Wanted (In More Ways Than One)

By ShyCourage

When Peter's phone breaks during patrol, he loses all of his contacts. In a twist of fate, rather than textin... More

First, An Authors Note
1. Not Shot, Just Stabbed
2. Texting Brawl
3. School + boredom + nobody else to text = ?
4. A Test? What Test?
5. Walruses and New Personalities
6. Operation Cupcake
7. Clint's in the Loop, Unlike SHIELD
8. Ladies Consider Risking One's Life Hot
9. We All Agree: Peter's a Baby
9 ½. The Teleporting Coffee Pot, Scary Natasha, and Tony Flips
11. What's Sarcasm?
12. He's BaAAcCkK
13. The Spider Disappearing Act
♫ Celebration Time, Come On! ♫
14. Coffee Deliveries and Unbelievable Compliments
15. A Meme War
Uncertain Answers
16. Bullet Wounds and Overprotective "Enemies"
17. I'm TRYING Not To Hurt You!
So Much Support <3
18. Can't I Just Be Left Alone?!
18 ½. Moments Too Beautiful To Actually Delete
19. Yet Another Point In Favor Of Our Spidey
20. Of Course Everybody Knows Spider-Man!
Not a chapter, but a question. Sorry! :)
21. Why Fury's Wrong
22. Shadows on the Horizon
23. Mr. Spider-Man
24. What a Way to Crash a Meeting
25. Physically or Not
I'm Alive! (But Changed)
25 ½. Greg's Alive Too! Yay!

10. The Levels of a Rainbow (Plus Silver and Gold)

41.1K 352 84.1K
By ShyCourage

When the final bell rings I am thrumming with excitement. I have an internship at SI! Aaahhhh!!!

I decide to brave the crowded halls and weave my way to my locker, hoping that if I'm fast enough I can avoid Flash. After putting everything that I don't need in my locker I cross my fingers and rush towards the exit.

When I'm just a few strides from relative safety my Spider Sense rings slightly.

Drat. I grumble, just before I consciously don't avoid the leg that shoots out in front of me. I trip and faceplant on the tile, my backpack thwapping painfully against my back.

The collar of my shirt presses uncomfortably against my throat as I am yanked up. I am slammed against the wall and kneed in the stomach.

I double over in pain, the sharp movement making a drop of red splat onto the tiled floor.

I wipe my wrist against my nose, pulling it away to see a line of blood.

"Hello Flash," I squeeze out.

"Puny Parker," Flash punches me in the stomach, "I thought I told you to stay out of my way and not get the internship. Well guess what? You've failed at both of those."

"Flash, I honestly thought that I wouldn't get-" I am cut off by Flash punching me as hard as he can. I hear my nose break as I crumple to the floor.

Flash glances down the hallway and, seeing no one that would tattle, he starts to kick me, "It doesn't matter does it Parker? You got in either way and you're paying the price. You're worthless. A nobody orphan. Don't ever forget that you deserve this." He gives me one last kick before leaving me on the floor.

So much for avoiding Flash today.

As I lay there, Flash's words start to sink in Maybe I am worthless. I'm Spider-Man for crying out loud and getting beaten to a pulp by a high schooler! So many people I couldn't save.....

Tears pool when I think that last thought.

After lying there for a few minutes I gather up the will-power to push myself up off of the floor, leaning against the wall for support.

Getting a hold of my emotions, I walk to the closest bathroom and look in the mirror. One glance at my nose is all it takes for me to confirm that it's broken. I take a deep breath, steeling myself, before expertly resetting my nose. I guess one of the perks of being Spider-Man is that I'm a pro by now at fixing any type of injury.

After cleaning myself up, I glance at my watch and realize that if I don't leave now, I'm going to arrive late to my first day of the internship.

I rush to the subway and, after claiming one of the hanging handles to keep me in place, a thought strikes me. Aunt May! I didn't tell her about the internship!

I whip out my phone, thankful that the force of my action didn't send it flying out of my hands, and shoot Aunt May a quick text.

Peter

Aunt May!

Guess what!

It turns out that the big test I told you about was for an internship at Stark Industries and I got in!

But the internship starts today so I'll be there till around dinner time.

