Wistful Warmth. (After Game...

By TisCrypt

After the killing game ended, Kokichi was free, but with no place to go. After many years of struggling and t... More

~ Before You Read ~
Chapter One: Sweets and Simulations.
Chapter Two: Fateful Flashes.
Chapter Three: Danganronpa Loving Trash.
Chapter Four: Lovely Lies.
Chapter Five: The Kind Liar.
Chapter Six: It's Too Cold.
Chapter Seven: Acceptance and Understanding.
Chapter Eight: Faithful and Foolish.
Chapter Nine: Broken Promises.
Chapter Ten: Fear and Forgiveness.
Chapter Eleven: Love and Despair.
Chapter Twelve: Warmth and Pain.
Chapter Thirteen: Unlikely Love.
Chapter Fifteen: Lies and Disappointments.

Chapter Fourteen: Anger and Worry.

2.8K 90 101
By TisCrypt

---------------------------------

Hello, everyone. I know it's been a very long time since I've updated and I'm very sorry for that. I've been very busy and I it was a bit difficult for me to get back into writing after so long. I had been a bit down as well and also considering making some slight changes and edits to this story in particular. (I made a post about it a while back.)
I may not get chapters out right away, but I will do my best to not let them be years apart anymore. I will finish this story even if I take long breaks in between. Thank you so much to those of you have stuck around during my absence. It means so much. <3 

(Also, getting new glasses soon after around seven years of the same prescription, so maybe writing will be easier on my eyes moving forward!)

__________________________

As I stood in front of the oven, a rather conflicted look settled upon my face.Things were going oh so right for our little group, and yet the better things got the more pressure I felt. Perhaps it was because the amount of things I had to lose continued to grow? Since S/N intended to do some digging around, that meant that we were taking that first dangerous step; that we were unlikely to be protected by our ignorance for much longer.

"Why are we here early again?" My roommate's voice sounded behind me, then I felt a light, gentle tap on my shoulder.

Upon looking behind me, I noticed Kokichi giving me a rather questioning look. He tilted his head to the side, silently eyeing my form.

"I told you that I wanted to talk to S/N before we opened," I replied, a small sigh escaping my lips. "I really want to know if she found anything last night."

"I think she would have told you if she did."

"Yeah, I guess so..." I replied softly, turning back towards the oven.

Just as I was about to complain about S/N not being present, I heard the door to the kitchen swing open rather violently. The door struck the wall, causing pots and pans to clatter. Kokichi and I immediately turned our attention towards the heaving, tired looking girl.

"H-hey, I got here as soon as I could," she said, breathing heavily. She then placed her hands on her hips, taking the time to catch her breath before uttering another word. "So, I'm assuming you wanted to talk about the plan or something, right?"

"Yeah, that's right," I replied. "Did you manage to find anything worthwhile last night?"

"Nope, sorry," she replied bluntly, crossing her arms. "Thing is, it's not easy digging around with Tsumugi there. I discreetly looked around the house a bit, but I didn't find anything useful." A smirk appeared upon her lips. "Thooouuugh, it's not easy to find stuff buried beneath piles of DVDs and manga..." Then, she cringed ever so slightly, a nervous laugh leaving her lips. "I don't even want to talk about the stuff I found..."

"If it disturbs you then it must be pretty bad," Kokichi stated.

"Well, that means you need to wait until she's not home," I replied. "When does she have work?"

"Before she left this morning, she said she would be home by five o'clock," S/N replied.

"Where does she even work now?" Kokichi asked, looking rather curious.

"Well, after Danganronpa ended, she really had no reason to work. She claimed that she needed to keep herself occupied though," S/N replied. "For several years, she changed jobs and tried different things."

"What type of things? Do you know where she's working now?" I asked.

"She never really went into specifics," she replied. "She said that me coming by her work would put me in danger. So, I respected her wishes and stayed out of it." She then averted her gaze, a look of fear upon her face. "I honestly have no idea where she goes every day..."

"That's bad for us," Kokichi replied, narrowing his eyes. "You really didn't think that her actions were strange, or suspect that she was lying to you?"

"Well, before I learned the truth I had no reason to doubt her." Her voice suddenly grew quieter, and her previous energy appeared to have vanished. "I mean, she was a close friend to me..."

"I know Shuichi wanted you to do some digging around the apartment," I replied, a look of concern settling upon my face. "But, is that worth the risk of her catching you? I can't even begin to imagine how she would react..."

"Someone has to distract her," S/N replied abruptly. When her eyes met mine, I took notice of the look of determination that quickly emerged upon her face. "Namely, me."

