The Last Hunt

By jirii_

When Scarlett and her friends moved to Tansville for college, they discovered something they should not have... More

The Second Hunt
The Third Hunt
The Fourth Hunt
The Fifth Hunt

The First Hunt

14 2 8
By jirii_

“Scarlett! Can you come down for a minute? I have great news for you!” My mom yelled from downstairs. I went downstairs with my box of things. I was moving out for college in a couple of weeks.

“What is it mom?” I asked.

“I received a letter. It says that Eulogia University offered you a scholarship. But with one Hundred percent discount.” My mom happily told me as she showed me the letter she was talking about.

“Mom. We've talked about this. I'm not going to Eulogia or at Greenland or any other school. I want to study at Westford.” I told her a hundred times now.

“I know that honey but Eulogia is a school where students like you go. I mean... You're smart. And—”

“Mom. I know. Thank you but, I promised dad I'd go to the same college he went to. if he's still alive, mom, he'd be very proud.” I told her.

“But honey, you can't let this opportunity pa—”

“Mom... I'm going to Westford. PERIOD. End of discussion.” I said.

My mom sighed in defeat.

“Fine. Since this is the third time you've rejected offers from prestigious schools, I'll stop. Just do your best.” She said.

“Thanks mom. I'll go upstairs and continue packing. And mom, Lexi and I will share an apartment or something. We're going to the same college.” I informed.

“That's great Scarlett...” She suddenly said with a hint of fear and worry.

“What's wrong?” I asked.

“It's just that I'm worried for you and your best friend Lexi. Do you know the mysterious accidents that are on the news lately? It's in that town. And I'm worried you'll get in trouble. Both of you.” She said.

“Mom, you're really believing the news?” I unbelievably asked her.

“They're just making those up so that they can report something to everyone. None of those are true, mom. It's probably just animal attacks. They're making a big deal of something that isn't supposed to be a big deal.” I told her.

“And besides, none of those are true. They don't exist. They never did.” I said.

“Alright honey. Go and finish packing.” She said. I nodded and went upstairs to my room.

I cant believe mom is believing those things. Vampires only exist in movies and books. Oh how I hate Vampires. They're all dazzling but they're a monster inside. At least that's how they describe it in Twilight and The Vampire diaries.

Classes were just one day away after a couple weeks had passed. Summer whizzed by so quickly. The first day of class begins tomorrow. Today, Lexi and I are moving into our apartment.

“Scarlett! Lexi's here! Hurry up!” My brother Tyler yelled from downstairs.

“I'm coming.” I went downstairs with all of my things, which were so heavy. Lexi was sitting on the couch waiting for me. She stood up as soon as she saw me.

“You took so long to get ready. Let's go.” I agreed and nodded at her.

“Goodbye sis, finally.” Tyler said teasingly, the last word coming out more of a whisper. I rolled my eyes and chuckled.

“Bye mom. I'll visit you once every two weeks.” I told her.

“Bye you two. Be careful.” She said before we walked our way to the bus port, both complaining how heavy our things are.

“Guys! Wait for me!” A familiar voice yelled. We both looked to our right and saw Violet running towards us with her bag of things just like us.

“Vi!” I happily exclaimed.

“Vi, what are you doing here? We haven't seen you all summer.” Lexi said, a bit surprised.

“We can't even contact you.” I added.

“Uhm— Long story. Things got complicated at home, but I guess it was good complicated... Or not?” Violet unsurely said.

“What do you mean”" I asked as the bus arrived. We all hopped in and found a seat for the three of us.

“Did I ever tell you that I have a brother?” Our eyes widen at her confession. Definitely not! We've known Violet since we were kids and not one second she told us she had a brother.

“Brother?! Older brother or younger?” Lexi asked.

“Neither of the two. We're just the same age. Although I'm older than him by four  months. Mom and dad got divorced when I was still in mom's belly, right?” Lexi and I both nodded at her, remembering she had told us that not long ago.

“Dad went away, and he told us that he got someone pregnant the same year.” Violet said.

“Then the woman didn't accept the baby and left them when my step brother was still two years old. Dad raised him up and decided to go back and introduce him to us. He came back.” She explained.

“So does that mean all of you live under the same roof?”

“No. Mom won't let them. Both of my parents are still trying to figure out themselves. But my mom let my step brother sleep in our house. Just not dad." Violet finished. It was a three long hour drive from our hometown to Tansville, the town where we are staying. Violet also told us that her dad paid for her rent at the apartment she's staying at.

“Hey, we're here.” Lexi told us. We went out as soon as the bus stopped at the bus port.

“What are your plans for today?” Violet asked us as we walked to our apartment.

“I'll go to the department store and furniture shop to buy some things we need for our apartment.” Lexi told me.

“I do too. I'll come with you.” Violet said. Lexi nodded at her.

