Crash Landing on You - Edelwe...

By IndigoMusings

Edelweiss Diaries tells the story of Jeong Hyuk and Se Ri from the time Jeong Hyuk is sent back to NK by SK N... More

Prelude
Part 1 - A Long game
Part 2 - Thorny regrets
Part 3 - The wrong train
Part 4 - Old knots
Part 5 - Shadows of the past
Part 6 - Near and far
Part 7 - Beginning of the end
Part 8 - Road to nowhere
Part 9 - Everything and nothing
Part 10 - Land of dreams
Part 11 - One step at a time
Part 12 - Though the darkness
Part 13 - Downturn
Part 14 - Hard conversations
Announcement - Amadeus
Part 15 - Revelations
Part 16 - New beginnings
Part 17 - Forever entwined - I
Part 18 - Forever entwined - II
Part 19 - Counting down time
Part 20 - Homecoming I
Part 21 - Homecoming II
Part 22 - Homecoming III
Part 23 - A family affair - I

Part 22 - Homecoming IV

1.4K 75 18
By IndigoMusings

Toweling her hair, she stood leaning against the window taking in the disarray of the room. His t-shirt was scattered as a pile, by the door, alongside her blouse. The ruffled sheets were bunched up around his waist, as he lay sprawled on her bed half-naked.

The pregnancy hormones were to be blamed, she figured, for she'd never before been as sensitive to touch or absorb the myriad sensations that he awoke in her. She coyly smiled recollecting the night's moments that had left every inch of her tasted and sated by him.

"Care to share what's funny this early in the morning?" He asked, propping himself on his elbow.

"It's weird, but you seem so out of place in my room that I had to ask myself if I was having an affair."

"Well," he said getting out of bed. "It's not so bad if your lover and your husband are one and the same."

It was one thing to gaze at him from far. Now, as he lazily ambled across the room, barely clad in his lounge pants, she felt a sudden pool of heat course through her and braced herself against the window to take support.

"Are you ok?" He asked rushing to her side and the nearness intensified the heat simmering on her skin.

"You aren't helping luv!" She pushed him away with a groan. "I decree that you not remain in my sight, shirtless, until after we are done with the day."

Though he gleaned her affectation, he did nothing to fan it further when they were aware of the host duties that awaited them. Placing a chaste kiss on her cheek, he laughed his way to disappear inside the bathroom.

Stepping out of the room, she spotted Seo Dan busy feeding Min Young. Gu Seung Jun appeared to be still asleep on the couch.

"Are you not planning to join us?" she asked reaching for the toy Min Young had cast on the floor. "It's really sunny outside and the park will be fun for Min Young. We can pick-up lunch after that."

"The jet lag is getting to everyone," Seo Dan answered, tipping her head to Gu Seung Jun. "We'll do something later in the day."

She nodded with a smile and shifted into her home office to get through her work emails. However, her brain cells weren't ready in the least for high-functioning tasks, when she kept drifting back and forth through the emotions evoked by the anticipation of spending a normal day with him in Seoul. The word 'normal' hadn't been part of their life for long and now it was hard for her to imagine not having to face mentions of returning home or an endless separation.

"Ready?" His voice alerted him and she jumped up from her chair, partly nervous it was only a dream.

Looping her arm around his, they entered the elevator. "What if I told you this feels like an escapade and not a date?"

He lightly touched the tip of her nose with his. "What if I told you that it's every date's hope it feel like an escapade than a mundane outing?"

"I'm handing it to you too easy," she said, with mock anger. "I need to make you work for it."

"You know I don't shy away from a challenge, luv." He winked at her.

"That we shall see," she said with a giggle like that of a giddy teenager, a state of being not far from how she felt then.

Something about being together in Seoul, in her home base, lent a sense of permanence to their togetherness and it was a sentiment she didn't know was needed until she experienced it. She settled into the car seat with eyes misty from happy tears that came well before she could even have a taste of the day. With tangled fingers resting on the arm cushion, they began their drive through the streets of Seoul.

It was proof enough for her that a new reality awaited them.

*****

It was a picnic of sorts, but it wasn't a stroll in the park either.

With Gu Seung Jun's encouragement, they had changed the day's plans and driven to Bhukansan reserve. Now, they were on a hike to nowhere, when they had hardly covered less than two miles in the last hour.

