Life of a Hijabi

By PharydahKamal

Naila is a sweet Muslim girl devoted to her beliefs, her dad a wealthy man who is so proud of her decides to... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7

Chapter 1

132 4 1
By PharydahKamal

I sat at the window seat staring at the sky ,amazed at how beautiful nature is. I was completing school in 3 months and I couldn't be calm. It has been stressful but alhamdulilah (thank God). I couldn't be more grateful.
Naila, naila. Leah my little cousin called out. I'm here Leah. She barges in. What do you want I asked her. Mum says you should come downstairs . We are about to pray asr (3:00pm). We lived in quite a large family and we prayed together in a group.
Gosh, it's 3 already. Time really flies. I dashed for my hijab and joined them.
Naila come help set up the table.Mum said to me when I came to the kitchen to grab a bottle of water.
Firdaus my immediate sister offered to help. It was 5 pm and dinner was already served . Yusuf and Jamal rushed out as if they've been keeping an eye on us the whole Time . Yūsuf was the eldest amongst five , and Jamal was the second. Yūsuf had a quite calm personality unlike Jamal who is the exact opposite.
Dad joined. We said a word of prayer in our hearts . And we started eating. Leah who is almost 4 years had her both hand in her food. Put your left hand down. I said to her. "Well in Islam eating with your left hand is not encouraged ".She obeyed but with a frown on her face . Leah is that stubborn little  cousin who has always had her way. We both don't get along.
Firdaus did the dishes while I clean them up and place  them where it should be . Naila, she mentioned calmly. How is ziyad. Has he called you. Yeah he has,I answered. After a while she looked hesitant as if she wanted to say something, go on ask me . I told her .Do you like him. She asked curiously but mostly concerned . Ziyad is the son of my dad's friend who expressed his interest in me. But it was up to me to accept his proposal or not . Dad and mum did not impose it but I know it would make them happy if I did. 
I don't know yet. This is a bit new to me and I don't want to rush it. I added .Yeah that's totally okay and normal . Firdaus said. Ziyad is handsome and cute, haven't you seen his arm, Gosh his masculine features are so hard to ignore , Firdaus teasingly said . Goodness what is wrong with you fii . We giggled as I shook my head.
After maghrib prayer (sunset prayer),I read the Quran in wait for Isha after which I made dua to seek Allah Guidance in this decision that I make.
I sat at the window seat lost in my thoughts, fii wasn't wrong about Ziyad , but that was just his physical appearance. What about his inner self I wasn't abreast with that. I know Ziyad since I was like 4 . His dad brought him along anytime he visited us . We've been friends except for when he left for college. We usually met at our local masjid for Arabic and Islamic lessons. He would bring me home after . We had a good time together once. He was such a sweet and a kind person. The kids at the masjid loved him, he brought them candies anytime he could which earned him the title rujlul halwa (candy guy).
Ziyad had been working in a big time company In the city. The last time he came home to stay was after college. He stayed for about a year . Ever since he comes for a visit and disappears like a flash of light. The last time I saw him , we talked throughout the night such that it was late to go home. He slept in Yūsuf's room.
I dashed for my phone when I heard the notification sound. It was Salma my Elder sister . She was happily married to a business mogul . They had a daughter who is the same age as Leah.
I won't be coming home this weekend Naila. I got caught up with work .Please inform mum and dad . She usually informed me instead in order to escape the lecture our parents were going to give her about visiting parents. Salma comes home every once in a month and if she missed this ,it meant I wasn't going to see her in another month .I smiled at the text but for a moment I was sad because I had a lot of questions I had to ask her. She was my best friend. She helped anytime and she was just a call away. Argh..I rolled my eyes. I laid on my bed responding to a few texts. Ziyad name popped up,He was calling. I hesitated but I slid the button to answer. Salam. Hello , he said with his masculine voice. We spoke for about an hour talking about random issues. I dozed off whiles I left him hanging. I woke up to a goodnight text.

