The Warrior's Gambit (Zutara)

By FrostedGemstones

Months ago, Katara arrived at the Royal Palace to save her tribe and to win the heart of the famed Prince Zuk... More

i
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXVIX
XXX
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV

XXXI

5.1K 203 577
By FrostedGemstones

Zuko had not slept at all, not since the night before the tournament. He was starting to see things; shadows skirting on the edges of the halls, fuzzies when he glanced up, ghosts lurking. He was starting to hear things too, or maybe it was just the reverberations of his own endless thoughts coming back for him.

As it was, he doubted anyone would blame him for taking a nap. He'd been handed a bad set of events in the last few days, more than any single person should reasonably have to deal with.

And perhaps he should go to bed. His father was now scrutinizing his every move. He'd fucked up in Ozai's eyes. Or, others around Zuko had royally made a mess. Ty Lee: Airbender. Kuzon/Aang: avatar. Sokka: traitor. Toph: traitor. Iroh: traitor. And despite none of these things being anything Zuko could control, there were whispers about how so many people he was close to were found to be such 'villainous' people. Therefore, he was sure his father was looking for the chance to seize Zuko and throw him in jail too.

Zuko was not sure Ozai bought the claim that Zuko had no idea about any of the things that had been going on in the palace. Well, okay, he'd known about Aang, but that was honestly where his knowledge ended! He'd guessed about Sokka and Toph, but that had also not been his issue, or so he'd thought.

Maybe if he did sleep, his father would be more inclined to believe him. That was some real political manipulation he was now considering. If he slept, it would show that he was a-okay and not anxious at all. He could say he wasn't going to lose a wink over it all because he was confident that Ozai would be able to find no issue with his son.

And perhaps that would have been a good ploy...had he any ability to sleep at all right now.

There had been a moment, a few nights ago, where he'd been inches from falling asleep. His head had hit the pillow, he'd been able to cast out the worry for Aang and Ty Lee, knowing he'd be no good to them half-asleep, able to think that his Uncle would not be angry for him trying to get even just a few moments of shut-eye...and then there had been a knock on his door.

He grumbled, mumbling something like 'It can wait', but the knocking was insistent. Frantic.

He'd shot up, grasping blindly for his robe, praying it wasn't Aang or Katara. The sound of the knocking was louder and more erratic, but out of all the things behind his door, Mai standing there with a pale face was most unexpected.

"Prince Zuko, I'm-" She broke off, trying to regain her usual stony facade, but something had her looking so upset. "I'm sorry to bother you this late."

"Oh, it's uh..." He was about to say 'no trouble', but despite the fact that he did care about Mai enough to be concerned, he would honestly rather be sleeping. "What's wrong?"

"I..." She was shaking and grasped for his hands. "I don't know how to tell you this...I'm sure you'll be upset, but it's not fair to you..." She was more unraveled than usual, though the fight between Azula and Ty Lee and such revelations on both sides must have rattled her enough to make her show emotion. Even though she delivered her words with a touch of monotony, it was far more feeling than he was used to.

"Mai, what is it?"

"It's Lady Bei Fong, my Prince," she said evenly, "I know you and she are..." She licked her lips. "You care for her."

"Of course I do," Zuko replied. Yes, it was in a sisterly way, in the sort of way he'd never really felt toward Azula, but of course, Mai was not privy to such information. "What's wrong?" Why wouldn't Katara be coming for him if something was truly wrong with Toph, he wondered in a panic.

Mai nodded evenly, as though digesting the confirmation with a hint of hurt, but this only made her frown deepen. "Prince-"

"You can call me Zuko. We've known each other long enough."

"Toph is unfaithful."

"What?" he asked, startling back. Mai inhaled hard, taking his shocked tone for the betrayal of his feelings, but in all honesty, Zuko was surprised Toph had romantic affections for anyone.

"It's Prince Sokka, your highness!" Mai continued, staring at Zuko, rubbing his hand. "I just found them in the library and they were..." She gulped. "They were entirely focused on each other. There's no mistaking it. And I just didn't know what to do or who to tell," she continued. "I'm so sorry, Zuko," she said, truly sincere.

Oh, spirits, Zuko realized with growing horror. She must think that he was torn up, that Toph had all but broken his heart. She was looking at him with such an expression and had the circumstances been different, it would have been endearing. She was so worried about his feelings, of how this would shatter him. She wasn't tattling on Toph hoping to get her thrown out, she was doing it because she thought it was unfair for Zuko not to know this, to be led on.

At that moment, Zuko naively believed he could fix this before it became a bigger deal than it was. Get Toph out quickly, maybe. Make up some story. He could-

"What's going on?" Ozai asked, exiting his chamber, still wearing his clothes from the tournament. Ursa followed after, staring between Mai and Zuko with mild surprise.

"I'm so sorry, my Lord," Mai bowed deeply, "For intruding into the Royal Family's personal quarters at this hour, but I...I needed to speak to Prince Zuko."