"How are you going to do that?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"I thought about this a lot last night. I think that if Tsumugi and I go somewhere together, but I give you my key, then you will be able to safely do some investigating," she replied, dangling her apartment key in front of my face. "I'll make sure we have a lot to do and I'll be sure to text you frequently."

"B-but, none of us know the apartment or Tsumugi like you do, S/N. You have a better idea of what to look for and where to look," I protested, a look of fear and frustration forming on my face. "And what if she catches you contacting us or something? I-It's too risky."

"That's true I guess, but I have faith in you," she replied nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders. "I'll be careful. Don't worry about that."

The girl before me smiled, then placed a hand upon my shoulder. I knew that she was attempting to reassure me that things would be fine; attempting to make me give into her plan. Even though she appeared confident, and I trusted her wholeheartedly, I was still afraid of what could happen. Even though things were okay at the moment, I knew that happiness could be ripped away from us in an instant if we weren't careful.

"You know, I'd be willing to go in the place of S/N," Kokichi spoke up, his voice calm and collected. "You need S/N's assistance, and Tsumugi doesn't seem to know my identity, so it should be fine."

My eyes shot towards him, immediately locking with his violet ones. He stared ahead, his gaze never faltering. I looked for the slightest, smallest hint of hesitation or fear, and yet I couldn't find it. Though, he was rather good when it came to putting on an act. Even so, how could he suggest such a thing with such composure? Perhaps it was because he really believed that Tsumugi didn't know his identity and that she couldn't use that against him.

"That's a terrible idea! Her being alone with you?" I protested, clenching my fists as frustration and fear began to consume me. "There's no telling what she would..."

"Huh?" Kokichi asked, narrowing his eyes.

The male appeared rather confused by my reaction. Of course, if I had believed that she didn't know his true identity then I probably wouldn't have reacted quite so intensely. Though, I do believe that I would have still been against him doing such a thing.

"I-I mean, if she finds out your identity while the two of you are alone things could get really bad..." I replied nervously, then shook my head. "That's not a risk I'm willing to take," I muttered. "No way in hell."

"Seriously, I'm fine with doing this. It's the best option," he replied softly, his expression reverting back to its previous calm form. "I'll be fine."

"No, I'm not bending on this," I replied bluntly. "Forget it."

"Then Kokichi and I can both go," S/N replied, her voice strangely cheerful. "Does that sound better?"

"Why would that be better?" I asked, disbelief in my voice.

"Well, if the both of us are together we can keep one another protected. It's two against one," she replied with a smile, raising her index finger. "Also, when one of us contacts you the other can distract her." She looked towards Kokichi for a few seconds, then turned back towards me. "I promise you that I'll keep Kokichi safe."

"Shouldn't I be the one promising to keep you safe?" Kokichi asked.

"Will you do that, Kokichi?" I asked rather bluntly, looking towards the boy.

"Of course," he replied. "I promised you that already." A small, smug smile graced his lips. "Several times, actually."

"Huh? When?" S/N asked abruptly.

"...F-fine," I said, crossing my arms. My eyes darted between the two of them, narrowing ever so slightly. "But, if you two get hurt..."

"We won't," he replied. "You trust us, right?"

"Don't you think I'm capable?" She asked.

"Y-yes," I replied, a small, slightly anxious smile appearing on my face. "I do..."

"So, then you're going to have Shuichi go with you, aren't you?" he asked, shooting me a rather curious look.

"Yeah, that seems like a good idea," I replied, my expression softening. "I know he'd be a lot of help. He's really reliable."

"...Yeah," she muttered. "He is."

"S/N, can we talk for a minute?" I asked the girl, then shifted my gaze towards Kokichi. "You know, alone?"

"You could have just politely asked me to leave," he replied, crossing his arms.

"I just did," I replied, laughing lightly.

"Fine, I'm going," the boy replied, swiftly leaving the area.

"So," I began, my eyes locked on S/N, "remember how I came clean about how I felt about Kokichi?"

"Yeah, but it was already obvious and you didn't want to at first." Her expression was rather smug.

"R-right." I shook my head lightly, trying to remain focused. "Anyway, what's the deal with you and Shuichi?"

"...Shuichi?" She tilted her head to the side, evidently confused.

"Yeah," I replied. "After what happened yesterday, and how you've grown closer to him lately."

"So, you think I have a thing for Shuichi then?"

"Yeah," I replied, eyeing her with curiosity. "Well, do you?"

"You see," she began, nervously rubbing her arm, "...I don't really know."

"Come on, give me a straight answer, S/N," I replied, a hint of impatience in my words.

"I can't," she replied, her eyes meeting the floor. "I feel very... confused about him."

"What does that mean?"