She stepped to the side to avoid a pit. Instinctively, he extended his arm towards her, to gather her back to him.

"I can't count the number of times I have come here hoping I would spot you in the vicinity." Climbing a step ahead of him, she turned around to face him.

"Pabo'ya," he lightly touched her forehead. "Everything that happened to us and the fact that we have lived to tell a tale is only mere chance."

"There is another word for it." She leaned on him fully. "Destiny."

Looking to either side to ensure they were alone, he kissed her. She smiled for a moment, but it soon died out and she rubbed her forehead anxiously.

"I suppose me being alive and you having a part to play in it is destiny too."

"Look," he tipped her chin forward, "we don't have to talk about it now."

"No, I think we should." She shook her head vehemently. "I'm responsible for two other lives now. You need to know that I do value life now."

He took a deep breath. "You are past that stage of life. That chapter is closed. That's all."

"Alright," she drew away from him and sat on the adjacent stone bench. "But you need to understand my reasons too, to truly believe I'm not that pabo anymore."

Giving in, he joined her on the bench. "Omma and appa met at work - my omma was one of the Queen's group operations staff. Appa was already married when they got involved, so obviously, when she was pregnant with me, she decided to raise me by herself."

She closed her eyes briefly and something about the shake in her hand told him that it was the first time she was talking about her mother to anyone. "When I was a few months old, they traveled together for work and met with a car accident, to which I lost amma. You know that appa has a limp. It's from that same accident too."

Oddly, both of them had lost their loved ones to a car accident. Somehow it felt unfair that she'd lost her omma well before she could experience the most precious bond between a mother and child.

She didn't cry then, nevertheless, his hand sought hers and she settled against him comfortably. "Appa was left with no choice but to make me a part of the family. He set up everything to make believe that they were adopting the daughter of distant relatives who had died in an unfortunate accident."

She scoffed. "How well I was accepted in that family is everyone's guess. At that age, I didn't want much else than belonging."

Though she wasn't that little girl anymore, his mind's eye couldn't ignore the images of a little girl having to pick herself up, without anyone to watch her back.

He threw his arms around her and gathered her possessively as if he wanted to shield her even from herself. From the tumult of the emotions that were surely cleaving her insides.

"I thought there was no point going on living if I didn't have anyone to share," she paused briefly and kicked at a stone near her feet. "Sadly, what I didn't know then was that I didn't want to die, but I was merely seeking a purpose to live."

His hold tightened and in an equal measure, her voice softened, finding comfort in his embrace. "And you could say I realized that in Iseltwald. I don't know if it was those formidable mountains that erased away my separateness or your music that gave me an anchor in myself. Those spiritual moments were nothing short of being born again."

"Having an anchor in you and being self-reliant is good," he said and slightly turned to kiss the top of her hair. "But I would love it more if you learn to lean on me as well."

"And that would be the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?" She pulled away and looked at him with narrowed eyes.

Truly, he'd never leaned on her either. The interdependence he believed was essential to all marriages, was barely practiced in his own. Overwhelmed, he took her back into his hold, but she refused to give in.

"What is it you are looking at?" He asked tipping his head back further.

"You!" She said, gazing at him as if she was grasping the details of his face for the first time.

"What about me?"

"Sometimes I think, everything in your life forced you to grow up before you wanted to," she said and her voice was laden with deep sadness.

The veracity in her words stung him. After all, he had never imagined an alternate life, where his Hyung was still around.

"My brother went to the army in my place and I ended up losing him forever." He was silent for a long moment. "I couldn't handle the guilt then and shut down."

Rubbing his forehead, he breathed out loud. "But I've worked through some of my issues too. I did open up to you."

He gave her a small smile, in hopes to console her. "It's a process. I don't think there is a school that can prepare us for life's uncertainties. Be it loss. Or being responsible for another life."

He placed his palm over her belly and she fell onto his chest. "We'll figure it out?" Her voice held a tremor. "This parenthood thing?

"We'll suck at it," he said, his mouth faintly mocking. "We'll make mistakes, but we'll learn too. And we'll have each other." He rested his chin over her head.

"I know you'll make a great mom," he said with much pride in his voice.

She looked up at him and placed her hand over his that was still on her belly. "And you are going to pamper them to no end."