"Yes, and we have," Zuko said, trying to sound chipper, hoping to distract from Mai's face and mournful tone. He knew that, on some level, she'd admired Toph and her fighting ability. It had slipped out on one of their dates, though she'd never admit it again. Maybe she was affected by this realization – and the thought of another contestant leaving – more than he'd assumed. "I will, uhm, go and look into this Mai, right now."

He tried to spin on his heels, ready to go and find Toph and yell, in between throwing her suitcase at her, while sending her quietly from the premises. Mai followed, with no intention of telling his father until Ozai's voice paused them.

"Lady Mai, what did you come to tell my son?"

Zuko and Mai both turned. Mai's face was back to impassive. She'd managed to pull herself together, but it was too late. Perhaps Ozai had seen her expression previously. Perhaps he'd heard the waver in Zuko's voice. Perhaps he didn't trust Zuko at all.

"Well..." Mai looked to Zuko, wondering if she should. He wondered if he asked her to lie, would she? She was far more on his side than his father's. There was no time for furtive conversations, no time to plan. And even still, he was not sure he could ask that of her, or that his father wouldn't find out the truth anyway. He gave a grim nod.

"I was worried about, uh, a contestant." Mai still tried to veer away from the truth. "And Prince Zuko said he'd take care of it."

"Oh, of what nature?"

"They were...locked in an embrace. Not Prince Zuko and this, erm, lady, but another man," Mai said tentatively.

"Who?" Ozai's voice was deadly sharp. Zuko felt like screaming. He had lost it. If only he'd ushered Mai out quicker. If only he'd asked Mai to speak in his room, or outside the Royal bedrooms. If only he'd taken a thousand choices that wouldn't lead them here, to this second where he knew Toph's fate was going to be something unspeakable.

"Lady Bei Fong and Prince Sokka, Fire Lord Ozai," Mai said quietly, eyes down, shivering at Ozai's murderous stare. She sent a look to Zuko, a flicker of her eyes sideways.

Zuko closed his eyes, wishing he could send himself back a day previous, and be anywhere but here.

And, days later with still no sleep, he was still thinking that.

It was in moments like this that he felt how raggedly the lack of slumber was edging on him. He wanted to curl up in his room and cry or scream. He was losing his brother, Aang, and one of his dearest friends Ty Lee. Iroh and Toph were to be killed. Sokka may never speak to him again, nor would Katara or Suki or Besu or any other girl who would be able to so easily see that this was wrong.

Everything was slipping through his fingers.

He knew he was not allowed near his Uncle at all, but he could not bear the thought of never getting to hug him one last time, or even try to. His execution, along with Toph's, was set to occur in an hour.

Zuko wanted to puke.

He'd managed to bribe a guard to let him know when Iroh was being taken to the arena, which was now slated to be a site of death. He lingered in the halls until he heard the four guards coming through and the sounds of his Uncle's chains. Sure, Iroh could easily take them down, but where would he go? They were taking him through narrow halls with little access and he'd maybe get a couple of seconds before more guards would be called and it would all be over.

"-try that new place down in the middle ring?" one guard asked another.

"Yeah, but it was too spicy for me," a second said, "My date liked it though. Was 'kay, I guess."

"Oh, c'mon, that place is fantastic. Their noodle dish is perfect!"

Zuko wanted to punch them; they were bringing General Iroh to his death and they were talking about food? Though, perhaps it was just another day in the palace for them...

He slid into the small hallway. Two guards walked in front of Iroh and two walked behind, boxing him in. He looked up at Zuko's footsteps, and there was a sense of relief like he'd expected Zuko to be there. Then, he tilted his head, as though confused once he took a second to see who it really was.

Zuko was entirely distracted by the person behind Iroh, however. It was Aiga; carrying Iroh's Fire Nation garb that his father wanted him beheaded in. It was meant to make a statement.

"What...what's she doing here?" Zuko asked, wondering why they'd pulled her away from Katara for this.

"Huh? Well, I'm not gonna carry his stuff. It's heavy," one of the guards snorted, though that wasn't the question Zuko had exactly meant.

"No, I mean, why...her?"

"Wasn't doing much in the kitchens. Figured this was a better use of her time," the third guard said flippantly. Zuko tilted his head. He knew that many guards looked down on maids, trying to feel superior in some way, even though they were treated just as unjustly in many matters, but were they so haughty that they didn't know the difference between a handmaid and a kitchen maid?

"But she's not-"

Aiga caught his eyes. She gave a sharp shake of her head. Stop asking questions, she mouthed to him, leaving him more mystified.

His Uncle made no motion at all. He seemed purposely like he was not meeting Zuko's gaze, but rather something beyond Zuko.

"With all due respect, I'm not sure you're supposed to be here, Prince Zuko," one of the guards said apologetically, moving closer to Iroh, as though they expected Zuko to try to fight him out.

"I just...can't I even have a second with him?" Zuko sounded like a child, he knew. He was sure that this look was unbecoming for a Prince, but he was out of options.

The guard looked at Zuko with sympathy. "Your father's orders. You know that. He trumps your wishes."

