The Black Dane : The Fools War

Por Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... Mais

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburðarsonr

So Vows Uncertainty

476 23 2
Por Skipology

Ragnar lay grinning among the leaves, his eyes looking up at deep scratches in the trunk of the tree above him.  Khaana licked away the blood from her fingertips, "I broke every last nail on my hands." she murmured. She cast a lazy gaze down to Ragnar from her perch in the tree branches. 

"Why are you all the way up there in those tiny branches?" he asked peering at her through the darkness.

Khaana side glanced "trying to save some dignity." she murmured.

"It is not a loss of Dignity to enjoy it..." Ragnar mused with a smirk, "Gods and their creatures have had a good hump with us before - it is nothing new." Ragnar laughed. Khaana continued to look away, "just because it has happened before doesn't mean it's a good idea." She sighed.

Ragnar sat up, composing himself and fixing his clothing, "You're lucky you have me to be the cheerful one." He said. Ragnar was in a good mood and nothing was going to wash it away, not even Khaana's usual brooding. "I've got my woman, and with luck will soon have my brother and friend with me on a journey to prepare for an overdue vengeance. Tonight will be a good night." Ragnar nearly sang.

Khaana looked down at him, he had not been paying attention to her, or he would have noticed the pity in her eyes, even in the murky dark left by the early dawn.

"But you are right, they should be here, lets go meet them," Ragnar said. Khaana carefully leaped down from her tree and followed at Ragnar's side. He smiled at her closeness, but she found it hard to look at him.  She would not tell him that she was not to join him, as in the end, all was on pause until Uhtred decided what it is he wanted to do. 

Between the trees to a faint clearing and a fallen log, Khaana spotted Uhtred and Brida, breaking away from Rangar she sprinted to them. 

Hearing the rushed steps, both drew their weapons, however found themselves drawn into Khaana's arms before they could react. "Khaana!, we could've killed you!" Brida gasped. Khaana smirked "you would like to think so wouldn't you?" she said as Brida returned her hug, hiding her face in Khaana's neck. Uhtred remained quiet his eyes trained on the figure behind her. 

Ragnar stood in a locked gaze with Uhtred, "He does not believe me." Uhtred whispered to Khaana as she fussed over them. "He does...it's just-"

"Did you kill my father?" Ragnar asked, Khaana sighed heavily and removed herself from Brida and Uhtred. "No, those stories are lies, Ragnar. Khaana has told you." Brida said quickly. Ragnar's eyes stayed on Uhtred "I will hear it from him, did you kill our father?" he asked the tone in his voice demanding an answer.

Khaana would have cuffed him round the ear for it, had Ragnar's eyes hadn't looked so frightened about the answer. She couldn't remember the last time he'd looked so anxious.  Khaana and Brida huddle around Uhtred waiting quietly, "You need to ask?" Uhtred questioned quietly, "I will hear it." Ragnar repeated, inching closer.

Khaana scowled "oh but the dramatics of men..." she whispered, "Did you kill my family?" Ragnar asked. "he didn't! you've been told - it's all a lie." Brida called out. "I am speaking to Uhtred." Ragnar huffed. "and I am becoming impatient. Osbert, please..." Khaana said, she spoke calmly and rested a hand on Uhtred's shoulder, "there's little he can do to you here." She promised, turning her gaze to Ragnar "He knows he'd need to overcome me to do so."

Uhtred pulled out the blade that Ragnar the Elder had broken years ago during the battle that lost him his birth father. "You believe I could kill our mother, father, sister. if you think I could kill our family," Uhtred tossed the broken sword to the ground and looked Ragnar square in the eyes "Your revenge is just there...take it." He said.

Khaana crossed her arms as she watched the two men expectantly as silence loomed. 