"Is this what having feelings for someone feels like?" She asked in a rather soft, innocent tone, which was rather unusual for her.

"Haven't you felt this before?" I raised an eyebrow. "You liked the in game version of Kokichi, didn't you?"

"Yeah, but this doesn't feel the same," she replied. "It feels... different." She paused for a few seconds, then looked back up at me. Her eyes swirling with something I had never seen from her before. "I feel different."

"What do you mean?"

"I've been wondering how I actually felt about Kokichi and how I currently feel about Shuichi," she replied. "I spent so much time obsessing over Kokichi's character that I never learned what it meant to actually like, or even love, a physical, real person for who they actually are." She let out a somewhat pained laugh. "I don't think I understood it at all back then; I still don't, really."

"I don't think anyone fully understands it," I replied, showing her a kind, soft smile. "What do you like about Shuichi?"

"Well, he's nice and looks for the good in people," she replied, placing a finger to her chin and looking up. "He's confident and is willing to stand up for what he believes in, though he still gets nervous sometimes." She laughed lightly, her eyes still eyeing the ceiling. "Lately, he's actually been a bit more sarcastic and teasing though; which is pretty cute, honestly."

"So, you think he's cute, huh?"

"Shut up!" She spat, her eyes meeting mine once again. "I didn't say he was cute!"

"Yeah, you did," I replied bluntly.

"W-well," she stammered, "y-you think Kokichi is cute!"

"You thought that too!" I retorted.

"Aha! You admitted it!" She yelled, pointing towards me.

"Tch," I muttered, looking away as I realized there was no getting out of this one. "Fine. I-I guess I can't deny that..."

"Aweeeeee!" She beamed.

"A-anyway, as for you and Shuichi," I said, changing the subject. "I think you should just take your time. When the time comes, you'll understand how you feel just like I—"

"Maybe it would be easier if I talked to Shuichi about it soon to see how he feels," she interjected. "I mean, I did criticize you for waiting around..."

"...Are you sure you're ready?" I questioned, tilting my head to the side. "You're not nervous or afraid?"

"Of course I am, but waiting may make things harder in the long run.." Her voice was calm for the most part, but I had a feeling that she was a lot more anxious than she was letting on. "Even though I'm not entirely sure how I feel, I know I feel something for him... Regardless of how he feels, we'll still be friends. He won't abandon our friendship over something like that."

"You believe in him that much, huh?"

"Yeah," she replied with a slight smile. "I believe in all of my friends."

"Damn, you're pretty admirable."

"Yeah," she laughed lightly, a smug expression appearing on her face. "I'm the best."

Even though she said that she thought it would be better, and easier, if she were to just talk things through with him sooner than later, I found myself wondering if she was truly ready, or just trying to not come off as hypocritical. She had always been rather stubborn, so I worried that she was trying to rush things since she had criticized me for not confronting Kokichi with my own feelings. Even though she expressed her usual smug, cheerfulness, I was afraid that she was toning down her frustration, fear, and anxiety for my sake. As much as I wanted to continue our conversation, I knew that romance had to be put on the back burner, for it could wait. We had an upcoming investigation to focus on.

After S/N and I had a little talk, the rest of the work day went by smoothly for the three of us. The day was a bit slow, which none of us really minded, for we were all rather nervous about what was to come.

"Alright, are you two ready to head over to Shuichi's?" I asked, making my way towards the front of the store.

"Shuichi's place...tonight?" S/N asked, concern and confusion lacing her voice.

"Yeah," I replied. "Maki's leaving tonight. Remember?"

"Oohh," she replied, her voice returning to normal. "Yeah, I remember."

"Are you planning on including Maki, Kaito or Keebo in the investigation?" Kokichi asked.

"Not this particular one. We don't need a lot of people for this part. The more people digging around in the apartment, the more traces left behind." My expression became rather serious. "I'm going to ask Shuichi to accompany me in the investigation while we're there." My eyes met S/N's. "As for when that starts, you need to set something up with Tsumugi."

"Right," S/N said with a nod. "I was thinking that you, me, Kokichi and Tsumugi make plans, but you cancel at the last minute because of work. It would probably seem a bit strange to her if I just invited Kokichi."

"Alright, that should work," I replied. "I'll leave the time, date, and place up to you then." I turned my attention towards Kokichi, a bit of discontent upon my face. "Kokichi, are you... really okay with all this?"

"Yeah, I already said I was, didn't I?" He replied nonchalantly.

"Y-yeah, but..." I paused, a small sigh escaping my lips. "I know that it's difficult for you to be around her."

"It's nothing compared to what S/N has endured," he stated, his voice uncomfortably serious. My mouth opened slightly, and my eyes narrowed.