Zuko exhaled, trying to keep himself together. He was not about to admit defeat, but at the same time, Iroh wasn't even looking at him. He felt alone, more so than ever.

He turned, telling himself to take a moment to compose himself, but unfortunately ran smack-dab into a kitchen maid, an actual kitchen maid. She'd been so quiet on her feet that he hadn't even heard her coming around the corner.

The clang as the pots hit the floor was a cacophony. Zuko yelped as hot soup poured over him and the floor, splattering all over his clothes, the walls, and the guards. The soup was scalding hot, and the guards exclaimed out too, jumping around as they patted the liquid as though they were patting out a fire. One of the guards slipped, almost comically, and hit a side-table, knocking a vase from it.

The fourth guard jumped to catch it before it hit the floor, knowing that this vase was worth more than all their salaries together. One of the handles cracked off, which had the fourth guard cussing at the second guard.

As they picked themselves up, groaning, and as Zuko carefully eased himself to stand, using the wall as a guide, there was a beat of silence.

Iroh and Aiga were...gone.

"Where'd the prisoner go?" one of the guards demanded.

"I don't...I don't know!" the third blubbered, still rubbing soup from his face, holding the chains in horror.

"Well, he didn't just vanish into thin air!" the first guard snarled, spinning around. Despite his declaration, it seemed that's exactly what they'd done. One moment they were standing there...the next, they were simply...missing.

"Did you plan this?" a guard demand of Zuko.

"You think I'm what, a magician? That I snapped my fingers and sent him away? Are you crazy?" Zuko was past his point of being reasonable. Despite how glad he was, or assumed he should be, he was sure he was really hallucinating right now. If the four guards were not equally as stupefied, Zuko would say he had tipped over the line of sanity.

"You!" The second guard pointed to the kitchen maid, who was trying to gather the dented metal pots back onto her serving tray. She was blubbering in the background, horrified at her blunder (which honestly had been mostly Zuko's fault).

The second guard stalked up to her and slapped her hard across the face, so hard that the sound echoed and she hit the floor. "You just aided a prisoner! You'll hang for this!"

"Hey!" Zuko yelled, wrenching the guard's arm back so that it cracked a bit. Good! "You are not allowed to talk to her like that!" he snarled, "And you are certainly not allowed to touch her."

"She just made us lose the biggest traitor, second to the Avatar!" the guard spat, "And you're saying we should be merciful? She should be glad her brain isn't scattered on the ground right now!"

"Oh? And you think my father will really believe it was a kitchen maid who allowed him to escape, a tiny little thing compared to, oh, I don't know, the four guards who were supposed to be taking him to the arena?" Zuko pointed out, "This seems more like a 'you' problem. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time! I think you're deflecting."

The second guard sneered at her, moving backward and rubbing his shoulder blade, but his face was pale. The faces of each guard seemed to be some unhealthy shade right now; whether it be red in the face, white as a ghost, purple as though he hadn't taken a breath since realizing Iroh was missing, or close to a green hue.

"We...we...he just disappeared! You can tell your father that, right? Verify it." Guard three seemed like he was about shit himself, looking at the empty spot where Iroh was supposed to be.

"I don't know what I saw!" That was the honest truth. "And even if I did, I doubt my father would believe me."

Zuko turned to the maid who was still on the ground. She was touching her cheek, which was bright red and bleeding a little from hitting the floor with such force.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked gingerly. He didn't know as well as he knew all the handmaids, but he recognized her.

The maid looked up, at the guard he thought for a second, but then he realized it was even past their view. It seemed she was staring, just for a moment, at the wall, gaze unfocused. Zuko winced; maybe that guard had knocked a screw loose in her brain.

"Yes," she said with a soft smile, "I'm perfectly fine."

XXxx

Katara felt as though she was reeling; how had she completely missed it? Seeing the two of them in the guards' hold, she could tell that this was no spring romance between her brother and her friend, this was something deep. She'd been too shocked to realize it, but as she sat in her bedroom, refusing to come out, mourning what she felt was an inevitable loss of her handmaid and of Toph, she recalled how tenderly Sokka had looked at the earthbender.

Her brother in love, that in itself was a strange idea. But what was stranger? The way Toph had turned her head, looking back at him. Just a brief moment, something quietly passed between the two.

And in that moment, she knew that as unbelievable as it seemed, Toph was in love too.

You had to be truly besotted to do something so reckless.

She was going to pay with her life and for what? For a few quick kisses in the halls? For sweet nothings under the cover of night? For longing looks across a ballroom?

Perhaps Katara did not understand the depth of their love. On some level, she was shocked she had been so blind.

As she looked back, it was all so clear on both sides. How Toph had been so excited that Sokka was coming – spirits, were they already in the process of falling for each other far back then? Or how Sokka was always grumpy whenever Toph was gone.

She cried, even after she was sure she had no more tears because she wished it was different. She wanted them to have their life, their love. She wanted Mai to fall off a cliff, Zuko to pardon them both, and everything to be fine. She wanted to be at their wedding and tease her brother and by spirits, tease Toph too.