Ragnar exhaled and moved towards Uhtred, "I knew it." He breathed, arms stretched out wide, he brought Uhtred into a tight hug "I had to be sure, but I knew it." he said. "lesson learned of the day?" Khaana asked walking to stand at Brida's side, "Men undervalue the words of their women." She hummed. Brida raised booth brows as a smile inched across her face, "oh?" Brida asked, trying to contain her laughter.

However, Uhtred could not and laughed into the furs around Rangar's shoulders. Ragnar turned to look at Khaana "If that were the case I would listen better." He said, letting go of Uhtred he took Khaana's hand. Khaana looked about confused for a moment, "that isn't how I meant it." She said quickly, snatching her hand away. 

"Come on, It's cold, lets get the fire going." Ragnar urged.

Khaana felt oddly content in the company of the trees as she watched Ragnar, Uhtred and Brida carry on happily. She sat quietly by the fireside skinning a rabbit, listening to Ragnar tell them of his adventures over the years. Glancing up for a moment, Khaana caught a sad glimmer in Uhtred's eyes and she knew.

Uhtred caught Khaana in a long gaze, she gave him a slow nod and reached for the small pouch she kept tied to her hip. She peered inside at what few treasures she had and sighed. It wouldn't be enough to make amends for what she would need to do next.

She studied Brida, and under her stare, Brida could hardly look he rin the eye. "oh, pup..." Khaana thought to her. Brida sniffled and went to add more rabbit meat into the stew. "I am fine, Khaana," Brida murmured, taking a seat next to her. "No, you're not-"

"Yes. yes, I am. There was nothing that could be done, I knew it - when I felt different." Brida said, her voice distant. Khaana gave Brida a hard gaze "There is still something you are not telling me." She said. Brida glanced at her but said nothing. "Only that I am tired..." Brida sighed, leaning over to rest her head on Khaana's shoulder. 

Khaana being dissatisfied gave a long sigh, still, she let Brida rest against her, and went back to skinning rabbits. Losing a child, even if not a full child was one of the most exhausting affairs there is. She wouldn't push her, the time they had left together she would make it as comfortable as possible.

Ragnar finished telling the tale most of the Danes were told regarding Uhtred and the death of Ragnar the Elder. Uhtred watched Ragnar mortified, "I would nev- It was Kjartan." Uhtred said, pain and anger in his words. "He attacked, and set the fire." He said again.

Ragnar slowly lowered his waterskin, wiping away the stray droplets from his beard, the news seemed to not set well with them. He looked at Khaana who gave a silent nod, "If we could have saved them, we would have." Uhtred added. Ragnar shook his head, He could it all over Uhtred's face that he spoke the truth, "I knew, I couldn't believe a word of what I was hearing. Nothing of it made sense." Ragnar said quietly. 

Uhtred smiled and looked to Brida happily as she gave a tired smile of her own, "We've got Ragnar's wealth. We kept it for you." said Uhtred. Khaana chuckled inwardly as she watched Uhtred into the little wasp Ragnar remembered. scampering around the feet of the man who became his brother, looking for a reason to make him proud.

Ragnar took a moment to look over them, Uhtred and Birda had gotten so big. they hardly stood as tall as his elbow when he had left and now? Uhtred stood at a height where he could nearly look directly into Ragnar's eyes, Brida only a few inches shorter than Khaana and both young fighters looked strong.

"You've gotten so grown." Ragnar laughed, it felt a little silly to say as he watched Brida cuddle next to Khaana as if she had still been small. But it was still the truth.

"It has been a long time, but they have also been big for a long time as well. They grew up like wolves." Khaana added, pulling a leaf out of Brida's hair. Brida looked up at Khaana and smiled, that smile turned into a tearful grin as she between the three of them and her heartfelt at home.

"Within my dreams, I have seen this moment. this very moment, so many times," she said. It was going to be over, this Saxon nightmare. Ragnar was back, they were all together he would take them to a place where they could gather the men they needed to take on Kjartan, she would charge into battle the avenge their family and tear into those that betrayed them with Khaana and her hounds. It was so vivid in her mind, they would do it together the four of them.

