from each other. 

The mayor laid the agenda out before the meeting officially started, and they all listened with care at the time they would present their case. All three of them collectively groaned, and it could be heard across the different places of the room they were seated in. Red would be presenting his side after theirs.

"First up, a statement from Mr. Chen, Mr. Ramirez, and Miss Bauchmann on the closure of Sol Bakery," he announced, giving them all concerned, yet vaguely supportive smiles. 

Ethan got up first and led their party onto the stage, clearing his throat in front of the microphone. With nerves shooting through his body like mini-lightning bolts, he cleared his throat and the microphone let out a glaring whine. He waited for it to settle before he glanced at Mara and Tweed, who both gave him a thumbs-up. 

"People of Ridgecrest. We have come here to present an issue to you all of something that has recently happened. The death, and the subsequent closure of the establishment that has brought this town together. Sol Bakery. 

"Most people remember this bakery as a great, family-friendly place to enjoy delectable pastries, but this place... it's so much more than that. We have all had great memories within those simple four walls. Maybe you met your spouse there. Maybe you had your first kiss in the shop. But, one thing is certain, regardless of your differing experiences within the bakery. It's home. 

"Sol Bakery is a place that has united the struggling misfits who had nowhere else to go, like us. Sol Bakery is where a ton of people find solace from the harsh, unforgiving world..." 

As Ethan started telling the story of Straw Man, he spotted certain concerned looks sprinkled throughout the audience, mainly from older folks. He just continued speaking. 

"Mrs. Heifenmeir would have wanted up to keep her memory, and the story of her family's struggle, within those walls. 

"They were a family of immigrants who sailed from Germany to find a new beginning, and that's what the place represents-- diversity and new beginnings," he stated. Incidentally, he caught the eye of Red, who was sitting smugly in the front row, his arms across his chest, which was clad in an expensive suit like always. 

"Yeah. Sol Bakery might be just a place. It might be just another run-down, small business being forced out of town by corporate giants, but isn't it better to fight for the locally-owned companies? You all knew Mrs. Heifenmeir. She deserves her memory preserved within such a fantastic place," Ethan finished, sucking in a shaky breath and stilling his shaking hands.

Mara captured the mic from Ethan when he was finished talking, and he shuffled to the back of the stage, where Tweed was looking at Mara strangely. 

"You may be wondering, how are a couple of kids planning to keep a business open. Well, it's simple. According to section eight of our town's charter, we need one hundred signatures and the entry fee to propose a building be restored as a town relic. Sol Bakery, as it's over seventy years old, is able to qualify.

"On our own, we have raised around five hundred dollars to pay for the last weeks of rent, and the building stayed in the Heifenmeir's family name for the past month. I think if we can do that, we can keep the place open. For Mrs. Heifenmeir. For the stories of all of the misfits," she concluded. Hesitantly, one person began clapping, then two, and soon after, it was a whole barrage of loud claps. 

They grinned at one another and departed the stage, taking their separate seats. A bit baffled, the mayor rejoined the stage to introduce Red. 

Red stood from his chair, flashing a professional, brief grin to everyone behind him. He began making his way to the stairs, buttoning the blazer of his suit. His shoes carried him silently as he glided across the stage and halted in front of the microphone. 

"As the son of Mrs. Heifenmeir, I think it's time to put some of the nonsense to bed. My mother fully endorsed my bakery, and she was willing to close the family business to give the liquidation money to me," he said, the microphone picking up his smooth tone with precise quality.

"The truth is, no one really needs a place like Sol Bakery around. It represents the time before innovation. She made all of the pastries by hand, and that process put more expenses onto you, the consumer. 

"My mother's pastries were delicious, and she will be missed, but it's time for a cheaper, cost-efficient change to Ridgecrest. Join me in celebrating the grand opening of Red's Doughnuts, and during opening night, I'll even offer you all a free doughnut, courtesy of this 'large corporation,'" he mocked, pointedly looking at Ethan as he said so. 