She wanted to let them grow old or grow apart, but great Tui, she wished they had that chance.

And she did not want Sokka to have to grow with the guilt about how it turned out. She knew it would fester and creep upon him. She knew he'd always blame himself.

She knew that this sort of agony would eat away at him on the inside.

Zuko had saved Sokka's life, sure, but at what cost? With what sort of aftermath?

All of Katara's worries seemed so insignificant now. To imagine her own romance with Zuko at all seemed wrong and out of focus. She couldn't even think of that right now, all she could do was wish she could comfort her brother and try to fix things.

Not everything could be fixed, but she would try and try and try until the universe proved her wrong.

But she didn't know how to mend this break, or bring people back from the dead, or save Aang and Ty Lee. She felt sick to her stomach, and even though she'd only had some plain rice, it threatened to rise back up.

She didn't know how many friends she'd still have when the next morning came.

There was a knock at her door. She sprung up, hoping to see Aiga.

"Yes?" She answered it breathlessly.

"Katara."

"Zuko-" Katara felt her eyes water as she looked at him, her throat closing up, "I..."

What did she say to him? Thank you for saving my brother but condemning Toph? I'm sorry about Iroh? Aang is in deep shit now, isn't he? There were so many threads, so many little issues that all were tangled in one knot, impossible to pick up just one.

Zuko had a reason to be here; this was not merely a procedural visit.

"Is Aiga with you?"

"No, uhm," Katara frowned, letting him move into her room. Rather, he plowed right by her. "She's..." She was trying to figure out how to tell Zuko that she was scared of what Aiga may do next.

"Do you know where she is?" Zuko seemed pale.

"Zuko, what's going on?" Katara asked, reaching out for him. She felt his forehead. "You're burning up! You look half-way to death."

"I think I'm hallucinating..." He mumbled with a raw laugh, "Katara, I'm going crazy."

"When was the last time you slept?" Katara asked. For as awful as a time as she was going through – and yes she may have him beat just slightly – his life was also thrown into chaos. Katara could shut herself in her room and catch a few hours of rest. Zuko, however, she imagined could not.

Before Zuko could answer or elaborate why he thought he was going mad, there was a cough at Katara's door. She turned to see Lu Ten there. Was the entire Royal Family going to come into her bedchamber this evening? she wondered with a snort.

Lu Ten looked at Zuko, no surprise to see him present, then his eyes floated to Katara. There was a shared moment, something hard to describe, but it felt like a split acknowledgment. Katara, staring at Lu Ten and trying to summon the words to say that she was in agony that his father was going to die, and Lu Ten giving her a feeling that he understood her ever-switching relief and pain at the outcomes of Sokka and Toph. It was quick; hardly a second, but that interaction between the pair made Katara feel closer to Lu Ten, like another older brother, instead of merely Zuko's cousin in this competition. She doubted she'd get a quarter of the depth of those feelings from Azula if they passed each other in the halls now.

"Oh, good, you're both together," Lu Ten said with a nod. Zuko exhaled and all his words came spilling out in one breath.

"Lu, Iroh's-"

"I know," Lu Ten said, cutting him off. "Quite the mysterious happening, isn't it?"

"Wait, I thought...I thought he was supposed to be executed today. I thought maybe that's why you were here, to gather us for the...uhm, when it's happening." Katara cut in, shaking her head out. It seemed impossible to keep up with all that was happening. She turned to Zuko and it seemed he meant to tell her, but things were already moving again, and at a quick pace.

"Considering he's missing, his execution has been momentarily pushed back. Rather hard to punish someone for treason when you don't have them around. Toph's is still set for a few hours from now."

"What?" Katara choked out.

"He vanished in front of my eyes, Katara," Zuko said from behind and she spun, noticing how wide-eyed he seemed. "Just...poof." He made a little motion with his hands and laughed a bit.

Okay, yep, Zuko was definitely insane.

She looked back to Lu Ten imploringly, hopefully, willing Zuko's cousin to step in. She had a feeling if Zuko laid down anywhere at this point, he'd fall asleep.

"Are you two busy?" he asked instead.

"I was going to try to see Toph before-"

"Let me rephrase," Lu Ten said with a wry smile, "You two need to come with me."

"Okay?" It wasn't exactly as though Katara could say no. She sent a questioning look at Zuko, but she wasn't sure he saw it. His eyes looked a bit hazy, a bit like he was sleeping with his eyes open while standing.

Lu Ten led them through a maze in the Palace. And Katara meant that literally; yes, the layout of the Royal Palace took a day to get used to, but she'd gotten used to it. Now, though, Lu Ten weaved them unreasonably through the halls and stairways and rooms. Katara was beginning to think he was going crazy too. Wherever their location was, there was a much easier way to get there, and she wasn't sure if Lu Ten was doing this to be cruel or otherwise, but he wasn't giving much away. Every time Katara tried to ask he'd just say 'oh, we'll get there soon'.

He stopped abruptly and Katara nearly ran into his back.