In that instant, he saw the perfection that already existed despite their imperfections. Without a care for the people passing by, he dipped his head to kiss her. She smiled into their kiss, reading his irrevocable acceptance to the life he was choosing for them.

With the wind picking up, he nudged her to get back on their feet.

"Why haven't we done this before?" She asked taking in their rhythmic footfalls.

"We have hiked many times before, luv."

"Not like this," she took his arm playfully and turned around to face him. "Not like we are only sixteen. You have never been this hopeful. It almost feels like I'm with a different person."

He raised a brow at her. "Are you sure you haven't met this man who can plan things around life's many possibilities and not just with limitations in mind?"

He yanked her by her fingertips to wrap her arms around him. "With the armies of two countries between us, I still believed that I could get you home."

"So what do these possibilities entail?" she asked with an adorable pout. "Does that mean we can live together?"

He gave her a knowing smile. If anything he'd expected the question a lot sooner than she had posed. "I don't have all the answers yet, but we need stability for you for the next year. And don't even think about staying out of my sight or" –his gaze fell to her belly again– "keeping them away from me. I won't be able to sleep a wink."

"I know," she drawled and her voice showed a vague disappointment, he couldn't place. "Living arrangements is one thing, but I don't think I can handle both Se Ri's choice and Queens group."

It was a delicate problem and one he wasn't clear about how would want it solved. They could get an insider, or a management company to take over execution details. But they would still need someone from the family to oversee strategy and approach. Family. With the answer in his grasp, he paused at his tracks. However with her going past him, she was tugged back to him by their interlocked fingers.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" He asked reading the fight in her eyes.

"What if appa doesn't agree?" She sounded worried.

"We'll have to talk him through," he said, after some contemplation and she nodded back to him.

As if in agreement, the skies thundered and a sudden downpour came upon them. With no visible shelter in sight, he grabbed her arm and ran towards the nearest tree. He didn't necessarily believe that people could take ill from getting wet in the rain, but he wasn't sure her immune system was at its peak, given her stress levels. Instinctively, he took off his jacket and held it up over her head.

"You are getting wet!" she protested and pulled him closer to her.

In that play of shadow and light, he was drawn to her wet skin reflecting the golden light of the afternoon sun. She dispersed her matted hair and a few drops joined the ones that were already settled on her skin and the rivulets began to sluice down her nape and onto the slope of her breasts. She gazed up at him and uttered something, however, the hum of the rain drowned out her words. Caught in that bewitchment of time, space, and the dazzle of her wet skin, he lowered to place a kiss by the curve of her neck.

Surprised, she drew in a breath, but recovering quickly, she tugged at his shirt and kissed him boldly.

With his body responding to her eagerness, he tore himself from the kiss.

"What's bothering you?" she asked, her forehead creasing now.

"We may not be alone here," he said, with some regret and the realization that it was perhaps, already too late

"We are in Seoul," she said, shaking her head. "We are not going to be alone in our own home."

Though without intention, her words presented the reminder he needed then.

"We'll have to talk about that." He pursed his lips briefly. "These two are going to be showing soon too," he said, tipping his chin at her belly.

They were indeed husband and wife with or without a piece of paper, a personal bond that was only for them to honor. However, wrapped up in their small world, they had kept their families out for too long.

"There is someplace we have to go tomorrow." He gently clasped her hand. "Keep the evening free for me?"

"Don't want to give me a hint?" she asked with her head tilted to one side.

"You'll have to trust me on that." He gave her a teasing smile. "Some secrets and surprises can still do wonders for a relationship."

Placing a kiss on the top of her nose, he drew her further into the makeshift shelter that his jacket was. "But I promise we'll talk more too."

*****

By the time they reached home after the hike and grocery shopping, their clothes were nearly dry.

"What's wrong with your phones again?" Gu Seung rolled his eyes, holding the door open for them.

"Why?" He asked, entering in.

"The phones have been going off." Gu Seung Jun touched the side of his head. "Your appa called. And then your PR team is trying to get in touch with you too."

"My appa doesn't know my landline nos," she offered, following him inside.

"Not yours." Gu Seung Jun looked from her to him. "His appa."

