North American Vampire Counci...

By cjstevens2018

(18+) (Sex and Language) Something is going on, and Adrian has no idea what is happening. The world seems cal... More

Note
Part One: North American Vampire Council
The Calm
My Strawberry
Bethany
Not Like We Have Records
NorthAm Meeting
DNA Sequencer
Scotch and Penance
Naked Reports
Letting Larry Down Hard
Whither Thou Goest
Anything Else is a Diss
Canceled Meeting
Reflections
Come Love Me
Rinse. Now.
Not Like You Care
Rachel
The Scale and the Issues
Boot Camp Plans
Focus
Prison Money
He is That Angry
No Beer For You
Confused
Ride Like The Wind
Drained Shell
Complaints... Manager...
Peanut Butter
Still Hungry
Really, Helen?
Unplanned
Observatory
Sprayed On
Uncovered
One Shade Darker
Homicide Later
Missing Parties
Brilliant
Back Home
Eyes To Yourself
Part Two: Next
Short: It's Time
Guests
Baby Discussion
Baby Logistics
Short: Kevin
Question
Past Calling - Hypernaturals 13 (Cover)
Past Calling : Hypernaturals 13
Phone Call
Safe Space
Don't Be Cruel
Marry Me Again
Partner In All Things
I Am Ready
Extended Family
Especially Horrible
Payment Plans
MPR
Fight Club
Clueless
When Do You Sleep?
Private Talk
Everything We Have
Ruminations and Readiness
Lay of the House
A Hard Road
PO Box
Canvas
Street Cameras
Trailer Park
Let Them Work
Waiting Room
Byplay
Gallery
Planning the Shoot
Ice Queen
Test Shots
More Pictures
Come On!
It's All New
Come In
All So Much
Missing Person Formation
Where It Stands
I Have Changed
End Note to 'Past Calling': Morgan
Short: Victoria
Meetings
Family Reflection
Poly Crisis Averted
I Never Wanted This
I Like To Fang
New Helen
Short: Some People Never Learn
Recuse Myself
Not That Generous
Drive to Camp
One Week Less Than Forever
Booty Camp
If You Feel Guilty
Imminently Sensible
Zipline
Want To Help Me?
Lover, Not Sex'er
Angel Love
Denise is Going to Kill Us
Sleeping Arrangements
Now This
Short: Handsy
Provocation
The Larry Sh*t Show
Combat Rules
Vera VS Larry
After the 'Battle'
Something Has to Change
Short: Camp Adrian
New Sign
Camp Repairs
Someones Knocking
Not My Work
Folly, Hubris, and Tilting at Windmills
Honor Me
Short: Alexander Returned
Sign of the Alexander
East Coast Call
Point of Presence
Took One for the Team
Not Very Teachable
Cert Style Training
The Goodbye Girl
Short: Dancing Fools
That's Just The Way It Is
Dance the Night Away
Office Picnic
Short: Secret
Two Days
The Bar
Stunned
Bad Toto
Partner In All Things
History of the Bar

Helen Found You

48 7 3
By cjstevens2018

Morgan showed me her computer, displaying a news article. "Did you see the society page today?"

I am sitting at my desk in our home office, next to hers. "They still have society pages?" I asked.

"I suppose. I did not know that either until I went and looked for this. I became so tired of being in the paper in Houston, I admit I have not looked for such a thing for a while. The Cabal delighted not only in publishing my solved cases but putting in speculation about whether the so-called 'famous single detective' was going to be getting serious with 'Mr. Right'. It was always a picture of me on a date with some white guy. Never when I was was out with a person of color. I had to try to not let that channel me away from dating good people merely because they were light-skinned."

"That sounds truly awful. Not to mention stressful for whoever your date was."