The day was spent among the trees, recounting old stories of the past, remembering the family. Khaana told stories of what it was like to watch Brida and Uhtred grow up, and they shared stories of how they learned to fight, as well as humorous tales. Uhtred and Brida sat side by side, "I bet he is tied to her apron strings." Ragnar chuckled quietly. "he very much is...you can guess which part is tethered." Khaana added in with a smirk as she looked at Uhtred and Brida. "I- am not." He said.

Brida smirked at him "You are." she said smugly, as Ragnar laughed Uhtred narrowed his eyes, "You would know the feeling well wouldn't you?" Uhtred asked him, Ragnar simply smiled and shrugged, "Khaana does not wear aprons, and my prick can't be tied to anything," he said with a chuckle. Turning to look at Khaana he gave her a warm gaze and lightly tugged at a lock of her hair, "But we are bonded, and she might not know it. But this creature here is my destiny." Ragnar said.

Khaana couldn't look into his eyes his stare on her was heavy making her chest squeeze in around her heart like a vice. "Destiny is all." Uhtred mused trying to hide a smirk. "Quiet, Osbert." Khaana snaped with a scowl. "You're cheeks are red." Brida chuckled.

Khaana's eyes thinned into a glare "they are not you cannot see my face in this darkness." she growled. "I am right here, I can see well," Ragnar said moving his face closer to hers. Khaana's glare became sharper as she sat nose to nose with Ragnar. His eyes crinkled into a smile as he looked at the subtle red tint to her face. "and you are turning red." He added deepening his voice.

"I'm too old to blush, fool." She muttered. "You are too proud to blush, but you're still doing it." Uhtred laughed. "back up or I will bite you." Khaana warned Ragnar softly, He smirked, "Do it, and see what trouble it will get you into." He replied. Khaana rolled her eyes and lightly shoved him away. Ragnar laughed, "I missed messing with her." He admitted.

Light talks continued for a while until silence fell between the small family. Though it was a comfortable one, Ragnar added more tinder to the flames and sighed. "I never believed Kjartan's lie..." He sighed. "they why not go for him? why take so long to return?" Brida asked. Ragnar scanned the tree faces watching him and carefully took his seat back at Khaana's side.

"Because he is Lord Kjartan now." He said his voice deflated he gave a half-hearted shrug. "There is not much I could have done. He has three times the men as well as the ear of Ubba." Ragnar said, Uhtred looked down He couldn't say he was surprised, Kjartan was crafty and had been one of Earl Ragnar's most trusted warriors for a reason.

 Ragnar shook his head as he watched the fire dance about, "when I kill him, it will need to be planned." he said. Uhtred looked up at him "when we kill him." He said, Ragnar gave Uhtred a small smile, "it will be dangerous" Ragnar warned. "It must be done," Uhtred replied, looking Ragnar square in the eye.

Brida gave a nod, "Ragnar we are with you." Brida said. 

Ragnar looked up Khaana with shimmering eyes a smile growing on his face he turned to look between Uhtred and Brida. "Then you will sail with me?" He asked. Khaana looked to the fire, "I will." Brida offered, she took Uhtred's hand and brought it to her lap and she looked at him expectantly. "I have sworn to Alfred." He said. Brida shook her head and said matter of factly, "It means nothing."

Khaana could feel her body cringe as the air became heavy, she felt Ragnar reach out his hand to take hers, and his grip was crushing. He knew what this meant. Uhtred turned to Ragnar, unsure of what to say, "well if you have sworn..." Ragnar exhaled, He gave a bitter smile in a way he was proud, "You must keep your word." He said. 

Ragnar gave Uhtred a pat on the shoulder before he got to his feet, heading for his horse. Brida snatched her hand away from Uhtred, giving him palm a frustrated punch she cursed silently. Uhtred quickly got to his feet, "I need this revenge like I need water, Ragnar!" He called after his brother. "When the time is right, I swear I will be with you," Uhtred promised. 