She swallowed, unable to imagine the worst that might have prompted his father to seek her out. If he was shocked, his face showed nothing. Dropping the bags at the entryway, she rushed to get a charger. Before her phone could power up, Gu Seung Jun thrust his phone into her view.

Reading the headline, she scrolled to see a grainy picture of them captivated by the other and intimately smiling at each other, their noses nearly touching as if they were about to kiss.

Her hand flew to her mouth and she fell back onto the couch. Grabbing the phone from her hands, he read through the rest of the details, which she couldn't bother with. Her nausea caught up with her and she couldn't tell if it was sheer panic or merely an effect of the pregnancy.

He drew an audible breath and handed the phone back to Gu Seung Jun. "First she needs to eat. Then we need to get on a call with Jorge. I want that lease to come through at all costs. I'll call aboneim later."

"What about this?" She held her head and closed her eyes, wishing for it all to be a nightmare. It had been a perfect day until the instant she learned that it was all being taken away from then again. Was he even prepared for a scandal? Beyond all else, she feared for their past identities coming into light.

He took a seat next to her, not appearing perturbed in the least. "Call your secretary now."

Despite not having the mind space to think and respond to a crisis, she obliged only to be greeted by the dramatic cries of Secretary Kim. "Awh daepunim, why would you go out on a date without telling us?"

"And why do you give out more details than needed?" She was uncharacteristically quiet, unable to afford a nipping yell.

"What do you want us to do next? We cannot be silent this time too."

They had chosen inaction with regards to the grocery scandal when the involved actor's agency had taken care of responding to the media.

"I'll have to think and get back," she said blankly.

She was about to cut the call when he interjected. "What's left to think?" he sighed, possibly finding it incredulous that she couldn't see what was obvious to him. 

"First, issue a statement that the said actor doesn't match the description of the person you were out with today. So there is no place for confusion as to who you were with."

It took her a second to process his words when it was beyond her that the moment was indeed real. Moreover not knowing the details specified in the article, she had no option but to trust his suggestion.

"And if they ask about today's mystery man?" Secretary Kim countered.

"Prepare an official response." He was now addressing her staff directly. "But it will have to wait till the day after tomorrow.

"What are we announcing?" A random staff member inquired.

He met her eyes, sensing the growing alarm that coursed her body. He gathered her left hand into his clutch and her gaze fell to their matching gold bands. "That Queen's group and Se Ri's choice CEO, Yoon Se Ri is engaged to David Lee, Founder & CEO of Cup of Amber Corporation."

His smile being her anchor, she reckoned that their day was still perfect, just as it had begun. 

*****

She made her way to the bedroom after checking in with Seo Dan on their day. Inside, she found him searching the closet, all the while unbuttoning his shirt.

"I always imagined the announcement would read something like Yoon Se Ri marries the famous pianist, Ri Jeong Hyeok," she said with some disappointment.

Closing the door, she leaned against the wall, awaiting a response from him.

"That announcement doesn't read well," he said and turned around with a towel in his hand. "A failing pianist cannot belong in your world. But a striving start-up founder will be respected even if not successful."

She couldn't help but wonder if he would have failed at being a pianist, if not for her. His last response echoed in her ears and it wasn't lost on her that he had toiled away years of his life and given up on his passion, to make that headline of two CEOs being involved, a possibility.

Tears streamed down her cheek and she rushed to him.

"Don't," he caught her face and the towel fell to the floor. Unable to face him, she buried herself into his chest.

As if he could read the anguish over which her hands had fisted tight, he loosened them one finger at a time. "It was my choice," he claimed and she waited to hear the hurt in his voice. But there was none in contrast to her misguided notions. "You think I can be successful if I didn't share the same passion for making the best gourmet coffee there is? And this a realistic choice that will keep you and me safe, to some extent," he said, smoothing her hair.

"How so?" she raised her eyes to catch him shake his head at her emotional disarray.

"Cup of Amber is a well-known brand," he said and circled his arms around her waist. "Now, they get to see the face behind it. Take the mystery out and it makes everything less interesting. Hopefully, people won't dig into things much, once they have the basics. They already know what's going on between us and their curiosity wouldn't peak to know that two CEOs are involved. It may not have been the same had I been a pianist. Now, the only thing we need to tell them is 'the who,' which we'll announce soon. The when and where can be dealt with later."

