Arnav & Khushi Short Stories

By kyundardhai

Arnav and Khushi's story can be imagined in so many different ways. This is where I can share some of my thou... More

"Orphan"
"Arnav" ~ Part I
"Arnav" Part II
Girlfriend Part I
Girlfriend Part II
Girlfriend pt.III
Girlfriend Part IIII. (final part)
Fight
Love<3
Jealous Pt 1
Jealous Pt.2
Happy Birthday
Channa Mereya
Winter Will Bring Us Together
Dhaba

Idiot.

3.4K 228 22
By kyundardhai

Khushi looked around the banquet hall, the strobing lights, the loud music, people dancing like crazy, it was a full Indian wedding.

There were festivities everywhere, such a colorful atmosphere! Khushi laughed when she saw her sister Payal dragging her fiancé with her to the dance floor, what a sight. Khushi took out her phone and took a quick picture of the polar opposite couple.

How?

Khushi always wondered how these two fell for each other. There was Payal, the loud, obnoxious, and chirpy girl and then there was her fiancé the shy type. He was too shy to talk, too shy to dance, and definitely too shy to make the first move on her sister. So how?

It blew her mind knowing that such polar opposite personalities could become one. For example, Khushi herself had a loud and bubbly personality, she could never fall for someone who was an introvert, egoistic, or an unhappy person. Their personalities would clash and their relationship would never work.

However, seeing Payal di and Akash jiju dance to a romantic song on their engagement day made her very happy. They seemed like they were meant to be. Khushi sighed, she craved for such love too.

When will I find my soulmate?

Khushi laughed more when she saw her jiju step away from her sister when she started doing bhangra in the middle of the dance floor.

"Khushi, can you help me?"

Khushi heard someone calling her name from behind her.

Must be mom.

She turned around to see who it was but ended up crashing into someone. She felt cold liquid drench her dress.

"What the...?"

"Ah, what the...", Khushi shouted.

Both of them yelled at the same time.

Khushi wiped her blouse with her hand, trying to ignore the way the sticky juice dripped down her chest. She looked up to find the culprit just staring at her.

"Can't you see?"

Khushi glared at the guy in front of her. He was a little bit taller than her so he hovered over her, but the guy had no manners whatsoever. He didn't bother to apologize or help. All he did was glare back at her.

"I can see, but can you?"

"Haw, the audacity. Instead of apologizing, you're taunting me! Get out of my way."

Khushi pushed him aside with her shoulder and headed to the bathroom, "idiot."

Khushi looked around to see him just walk towards where he was going initially.

Dumbass.

"Khushi beta, what happened?"

Khushi looked at her mom and pouted, "Look ma, some asshole just spilled juice on me. That idiot didn't even apologize! Now, what do I do?"

Khushi's mom studied her situation and then directed her to their hotel room where Khushi could change into another outfit.

After some time, Khushi was done changing. She gave herself a look over in the mirror and then headed out to the hall again.

Khushi saw her dad looking around, he was probably looking for her.

"Papa I am right here, you were looking for me right?"

"Beta where were you? The engagement is about to start and your sister was looking for you everywhere!"

"Sorry papa, let's go! I'll tell you later."

Khushi walked towards her sister and whispered a sorry. She settled down beside her sister and indicated to the DJ to announce that the engagement had begun. Payal didi first adorned Akash jiju's finger with a ring. Khushi clapped loudly.

Akash patted his coat for the ring, but he looked confused.

"What happened jiju?"

Akash shook his head and then looked around.

"Jiju, please tell me you didn't lose the ring."

Akash bit his lip and then looked around again.

Suddenly, a voice echoed from down the hall.

"I have it, wait."

Khushi gasped.

That idiot?

A man in a black coat came running towards them and handed Akash a ring box.

"My bad Akash!"

Khushi stammered, "You?"

The man turned towards her and stared at her in surprise.

Akash chuckled, "Khushi ji this is my cousin Arnav. You guys know each other?"

Khushi squinted her eyes, "obviously not."

"Chalo Akash beta, put the ring on Payal's hand," said Akash's mom.

Akash put the ring on Payal's hand and confetti exploded. Everyone clapped around the hall, but Khushi's eyes were on the idiot standing next to Akash.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The engagement was over with and the other festivities had taken over. It was haldi night and Khushi had promised to not only help in her house but also at Akash's house. She was a party planner by the job, so this was her area of expertise.

Even if they didn't ask for her help, Khushi would have refused to let any of the families go to any other party planner in town.