"What are-"

"Shh!" he hissed. "Oh, Lady Katara, lovely painting right here, wouldn't you agree?" he asked in an absolutely normal tone. Before her stood a wooden side-table with a fabric runner below a very large painting that wasn't anything special. But Lu Ten was motioning to it.

"It's ahh, a painting of an apple tree?" Katara was unsure what was so fantastic about it. Before Lu Ten could reply, the walls right underneath the table moved aside, startling Katara. She might have made a sound had Lu Ten not slapped a hand over her mouth. He lifted the runner and motioned for her to go into the hole.

"Quickly!" he instructed in a short, nearly inaudible whisper. Katara looked at the hole, then back at him, then back to Zuko. "Do you trust me?" he hissed.

Of course, she did, she realized and crawled into the wall, Zuko right behind. Lu Ten brought up the rear.

The area she was in was high enough for her to stand. There was a movement to her left, a girl coming from the shadows, and Katara silenced herself this time. She wordlessly handed Katara a lit torch. Zuko frowned, lighting his own fingers. With the light softly bathing the area, she watched as Lu Ten and the girl moved the wall piece back where it was.

It was a laundry maid; Katara recognized the uniform she was wearing.

"This way," she said, waving a hand for the trio to follow. She was motioning to a set of stairs that seemed to disappear into complete shadows. From how stretched it seemed, Katara figured it would take them miles below the palace above, but it was hard to say as she could not distinguish the end from the tiny landing they were squished in currently.

"Yes, let's follow her through the unfamiliar back passages into the darkness," Katara muttered, but she was unsure Lu Ten or Zuko heard her.

They seemed to traverse a great length of the Palace underground. There were a couple of places they seemed to switch routes, going through wooden and creaky doors or down steps. Katara had no idea what was above them anymore, and if she were with anyone else, she'd be worried she was going to get murdered down here.

Soon the walls opened up and Katara recognized some of the tunnels from the ones they'd hid in during the attacks on the palace. They didn't stay there long though and were brought to a large room that smelled like stagnant water and had a chill.

The maid took Katara's torch and used it to light a handful hanging on the walls. Lu Ten and Zuko helped her light the others.

As the rooms were cast into the light, there was a figure talking quietly to another maid at the far end of it.

"Uncle Iroh!" Zuko gasped, running across to hug him.

"Zuko, you should not have been in that hallway," Iroh said with a hint of disapproval. "You shouldn't have been anywhere near me."

"I wanted to...say goodbye," Zuko whispered, a bit confused at his frown. Iroh dropped his scowl and sighed, touching Zuko's face softly.

"Did you really believe I would walk willingly to my death, son?"

"Dad, are you alright?" Lu Ten asked.

"A bit sore in the wrists. It's been a long time since I've moved like that. I think I need to work out," Iroh laughed, slapping his stomach.

"What is going on?" Katara whispered, and it was meant to be a side-comment to herself, but the room bounced her voice around.

"It's going to be alright, Princess," Iroh said with a wide smile, "We're all going to be alright."

To their side, a passageway opened from the earthen wall, and Aang and Ty Lee stumbled into the circle, another maid with them. Aang and Ty Lee were covered in dirt and were looking bewildered, but safe.

"You idiot!" Zuko crossed the space, hitting Aang's arm hard before pulling him into a hug. "I could kill you!"

"I'm glad you're safe," Katara agreed, hugging Aang as soon as Zuko stepped back, and then Ty Lee.

"Avatar Aang." The laundry maid that had led Katara down stood before him. She bowed down to the dirt, a sign of ultimate reverence, which made Aang frown at the gesture.

"Please, don't. I'm still just me." He said uneasily, looking at Ty Lee for support. She rubbed his shoulder, smiling lightly.

"You're the Avatar. I think you'll have to get used to that," She murmured with a hint of a giggle. Aang sighed but still looked a tad frustrated. The maid stood, reaching for her side. She opened a sack that Katara hadn't seen her carrying to reveal Momo. Aang's eyes lit up immediately.

"Buddy! Oh, I thought you were a goner for sure!" Aang cried, hugging the marsupial and burying his face into the soft fur.

"He did not like being put into a bag," the maid said with a frown, "But I gave him some nuts and he quieted down."

There was some more talking from the passageway that Katara had been lead through. She spun around, ready to fight, but relaxed when she realized that they were just normal people; a few mothers and fathers, some elderly, and children. Airbenders? she wondered curiously.

Shoji was helping one woman walk, and she wondered if it was his mother. He nodded to Zuko and Katara, helping the woman sit on a stone before he checked on the others.

"We're just waiting for a few more," Iroh said evenly.

As Katara gazed around, she realized with a startling jolt that there were just as many maids as there were others. They seemed to slip into the shadows, unnoticed until she counted and forced herself to see them.

She looked at Zuko, but he seemed just as confused as she did, along with Aang and Ty Lee.

Someone exploded through the wall.

"I dunno why you don't let me at those fuckers! I could have taken 'em! Kill Toph? Please, they'd need an army!" Toph snapped as she stomped into the room, followed by Aiga and her own handmaid, Mayu, following behind.