He laid it out as if it was a simple equation to be solved. Though her fears were far from being allayed, she wanted to believe him. In reality, she did long for a day when they could walk to the corner store without a care for who's watching them. However, she wasn't confident she could pay the price it would demand.

"You had it all planned, didn't you?" she asked and noticed, he was gently swaying her in his hold.

"To some extent yes. In truth, the rest is falling into place. Like you say, it's destiny at play."

It was clear to her that she had been in denial over the things that would have to be worked out for them to be together. They were just getting started, if anything, and the mere thought of it, made her weary.

"Heavens! I don't think I could have done this without you by my side." Bunching her shoulders, she placed a kiss over his chest.

"I'm always here," he said and she heard the smile in his voice. "Always."

"Hush!" Raising her face to him, he swiped at her tears. "With that realization, I hope that you won't keep things from me the next time."

"Next time?" She had a puzzled look on her face. "Dream on..." she said laughing, once his reference dawned on her.

*****

Later that night, unable to fall asleep, she hid under the sheet, to read the quick snippets that some of the tabloids had picked up from Instagram. Eventually, she traced her way to the source of it all.

Can someone help me find this top & bottom from Se Ri's choice brand? #serischoice #cuteworkoutwear

She smiled at the strange turn of events brought on by the mere curiosity of a fashion-obsessed teenager and proceeded to read through the comments.

How do you know this is Se Ri's choice? Never seen this one before.

Look at the logo on her bottom.

Love the blush peach top & bottom. #blushpeachrules. P.S Someone scored a man with shoulders the size of pacific island #score #jealous

Is this a new collection? @serischoice

When is the new collection coming out? @serischoice @ellekorea

Who's the pacific island shoulder cutie?

Dig the workout wear. @serischoice hit me with some for #instafashion

Seri's Choice: New F/W collection will hit the market early next month. Stay tuned.

How did she get her hands on the yet to be released F/W collection??? #jealous #fashionleak #fakeprint

Seri's Choice: The new F/W collection is being test-driven by select execs. Not a fake.

Star News: Photo of all Se Ri's choice Executive team.

It was hard to miss that all the women in the picture were married, save her.

It looks like #MissPeachBlush was on a date

I don't mind an affair if it's with #MrPacificIslandShoulders

Omo! 🔥💕

#metoo - and you know what this me too stands for ;)

#MrPacificIslandShoulders deserves #MissPeachBlush. You can tell she's svelte even from that lowres picture. #bodygoals

She scrolled back to the picture that had incited the conversation. The harsh rain had marred his side profile, to not give away his handsome face. In addition, the dark tone of the picture made it hard to discern if it was her next to him. Nevertheless, the moment was undeniably private, and it brought a smile to her face. Despite the poor quality of the picture, it was one worthy of framing. 

Just then the sheet lifted and she felt his chin rest on her shoulder, his stubble grazing her cheek. "Good thing I don't have an Insta account. Else I would be losing sleep like you."

A moment later, his arm snaked around her and snatched the phone away. "One Insta account is enough for the family," she added.

"Exactly my point," he said kissing her nape and went on to breathe in all of her. "Get some sleep, will you?"

She turned into his hold and took in the raw scent of him, along with the grounding warmth of his bare skin - the reassurance she needed for some more time that he was in the here and now.

#MrPacificIslandShoulders and #MissPeachBlush had both come home, in their pursuit of togetherness. 

*****

It was lovely to see most of you return to the story. Thanks again for your patience and love! 

I want to hear from more of you. Do vote up and let me know how these last few chapters are turning out. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.9K 1.8K 12
"I didn't say I don't find him attractive. I just think that he knows that he's attractive and he's letting it get into his head." That is what Yoon...
100K 3.7K 34
One-shot compilations. Set in the near future, following the end of episode 16 when Ri Jeong Hyeok and Yoon Se Ri live their life in Switzerland.
139K 7.5K 29
"Jeong-Hyeok," his father says in a tired voice, "This is how it's going to be. The general shareholder meeting is in five weeks from now. If you are...
49.4K 2.6K 25
Yoon Seri, CEO of Seri's Choice, is about to take over as Chairwoman of Queen's Group. Ri Jeong-hyeok, son of the director of the North Korean Genera...