Control ▸ Ron Weasley [2]

Galing kay fleetwoodmcs

If there was one thing Konstantinova Nott would never do, it was let anyone in enough to break her. Until Ron... Higit pa

CONTROL
EPIGRAPH
PROLOGUE
I. MALFOY AND NOTT
II. FLAIR FOR DRAMATICS
III. DEFENSE AGAINST A PROMISE
IV. ROOM OF NOVA NOTT'S REQUIREMENTS
V. A TWIN CONNECTION
VI. LONELINESS
VII. SHIFTING FOCUS
VIII. THE GRYFFINDOR COMMON ROOM
IX. PRIVATE CONVERSATIONS
X. A VERY WEASLEY CHRISTMAS, PART ONE
XI. A VERY WEASLEY CHRISTMAS, PART TWO
XIII. NOW YOU SEE ME
XIV. NOW YOU DON'T
XV. COMING OF AGE
XVI. RESOLUTION

XII. WHERE GOOD GOES TO DIE

15.2K 769 983
Galing kay fleetwoodmcs

CHAPTER TWELVE:
WHERE GOOD GOES TO DIE
▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      After a rough night of sleep and lots of threatening to Fred and George that if they didn't Apparate her back to the flat she was going to quit, Nova spent the actual day of Christmas in the shop. Fred had seemed to sense she was being serious (even though she'd also be homeless, but he didn't doubt she'd work out the logistics later) and told Molly that Nova wasn't feeling well and he had to take her home. Right before they'd Apparated, Weasley had sent her a look she didn't care to decipher, and then the world had gone all blurry.

      Fred had returned to The Burrow for Christmas lunch, but Nova was content to be alone in the shop. She swept, mopped, and dusted. The twins would be ecstatic when they came back, mostly because for the most part, they were too lazy to do that stuff themselves. She and Verity usually got stuck with the brunt of the cleaning. When she was done, however, she realized she had only wasted about two hours and frustratingly flung herself into the seat behind the register, putting her elbow on the counter and her chin in her hand.

      She had no doubts spending the day with the Weasleys would be wonderful. Molly had given her some tea and soup to take home and had even knitted her a new sweater, this one a beautiful pink color with a bright orange 'N' on the front. She had been a little embarrassed that she had given Nova the same gift the year before, but Molly couldn't have known how much it meant to Nova. So she had given the Weasley matriarch the biggest hug she could muster and expressed how much she loved it.

      But she couldn't face Ron. Not after the night before. After everything that had been confessed.

      He just didn't realize. He had time to think the breakup through. He'd had time to fall out of love with her. When he ended things...she had been head over heels. She had to train herself to get over him. She couldn't imagine dating anyone else like he was dating Lavender.

      Later that afternoon, when she had eaten some food Molly had sent home with her and she had done some inventory for the twins, she saw Blaise's owl outside of the shop's door. She hurriedly rushed over to him to let him inside, giving him some treats that Fred and George kept behind the counter for all of their owl orders. He perched patiently on top of the cash register, waiting for Nova to give him a reply to send back to Blaise.

      Theo had stopped signing his full name in the few letters he found time to send. It was easier, he said, for her to deny they were from him should they be intercepted. He instructed her to burn each letter after she received them, but she did so with a numb feeling inside. She should be saving his letters, holding them close. She ran her fingertips over his words, tracing Draco's name with a sigh heavy on her lips.

      Draco. What was she going to do about him? How could she convince him that this wasn't the way? That he'd been led astray, just like Theo had?

      But could he even say no to the Dark Lord?

      Blaise's owl blinked expectantly at her. "It's alright," she said softly to him, petting his feathers. "You can fly back. I can borrow an owl should I reply."

      He seemed to understand well enough, for he hooted softly and flew to the door, perching on the staircase and waiting for her to open it so he could fly off into the afternoon sun. She watched him for a few moments. There were significantly less people in Diagon Alley than she was used to, but the number had only been dwindling. Ministry of Magic posters covered most of the windows that weren't boarded up, and people scurried along in the streets because they didn't want to linger. Diagon Alley looked dull and dark, something she never thought could happen.

      A mother grabbed both of her children's hands, holding them tightly as she took them to the Magical Menagerie. On a normal day, Nova assumed the mother would treat her children to ice cream at Fortescue's, but it had long since been boarded up and closed down. There was a man with a cap on his head, hunched over as he made his way into the Daily Prophet office. And then there was a towheaded teenager, looking around at the shops before he pulled open the door to Obscurus Books.