"There are children here, Toph," Zuko groaned, motioning to a handful of kids under the age of ten.

"Toph," Katara turned toward her, suddenly nervous. She wasn't just looking at her friend, she was looking at her friend and her brother's girlfriend. They could be sisters, if the secret had been kept, or if Toph and Sokka had met in another life. She had always hoped she would be close with Sokka's future significant other, but it was startling that she already was. In any other circumstance, she'd be over the moon. Now, she was just unsure how her emotions were shaking out.

Still, even with everything that had happened, Katara smiled and wiped the tears from her eyes. Toph was going to live.

"Get over here," She mumbled, tugging on Toph's arm, pulling her tightly into a hug. She knew Toph would deny it if she brought it up, but Toph hugged her back just as desperately, "I thought you...you were..." She hiccuped, tone watery, "Both of you."

Toph pulled back, laughing a bit. Katara wanted to ask a million questions but only one seemed appropriate right now, or perhaps it was the one that won over her knowledge that there were other, bigger machinations at play.

"You and Sokka?"

"Sugar Queen," Toph said in half-greeting, half laughter, and despite how she tried to sound casual, her voice broke a little bit. "I, uhm, we were gunna tell ya. We just didn't know how."

Katara considered this, nodding. It would have been dangerous to do at nearly any point, and it was hardly something that Toph could have told her over morning tea. Equally, she knew Sokka would be hard-pressed to find the right time. After all of it, though she was still a bit hurt, she understood the difficulty of coming clean. She wanted to believe that Toph and Sokka hadn't meant to keep her in the dark with any malicious intent, and so thusly, she choose to be satisfied with Toph's words. Now, truly, there was only one question that mattered.

"Does he make you happy?" Katara asked, playing with the hem of her dress.

"Yeah. That meathead is something else, but he's my meathead, ya know?" Toph said, which she figured was about as close to a big declaration of love as she was going to get from the tiny girl.

"-couldn't get Sokka out, sir," Aiga was saying to Iroh in a hushed tone. Toph snapped her head around, as did Katara. "They moved Toph, like you thought they would, so we were able to intercept her. They're not moving Sokka, and I..." She inhaled hard. "But we can try again if-"

"I can go break him out! Easy," Toph stood to move, but Mayu held her back.

"Be still, Lady Bei Fong," Iroh said calmly. "Thank you Aiga, we will consider it in a moment."

"Still? My boyfriend's locked up by you crazy yahoos, and you want me to do nothing?" Toph demanded, snarling.

"Exactly. Nothing," Iroh said, "For now. We're trying to keep your head from the chopping block, Lady Bei Fong, and right now you're the fourth most-wanted person in the nation. Next to me, of course, as well as your friends." He nodded gently in the direction of Aang and Ty Lee.

"But I-"

"Young love is quite beautiful, but we must be careful not to run foolishly into a trap. Your concern is something I'm sure the Prince will be pleased with, but risking your life he would not. I know it seems difficult, but think of the true possibility that you would fail and send both of you into a worse fate." Iroh patted her hand sympathetically.

"I just..." Toph deflated, face taught, "I don't wanna leave him there. I was in those prisons. They suck, man."

"We seem to all be here, or at least enough." Iroh motioned to Aiga before turning back to Toph and Katara too, "We will figure out how to save Prince Sokka too," he said, and when he spoke, it did sound like a promise.

"Uncle, what is going on?" Zuko asked.

"Do you know what this means?" Aang piped up, holding up a Pai Sho playing tile. This seemed to mean something to Zuko, for he swung his head wildly to Lu Ten.

"Welcome to the Gray Lotus," Iroh said with a wide smile, "The best secret society you will never take notice of."

"Isn't that how a secret society is supposed to work?" Toph snorted. A few people laughed. Though not her intention, it started to ease the mood.

"There are other groups that in time will become more obvious. The Gray Lotus is of my own invention. I belong to another group, the White Lotus, who are made up of mostly rich, upper-class citizens. People who have money to move and change the way of things through influence. However, even in my youth, I noticed there was a group of people in the palace who were practically invisible to everyone around them: maids."

At a wave of his hand, the girls peeled from the walls and moved between the gathered. They were now outnumbered, girls in their uniforms standing quietly with soft smiles.

"It is so named not to say that we are gray morally, but because the color gray changes to whatever it needs to be. You put a gray next to one color and it appears lighter, gray next to a different color...darker. Gray exists everywhere and yet and is often forgotten, easily looked over in favor of more colorful shades. And there is a power within that."

"A secret society made up of maids?" Zuko said, staring at each of their faces, "Incredible."

"A maid can gain entrance to anywhere she needs to with no question. A maid stands in the corner of every room, and most ignore them. A maid is often one of thousands, and few know their names or distinguish one from the other. A maid knows every secret entrance built into the palace, built for the very purpose of a maid waiting on hand and foot at the request of a Royal," Lu Ten said with a snap of his fingers," Like that. And, Toph, of course, didn't tell Ozai all the secret passages that existed. Smart girl. Like this room...completely off the map. And, even if you stumbled upon a passageway, you would likely never find this area unless you knew how to get here."