Khushi had just finished up decorating her house, so she headed towards Akash's house now. She walked inside to see Akash's mom trying to instruct everyone what to do, but it wasn't working outright. Khushi instantly took over.

She started with the lights, then with the flowers, and then with the curtains. Within 3 hours everything was done.

"Khushi beta can you also put up the lights near our pool, thank you so much for your help! What would I have done without you?"

Khushi smiled at Akash's mom, "of course aunty ji, it was my pleasure. I'll go do it right now!"

Khushi headed upstairs towards the pool with a rope of tangled lights. She dropped the lights on the floor and then started untangling them, but to no avail because now she was tangled with the lights.

"What the...?"

A startled Khushi almost fell forward, until she felt two hands gripping her arms to balance her. She looked up to see those hazel eyes again.

"What are you doing here?" Khushi questioned him.

She fiddled with the lights around her and then grunted in anger when she realized she would need help.

"This is my house too. The real question is what are you doing here?"

Khushi gave him a sarcastic smile, "first of all this is sisters house now too and my jiju's house. Also, I'm helping out with the decorations."

Arnav responsed with the same sarcastic smirk, "oh wow I didn't know this was Akash's house and your sister's house. What a genius, you are!"

Khushi rolled her eyes and then muttered, "idiot", under her breath.

Khushi focused back on her problem, lights!

"What do I do now?", Khushi mumbled to herself.

She heard him clear his throat and saw him just standing in front of her, examining her.

"Do you need help?"

Khushi rolled her eyes, "oh wow, this creature helps too?!"

Arnav took a deep breath, "whatever, I offered."

As he started walking away, Khushi realized that she would be stuck here for hours if someone didn't help her. Unfortunately that someone had to be him.

"Stop. I can use your assistance."

Arnav stopped his tracks and turned around, "I said help, not assistance."

Khushi gritted her teeth. She saw him turning back around again.

Whatever let him go Khushi. There is something called self-respect.

After what seemed like hours, but had been only 30 minutes, she saw Akash's mom walk towards the pool.

"Thank god you're here Aunty!"

Akash's mom hurried towards her, "I was wondering where you went, get up, let me help you."

Khushi twirled around as Akash's mom unraveled the lights.

"Khushi, Arnav's room is right next door, did you not see him? You could've asked for his help."

Khushi huffed if only she knew.

"No Aunty, I didn't see him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Didi like other guys, why isn't Akash jiju having a bachelor's party?"

Payal giggled, "I would never let him, that's why. Anyways it will be more fun to have a small party for just the younger people in our family."

Khushi smiled, "it'll actually be a lot of fun."

Payal and Khushi walked inside the small hall they had booked for just friends and family. The couple had decided to have a joint party with their inner circle as their bachelor party. Payal instantly got pulled on to the dance floor, whereas Khushi denied their offer. She just wanted to sit for a few minutes. This wedding had made her exhausted.

Khushi sat down on the table in the corner and asked the waiter for a glass of water. A few minutes later she felt someone sitting right next to her, "you?!"

Khushi shifted away when she saw the devil right next to her.

"You didn't find any other table to sit at."

Arnav shook his head, "nope."

Khushi rolled her eyes. She really despised this guy and his attitude.

They sat quietly for some time, with Khushi talking pictures of the dance floor and Arnav typing away on his phone.

"You do realize you're at a party, right? It's your cousin's wedding and here you are on your phone."

She took a quick glance at him who had now put away his phone.

"Well, the same goes for you. You're the bride's sister and here you are sitting in a corner."

"You know what, unlike others, I actually did some work, so I'm exhausted. What's your excuse?"

Arnav raised an eyebrow, "how do you know I didn't do work?"

Khushi turned towards him, "it's obvious. I've never seen you before the engagement, I didn't even know you existed. I haven't seen you at any parties either."

"That's valid, but you probably didn't hear of me because I was out of the country. I had just landed in India on the day of Akash's engagement. Also, I'm not a party person. I rather work behind the scene."

"Hmmm. Valid excuses. Unfortunately, they just sound like excuses."

Arnav exhaled, "what's your problem with me? I'm trying to be nice here."

Khushi chuckled, "if this is nice, then I guess I don't like 'nice' people like you."

"What have I done?"

Khushi snorted, "You are just rude. You spilled juice on me the day of the engagement, then didn't apologize, and then taunted me. Later on, instead of helping me with the lights, you just walked away!"

Arnav scratched the back of his head, "I shouldn't have done that."