      Nova started when she realized it was the boy she had just been thinking about.

      Without thinking, she locked up the shop and rushed after Draco, not caring that the lingering people on the street looked at her like she was barmy. She let her feet carry her to the bookstore, flying past the closed up shops. Obscurus was one of the ones that had remained open, but even then, they had changed their hours and were only opened certain days. A schedule Draco happened to have memorized.

      She crashed into the bookstore with the grace of a hippogriff in a tea shop. But it caught Draco's attention.

      "Nova?" he asked incredulously. "What are you doing here?"

      She hooked her thumb somewhere behind her. "I was in the shop. I saw you."

      His face went dark. "Ah. I see you're still taking your ridiculous job of a bodyguard seriously, then."

      Nova glared. "I wanted to make sure you were alright. We didn't exactly leave each other on good terms last time we spoke."

      "Yes, because you're butting into things you don't need to be butting into!" he angrily scolded. He reached up to adjust his tie, like the thing was strangling him.

      "Because I'm trying to help you! So shut the bloody hell up and tell me what book you need so we can leave and talk like normal people."

      His shoulders deflated, like someone had squeezed the anger out of him. "It's a book about Vanishing Cabinets and the spells they can ward off. Be useful and look, then."

      Had he not turned away, he would have caught her indignant look in his direction. It seemed that becoming a Death Eater hadn't improved his mood. She didn't expect it to, but still, she was offering to help. He could have been a little nicer about it.

      She gave him reprieve because if she were in his situation, she wouldn't be the kindest either.

      The two of them scoured the shelves of books. There were lots about magical objects, but whenever Nova looked in the index and tried to find Vanishing Cabinets, there were no mentions of them. Draco became more and more frustrated when she looked over at him, pulling on his tie and sweat beading on his forehead. She wondered if he had a deadline for his helping the Dark Lord. Should she carry out the task of looking for the book so he didn't fall further to the dark side? Or would that just end in his ultimate demise?

      "I saw your father yesterday," he said suddenly. Nova stopped turning the pages of her book and stared at the words written down, blending together with her unfocus. "We visited Azkaban. Father is...he is to receive the Dementor's Kiss in June. Three days after my birthday."

      Her heart shattered in her chest for him. The damage was too great between she and her own father for her to mourn him, but Draco...she knew there was little else Draco revered more than Lucius, misguided as that respect was. And no seventeen year old boy should have to bury his father after he turned of age. That was something that should be celebrated. "I'm sorry, Draco."

      "Your father will receive the kiss as well." She had expected as much. Edgar Nott would not get away with his actions at the Ministry, just like Lucius Malfoy wouldn't. Draco picked up a book and nonchalantly asked, "Will you mourn?"

      Would she mourn? He knew the answer to the question, but perhaps he felt as if he needed to hear the answer again to confirm what he already suspected. She set the book back on the shelf, knowing she wouldn't find anything about Vanishing Cabinets in that particular tome. "No," she whispered, shaking her head. "Not like you will."

      He scoffed, aggressively slamming the book he was holding shut. "Of course not. I've forgotten of who I'm speaking to. Where your loyalties lie."

      "My loyalties certainly do not lie with a man who hurt Theo. Who hurt me. I'm sorry I can't offer more than that, but I refuse to feel guilt over what I can't help." Still, she reached out and took his hand in hers. He twisted it around, lacing their fingers together and staring down as if he couldn't believe it. Here Nova Nott was, holding his hand, the one thing he'd wished for in his nearly seventeen years of knowing her. But...it wasn't enough this time. He dropped her fingers, seeing her shift uncomfortably at the dismissal. "I'm sorry about how you're suffering."

      All he could offer was a shrug. "I'll make do. I always do. The Dark Lord needs me now. My father can't help from prison. It's up to me now."

      "I wish you wouldn't be so glib about your life, Draco. There's so much more out there for you. So much light."

      The look on his face warned her that he was going to say something cutting and cruel. Nothing could have prepared her for the words, however. He'd never used them on her. His insults had always been okay, something she could forgive and forget because she knew he was in pain and stressed. But these words...Nova knew it was not one of those times. "Light? What, like watching Weasel snog the living daylights out of someone else while you pine like a useless little nymph? That's not more, Nova. That's less. With the Dark Lord, I can feel powerful. You'll just continue to feel unwanted."