"So you've been part of it...the whole time?" Katara asked, turning to Aiga. "Are all maids...?"

"Most of us, yes," Aiga bowed her head.

"My brother put me in charge of hiring maids not long after he became the Fire Lord. It was meant to taunt me, to give me a short-stick job," Iroh said with a wide smile, "But little did he know that he was giving me exactly what I needed to mold this idea. So I looked for girls who were clever, witty, and were trying to make their lives better. Girls like your Aiga, who was easy to overlook but had a fire beneath their feet. While I do admit there are likely many worthy girls who have applied, I do hire with a special...goal in mind," Iroh said with a twinkle in his eyes. "It is of course, voluntary."

"Most of us know that General Iroh is a good man. And, up until now, we've only had to interfere in matters of little consequence. Not on this scale, though no one is against helping," a kitchen maid piped up.

"Yes. Previously, it had mostly involved gathering intel. Cleaning maids looking at documents people leave out in their rooms, serving maids overhearing information, trash maids taking important items. Since the start of the Choice, things have only gotten more difficult. To the best of our ability...we've been protecting you. The girls and those who are innocents."

"Sometimes, it's making a girl slightly late for dinner on a day Ozai is being awful, hoping he'll have left before she arrives," Ratana's maid spoke up. Katara did remember one day that Ratana's maid had spilled tea on her dress minutes before going to dinner, making her half an hour late. Of course, Ratana had been so frustrated and had complained about her maid to the other ladies in the dining room. At the time, Katara herself had been in agreement that having a clumsy maid was vexing.

"Or, making suggestions and making you think that you thought of them, such as keeping a girl in the Ladies Room," Yue's maid added. Though it was only two examples, Katara felt like she was now spinning through every interaction with Aiga, wondering how much of it was Aiga pulling the springs.

"But now, we might have pulled off one of the most ambitious plans yet." Iroh was preening like a proud father. "The Royal Family, my brother, would never give maids so much credit," he said with a mischievous grin.

He turned to Toph, Ty Lee, and Aang. "All of us cannot show our faces here again, or we may not get so lucky a second time. I understand that there is a place where Airbenders are gathered, is there not?"

"Yes, Uncle," Zuko said, "You plan to go there?"

"And regroup, yes. Live to fight another day. As such, we're not entirely going alone." He waved his hand. "And you are welcome to come, too. You and Katara, and Sokka, if it goes that far."

Zuko startled. He turned to Lu Ten.

"I'm staying," Lu Ten said. "Someone must continue the Gray Lotus in my father's absence. I was only let into the secret this morning, but it is of utmost importance that we continue our work," he said. "We'll do what we can to protect those remaining and still gather information."

"If we leave, we're leaving in a few hours. I am sorry you were not given more notice, but time is of the essence," Iroh said quietly to Zuko and Katara. Zuko stared at his Uncle, then at the group of people, and frowned. He looked at Aang, at Toph, and finally at Katara.

Katara had no idea what to think.

Zuko grasped Katara's hand and pulled her out of the big room, back into the passageway, out of the view of everyone.

"Katara." Zuko kissed her palm. "You should go with them."

"Are you... not coming?" She gleaned, staring up at him.

"I can't." He spoke in a low, hushed tone. "If I leave, my father will give Azula the crown. The girls will be sent home, but I can't promise they will be safe. What I do know will happen, though, is that many people will be harmed and die. The search for Airbenders will be without any roadblocks, and my father will call for my head too. I'm equally as unsafe here, but at least here, I am still the heir apparent. I have more pull. I can't abandon everyone, I just can't." His eyes were shining with tears. "But I cannot bear to see you hurt. And I have done so much to hurt you."

"You haven't done anything more than what you had to do," Katara insisted. "If you're staying, I'm staying."

"No, please-"

"Zuko...we're partners. Blue Spirit and the Painted Lady, right?" she reminded him with a soft smile. "And I will not leave you alone here."

"Even if I beg?"

"I'm far too stubborn for my own good, remember?" Katara whispered back. Zuko gave a dry laugh, pulling her into a hug, resting his chin on her head.

"If you end up hurt because of this..."

"Then you can blame me, not you. I probably ran head-first into danger anyway," Katara said, squeezing his hand.

They stayed hugging for just a moment before Zuko strode back into the room.

"I'm staying here, and so is Katara."

Iroh nodded. He looked disappointed, but resigned, as though he'd expected this answer, but had desperately hoped his own expectations wrong.

"Princess," Shoji had come to stand next to Katara and she had not even realized it, "I... I know I am indebted to you, but I cannot leave the Avatar alone. I have protected him for all these months and I beg you to allow me to leave with him."

"Shoji, I'm sure Aang will feel better knowing he has such a loyal friend and warrior with him." She hugged him. "I would be angry if you did not go."