"On several occasions, it was Mike. He said it amused him. I am not certain that it did. It amused me from the point of view that the Cabal was more interested in his skin color than his occupation as a bartender in a sexually oriented business. Not that I cared about either, but some did not understand my defense of the industry, what with being a woman and all. The Cabal appeared to prefer skin color to occupation, or more likely were customers of those in the trade."

"These people were the worst. Hands down." I opined.

"Agreed. Back to this: This is an article in the local paper covering the big charity ball from last weekend. Big event. Many pictures of important people. Items such as the Mayor and his husband attending the event. Or here, the woman that owns the largest female-owned business in the city with two dates, and a blurb wondering if they are dates, bodyguards, or both. That kind of thing."

"Society pages have not improved since you used to appear in them, you are saying. Except that this is Austin and so it is less judgemental about same-sex marriages, and possible poly relationships."

"They have not improved significantly. The verbiage is indirectly catty to the point of sounding envious about the idea that this woman has two men to take to bed after the event. I hope she did, and that there were five more on standby. Not the reason I brought this up. This article is about society, and so when someone who is not one of the beautiful people appears, they wonder who they are. Some mystery couple stole the evening, out-dancing everyone at the ball, not to mention being in the most fabulous clothing."

Morgan tapped the screen which made it zoom in. "Look at the picture."

The photo is of Helen and I dancing. She is extended away from me, holding hands, the other arm outstretched. Her fingers flipped up in a sort of flourish. It is a still picture, but such a good shot that it is easy to infer the grace of Helen's body that led to it.

Because of the angle of the shot, my face is in side-view, but Helen's is full face and slightly right of the center frame. The geometry and composition make sense. I am not the important one in that picture or that dance. I am not Danny Kaye to her Vera-Ellen. I am a counterbalance to Helen, who is the blonde beauty of many legends, dressed to match the part of a goddess of dance, right down to her shoes.

I reached across the desk to the screen and further zoomed in.

"Wow. I need the original of this. Helen looks so happy. The joy radiating from her every line." I said sort of abstractly as I looked at her. The perfect beauty, the perfect pose. The hair swung out. Excellent shot. I hope this is in high resolution.

Morgan waited for me to absorb the image, knowing it affected me. "When we get this from the paper photo archive, we need to put this with the pictures Bob did of all of us. When was the last time you saw that expression on Helen's face?" she asked.

I thought about it. "I have never seen that expression. Not even when Rachel was born, because she looked happy and worried all at the same time. When we were doing the pictures with Bob, she was happy and laughing, but this is different. That is... joy. Pure and unadulterated joy."

"Helen is so very much in this moment. If you are going to wear a suit, that is a good reason to right there." Morgan has always been more accepting of a work uniform than I.

Morgan looked at the picture. "I have never seen that expression. When you all came home from the weekend? She was singing. Helen. Well, humming, but still. Helen! Not a modicum of her normal snarky self in her body. You and your purple suit loved it right out of her. I have known Helen longer than you, and I have never seen her like this."

"The suit is a costume, and we compromised on the tie. Helen found something to love about it not being there. I figured I can wear costumes to ComicCon, I can wear costumes to go dancing."

Morgan looked at me with a Mona Lisa flavor of a smile. She wears that better than anyone other than Mona Lisa herself. "I never really thought of my work clothes as a costume. I went from a short stint as a uniformed officer to a detective, and 'detective' had its own uniform. I largely kept the uniform as a private detective. It is a costume, now that I think upon it. It is not me. Me is naked. With a lover. Helen is good with naked, but this is her too. Like this." She tapped the picture which made it wiggle a little on the screen.

I paused for a thoughtful moment. "It's one little thing. Honestly, my Morgan, I had no idea Helen loved to dance like that. So many centuries to bridge. So much life she has experienced before our lives together that a baby like me cannot even comprehend it. Her life before us had to be more than palace intrigue and sneaking off the broom closet with scullery maids."

"She absolutely did that." Morgan said. "Broom closet. Attic. Wherever in the castle a bisexual woman needed to go to have her illicit-at-the-time love."