      It was silent between them. She, waiting for him to take the words back. He, waiting for her to respond. When it was obvious neither option would unfold, Nova tried to keep her lips from trembling. Never before had Draco hurt her in this way. She'd never thought him capable.

      "Congratulations, Draco," she said softly, in a voice barely above a whisper.  He stared at her with a hard look in his eyes, one that had never been there before when he looked upon her. She must have taken it for granted, the way he used to look at her. The way he'd trusted her judgement and friendship (or as close to friendship as she could give) without prompt. "You've finally done it. You've broken my heart like I broke yours."

      "I can't break something that isn't there, Nova."

      That was the final nail in the coffin. Her body felt weary, like she was going to fall over with just the slightest breeze. All of the emotions she had felt last night, seeing Ron so happy with his family but still feeling so heartbroken herself. Seeing Bill and Fleur so in love, seeing the twins giving her encouraging smiles because they didn't know how much she was in pain. Hearing Harry question where her loyalties lied and not being able to tell him the truth. Sure, she'd fought in the Ministry with him, but what was she doing at that very moment? Helping Draco Malfoy perform a task for the very person trying to end Harry's life.

      She turned and walked out of Obscurus, the door slamming gently behind her.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      A few days after New Years, in which Fred and George let off a spectacular round of their patented indoor fireworks that Verity and Nova had enjoyed, Nova was back at Hogwarts. The school had set up a secure Floo channel for students to return, but it led Slytherin students to Snape's office, which was the only drawback. When she took the Floo powder and said goodbye to the twins and Verity, Fred had called something out like "say hello to greasy-haired Snape for us!" before she had thrown the powder down. She arrived in Snape's office laughing.

      "Miss Nott," he said, giving her a once over in a very bored manner. "I trust your holiday was well-spent."

      She shrugged. After her disastrous day with Draco, looking for books about Vanishing Cabinets, she hadn't ventured out of the flat much. "It was fine."

      He simply nodded at her, not bothering to offer her any words. She left his office, happy to get out of there.

      Theo was waiting behind one of the statues, grinning as soon as he saw her. "Nova!" he exclaimed in a whisper. In seconds, she was wrapped up in his arms and he lifted her off her feet. She could barely contain the scream of protest she let out before she was back on her feet again. "How was your Christmas?" he asked, dodging the punch she sent in his direction.

      "Spent with the twins. How about yours? I have your gift in my trunk." She had decided to get him lots of books about Healing. She didn't know if him being a Healer was a possibility anymore, but she would be damned if she didn't encourage him to follow his dreams. "How was Blaise?"

      She'd never seen her brother blush as much as he did when Blaise was mentioned. "Blaise was wonderful. And Christmas was fine. You got my letter?" At her nod, he frowned. "Draco is off, Nova."

      "I know. I ran into him at Diagon Alley and he basically told me I was useless." The words still stung her tongue to say. Rare were the nights where she didn't think about what Draco said in Obscurus. They were all she seemed to think about, running through her head.

      Theo looked murderous. "I'll kill him. Stupid prat is getting on my last nerve."

      "Don't kill him on my account. What is this task that you and Draco must do? Is it..." she trailed off, giving him a meaningful look. He would be able to decipher what she meant. Was this a task for the Dark Lord?

      He nodded grimly. "I can't tell you much. Draco was supposed to look for books on the subject this break."

      "I know. Vanishing Cabinets. I was helping him look."

      Theo gave her a wide-eyed look. "What? No, Nova, I don't want you helping us look for anything. It's bad enough we're involved in this, I don't want you getting involved in this, too."

      "You're my twin, Theo. I'm involved."

      His hands came up to grip her shoulders. "But Nova...you have a choice. I want you to have that choice. You've made friends with Potter and his gang of Gryffindors. I don't like them, but you do. You've made more friends in this past year than I've ever seen you have and I'm happy for that. I don't want you to ruin that because of Draco. And especially not because of me."

      He just didn't understand. Yes, she had become friends with Potter and the Gryffindors. Yes, she had been in love with Ron Weasley and lived with the twins. But the only person she had left to ruin herself for was Theo. He was the only one left that she would sacrifice her happiness for in that way. And if helping Theo and Draco was beneficial to Dumbledore, like he said it would be, then that was what she had to do. It was the most selfless and selfish choice she could have ever made. "Theo," she said seriously, reaching up to put her hand over his. "I'm doing this. I'm choosing you. I didn't last time, and I didn't speak to you for months. I'm helping, if you need me. I won't associate myself with the Death Eaters, but if I can remove your burden, I will."

