A New Beginning (Chicago PD)

By MargoSpieg

Laura is a 13 years old girl whose father is a criminal. What will happen to her when the Intelligence Unit n... More

Author's Note
The Characters
Chapter 1: The Beginning
Chapter 2: The arrest
Chapter 3: The Interrogation
Chapter 4: The Point of no Return
Chapter 5: Scars
Chapter 6: The Phone Call
Chapter 7: The Plan
Chapter 8: The Final Step
Chapter 9: Sniches Get Stiches
Chapter 10: The Bust
Chapter 11: Where is She?
Chapter 12: Found
Chapter 13: Wake up
Chapter 14: Nightmares
Chapter 15: I'm here for you
Chapter 17: It's Why I Love You
Chapter 18: A New Family
Chapter 19: Starting Over

Chapter 16: Stay

2.5K 32 4
By MargoSpieg

Hailey's POV

A few days had gone by and Laura was slowly getting better, she was already able to eat and was finally out of the ICU. I got to her room and before going in, I stood outside of the door listening to Jay and Laura histerically laugh, a smile immediatly forming in my face.

"What are you two up to this time?" I asked while I got into the room, placing the dinner bags I was carring in the tray next to Laura's bed.

"I'm getting my ass kicked at a cards game by a teenager." Jay said joking

"It's not my fault that you don't understand the rules." Laura answered him, clearly enjoying the situation.

"So tomorrow is the day you're finally getting discharged." I said while I sat down in a chair next to Jay.

"Yes, it is! I'm sick of being stuck here. Did you talk to the foster family? I haven't met them yet."

"Yeah, so that's what I wanted to talk to you about."

"What do you mean? They didn't change their minds, did they?" She asked putting the cards now, understanding that the conversation was serious.

"No, it's nothing like that. I just wanted to ask you if you'd like to stay in my place for a while, until you get better?" I was nervous, the truth is that I cared a lot about this girl and I would do everything in my power to help her, even if that meant taking care of her.

"Hailey, I can't let you do that. You already have so much to worry about, you don't need me in your life with all of my problems." She said looking down, not wanting to face me or Jay.

"No, listen to me." I said grabbing her hand "I care about you, so does Jay and a lot of other people and right now, the only thing we want is for you to get better, even if it means staying in my place for a while."

"But what about your job? I'm sure you've got more important things to do than babysitting me all day."

"I can take a some days off and when you fell better you could come with me too. Everyone in Intelligence is worried about you and I'm sure they'd love to get to know you better. Besides it would just for some weeks, then we'll find you a nice foster home with a stable family where you can stay. So what do you think?"

"I think I'll stay with you!" She said with a huge smile on her face and then hugged me tight, like her life depended on it.

"Oh c'mon, I think I deserve a hug too!" Jay said joking with us.

"Now you're just being jealous." Laura said hugging him too.

I was trying to fight the tears from escaping my eyes, Laura was finally gonna be happy and live the life she deserves and I could help her do that. All I could think about was me when I was her age, the only thing I wanted was for someone to step up and put my father in the right place, saving me and my brothers from all those years of abuse.

"Alright, enough of this emotional stuff, I'm starving, let's eat!" Jay said oppening the bags with the food in, giving me and Laura our hamburgers and keeping his.

"You like it?" I asked Laura seing how she was enjoying her meal.

"Yeah, it's great thanks! I never used to eat any of this stuff, it was always too expensive and dad said I wasn't worth the price."

Me and Jay were shocked, Laura hadn't even flinched saying that. The abusive behavior her father had was so normal for her, that she couldn't even recognise it anymore.

"Well from now on that changes, you can eat whatever you want." Jay said trying to light up the mood a little.

"Thank you, I really appreciate what you to two are doing for me." She said looking at us with a smile on her face.

"There's nothing you need to thank us for, we're just doing our jobs. We failed you once and that almost cost your life, we won't let that happen again." Jay said squeezing her leg.

