Modern No-Magic AU Drarry

By WalkingOutOfTime

The worst time to have a sexuality crisis is probably in the middle of a war. Harry Potter knows this, but he... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty-seven
Chapter Twenty-eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-one
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty-five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-eight
Chapter Thirty-nine

Chapter Eight

335 29 46
By WalkingOutOfTime

Bzz. Bzz. Bzz.

Harry's bed displayed shards of light that filtered in through the window, showcasing the morning light. Groaning as he stretched, Harry fumbled around his bed before realising that his phone was still in his pocket from the night before. When had he fallen asleep? From how heavy his eyelids were, it didn't feel like that long ago.

Ron: when does harry usally wake up??

Hermione: He has work at nine, so usually his alarm would be set for eight

Unless he forgot to turn it on which is also entirely possible

Because he didn't text last night so he most likely forgot

Ron: yea he didnt text

Wait deos that say hes active

The green dot

Hermione: yes ron that does indeed mean he's active

Ron: harryyyy

Harry: i'm here

Ron: fuckin finally

Lil shit. almost had me worried

You didn't text last night

Harry: yeah sorry i must've fallen asleep

Or got distracted at least

Hermione: do you feel refreshed?

Harry: not really

Hermione: oh

Ron: rip

Rereading the last few messages, Harry looked at the time and then swore.

Harry: gtg get ready 

Sniffing his shirt as he stood up, Harry wrinkled his nose and then quickly sifted through his bag before laying his hands on a red shirt and struggling into it as he stumbled into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. Washing his hands a minute later, he was faced with his reflection: hair sticking practically upright, dark circles under his eyes and a line of dried drool running down the left side of his mouth. Swearing, he quickly rubbed it off before running back into his room and finding a jumper.

When Harry walked through the kitchen door, his uncle rolled his eyes and continued to ignore him. "Thank you, dearest," he said as Petunia laid a cup of coffee in front of him.

Feeling out of place, Harry didn't move from the doorway. "I was wondering if I could be dropped off at work."

Vernon didn't look up, just took another sip from his coffee.

Petunia briefly glanced over but then busied herself with scrubbing the kitchen bench.

Stifling a sigh, Harry tried not to feel hurt. This happened nine times out of ten, he wasn't sure why it still stung. "Alright. Well... bye." He didn't lift his head until he closed the front door, out on the front step in the cool air. Looking up, Harry squinted at the grey sky and the clouds forming, wishing he had a scarf. It looked like it might snow soon.

Shoving the notion aside, he rifled through his pocket as he walked to the nearest bus stop, praying that he had remembered to pack his wallet.

--

"You're late," Draco's snide voice called from the back room as soon as Harry rushed in.

"Bold words coming from someone who should be out front serving," Harry retorted as he practically threw his coat onto a bench and tied on his apron, adjusting his glasses as they slipped down his nose. As he turned around, Draco came into the serving area and placed his hands on the counter.

"My apologies, Potter, I had no idea Mr Invisible and his family had come to get a cup of tea." Suppressing a smirk, Draco looked at the blank room in front of him. "Can I take your order, sir?"

"You slimy, sarcastic piece of-" Harry growled. The grey skies filtering in from the window outside accentuated the grey of Draco's eyes and made his already pale skin almost glow. Harry caught himself squinting at the boy, wondering how someone could be so fair and have a face so sharp yet skin looking so soft, especially in this lighting.

Startling Harry, Draco's eyes flicked to the side and just before he began scowling there was something else, but Harry couldn't put his finger on it.

"What are you staring at, Potter?" Draco asked, his voice cold.

"No!" Harry blurted defensively and then regretted it immediately. No? That doesn't make any fucking sense. God dammit. Maybe he didn't pick up on it?

Shaking his head, Draco crossed his arms. "Well, let me know when you've gone back to school to learn English. I'm going to clean the coffee machine before we get any customers. Oh, and, Potter?" turning around, Draco didn't even try to hide his smirk.

Harry couldn't break eye contact and his chest felt weirdly tight. "What?" he said in what he hoped sounded like a disinterested tone.

"Make sure Mr Invisible gets his order. You wouldn't want to keep him waiting."

Clenching his fists, Harry hoped Draco could see his images of Draco being strangled to death. "Fuck you."

All Draco did was raise a singular eyebrow for a fraction of a second before curtly turning around and grabbing a chux cloth.

Glaring at the back of Draco's head, Harry went through his thoughts before deciding on something to say, marching up and roughly pushing past the other boy.

"What the- bull hockey!" he exclaimed and Harry almost forgot what he was going to say.

"Bull hockey?" he repeated dubiously. "The hell is that meant to mean?"

As he mumbled under his breath about having a strict, traditional family, Harry could've sworn the tips of Draco's ears were turning pink.

"What do you want?" Draco ended his mumbling harshly.

Remembering what he was going to say, Harry made sure he had his angry face on. "Why aren't you going to a staff party?"

Rolling his eyes, Draco walked past Harry in the opposite direction. "Why would I go in the first place?"

"Um, because it's a staff party." Following after him with crossed arms, Harry frowned at Draco's unlikeableness. "It's not a all-staff-except-for-Malfoy party."

"You'd like that, wouldn't you?" Draco said, turning on the tap.

"What?" Harry chewed his lip, trying to figure out if he was just insulted or not. "That's not-"

"Customer," Draco interrupted, running a knife under the cool water. Draco liked knives. Even if they were covered in sticky chocolate brownies. He felt cool. And dramatic. "Have fun."

As Harry took the orders of the small family who just walked in, Draco took the bucket of dry cutlery into the back room and began shelving them, mulling over Harry's words. What was he going to say after he was interrupted? Was he going to say that he actually wanted Draco to come? Somehow he was doubtful of that. Well he can't have that little flame of hope spreading lies, so he may as well end this argument right here, right now. Draco is not going to that damn party. And he will make sure Harry knows that.

Speaking of the devil, Harry walked right past Draco into the back room, muttering the order over and over again under his breath.

"Scarface." Draco crossed his arms as Harry over his shoulder at him.

"What?"

"I'm not going to that stupid staff party and that's final. Do you hear me?" Draco smiled inwardly, pleased at his assertion of dominance. Nobody manipulates the Malfoys.

After placing three paper cups onto the bench, Harry spun around and took a few steps towards Draco, stopping just before they came into contact. "You're coming." he said shortly, his eye contact making Draco gulp. "Do you hear me?"

Suddenly feeling very flustered, cornered up against the wall, Draco couldn't bring a scowl to his face. "Fine," he spat, feeling absolute contempt when his voice broke.

Going back to the bench, Harry smirked to himself. "Good. Oh, by the way," he said as he walked past again. "We're thinking of making it halloween themed. Make sure you have your costume ready."

Pulling at his collar, Draco swore. What the fuck just happened?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.1K 882 23
To satisfy the thirst of Drarry shippers! Most of this is fluff and angst, and there's a little bit of some attempted smut near the middle. [HIGHEST...
219K 9.4K 20
Harry's new life began as he was tossed to the floor of the Malfoy Manor dungeon, two pinprick wounds on his neck. A wolf howled from above. The youn...
10.8K 531 17
"Working together? With Potter? Not a chance in the goddamn world." Draco Malfoy has a secret. Harry Potter intends to find it out. But along their j...
14.2K 165 23
Harry isn't sure how to deal with his emotions or depression, but what happens when a certain ferret comes into his life? •This is set in 8th year •...