I hope that's okay.

Aunt May

Thanks for finally remembering I exist and texting me that honey

;)

Peter

Wait...

You knew?!

Aunt May

They asked me for my permission yesterday

Surprise!

Peter

This is one of the best surprises you have ever gotten me

Thanks!

I love you so much!

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Aunt May

You're welcome

Now go kick everybody's butts with your smartness!

I smile and put my phone in my pocket. In no time at all we are pulling up to my stop and I am walking towards the Stark Tower.

"Wow," I breathe out when I step through the doors into the reception area.

After moving to the side, out of the way of the flow of people, I glance around. Where am I supposed to go now?

I awkwardly shift my weight between my feet until my eyes pick out a group of people across from me. Right next to them, taped on the wall, is a sign with one word: Interns.

Picking my way through the crowd, I approach the group containing four other people besides Flash. They all turn around when they see me approach.

"Hi guys!" I wave, "I'm Peter, what's your guys's names?"

One of the two girls pipes up first, "My name's Echo! Nice to meet you." Echo's blonde hair and blue eyes match her blue T-shirt, which seems to be her school's math club jersey.

"I'm Elaina!" The second girl chirps. Elaina also is fair, her eyes a lighter shade of blue while her blond hair is darker. Her T-shirt, which reads "Welding - it's like sewing with fire," makes me smile. Her casual jeans slightly accent her curvy figure and are well worn. Last of all, I notice her slip-on athletic shoes. The left one sports a dime-size hole, which probably formed from hot metal dripping on it.

I respectfully nod my head at the two girls and flash them a smile. They both seem really nice and are the kind of people I really get along with.

"Justin Blaire," Justin shakes my hand and gives me a nod. His mannerism, body posture, and ironed suit scream "politician's son." His eyes flit towards the window, "If you'll excuse me for a moment." He walks out of the front doors and approaches a limo, planning on greeting whoever is inside.

My attention turns back to the group when the last unknown person introduces himself, "I'm Jake." Jake looks more like a jock than a nerd, but I guess appearances can be deceiving.

Approaching My Spidey Sense gently warns.

I turn around and my eyes pick out a man grabbing what looks to be six badges from the receptionist before heading towards our little group. Justin makes it back just as the man arrives at our awkward clump of teenage hormones, "Hi guys! My name's Matt and I'm in charge of y'all. When I read off your name, please come grab your badge."

"Justin Blaire.... Jake Jackson... Elaina Mafall... Echo Minton.... Peter Parker... Eugene Thomson..."

After we all grab our yellow badges, he starts to lead us to a row of elevators. "You guys will be able to use these three elevators," he gestures to them, "these elevators can go up to the highest level labs, excluding Mr. Stark and Mr. Banners personal labs, which are a floor higher."

Jake raises his hand before asking, "Where do the other elevators go?"

Matt looks at the other two elevators, "The one closest to us can only go as high as the floors that contain press conference rooms, meeting rooms, and other offices. People such as the press use that elevator. They can use the other elevators, but FRIDAY won't let them go any higher than what their badge levels have access to. The one farthest from us, goes all the way to the top. But like I said before, FRIDAY won't let anyone go farther than they have access to."

Flash speaks up, a smug smirk across his face, "What are the badge levels? What level will I be when I am the highest intern?"

Since I am standing closest to Matt, I am the only one to notice how much effort he puts into not rolling his eyes, "Your question has a long answer, so you guys bear with me. There are nine badge levels, all with a designated color.

The first level, which has a red badge, are temporary badges. These people are usually tour groups or people here for a certain press conference and/or meeting. FRIDAY personally programs these badges access points. If people are here for the tour group, FRIDAY only gives them access to their tour route. If they are here for meetings, FRIDAY will only give them access to the specific meeting rooms. I think you guys get the gist.

Level Two, Orange, are usually people working on the business end of Stark Industries or are people who regularly come to the Tower for meetings because of their higher positions in their company. These people all have access to the business offices and meeting room levels of the Tower.