"I am sure she had many pre-laid-out locations for her sex before she was forced to leave for France. What I was thinking about is that she once said that, post-Vampire-turn, she loved two of the humans she married, even if the larger project was Helen doing a Mata Hari thing for the Vampire world and despite that being a part of her larger plan to get on Council."

"I remember her saying that. I was unsure of how to respond."

"My exact point. How does that work? How do you feel in the aftermath of a relationship with a human that lasted longer than I have been alive? To love and lose a human spouse? An ephemeral love?" I shook my head at that concept. "Whatever all that is, I have never felt so close to her. So married to her, as after the evening we lay there and talked about Laura and boats. As costumes go, that is a magical one. Even better than your Supergirl one, and that is saying something!"

Morgan took back the computer, looked down at the screen, still zoomed in on Helen's face. "For that effect, that look on her face, I would pay you to wear that costume. That is... Amazing. Such simple, happy, carefree joy."

"You can bring her the same joy." I pointed out.

"How?" Morgan asked, disbelieving.

"Same way I sort of accidentally hit on dancing. I never told you why I suggested Helen and I do this. I found her in the garage, touching motors. Listening to you and Jessica singing and dancing up in the house to one of Jessica's favorite songs. She looked really down. Excluded. She was out in the garage looking at your world. We do the week away per spousal pair thing, but that is once a year. We need something more. Helen and I decided we needed a thing that is just her and I. You and I have a ton of them. From the park to the PI business to the coding to the bar... Things that are just ours, or are you, me, and Angel. You and Jessica have the garage and the singing and ... Well, you are her love. You kicked her ass so hard, with love and sex, over Alexander she realized how she felt about you. It was unexpected, but it is what it is. Jessica and I have things she and I do. Nightwing. ComicCon. You name it. Things we include others in from time to time, but that is ours. The Ski Condo in New Mexico where I recovered after first turning. There is a little beer and burger place by it we eat at. It's our tradition. Our place. You do work for Helen at her retreat, and things like that, but you two have no special things that are just yours. Think about it. Helen has five centuries of life to mine, looking for things for her happiness. Find some way to make her look like that. Happy, with her wife."

Morgan looked thoughtful. "The three of us were jealous when we saw you leaving, dressed like that, Helen chattering away as if she was going to the prom." Morgan laughed derisively. "Now I feel like such a chump." Morgan looked at me seriously. "How did you arrive at the dancing and the costumes, out of all the options?"

"First thing that popped into my head. I thought about the English and French courts, which made me think about the breast-baring fashions of the day, which made me think about courtly manners, which ultimately led me to this idea. A thing she used to do and love she never gets to do anymore." I explained. "Helen never really said it was something she loved, but I thought it was something two people can do. Her joy was ... Unexpected. If you listen to Helen most days, you would think the happy phase of her life started once Jessica took her to bed. All their adventures."

"Of course there are bare breasts in your inspiration. It is you." Morgan teased.

"I celebrate women's bodies. Sue me." I said gruffly.

"Oh, no. I like to be celebrated. However, I think that perhaps the reason she said nothing about her love of dancing from the court days is that her love of it is new. Brand new. Last weekend new."

Morgan shrank the picture, showed it to me. "This is the first time she was dancing with the man she loves. Makes a difference. That joy is not merely dancing. It is who she is with. The same way Jessica and I found each other, Helen found you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 3.3K 26
Cover made by dogpower77 - Raven is just like any other 18 year old on the planet, with a few exceptions. One, she's a Werewolf. A Werewolf that wi...
59.2K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
3.9K 538 61
(18+) Vampires evolved to prey upon humans. They are completely irresistible. Jessica is at her clinic in Mexico, near Pueblo Lorca. Things are tens...
4.4K 559 70
(18+) Vampires are real, sexy, powerful, Poly. Humans cannot resist them. One inhalation of their pheromones and they are lost. There are Humans that...