"Are you serious? You still aren't apologizing."

Arnav raised his shoulders in question, "why would I apologize?"

Khushi shook her head, "never mind."

"Are you always this angry?"

Khushi smiled, "no, I reserve this for special people like you."

Arnav grinned too, "I'm special then."

Khushi narrowed her eyes, "barely."

"You're cute when you're angry."

Khushi paused in her tracks, "wh..at...?"

She glared at the smirk that refused to move from his mouth. What kind of human being is he? Also, why is he saying stuff like that? Weren't they mutual haters now?

Khushi got up from her seat and headed towards the dance floor.

Pointless.

She felt a sudden tug on her wrist and Khushi was now against his chest.

His mouth went near her ear and he whispered, "I'm sorry Khushi."

Khushi's eyes widened, she softly pushed herself back when he let go of her waist.

WTF just happened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Khushi looked at her beautiful sister taking the pheras with her husband. Khushi's eyes teared up. They looked gorgeous!

She threw more flowers at the beautiful couple, meanwhile her eyes scanned the room. She didn't see him.

Three days had passed by since the bachelor's party and she didn't see Arnav anywhere. She didn't care, but it was odd that she didn't see him attending his cousin's haldi or their family dinner.

Khushi felt flower petals falling on her head.

What the..?

Khushi turned towards the person next to her and saw him subtly throw flowers on her. Her eyes widened at how close he was standing, she backed away a little.

"I don't smell, right?"

Khushi blinked a few times, "what?"

Arnav looked at her and smiled, "I don't smell, right?"

"No. I mean I'm not smelling you, how would I know?"

"Well, why are you backing away?"

Khushi turned towards him when she felt more flower petals on her head, "I don't like you. Was that not obvious?"

The couple in front of them were now done with their pheras and were taking their family's blessings.

"I am not that bad, Khushi", he whispered in her ear and headed towards the couple.

Akash hugged Arnav and then Payal hugged him.

"Thank you for everything bhai! What would I have done without you?"

Arnav awkwardly patted him on his shoulder, "Don't. It's okay."

Payal walked towards Khushi and hugged her tight. Khushi let out the tears she had been holding in for the past few days.

"Stupid, you're crying more than me. It doesn't look right."

Khushi laughed at her sister's statement, "sorry."

She sniffled as Akash side hugged her, "Khushi ji, you're welcome to our house any day or time. Payal is your sister first and then my wife."

Khushi let out a few more tears, "how in the hell did you find Akash jiju? He's perfect."

Payal smiled, "I'm a lucky girl. I'm going to miss you Khushi."

Khushi hugged her sister one more time and then let her continue on to the other elders. She was one of the last ones left near the mandap when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Save your tears, you might be surprised to see how often you'll be meeting your sister."

Khushi's eyebrows knitted in confusion, "excuse me?"

Arnav cleared his throat, "I mean you'll be able to see her anytime."

Khushi nodded, "You're acting suspiciously."

Arnav smiled, "if I am nice, then I seem suspicious?"

Khushi narrowed her eyes again, "nice doesn't suit you."

Arnav chuckled. Hearing his laughter did something to Khushi, but she couldn't figure out what.

Arnav stared intently at Khushi and then snapped his fingers in front of her.

"I know I am handsome, but there is still people around here. Stop staring."

Khushi swallowed the lump in her throat, "I wasn't staring!"

"You so were."

Khushi bit her lip and walked towards the rest of her family.

Once again she felt a pull on her hand, she felt him close behind her.

"If you want Khushi, you can stare at me forever. I promise in a year we will meet each other here again. Right near this mandap. Maybe this time, we'll be the ones taking the pheras."

Khushi gasped, "what? no!"

Arnav shook his shoulders, "maybe. Main itna bhi bura nahin."

Khushi turned around looking into his eyes with a question.

"Try toh karo."

Arnav flicked her nose with his finger and walked away.

Khushi blushed, "itna bhi bura nahin hai yeh, idiot."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts, comments, recommendations. 

Just a small random story I thought of this afternoon.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 1.4K 10
A short SS on Arnav and Khushi decipting the title name.
56.4K 1.6K 5
Khushi and Arnav were enjoying their rabba ve moments after their remarriage. Arnav showered her with love but still enjoyed riling her up just to se...
55.6K 3.1K 23
A blissful marriage between two individuals who already lost so much in life.. will their past allow them to lead a peaceful present... An Arshi love...
12.1K 1K 14
A short story on Arshi