"Hey, don't look so gloomy, guys," S/N frantically waved her hands in front of her as she spoke, causing Kokichi and I to look in her direction. "I'm fine with everything too. In fact, I'm happy because things are getting better everyday."

"...Okay."

After conversing with my roommate and sister, the three of us hastily began making our way towards Maki and Shuichi's apartment. Even though we were all happy that Maki, Kaito, and Shuichi were all on good terms now, I knew S/N would miss having her best friend so close. Regardless, when the three of us made it to the door of their apartment, S/N threw on the best smile she could muster—which might I add wasn't all that convincing this time around.

"So, this is goodbye then," I said, eyeing Maki, Kaito, and Keebo as they stood in front of the apartment door. "Well, sort of."

"It's actually just a goodbye to the apartment," Kaito said with a smile, "So, chin up, guys."

"Yeah," Maki replied. "Like I said, I'll come here as often as Kaito will be willing to drive me."

"I wouldn't say no to someone like her," he said with a laugh, "Unless I had a death wish."

"Makkkii," S/N impatiently shook Maki's arm, "Promise me that you'll have coffee with me every week. Please promise me that things won't change between us!"

"I promise," she spoke calmly with a smile, disregarding the fact that S/N was still shaking her. "You don't have to worry so much. Things won't be that different."

"Promise me you'll still come by the bakery," I said, pulling S/N back without thinking twice.

"I promise," Maki replied.

"Maki, here," Kokichi said, handing her a box of assorted treats. "Well, actually, they're for all three of you." He smiled kindly, yet nervously. His gaze shifted between Maki, Kaito, and Keebo. "As a parting gift. I know, you're not going far, but I still thought I should give you something..."

"Thank you," Maki replied. "I really appreciate it." Her voice was soft, yet kind. "And even though they're still hesitant, they'll come around." She paused for a second, her lips widening slightly. "Like I did."

"Thank you... very much," Keebo said hesitantly.

"Yeah, uh..." Kaito rubbed the back of his head. "Thanks."

After everyone had said their goodbyes, the three of them turned and slowly disappeared down the hallway. Once they were no longer in sight, Shuichi invited Kokichi, S/N, and I inside the apartment. We all took a seat in the kitchen and began discussing our plan.

"Overall, your plan seems fine, but...." Shuichi hesitated slightly. "But, are you sure it's okay for Kokichi to go?"

"Tsumugi doesn't know his identity. I mean, he's grown up a lot since back then and he has his disguise," S/N said, smirking ever so slightly. "He's not a tiny little rat anymore, so he's fine."

"Tch," Kokichi muttered, crossing his arms. "Whatever..."

"If you guys are sure about it," Shuichi replied. "Then I guess I'm on board too."

"Good, I'll set stuff up with Tsumugi," S/N said. "I'll plan a long, fun day for us."

"I trust that both of you will keep her away long enough for ___ and I to search thoroughly," Shuichi said.

"I.... W-we won't disappoint you," S/N replied, seemingly forcing enthusiasm. "I'll text you guys as soon as I have everything planned out with Tsumugi."

Later that night, I finally received a text from S/N. She explained in detail what type of activities she had planned with Tsumugi. It seemed like she had planned plenty of activities to keep the three of them occupied for a while.

After receiving said news, I decided to go ahead and inform Kokichi about it. I knocked on his door firmly, hoping he wasn't already asleep. I waited for a few seconds, and just as I was about to turn away, I heard the male's voice on the other side of the door.

"You can come in," he called.

I opened the door, then quickly took notice of the boy on the bed. He was sitting up slightly, his head propped against the bed frame as he eyed his phone.

"I"m sorry if I disturbed you," I replied, standing inside the doorway.

"No, it's okay. I wasn't asleep yet. I was just trying to distract myself," he replied softly, placing his phone down and turning his attention towards me. "What do you need?"

"I just wanted to let you know that S/N just texted me. She said that she and Tsumugi decided on tomorrow at noon."

"Oh, I see," he replied nonchalantly.

"She managed to convince her to pick a place out of town, so that'll buy us more time."

"That's good." The boy sat up on the bed, stretching his arms. "The best thing I can say about tomorrow is that it probably won't be boring.."

"You're going to have to lie; to throw on a persona again," I said, a hint of regret in my voice.

"It's fine," he replied plainly, now eyeing the ceiling. "It's not like I'm not used to doing that."

"I know, but..."

"It's not a big deal," he began before I could continue,"S/N and I will just be distractions. You and Shuichi have to do the hard work." He sighed softly, his eyes becoming heavier. "...There's no telling what she has hidden."

"We might not even find anything." I crossed my arms, leaning against the door.