"I know," Ragnar stated simply, a smile on his face hidden in the darkness away from the fire. He looked to Khaana to groaned inwardly, she got to her feet and went to follow him to his horse. She wasn't looking forward to this conversation but it would also be a chance to give Brida and Uhtred some time to talk.

Ragnar listened to her feet dragging across the ground, his bitter smile grew smaller as she stopped at his side quietly. "You don't have to speak...I already know." He said. Khaana stood ill at ease, "You would not leave him when he was a child surrounded by my father, mother, sister, and kin. I know you would not leave him now with no one." Ragnar added.

Khaana still found she had no words for him, maybe it was the break in his voice or the fact that this time, he was the one who couldn't look at her. "Why didn't you tell me before?" He asked. "I did not know before," Khaana answered quickly if only to cut through the silence. She released a long sigh and stepped closer resting her palm to his back. "It was up to Uhtred. I was taken - I did not know what choice he had made in the time I was gone. I could have gone different, he could have chosen to go with you now, he could have not sworn himself." She said carefully.

"I made a promise, which still stands, and then I made another. I told that boy I would see him through this. He can't do this alone." Khaana said, "He will have Brida." Ragnar reasoned. "No he won't. Brida is miserable here in this place. Her heart is Dane and that is left here for her is pain." Khaana voice faintly trembled, "She cannot stay here, Ragnar." Khaana said. 

Ragnar turned around and looked into Khaana's eyes, leaning forwards he planted his lips to her brow and let his hands trace down her head, flattening her air, to rest on her shoulders. "Your loyalty is one of the reasons why I won't get you go." He murmured. "In hopes at when it is time, you will raise my pups just as well as you have these two strays." He added. Khaana's hands gripped the sides of his torso. "You will see him through this and then you both will join me. You will come back to me." he added. "the bond won't let you wander." Ragnar said, though, he said it more to himself.

"I will, but only if you take Brida with you. Keep her safe, keep her happy." Khaana said, she looked into Rangar's eyes, "Here is has lost her mother, two homes, a life and...." Khaana looked to Uhtred and Brida as they talked she could see Brida's face in the firelight, tears shining in her eyes. 

Khaana closed her eyes, "She will not be happy with me for the choice I will make. I could never choose between them. However big she may be she will always be just a girl to me, and in her heart, she is still small. Protect her, Watch her, and see she is well as I would. If you can do that more me, When my tasks here are done," Khaana stepped closer to Ragnar resting her head against his chest, "Then I am yours." She said quietly, "But you must pass this test. If you fail to keep her safe - I will spurn you and our bond will be severed forever. Even should I never see my redemption?" Khaana vowed.

Ragnar smiled to himself, wrapping his arms around Khaana he nuzzled his nose into the part of her hair and took in the scent of the forest around them that had found a home in her hair. He pulled her closer "Is that all it takes? and here have I been battling to gain wealth and legend - I will watch over her with my life." He said quietly. his hands tangled under her hair as he rubbed her back. "I will wait, for you to join me, both of you. We will take all Kjartan has and send him to the mists. We will find your wings, and you will fly above to guide my sails to a land for which we are our sons can conquer and make a home." Ragnar said, as he spoke he seemed to be in a far-off place.

Khaana closed her eyes, so deep in her lies that she felt soon she would forget they were just that. "So stay as you need to...but you are destined to me. I will come for anyone who tries to take that away." Ragnar warned.

Meanwhile, Uhtre'd eyes started to well with tears as he watched the look of disbelief and pain on Brida's face. Tears had already sprung into her eyes as she looked at him. "I'm about to let you go, lose you and I can hardly believe it." He said he rested his forehead to hers, "You have been, half my life," He spoke softly, gently holding onto her. He wanted to feel her close to him, "and all of my madness." he chuckled taking her face into his hands he let his thumbs caress her cheeks.