      It was the final nail. Just like Draco's words had cemented her relationship with him to be forever changed, these words cemented that Nova was no longer truly good, like she'd built herself up to be the past year. She would help Theo in whatever he needed her to do. If there was ever a chance of Harry and his friends looking at her in the same way, it was over now. Maybe that was for the best. Maybe Remus Lupin had been wrong. Sirius Black had left his evil behind, but maybe she couldn't. Maybe this was all she was meant to do.

      Theo shook his head. "He...he won't love you again if you do this. You know that, don't you?"

      She knew they were no longer talking about Draco. The words felt hollow in her body. "I know," she whispered. "I know. But he wouldn't love me again, anyway. I can't keep waiting for something that won't happen."

      Before Theo could answer, another Slytherin student walked out of Snape's office, having just Floo'd in. It was a third year Nova didn't recognize, but he gave the two of them a weird look for lurking about in the hallway before he scurried off. It was a reminder to the Nott twins that the best place to have the conversation taking place probably wasn't a corridor. Theo gestured his head in the direction of the Common Room. "Go. I'll come by later."

      "Okay." She squeezed his hand before she grabbed her trunk and made her way to the Common Room. Daphne and Astoria were sitting on one of the couches when Nova entered, and the sight of them was so welcome that the breath nearly left Nova's lungs.

      "Nova!" Astoria shouted, jumping up from the couch and rushing over to where Nova stood. "Hope you had a good Christmas break. I finished reading that dragon book, so Daphne put it in your dorm to borrow. Oh, and did you see Blaise this break? I bet he looked super dashing in whatever Christmas shirt he wore. I think maroon would look wonderful on him, don't you?"

      "Let her breathe, Stori," Daphne said with a roll of her eyes. She seemed happier than she had been in a while. Maybe she was finally starting to get over her breakup with Theo. "It's nice to see you, Nova. Stori and I brought you back some homemade blueberry coffee cake. The house elf is known for his recipe."

      "Careful eating it, though. It'll go straight to your arse."

      "Stori!"

      Nova didn't think it was possible after her conversation with Theo, but a laugh escaped. "I'll eat it with caution, then. My break was good. Quiet. How was your Christmas break?"

      Daphne shrugged. "It was fine. Quiet, like yours."

      Astoria rolled her eyes, looking so much like her sister in that moment that Nova had to blink in surprise. "Well, as riveting as this conversation is, I have to go to the library. I asked Madam Pince to get the second book in that dragon series and she did."

      Nova's eyes bugged. "Madam Pince did something nice for someone?"

      "She likes me. I'm off!"

      Like a spell shooting out of a wand, Astoria was off. Nova and Daphne simply watched her go.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

      If there was one thing Astoria Greengrass liked to do, it was read.

      Ravenclaws were supposed to be the bookish ones, but Astoria thought that was absolute bollocks. Just because she was a Slytherin didn't mean that she repelled books. Gryffindors did maybe, but Slytherins? They were just as smart as Ravenclaws. Sure, she couldn't figure out their common room passwords because those stupid door knockers gave her the hardest riddles to solve, but she got good grades.

      And Madam Pince liked her enough to order the second book in that dragon series. That had to count for something.

      The fifth year Slytherin found herself in the library, greeting Madam Pince with a friendly wave as she walked up to her desk. "Good evening! How was your break?"

      Madam Pince gave her a minuscule smile, which felt like an honor in the highest order. "Wonderful. I've gotten that book you wanted. Do you want to check it out now or look around more?"

      "I'll look around some more. I doubt students will be here looking for books on their first day back, so I'll have the shelves to myself."

      "There's just one other student here, I believe, but he's been here for an hour, so I'd imagine he's on his way out soon."

      Astoria gave Madam Pince a big smile and made her way over to the first stack of books. This was her routine. First, she'd browse the nonfiction isle. No nonfiction books usually stuck out to her, but she still liked to look because her mother always told her it was an excellent thing to be well-read. She stepped into the isle, gently running her finger over some of the titles of the books before finding one about magical items. It looked interesting enough. She reached up on her toes to grab it from the shelf, but a pale hand shot out and beat her to it, grabbing the book rather roughly by the spine.