"Regardless, the two of you have to be careful about what you touch," he stated as he eyed me again, his tone becoming more serious. "Don't steal anything."

"But, if we find stuff we have to—"

"No way," he cut me off, his voice rather stern and a bit loud. "If she notices that something is missing, then she'll suspect S/N first." He narrowed his eyes, his voice lowering. "You don't want that, do you?"

"N-no." I shifted my gaze downwards. "I don't."

"You bring your camera and take photos or videos of what you find," he said. "For now, we're just assessing the situation and seeing what we have to work with. If we get ahead of ourselves, things will go south rather quickly."

"...You're right," I replied softly, lifting my head. "A-anyway, you and I will head to the bakery in the morning just like usual. Later, S/N and Tsumugi will come to pick you up. Once the three of you head off, I'll close down the bakery and Shuichi and I will get to work." My gaze met his. "Does that work?"

"Yeah, but..." he paused for a few seconds. "I still think that S/N should be a part of the search." The boy sighed. "...Because she knows a lot more than we do..."

"You sound unsure about the plan now."

"N-no, I am," he refuted rather quickly. "Sorry. I'm just overthinking things. Everything will work out just fine with this plan." A smile graced his lips, but I found it rather unconvincing. "So, you should try to get some sleep, alright? I'm about ready to turn in, so..."

"Okay. Good night," I spoke softly, leaving the room without another word.

The next day went by rather slowly. I found myself eyeing the clock on my phone several times throughout the day, finding it rather difficult to focus on anything other than the evening to come. Once it was finally evening time, I found my eyes fully glued to the clock on my phone, even more impatient than I was before.

"Hey, I think S/N and Tsumugi are here now," he said as he placed a hand on my shoulder, shaking me slightly. "You didn't even hear them knock, did you?"

"Oh, I guess I was a bit distracted," I said with a sigh, "I trust you, but please... please be careful."

"I promise I will. Try not to worry, too much, okay?" He replied. "You and Shuichi be careful too."

"We will. I promise."

After a quick breath, the both of us threw on a smile and prepared ourselves for what was to come. The both of us made our way towards the front door side by side. I reached to open the door, and to no one's surprise we were both immediately greeted by Tsumugi's sickening enthusiasm from the other side.

"Hi, ___!" Tsumugi beamed. "It's been a while since we've all been together, hasn't it?"

"It sure has," I replied, faking a smile. "I hope you've been well."

"I have. I do hope Chikara has learned to appreciate you more. You know, since he seemed to think of you as nothing more than an annoying roommate before." She shot Chikara a smug smile, then turned her attention towards me. "It's a real shame that you won't be joining the three of us." She feigned sorrow, for a split second, then laughed again. "But then again, maybe it's for the best if that's how he really feels."

"...We've been just fine." My eyes shifted towards Kokichi as I spoke, noticing the rather disgusted look that had appeared on his face. "...Right, Chikara?"

"Yeah, whatever," He began bluntly, but then continued more lively, "Hey, Tsumugi, are you and S/N ready to go? I'm soooo excited for a night out."

"Whenever you are," she replied. "I'm sure we'll have a wonderful time. Right, S/N?"

"Of course we will, but I really wish ___ could have joined us," she finally spoke up, trying her best to feign enthusiasm as she grabbed my hands. "I'll just have to have enough fun for the both of us."

When she grabbed my hands, I felt something cold and smooth—the apartment key. I took the key from her hands before retracting my own. Luckily, Tsumugi didn't seem to notice the exchange.

"...Right," I spoke, struggling to sound optimistic as well. "Thanks, S/N. The three of you... have a safe trip, alright?"

After the three of them disappeared from sight, I struggled to stay on my feet. On one hand, I felt relief that I no longer had to pretend in front of Tsumugi, but on the other I felt intense fear for the safety of those I held dear. I began to feel more uneasy by the second, until my knees finally hit the floor.

"___?" I heard a familiar male voice enter my ears. "What are you doing down there?"

"..." I remained silent, trying desperately to pull myself together before responding.

"Are you feeling okay?" The male asked. "I came just like you asked."

"Oh, Shuichi..." As I lifted my head, I took notice of the male's extended hand. I accepted it, and he quickly pulled me to my feet. "I'm sorry, I was just thinking."

"Let's try not to worry too much," he said. "S/N and Kokichi are more than capable. They're counting on us to do our part."

"I know that, but..." I shook my head. "Yeah, you're right. I guess we shouldn't waste any more time then." I then held out the key to him, forcing a smile. "Let's do this."