We continued to eat our dinner and joke around until a knock on the door was heard and then Dr.Marcel came in.

"Good evening, how's everyone doing?" He asked while he put some gloves on.

"Sick of being here." Laura answered him back before I could even say something.

"Well that's good because I was checking your exams and everything seems to be alright so maybe you can be discharged today."

"Really?" She asked with widen eyes, not believing what he was saying.

"Yeah, everything seems to be in order, I'll just do a quick exam and then you can go. Detective Halstead?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna go get some clothes for Laura to change into, I should be back in a while." Jay said understanding that the doctor was asking him to leave.

Dr.Marcel did a quick exam on Laura, earning himself a few yells and cryes of pain when he removed the IV Laura had in her arm and then concluded that she could be discharged.

"So, how are you feeling?" I asked while I helped Laura putting some clothes on that Jay had brought.

"Better now, I'm not a big fan of needles and I swear that if I hear another monitor beeping I will murder someone." She said putting her pants on and getting out of the bed, supporting her weight in a chair so that she wouldn't fall.

"Hey be careful, you heard the doctor. You can't push yourself too much or you'll end up here again." I said gently grabbing her arm so that she could walk out of the room.

"Yeah, I know. I just feel kind of useless."

"You're not useless, and there's nothing wrong about asking for help."

We got out of the room and Jay was waiting for us in the nurses station, finishing signing the discharge papers.

"Good to go?" Jay asked grabbing the duffel bag with the rest of Laura's clothes that I was carring.

"Good to go!" I aswered him back.

"Then let's do it! The car is parcked in the front."

The ride home from the hospital was fast and quiet, Laura was in the back seat leaning her head against the window and quickly fell asleep with the calm sound of the engine running.

I kept looking at Jay while he drove, his bright blue eyes focussed on the road and his fingers tapping on the steering wheel at the same rhythm as the song on the radio smoothly played.

"Enjoying the view?" He asked with a sarcastic smirk when we pulled into the front of my house.

"You wish! Just help me get her inside."

Jay got out of the car and carefully lifted Laura from the back seat, trying to not wake her up and avoiding touching any of her incisions and still healing injuries.

"Where do I take her?" He asked while we got into the house.

"To Vanessa's room, she's undercover, so she won't be coming home for a few weeks."

Jay took Laura upstairs and I went to the kitchen to make some tea. A few minutes later I heard him coming down and so I went to talk to him.

"What took you so long?" I asked giving him a glass of water because I already knew he hated tea.

"She started to mumble something when I placed her in bed and I just wanted to make sure she was alright."

"And is she?" I asked worried because I already knew how that turned out last time.

"Yeah, she didn't even wake up." He answered bringing the glass to his mouth.

We kept on talking for a while until it got late and both me and Jay started to look tired. He seemed to understand it and so stood up to pick up his jacket and leave the house.

"Well, Laura is asleep in the guest room and you seem to be fine, so I'm gonna go home and tomorrow I'll..."

But before he could even finish his sentence I pulled his neck down and kissed his lips. I wasn't sure if he wanted me to do it and I was starting to regret my action, but then his hands gripped my waist softly pulling me closer to him deepening the kiss.

"Stay."

          .......................................................

AN.: I hope you're enjoying the story, vote and comment if you want and also English is not my first language so feel free to correct any grammatical mistakes, thank you :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 91 10
*Co-Writer: @BrooklynDaniels32 * Sophia Hale spent her entire life surviving. Her father took off before she was born, her mom turned to pills to cop...
52.5K 1.1K 26
Not everyone gets a kick start at life, some people have to work their way up. That's the case for this young girl, who finds herself stuck in quite...
55.9K 735 27
Life with two parents who both just so happen to be detectives is hard, but having a disabled brother makes it even trickier. Sure life is great, an...
28K 398 20
This is a story about the Halstead family. Jay Halstead and Hailey Upton are married and live with their fourteen year old daughter Maddie in Chicago...