I was in my hostel studying for my last examination.
I really wanted to end very well so I didn't give it a chance. I learnt so hard I was awarded the best graduating student for the course I partook. I was so grateful to Allah for allowing me to experience such great honors. I was so excited. I could hear Jamal and Firdaus scream when my name was mentioned.
They cheered me up throughout the whole event. Dad was so proud he let out a tear. He hugged me and I smiled at him and said thank you for always being there. Yūsuf and mum couldn't make it . Mum had a fractured leg a day before hence she couldn't come . Yūsuf was home to keep her company . The journey to my school was so tedious and I insisted she stayed. Dad sent all the pictures to my uncles and aunts in excitement. Very typical of most parents.
Best graduating student??masha Allah Ziyad sent this via a text. How did he know . I stared at Firdaus and her face gave her out. I squinted and shook my head . If I get hold of you fii!. I said to her .
I was two years older than her yet she refuses to recognize this because she was a little bigger than I was . People usually thought she was older than me.

When we got home . Mum with the help of salma made a delicious meal. When did you arrive . Dad asked salma, she had wanted to surprise me . She brought a cake a along. I cut the cake. Just when I was about eating my piece of it , Jamal splashed his on my face . I pursued him despite dad's yells and screams which we completely ignored.
Days had rolled by so quickly. Salam. Come in ummi (mum) . I knew what she was here for and dad must have pushed her . After beating about the bush ,She finally asked what my decision was? whether I was interested in Ziyad .
I have done a lot of pondering and thinking and I consulted quite a few good people including my close friend Amina and they all gave me their opinion. I also made istikhara (prayer for guidance) countless times and I reached a resolution.
Ummi this has been a tough one for me . But alhamdulilah , with God's guidance I say yes.... yes I want to be married to him . Are you sure , she said with a smile at the corners of her mouth. Completely holding down the excitement . Yes I'm sure . Mum jumped and started dancing. This is ridiculous mum,I laughed out saying . Dad quickly rushed in totally sure he was eves dropping. She said yes dad smiled in happiness and hugged me tight . They woke the others up. Firdaus joined them , she sent a text to the family group "she said yes" with a ring emoji attached. Yusuf and Jamal rushed in as well and joined in the jubilation. I feel so attacked , it's as if they've been talking and praying about this the whole time . I admit I'm a little inflexible and hitchy . But this jubilation is just too much . They completely ignored my feelings and presence.
I sacked them out and locked the door . Come on mrs isa, Jamal teased. Leave me alone. I yelled . Suddenly the was silence. Mrs isa, Jamal whispered again . Gosh I rolled my eyes. Thats enough dad ordered dismissing all of them.
I laid in bed staring at the ceiling. A smile came out of nowhere and suddenly burst into laughter. Mrs isa .thats weird I thought to myself. But I love it . I added . I wallowed in bed thinking about how everything is going to change from now on .

I heard the adzan (call to prayer)it was fajr(dawn) time . I went to the bathroom to preform wudu (ablution). I placed the mat and performed the salah (prayer) . I made dua. After which I read the Quran. I took my phone and went through it. Ziyad had left a good morning text. I replied . I played the audio Quran which was soothing to my ear . It makes me reflect on life and how wonderful God is. I was set to marry this Sunday and I was already getting nervous at the thought of it . Today was Wednesday and I had just a few days to Sunday. Last week the whole family came around including ziyad's. There was a whole merry making. Salma had come home with my niece and her  husband would follow up later. The house was getting busier each day that passes with preparations and my siblings won't stop teasing. I stayed in my room most of the hours.
Mum and Firdaus forced me downstairs to rehearse for the wedding after isha (evening prayer).I was tired after the rehearsal I went up my room. Deeply sinking in my own thought, can I come in salma asked behind the door. She noticed my mood change during dinner . Yeah sure please do . I responded . She hugged me tight. Everything is going to be okay . You'd be that beautiful bride everyone wishes to be .Don't think too much lil sis.she held my hand in hers. I remember Salma's wedding vividly. She was my age now when she got married 4 years ago. Are you happy with kamal, I asked her curiously. Yeah alhamdulilah and I'm grateful for having him in my life . I hope a pray Ziyad becomes the best husband you desire. I smirked. Insha Allah (God willing) you'd be married in a few days just Relax and breath . It's all going to be okay. Thank you . I don't know what I would do without you. I said to her. Yusuf came in whiles Salma exited. We had a long conversation. He cracked jokes and I laughed the whole times . Yūsuf had a great sense of humor and my favorite after Salma . He ended up sleeping on my bed whiles I dozed off in the couch.
I woke up with a text from Ziyad. Good morning Mrs isa. I smirked , not yet I replied , soon and I can't wait he texted back. I'm sure he is very exhilarated today.
I prayed and read the Quran as usual. I descended downstairs to welcome some guest and family. Some relative and friend came from afar so they would sleep tonight and help with all the activity since our house is a huge one.Who said anything about sleep . Today is my last night with my family and I don't think I would be able to even take a nap considering all the excitement and thrills.