After following the directions S/N had given me, we entered what appeared to be their complex and began looking for the number she had given me; 203. On one hand, it was a bit inconvenient that we had to travel to another building, but on the other hand it was pretty great not living in the same vicinity as Tsumugi.

"This looks to be the place," I said, "It says 203."

"This is it," he replied, pulling the key from his pocket. "Let's not waste any time."

When the two of us entered the apartment, I immediately found the light switch and flicked it. When the lights came on, what I found the most surprising was how normal the place looked. It looked like it was owned by your average adult female; nice furniture, flower paintings, white walls, and so on.

"It doesn't look like a villain's lair," I stated, my eyes darting around the room.

"Looks can be deceiving," he simply stated, stepping inside.

"...S/N," I mumbled to myself as I bit down on my lip, "I'm so sorry."

I stepped behind Shuichi and the two of us began looking around the living room. There were tons of boxes and drawers to look through, so we had our work cut out for us. As I was looking through a drawer full of what appeared to be average junk, I was disrupted by Shuichi's voice.

"___, I found something," Shuichi called. "Look."

I walked over to the male, noticing him on his knees next to a large box. I looked down in the box, noticing several black tapes placed neatly inside. Shuichi reached his hand inside, moving them around.

"They're tapes?"

"Look, they're labeled..." He picked one of the tapes up and pointed towards the name on the label. "Nagito Komaeda—one of the most popular participants from a long time ago..." He sighed.

"W-wait," I paused for a second, moving to sit next to Shuichi. "Now that I think about it, the game really has been around a really long time, hasn't it?"

"There were fifty three killing games in total."

"Fifty three games...and so many participants..." Sorrow filled my voice as I realized that there were may more involved than I had known. "...What happened to all of the participants?"

"___, focus on the present," he replied. "We have to move forward for them all."

"Y-you're right," I said. "But, do you think there are more tapes?"

"If there is a tape for every participant, undoubtedly. If that's the case, this is only a fraction of them."

"I see several tapes from the final game...and plenty I don't recognize," I said. "Kokichi, you, and so many others... They don't seem to be in any particular order."

"W-wait..." Shuichi's eyes widened as he quickly pulled one of the tapes from the box, looking carefully at the label. "S/N?"

"I remember that she auditioned back then," I said, sounding less surprised than Shuichi. "Though, I never expected to see it."

"Do you want to watch any of these before we continue?"

"L-lets watch S/N's... I feel like I need to see it."

"I'm curious about it too," he replied softly. "What about Kokichi's?"

"N-no," I stuttered out. "I already know about it, so..."

"So, he shared it with you?" Shuichi questioned, a small smile on his lips. "He must really trust you then." His face then fell, and he averted his gaze. "Assuming that his was as personal and embarrassing as mine..."

"Embarrassing?" I tilted my head, suddenly feeling curious about his tape.

"Forget I said that," he replied quickly. "Let's just watch this already. We don't have time to waste."

Hastily, the male turned on the TV and inserted the tape into the VCR. The both of us took a seat on the sofa, focusing on the screen as the video began.

-

"Hey! I'm so damn excited to be auditioning for this!" A younger S/N exclaimed, a smile on her face as she peered up at the camera.

"Oh, uhh... excuse me. This is supposed to be professional, huh?" S/N let out a nervous laugh. "Even though you know me already.."

She fell silent for a few seconds, then continued louder than before.

Well, you already know I'm a great pick for Danganronpa. I mean, one thing I'm not is a quitter; I'm pretty determined. I think that someone like me has potential to make it to the end; potential to win the killing game."

The girl stepped forward, pointing towards the camera. Even though she displayed what appeared to be confidence, her voice sounded a bit nervous.

"If you pick me, I guarantee that people will be on the edge of their seat each and every time I'm on screen."

-

After that, the tape stopped and the screen became black. Shuichi rose from the couch and removed the tape from the VCR. I remained on the couch, staring ahead quietly.

"She had no idea...just like all of us," My eyes narrowed, sadness enveloping my face. "I'm just so thankful she didn't..."

"I am too," he replied. "Though, I don't understand why she wasn't picked. S/N claimed that she was a close friend of Tsumugi; they even live together now. She seems like an obvious choice."

"It's strange, that's for sure." I placed a chin to my finger as I pondered why. "Maybe we'll find that out at some point."

"Maybe."

Suddenly, the door swung open with force, causing my heart to nearly jump out of my chest. I looked ahead noticing that the person that had just entered wasn't Tsumugi coming to ruin our plan—it was my sister. Shuichi stumbled backwards, seemingly too shocked to speak.

"S-S/N... why are y—"

"Before you ask, Kokichi is still with Tsumugi and he's absolutely fine," she replied swiftly, cutting me off.