"If you three are staying, you should go back up, before you are missed," Iroh instructed Lu Ten, Katara, and Zuko. "Worry not about us, though. I worry more about you."

"What about Sokka?" Toph piped up, trying to sound brave.

"Springing someone from a jail cell is much more difficult than moving them in the palace." Lu Ten rubbed his chin. "Maids aren't allowed in the cell blocks. I don't trust any guard, except for Guardsman Shoji, because he owes Katara a life debt. And I especially don't trust Prison Guards. I will have to think on this one, but I assure you Toph, we will save him before something befalls him. He might just be a few days late. Certainty, before his punishment comes to be, whatever they decide it is."

Toph looked ready to scream or argue, but even she recognized the danger she may put both of them in if she tried to release him now. Plus, she seemed to be keeping her focus on where Iroh was. Katara expected that though Iroh was so gentle, he would not hesitate to incapacitate or knock Toph out for the good of the group if she were going to try something stupid. Katara thought that Toph, as bone-headed as she was, also was coming to this conclusion.

"You also won't be staying until he is released. You'll be going with the group tonight," Lu Ten said, watching Toph's face.

"You just thought of it all, huh," Toph muttered angrily, arms crossed. She dropped her pose, walking up to Katara. "Betcha thought you'd never see the day I'd wanna stay in the palace for a guy, huh?"

"Well, no," Katara admitted, "But I believe you told me to expect the unexpected with you. So maybe I should have known."

"Tell him I love 'em when you see him," Toph said in a moment of sincerity, "And that I expect his goofy smile only a few days behind me."

"How do you know he has a goofy smile?" Zuko scratched his head.

"Even without sight I can tell he looks like a doofus half the time, but that's what I sorta like about him." Toph snorted, "When I first realized I had a crush, I thought I must have been going insane. Maybe I still am. You gonna do that though, Sugar Queen?"

"I will." Katara gasped Toph in a strong and possibly final hug. "Be safe."

"Oh, c'mon. You should worry about everyone I meet along the way that tries to stop me," Toph cackled.

"Katara, I will take you all back up," Aiga said with a tight face.

Katara nodded, looking across the group one last time. She had no idea if she'd ever see any of them again.

And, she knew Aiga's face well enough.

She was silent until the last leg of their trip back to the halls.

"You're going too, aren't you? That was your family down there..." Katara inhaled hard, in despair at the thought of losing Aiga.

"I am," Aiga said simply. "Someone began to suspect I was doing more than just being your handmaid. We're not sure who, but attacking my family was a warning that I needed to stop what we were doing. I am not so persuaded but at the same time...I cannot ask my family to be placed in danger again."

"And if you stayed here...you'd be in danger as well," Katara finished.

"Assumedly, yes," Aiga said with a watery smile.

"Then you must go," Katara agreed. "And well, I'll struggle through putting on my clothes all by myself. And I will gladly go down to lunch with mismatched ribbons in my hair knowing you are alive and well," Katara said.

They hugged and whispered goodbyes, and soon enough, Aiga was gone, leaving Zuko, Lu Ten, and Katara behind the wall.

"What happens now?" Zuko asked in a soft voice.

"You go to bed." Katara snorted.

"No, I can't I-"

"Yes," Both Lu Ten and Katara said in unison.

"Cousin, get some rest. Agni knows we'll need it. Because..." He opened the wall for them and they were at a different hallway, one that not many people used, "I honestly have no idea what happens now."

--

Sorry it took so long, but at least it's a lengthy one!

Did anyone see the twist with the Gray Lotus? Some of you had close guesses for why Aiga's family was attacked! Also, I know loads of you were angry at Mai after last chapter, but maybe this will shed some more light on it! She has no lost love for Toph, but I don't write Mai to be malicious, ya know?

Things have been busy for me and three weeks from now sorta starts to edge into Christmas territory. I'm at the age where my siblings and I are flung out all over so it's really a special time for me to get to see them, if I get to see them at all. With that in mind, I don't want to get hopes up about a chapter with a definitive date. Usually, it takes about three weeks for me to write, edit, and have my beta edit a chapter so it's doubtful it would be sooner. Just manage expectations for the release date chapter 32 I suppose!

For girls that are curious, here are the contestants that still remain in the palace and competition (in no particular order):
1. Katara
2. Yue
3. Mai
4. Smellerbee
5. Suki
6. Ratana
7. Alcina
8. Nadhari
9. On Ji

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 17.2K 42
*FINAL BOOK* At last, Saki found her place in the world - fighting side by side with the soon-to-be-legendary Team Avatar. That is, until she's forci...
7.5K 237 11
A story about growing up, identity, purpose, and falling in love with the person you married. At twelve years old Princess Dai Yu agrees to marry Pri...
22.7K 397 13
When the South Pole is being threatened by the North... When rebels protest for Gilak's imprisonment... When Fire Lord Zuko arrives in the South Pole...
16.6K 522 11
Last book of the Delicate Subterfuge Series. Some people want to watch the world burn. Some people will do anything they can to stop them. It's not j...