      "You'd better treat your books with better respect," she said angrily, flinging her hands on her hips. It was only then that she realized she was talking to Draco Malfoy, who gave her a sneer.

      "I'll do whatever I want, Greengrass."

      Now that was just rude. She yanked the book back from him, being quite hypocritical because she gripped it with as much force as he had, but no one spoke to her that way. "Maybe with your own stuff, but not with library books." She sniffed obnoxiously, giving him a little glare. "You look like the type to crack your spines."

       "This conversation is almost as pointless as you are. Give me the book."

      Normally someone calling her pointless would send her crying, but she was used to such sentiments from Draco Malfoy. For the most part, he ignored her, as she was a year underneath him and he didn't interact with her much. Still, his reputation was known throughout the school. "Wow, what an original insult. You must not be very well-read if that's the only thing you could come up with. Perhaps you do need this book more than I do."

      His mouth popped open, like he couldn't believe a lowly fifth-year Slytherin such as herself was speaking to him.

      "I'll be happy to give you the book back if you promise to treat it with respect. Books are living things, you know. They're magical like that."

      "Everything in this bloody castle is magical," he retorted. Still, he held out his hand gently for the book. She eyed it for a couple moments before she decided he wasn't going to handle it roughly and handed it back to him. He opened it up and scanned the back of the index, growling and slamming it shut when he didn't find what he was looking for. "Of course it's not here. Nothing bloody ever is."

      "What are you looking for?" she couldn't help but ask. He had interested her. She'd never seen Draco Malfoy even within the vicinity of the library, and now suddenly he was scouring the shelves as if his life depended on it.

      "None of your business, Greengrass."

      She held up her hands. "Merlin, Malfoy, I'm trying to help!"

      "You can't help me."

      "Try me." She put her hands on her hips again, giving him a scowl her mother would be proud of.

      He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I'm looking for information on Vanishing Cabinets and what defensive spells they ward off."

      "Oh. That's easy." She took the book he was holding out of his hands and placed it back in its spot. "Follow me." She led him out of the nonfiction section and into the fiction section, her eyes and fingers scanning the shelves.

      "Why are we in the bloody fiction section? I don't have time to play around, Greengrass."

      "Shh. You talk too much." Finding the book she was looking for, she slid it out of its spot. "Here. It's a fiction book, but the character deals with a Vanishing Cabinet in here and the information is pretty accurate. I can't remember the chapter, though, so either read it all or do a searching spell."

      He stared at the book. It was an ugly thing, with some wizard on the front of it. He debated throwing it to make her mad, but if it truly had information on the Vanishing Cabinet, he would bloody try it. 

      "A thank you would be nice. Just saying."

      He gave her a glare so cold it should have frozen her where she stood. But she simply blinked at him, waiting patiently. 

      "I appreciate it," he grumbled out after a few moments. Her big eyes staring at him were starting to bother him.

     "Figure that's the closest I'll get. You're welcome, Draco Malfoy."

      With that, she turned on her heel. She had a nonfiction isle to browse.

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

Hi friends! So, I have some explaining to do.

I know a lot of you have been wanting me to update. It makes me so happy that you guys love Nova so much. I love you guys for it. But here's the thing: my life is more important than this story. I've seen so many mean comments talking about how I don't update enough and it bugs people. You absolutely have a right to feel that way. But don't take time out of your day to comment it, because it just makes me feel bad. My stepmom has cancer, I have been going through teaching things so I can get a job (which I ended up getting, yay!), and have been taking classes to get my teaching credential. My life does not revolve around this story.

I have promised to see Nova's story through until the very end, and I need you guys to believe me on that. Whether it takes ten months or ten years, her story will be completed. Just please give me some time to sort out things in my life.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and the little glance into Astoria and Draco's relationship. I loved writing about them.

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

7.6K 160 20
Alessia vowed to not get involved with any boys during her fifth year, but she might just have to reconsider her decision when her close friend, Theo...
73.4K 2K 18
"I mean you own a dragon for goodness sake!" "Well first off, I don't own a dragon." *Prisoner of Azkaban* *Book 1* *Fred Weasley*
36.8K 747 29
Hermione is fed up of Ron bailing on her and finds out the he is cheating on her they break up , Fred comes to see if Hermione is alright turns out s...
49.4K 2K 19
Book two in my Lilliana Re-written series. Same as before, it kinda holds its own so there's no need to read the originals if you don't want to. Than...