"Why aren't you with them? It's not safe for him to be alone with her!" I spat. "H-he—"

"He's fine... He convinced me to come back here to help you guys," she interjected again. "Anywaaay, he promised me that he would be okay without me. He promised you that things would go without a hitch."

"B-but why would he..." I failed to finish my sentence as my mind began to spin. "...why the hell?"

"Look, I wasn't completely honest about what I knew. I didn't want you guys to find everything..." She spoke quietly, regret evident in her tone. Shuichi and I eyed her silently, still in shock as she continued to speak. "Kokichi noticed that something was up with me, so when Tsumugi stepped away from us he managed to pull it out of me..." She shook her head lightly, then pulled a key out of her pocket. "A-anyway, you guys need this!"

"What is this?" I asked, taking the key from her hand.

"Just what is it that you didn't want us to find?" Shuichi questioned, causing her to look down.

"The address to that old building you were all taken to," she replied. "And similar information.."

"I can understand why you wouldn't want to lead us to such a place, but..." I placed my hand on her shoulder, causing her eyes to meet mine. "Keeping something like this from us wasn't the right thing to do. This seems really important."

"I-I know," she shook her head in frustration. "I'm so...sorry."

"Please tell me you made a good excuse for leaving," I said, my patience deteriorating. "Please tell me that you kept things hidden from her."

"Everything is fine, I promise," she replied. "I was careful; we were careful. I even went through the trouble of faking being sick. It was pretty gross. Do you want to know what I—"

"It doesn't matter! We can't just leave Kokichi with Tsumugi," I spat, immediately taking a step towards the door. "You two finish up here and I'll—"

"Wait, ___," Shuichi said, grabbing my shoulder. "If you go after them, then she will notice that something is up."

"No!"

"He will be fine. He promised S/N that he would," he said, giving me a small, reassuring smile. "He promised you that he would. He trusts you. Don't you trust him?"

"Of course I do..." I spoke softly. "I just..."

"Come on. We don't have time to waste. This may be the only chance we have and we cannot afford to waste it." Shuichi turned his attention towards my sister. "Show us where to use this key."

"A-alright," the girl stuttered out.

S/N ended up leading us to a box hidden underneath the sink. With the key, Shuichi swiftly opened the box, revealing addresses and keys.

"This may be useful to us," Shuichi said, placing a finger to his chin in thought. "We can take photos of the addresses and such, but the keys are a different story."

"Just take the keys..." she said.

"And what if she realizes they're gone before we're able to return them?" I asked.

"She won't," she stated.

"How can you be so sure??" I questioned, feeling a bit frustrated.

"It's likely that she won't," Shuichi replied calmly, pointing towards the box. "It's dusty. I don't think she's opened it in years."

"But there is the possibility that she might," I said.

"I hate to say it, but..." Shuichi paused, for a second, taking a deep breath before continuing, "We have no choice but to take that risk."

"Fine," I muttered.

After gathering the keys, taking photos of the papers, and scouring the apartment, we didn't find anything else that was noteworthy. Everything else was just junk or nothing out of the ordinary. Even though we had found seemingly important things like addresses and keys thanks to S/N, I was a bit disappointed that we didn't find more within the apartment—our next lead would be to go to that place.

"S/N," Shuichi asked.

"...Y-yes?" S/N turned towards him.

"Can you give me the key to your room?" He tilted his head to the side, putting out his hand and waiting.

"Why do you need that?" she questioned.

"It's the only place we haven't looked yet," he said.

"N-no way, you perv!" She exclaimed. "There's things in there you don't need to see!"

"...P-perv?" He stuttered out, his coolness fading rather quickly.

"Don't tell me you refuse to do your laundry here too," I sighed, still frustrated. "You're leaving chips bags all over this place too, I bet.."

"N-no!" She stuttered out. "Well... maybe a bra or two...but no chip bags...just a few soda cans..."

"N-nevermind that stuff," Shuichi said, regaining control. "Regardless of what you have lying around, there could be valuable information in there."

"There's no need to. I already checked everything thoroughly. That's why it's more of a mess than usual," she replied. "I knew I wasn't hiding anything in there, but I knew there was a possibility that Tsumugi had something stashed in there before I moved in. I didn't find anything though..."

"Fine. If you say so, then I have no choice but to take your word for it," the male replied bluntly. "If there isn't anything else, then we should get going sooner than later. We have good leads now thanks to you."

"Y-yeah," she replied.

After the investigation, I returned S/N's apartment key just before saying goodbye. I felt bad that she had to stay behind with Tsumugi, but at the moment there wasn't anything we could do—she had no choice but to endure it for a little longer. Though, with the information she had provided us with, we were one step closer to getting her away from Tsumugi for good.