As much as Brida wanted to say, all words were stolen from her. There weren't any made that she could use to speak for the growing despair. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Uhtred planted little kisses across Brida's face, she closed her eyes and took them in, she wanted to hate him. Yet with every kiss she found, she simply couldn't and he was making this harder than it already was. Drawing in a deep breath she pushed him away from her, but her eyes remained closed. She didn't want to see the tears in his eyes or reveal the tears in her own.

If he was going to be this stupid, she didn't need him. Not now.

Opening her eyes she looked into his,  Uhtred carefully backed away releasing her face, "Be happy." he wished her quietly. Brida said not a word and walked past him heading for Ragnar and Khaana.

Khaana tried to pull away from Ragnar, though he tightened his grip, "linger a while." he whispered, "Let me take you in."

Khaana sighed and gently pried herself away from him. resting her hands at the sides of his tace she let her fingertips trail down to his chin, and lightly guide her face down to hers. Ragnar exhaled into her as they kissed, slow and soft,  Khaana allowed his tongue to feel her mouth, to memorize it. she held him, letting her hands wander down his body so he would remember the heat of her fingertips. Her hands found his hair and he could feel her nails lightly brush against his scalp, enough to make him shiver. 

Ragnar broke the kiss and hid his face in her neck, breathing deep he took in her scent, he had asked for her to linger, but it was no mercy for him. He gave her one last squeeze, Khaana gasped as his arms around her back, it cracked painfully. he placed a rough kiss on her neck and let her go. Looking down at her as she stepped away he gave a firm nod. "I won't fail you, You've my word. Safe and happy is how I will keep her." Ragnar vowed.

Khaana gave him a smirk before turning to leave him, halfway she met Brida, who search her eyes and scowled. "no." Brida demanded. "We cannot leave him alone." Khaana said. "no, no it's his choice let him wallow in it!" Brida barked. "Brida." Khaana sighed, wrapping her arms around the girl. Brida took deep breathes and wrapped her arms around  Khaana holding onto her shoulders, peering behind her to Ragnar who watched over them.

Brida let out a soft growl and shoved Khaana away as hard as she could. "You will always choose him. you never, cared about me." she spate. Khaana stumbled slightly, narrowing her eyes she took Brida's arm and pulled her back into a hug, and she held her there. Brida beat her hands against Khaana's back. "You're strong Brida, you can make it without me. I haven't chosen anyone, You don't need my protection you have outgrown me." Khaana said her words steady and calm. Brida pushed again, and Khaana released her. Khaana reached into the pouch on her hip and pulled out a silver pendant with a cleat glittering stone in its center, the pendant hung from a crude string of worn black rope that was soft to the touch. 

Khaana took Brida's hand though she fought, and plopped the necklace in her palm. "It is of silver...and a very precious stone. It is all I have left of my mother and has seen me through many trials. Take it, keep it or sell it should you need. It is the last thing I can give you." Khaana said backing away from Brida. Brida went to Ragnar and threw the necklace to the dirt, "for all you have given to me." Khaana murmured.

Ragnar watched as Brida climbed onto her horse, he sighed and went to pick up the necklace out of the dirt and tucked it safely within his clothes. "I will see it kept safe, she will regret not having it later." He thought to Khaana, who gave a nod.

Khaana watched Ragnar mount his horse, and lead Brida away. Khaana sighed and closed her eyes, her core shook and trembled with a sorrow that was not her own. Turning she headed back to the dying fire. In the quiet she watched Uhtred weep, he'd yet to take notice of her. "Osbert, enough now." She called, Uhtred looked to her, and tried to draw in his tears. "You've work to do. you've made Ragnar a promise. This won't be for nothing." Khaana said carefully.