I saw a lady come through the gate with a lot of gifts and parcels. Amina , I screamed with happiness. Naila she screamed back. She hugged me . I helped her out with the items.When did you return. Yesterday , she said . Let's go up to my room. I dragged her with me . Amina traveled about a month ago. I was starting to get lonely. She was my tight buddy. Congratulations girl . I am happy for you . Describe him to me. I want to hear all , even the littlest detail. Amina said. I told her what I wanted her to know. (Being a little discreet in Islam is recommended) . Amina and I talked the whole time as we became completely oblivious to time.
The sound of the adhan (call to prayer) alerted us . We quickly performed ablution and then,salah (prayer) . I stood up from the prayer mat. Amina dragged me to sit down and that she had a word of prayer to say for me.
I smiled and shook my head. Okay .

Dear God bless my friend Naila as she is stepping into this new stage of life . Bless and protect her . Guide her and the husband through it all . Grant her heart desires too and make tomorrow one of her best days of her life.
Ameen
We all screamed ameen(amen). Thank you Amina . I hugged her and said I love you . I love you too Naila.

Leah barged in . What did I tell about making Salam. I'm going to knock you on the head one of these days. She laughed as I was totally confused . You are laughing?i asked. Mum said you will be leaving tomorrow. How is that going to happen. We all giggled as I grabbed her and tickled her. Ummi says you should come down for dinner. Leah said calmly. But I'm not suppose to come out till tomorrow, has she forgotten. Tell aunty salma to bring my dinner.

I knew Jamal will offer to bring our dinner,he
wouldn't want to miss the chance of seeing Amina. The door please....Jamal yelled . Amina rushed to do so . It was him holding a giant tray of meals for Amina and I . I notice Jamal stare at Amina. I quickly yank the pillow at him , We both giggled. Get out , I yelled . You don't have to be rude . He has done nothing, Amina said with laughter, defending him . I'm saving you from him but clearly you don't want to be saved . I told her. I threw another pillow at him whiles he exited.
Jamal has grown muscular what is he doing to achieve that. I shook my head in disbelief that she noticed. He started gyming and I hate how he gets lucky with girls . It's as if he sprinkled charm on them. I rolled my eyes . Even you . We both cackled. Amina was spending the night with me. After isha prayers, we sat at the window seat staring into the hood.we were chatting the whole time.Can I join firdaus asked . Come on in . Who is that calling me, fii pass me my phone . It was ziyad. I bet he was going to tease me. Who is it , Amina asked . Pick it up. It's Ziyad, I told them. ooou the both made fun of me . Hello . We spoke briefly. Let me leave you to rest , tomorrow is going to be lot. He said. Goodnight ziyad. I hanged up.
I tossed the pillow at both of them.They tossed it back. Amina and firdaus slept off in the next hour. I covered them with the blanket . I slept partially for a while completely distracted by tomorrow's ceremony . I woke up at 3 and performed tahajjhud (night prayer) asking Allah (God) for the best. I quickly slept off. Amina played audio Quran whiles we slept.

Alhamdulilah for getting this far. Please vote and comment . Chapter two in a bit.

Thank you for your love and support. Allah's rahma(grace)on you all. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171K 16.2K 65
The story of two best friends. AYEZA and NAILA... Their Ego towards their soulmate's EMIR and WAHAB. A blessed couple Ayeza and Emir, having childh...
363K 22.7K 48
(Highest #4 in spiritual on 20th April 2017) It's a romantic love story of a muslim girl, humaira who always dreamt of her gallant prince charm who w...
29.5K 3.9K 28
Nailah Bashir Amin is a free spirited,fun loving,optimistic kind of girl she is sixteen years old and she has a complete happy family of five,includi...
98.4K 6.5K 47
Medina Jahan a devout Muslim girl Jake William white her childhood best friend When they both realise that they see themselves more than just friend...