"So, uhhh..." I began, a bit hesitant. "How do you feel about S/N? I-I'm just a bit curious..."

"I feel like there's something she's hiding," Shuichi stated seriously, his eyes remaining on the path ahead.

"What?"

"I trust that she wants the best for us, but we know that she did hide at least one thing from us," he replied, his attention remaining on the sidewalk ahead. "And she was acting strange tonight. I might be overthinking things though."

"...Oh," I muttered.

"Even if she is hiding something, it's probably because she's scared," he said, stopping in his tracks and meeting my gaze. "She didn't want us to find that address because she was afraid."

"Y-yeah, you're right.."

After that, the both of us fell silent. Shuichi remained by my side the way back and accompanied me as I made my way towards my apartment. Just as I was about to head inside, the male finally spoke up.

"Are you going to be okay by yourself?" He questioned, sounding rather concerned. "I can stay here until he gets back."

"I will be fine," I spoke quietly, looking down. "Besides, we need to stay away from each other in case Tsumugi accompanies him or something goes wrong... It's not safe for you."

"Look, I know you're worried," he replied. "You don't have to—"

"Did you not just hear what I said? I'm fine," I said, coming off harsher than I intended.

"Oh, I see," he replied softly. "If you need anything, just let me know, okay?" After that, he began walking away. "I'll see you later."

I had heard the frustration within my own words and I regretted it. I was so desperate to just sound normal and neutral, but I failed miserably. I didn't want to break, or take out my frustration on my friend before me, that's why I just wanted him to leave me be. He knew that I was upset and was willing to be there for me. However, he was wasting his time worrying about me. Kokichi was the one in actual danger—S/N too.

I lazily entered my apartment and took a seat on the couch. I stared at the front door, barely blinking at all. A mix of worry and anger began rising within my stomach as I awaited my roommate's safe return. He had done something very reckless, but if he hadn't done it we might not have gotten our hands on the addresses and keys.

After sitting there and pondering for a while, I heard a knock at the door. Without hesitation, I shot up from my seat and darted towards the door, my heart pounding. When I opened it, the person I wanted to see most was before me. Kokichi stood in the doorway unharmed, a somewhat nervous look upon his face as his eyes met mine. In that moment, I had the urge to slap him for being too reckless, but also to hug him for returning home safely. Instead, I simply tilted my head to the side and narrowed my eyes as I stared silently at his face.

"Um..." he began, "So, are you going to yell at me or...?"

"If it weren't for you convincing S/N, we wouldn't have gotten any leads..." I replied, shifting my gaze away from him.

I closed the door behind Kokichi, then silently began making my way towards the kitchen. I could hear the male following behind me. I bit down on my lip, then made my way over to the cabinet. I could feel his eyes on me as I slowly reached into the cabinet, grabbing a mug from the top shelf.

"___..."

As soon as I heard his voice, my hand shook and I dropped the mug. The mug shattered across the kitchen floor. Without a word, I silently bent down to pick up the pieces, trying to ignore his unfaltering gaze.

"Careful," he spoke softly as he bent down beside me.

Suddenly, I looked up and our eyes finally met. When he noticed my face, his eyes widened. He had undoubtedly seen the teary eyes I was attempting to hide.

"Are you...crying?" He asked softly. "What's wrong?"

I shifted my gaze back downwards, ignoring his question. I then continued to gather the pieces of glass before discarding them in the trash. Once I was finished I walked back over to him, noticing the concerned expression upon his face. Instead of yelling at him, telling him how worried I was, or saying anything at all, I simply wrapped my arms around him rather tightly. Without hesitation, he did the same... except I was practically crushing his lungs from holding on too tightly.

"O-oh... you are upset with me," he spoke, barely able to breathe. "I-I'm sorry I worried y-you..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168 5 1
Stuck in a killing game... How utterly cruel. (Y/N) dies in the real world, hoping to escape the judgment others have placed upon her. Only to awaken...
173K 5.4K 70
โ”โ”โ” ็œŸๅฎŸ " Your eyes speak the truth when everything else is a lie. " Seventeen students were trapped and forced to play a killing game by a black and...
50.6K 1.7K 23
- ๐—ง๐—ข๐—ซ๐—ข๐—ฃ๐—›๐—œ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—ง๐—˜: ๐—ธ. ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ || REWRITTEN || THE REWRITE IS MUCH BETTER AND IS FARTHER IN COMPLETION. please go find the rewrite ins...
90.9K 2.1K 15
"I might not see you, but I think you're a wonderful person." -โ€ข-โ€ข-โ€ข- This story is set before the killing game. Also, the first story is going to be...