The next five levels have practically the same explanation. There are fourteen lab floors in the Tower, which are above the business floors. Above those fourteen floors is a floor designated for Mr. Stark's and Mr. Banner's labs. There are a couple other floors above that, designated for the Avengers or the Stark's personal use. The top floor is where Mr. and Mrs. Stark lives.

Level Three, Yellow, are people who only have access to the lowest tier of labs in the Tower. You guys are all Level Three because you are new interns. If," Matt glances at Flash, "you get promoted, you will most likely become a Level Four.

Level Four, Green, has access to the two lowest lab tiers.

Level Five, Blue, has access to all of the lab tiers but the highest one.

Level Six, Indigo, has access to all four of the lab tiers.

Level Seven, Violet, are the highest ranking people in the non-business areas of Stark Industries. They have access to all of the lab levels, the business levels if their job needs them to have access to those, and the floor designated to Mr. Stark and Mr. Banner. But FRIDAY only gives them access to Mr. Stark and Mr. Banner's personal lab floor when they need it.

Level Eight, Silver, is what the Avengers have, besides Mr. Banner. This level gives access to everything besides Mr. and Mrs. Stark's private levels. But because of some," Matt trails off for a moment, "Uh, incidents, FRIDAY personally programs these badges herself and restricts access to certain things to certain people.

And last of all, Level Nine, which is Gold. Only five people have a Level Nine badge: Mr. Banner, Mr. and Mrs. Stark, the head janitor of the Tower, and Happy Hogan, the overseer of security here at SI. As you guys have guessed, it gives them access to everything in the tower."

For a moment, we are silent, processing this load of information. Echo breaks the silence, "What will we be doing?"

Matt grimaces, "Aaaannd, that gets us to the bad news. The competition that you guys were told about is canceled because of reasons I can't disclose," We all groan in disappointment while Matt continues, "however, you guys still will be building your own personal project. You guys are all challenged to come up with something that will benefit society. Then, in two weeks, one of the higher ups will look at your hopefully finished projects, and, depending on what they think, you can get promoted!"

I am confused at that last word, "Wait, promoted? That suggests that we're getting paid."

Matt glances around at all of us, "You guys didn't know that? I'm surprised no one told you."

Elaina smiles happily, "Well, that's a plus for us!"

Matt chuckles, "Yes, I guess it is."

He leads us to the elevator and we all scan our badges. Everyone but me and Matt jump when, who I assume is FRIDAY, calls out our names as we scan in, "Eugene Thomson, Level Three..." Flash steps into the elevator, "Jake Jackson, Level Three... Justin Blaire, Level Three... Echo Minton, Level Three ... Elaina Mafall, Level Three."

Now it's my turn. I step up and scan my badge. Same as always, FRIDAY announces it, "Peter Parker, Level Three."

Rather than just stepping into the elevator, I glance at the nearest security camera and smile at it, "FRIDAY, please just call me Peter."

FRIDAY gives me a surprised hum, "Very well Peter."

With that interaction done, I step into the elevator.

Matt scans his badge, "Matthew Madsin, Level Six."

He steps inside and an awkward silence fills the elevator until we reach our level. The doors ding open and we all step out.

"This way," Matt waves us to one of the doors and swipes his badge, "This will be your guys's lab.

We look at each other excitedly and all go to pick our work area. I go to one where FRIDAYS camera's can't see what I will be working on. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to work on my Spider-Man tech without the other interns seeing.

After we have all finished gawking at everything and have settled down, Matt says one last thing to us before leaving, "Like I said in the lobby, You guys's job is to build something that will benefit society. You have two weeks. I will be checking in on you guys periodically to make sure you aren't dead. Good luck!" He gives us a wave before exiting the lab.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

167K 5.1K 46
After becoming severely injured on one of his nightly patrols, the city of Queen's vigilante - known as Spider-man - attempts to contact his 'guy in...
49.5K 926 23
Peter Parker accidentally texts the wrong number, which happened to be one of the most powerful avenger and person on the planet. What could go wrong...
343K 11.4K 26
Peter Parker was alone. He never expected to find a home, much less a family after May's passing. He made a promise to himself to never become attach...
184K 5.8K 24
Peter Parker is having a normal day as spiderman, kicking names and taking ass, when he runs into a little trouble and needs to text ned. But then he...