“How about you Scarlett?” Vi asked me.

“I saw a book café on our way to the bus port. I'll go there after we drop our things.” I told them. After a minute or two, Violet stopped at a four floor apartment not far from where our apartment is.

“Is this your apartment?” I asked Violet. She nodded.

We bid bye to Violet as Lexi and I continued to walk. After a while, we arrived at our apartment. We first dropped our things and took a rest for about twenty  minutes. I spent that twenty minutes unpacking my clothes. And then we went outside again.

“Scarlett, I think Violet and I might take a little longer to get home so the apartment is all yours until night.”

“Okay.” I said and walked away on my own while Lexi went to Violet

The neighborhood was surprisingly quiet yet it was so big. It was far from what I expected. I expected it to be noisy and full of people on the street.

From where we reside, the closest book café was one kilometer away. It wasn't close to where I live. There was nowhere near it to live. It was located at the edge of the community, and if you continue walking a little distance, you'll arrive in the center of a forest. I entered the bookstore and placed a mocha Frappe order. It was among my favorite beverages. A man in his late 30s was working the counter. I got a book to read and went to sit down. I kept reading.

Excluding Lexi and Vi, books are my best friend since I was like two or three years old.

I decided to order another mocha frappe before leaving as I realized it was getting dark. I was about to open the door when somebody opened it first from the outside, bumping into me making me spill my drink into my shirt. I gasped as my shirt got wet.

“Hey! Watch where you're going! You fucking bitch...” My jaw dropped at his attitude and language.

“Excuse me? Who do you think you are?" I unbelievably asked. He suddenly raised his hand, about to lay his hands on me. But before it could even go any further, somebody had already punched him.

“You should learn to respect women, you asshole. Leave. Now.” The guy said as his gaze was on the other man.

The man looked terrified and ran away. Then the guy who punched him went to me.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“Yeah... I'm okay. Thank you.” I said, a little disgusted and uncomfortable with my wet shirt.

“Uh, here. You don't wanna walk around looking like that.” He said, handing me his grey coat, which was gorgeous by the way. The coat, and the owner of that coat.

“Oh, no. It's okay. You don't have to.” I said, gently shoving it away.

“I insist.” He said as he wrapped it around me himself.

“T- thank you.” I said, a little embarrassed.

"I'm Chris by the way. Chris Vonstein." he said.

“My name's Scarlett Hope...” I said shaking his hand that he offered.

“I really should get going. Thanks again.” I told him.

“Alright. I'll see you around.” He said. I left the book café and walked home. When I went inside, Lexi was already there.

“Oh? I thought you'll be late?” I asked.

“I know. I thought the department store was far from here so I thought Violet and I would be running late. But it was just near the school, lucky us...” She explained.

“Whose coat is that? Is that yours? I don't remember you having that gorgeous coat.” She said as she noticed the coat hanging from my shoulder.

“Oh uhm, someone gave it to me when a guy bumped into me on my way home and spilled my drink all over me.” I said removing the coat, hanging it somewhere. I took my towel and went to the bathroom.

“Scarlett, the furniture is dropping here tomorrow.” Lexi reminded me.

“Got it!”

I was early for class the following day. I intended to go to the book café, take out a few books, and read them on the school grounds. It's been thirty minutes since Lexi departed. I exited the apartment and walked to the bookstore.

“Good morning Mr. Hammock. One mocha frappe for me please.” I told Mr. Hammock at the cashier.

“Alright”

After I received my order and paid for it, I took the book that I was reading last night and took a seat. I finished my drink and went to the counter.

“Hey, Mr. Hammock, can I borrow this book?” I asked.

“Of course. You just need to fill up your name, date borrowed and contact number." He said handing me the paper and pen. I nodded at him and wrote those things.

“Thank you." I said and went to Westford.

I located a place for me to read because I still had some time before class started. I scaled the tree and sat down on a branch. I inserted my earbuds and began to read. The branch wasn't very high, and it was a cozy position.

When it was almost time, I stopped everything I was doing and put my things back inside my bag. I knew I was an idiot when I stepped on the wrong branch to get down from the tree.

“Woaahh!!” I closed my eyes as I felt myself falling off the branch.

“Watch out!” I heard somebody say. I was supposed to land on the ground. instead, I landed on someone. He caught me as I fell.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.4K 696 28
Shyanne Beeker has a hard time being the Omega in her pack. She's practically invisible now, but she has learned to deal with it. When she meets a tr...
163 38 18
When a wolf loses a mate by death their own death is near. Or that's what Marilyn was told growing up. If it was true she should have died two years...
1.3K 39 44
Scarlett Romero has spent her entire life as an ordinary citizen; going to school, getting a job and definitely not killing people in the middle of t...
286K 11.4K 62
"why aren't you scared of me? why do you care for me?" ★・・・・・・★ a girl trained to kill since...