"Thank you to everyone who will support Red's Doughnuts!" he shouted and took a mock bow, causing Ethan to gag. Who did he think he was?

Once again, the mayor stepped forward with closing remarks. "The students have presented their signatures earlier, but... the evidence provided isn't accurate in reflecting all of the beliefs in town," he began. 

Ethan's eyes narrowed. 

"As the signatures were only collected from a student population, the rights are immediately given to Mr. Thomas Red, and Sol Bakery will be ruled as having a dangerous foundation and demolished within the week. Next thing on the agenda!" the mayor announced. 

Ethan's lips parted, and he sat dumbfounded. Had... What just happened? The mayor's mouth kept moving and presenting more things for the town to talk about, but he had checked out. The bakery... all of their work to keep it open...

His eyes darted around the crowd, but no one seemed to be sharing the same level of disbelief as him. Tweed and Mara looked dismayed, but they didn't appear angry like he felt. He nearly stood up from his seat and argued his case again, but his legs felt like spaghetti. He couldn't lift them. 

Minutes turned into an hour, and the town hall meeting concluded. Mindlessly, he watched as the mayor stepped off the stage, nodding to Red, who nodded back. Clumps of people began streaming out of the building, and Ethan trudged out too. 

When he was outside, someone, Tweed, grabbed his arm and pulled him to the side, but he didn't seem to feel it. He didn't feel anything. 

"Ethan... are you okay?" Tweed asked. No, he wasn't okay. He wanted to climb to the highest point in town and shout it. He wasn't okay. 

"We missed it. We lost," Ethan whispered as they gathered outside of the doors, on the marble steps, which were decorated with thick pillars. 

"Condolences, Elliot. I really liked Heifenmeir's donuts," one of the girls leaving the building said, pressing her hand to her chest. One of her friends smacked her arm and corrected her loudly, stating that his name was Ethan. 

Exasperated, Ethan blinked a few times and returned to Mara and Tweed, still disbelieving that Red really won... that the bakery was going to be destroyed. As people continued to file out of the hall, they broke into a rippling pond of quiet. 

Mara was the first to break their triad of silence once everything was still, and she stared up at Tweed. Her expression was apologetic, and she jerked her head to her car. Tweed glanced at the dark-haired boy with a questioning look. Ethan nodded, but he couldn't bring his lips up into a smile. 

He watched as the couple crossed the street to Mara's car, both opening the door and sitting. He turned away from them, but he felt nothing as he walked down the street, down the neighborhood-lined alley, up his driveway, and inside. 

.

.

.

I want to dedicate this chapter to Nicoleontap, for being the best person to ever exist. Remember how I did the drawings and character profiles for the 1K reads special? Well, this crazy gal took it a step further and... well... see for yourself!

Isn't this crazily, insanely awesome! Da Vinci could never. Although, I guess he has some famous painting called 'The Mona Lisa?' Idk, never heard of it lol. 🤔 But in all seriousness, this is the cutest thing ever! Mara's drawing is exactly how I envisioned her! 

Nico Leon writes books as well, guys. Y'all should check out, 'Violet Spectre!' It's about this violinist named 'Bennett.' Nico is still a beginner, so please support her!

So, what did you guys think of the chapter, and more importantly, what did you think of the town hall meeting?! Red has really won, hasn't he? Poor Ethan! Have you ever had your soul crushed like this?

As always, I love you guys, peace!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 564 18
[BoyXBoy] - Not-Quite-16 year old Hayden Davis finds himself seeking shelter in the Arizona desert with his mom after his dad's deportation and the f...
62.9K 3.7K 16
[BXB] Two boys, an ice cream store and a summer to fall in love. ✩✩✩ Outgoing Tanner makes it a mission to befriend his reserved coworker Austin over...
122 13 4
Xander Noir, junior year. He hates his home life. He hates school. People hate him, he's not fond of them either. Really, most things and people don'...
154K 8.5K 24
Ethan, a gay teenage boy, has been single all his life. While his friends' facebook relationship statuses read "In a relationship", his remains a pit...