Uhtred stood up and with a last sniffle gave her a nod. Khaana walked closer "serve your time, get it done, but if you must be here, use Alfred in every way you can. Kjartan's head is yours as is Bebanburg. Fight the king's wars, bring him victory, and use what you learn to claim your own victories." Khaana said.

Uhtred gave another nod, "good boy, now let's go. I feel we are both weary." Khaana said.

When morning came again, Khaana with Uhtred and Leofric went to a meadow that overlooked the sea. Khaana could see the flags of the ships slowly sailing farther away. she hopped down from Uhtred's horse and ventured further out into the grass, the wind was flying towards the sails, and she let her feet follow. Running, the stumps of her wings trying to carry her off the ground in vain.

Ragnar looked up from his ship, going to the stern his eyes searched the cliffside behind them hopeful. But saw nothing. releasing the stern's figurehead he went to turn his back,  a familiar presence covered him like a cool rain. Ragnar smiled and looked over his shoulder.

Khaana stood at the cliffs, "Unharmed go forth, and unharmed return, unharmed back home. May the Gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places you must walk. Avoid the beating wings of twin ravens and hungrily go with the hounds of Vithrir." Khaana thought o him. 

Ragnar closed his eyes "If ever you need me, the shades will howl, and go forward." Khaana said. Ragnar nodded. Brida watched the distant figure on the cliffs from the front of the boat, where she sat talking among the shieldmaidens. She knew well who it was and threatened to smile.

"She's gone then, I take it?" Leofric asked as he got down from his horse with Uhtred to stan din the meadows, seeing off the ships. They were to report the departing of the Danes to Alfred, but he knew they were also there for a more personal reason. Uhtred did not answer, "and I take it that Alfred is the reason you are still here, and you the reason she is still here." Leofric added.

Uhtred squinted, "I sold myself, I sold us for mail coat and helmet." Uthred spoke with a dry tongue. "That's what we do innit? we sell ourselves." Leofric said casually, looking out to the sea, he watched the wind lift Khaana's hair, how still and tall she stood a dark figure against the bright sun and endless horizon. She took one last step forward, her bare feet hovering in the edge of the cliffside, with no fear of falling. After all, those who have already plummeted from great heights have little to fear from lesser falls.

"This year, what you are giving to Alfred; understand, it isn't about a mail coat. It is about you." Leofric said looking down at Uhtred. "That bastard thinks didn't I say it?" He added. The two men watched the sea, "He wants more than your service, He wants you to help take back England, all of it." Leofric sighed. Uhtred looked at him and listened, "Of course, after the year is up. You'll both be able to return to the Danes. That would at least give me the chance to kill you." Leofric said a playful smirk tugging at the corner of his mouth.

The men had not noticed Khaana watching them, her head tilted at the small smile Leofric had caused to show on Uhtred's face, their words carrying softly on the wind to her ears. " but what would you be, who would you be?" Leofric asked.

Uhtred's smile fell as he struggled to fight back to urge to cry yet again.  Khaana went to them, she leaned up and rested her forehead of Uhtreds, closing her eyes she gave a hint of a smile. "You will always be Osbert...to me, and his future was and is wide open. Alfred doesn't decide that. Only you can." Khaana thought to him.

Leofric watched the silent exchange, "now you don't know who you are. Someday you will learn." she whispered. "you will, and then you will never be lost to anyone. because it won't matter." Khaana said. Uhtred hugged her, his eyes trained on the vanishing flags at sea.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
48.4K 1.1K 34
The day Uhtred murdered Skade, he had no idea she had a family. Someone who loved her. An older sister who adored her. Sigyn had heard rumours from s...
Beinlausi Por Jennifer Choate

Ficção histórica

2.1K 56 16
His own blue eyes sought her out with a vengeance daily and without fail. For weeks now since she had been captured as a slave and sold into the Quee...
604K 9.7K 51
Just a few little imagines. Add a little bit of oneshots. May include a bit of Hvitserk, who knows. Maybe throw in some of Heahmund. I will be accep...