Back to Basics

By KaylaWoods289

"I need you" Natalia 'Nat' Thorton is a strong willed ranch owner. She runs the ranch her father left her alo... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Finding Ground
Chapter 2: Protecting Her
Chapter 3: First Impressions
Chapter 4: Her Anchor
Chapter 5: Coffee
Chapter 6: Finding her Muse
Chapter 7: Reminiscing
Chapter 8: Radio Trouble
Chapter 9: Discoveries
Chapter 10: Sensual Touch
Chapter 11: I Turn to You
Chapter 12: Explanations
Chapter 13: Start of an Adventure
Chapter 14: Control
Chapter 15: Getting her Way
Chapter 16: Changing it Up
Chapter 17: Let Go
Chapter 18: Home
Chapter 19: Keith
Chapter 20: Finding her song
Chapter 21: Preview
Chapter 22: Julio & Naomi
Chapter 23: Bliss Before Stress
Chapter 24: Face the Music
Chapter 25: Thunder Rolls
Chapter 27:Coming Home
Chapter 28: All In
Chapter 29: Being Happy
Chapter 30: Mountains and Desires
Chapter 31: Good Morning
Chapter 32: Misunderstanding
Chapter 33: Turn on the Radio
Chapter 34: First Show Back
Chapter 35: All Mine
Chapter 36: Relocate
Chapter 37: Reflect
Chapter 38: Interview Gone Wrong
Chapter 39: Done
Chapter 40: Safely & Securely
Chapter 41: Resolve
Chapter 42: Goodbye
Chapter 43: Two More Weeks
Chapter 44: Outlaw and Storm
Chapter 45: Happy
Chapter 46: Daddy
Chapter 47: Welcome Home Princess
Chapter 48: Breaking the news
Chapter 49: My Happiness
Chapter 50: Bright Future
Chapter 51: Decisions
Chapter 52: It's Time
Chapter 53: Finally
Chapter 54: Back at It
Chapter 55: De Ja Vu
Chapter 56: Legends
Epilogue

Chapter 26: No Reception

3.6K 206 3
By KaylaWoods289

Jackson can feel his blood run cold. He looks back to his phone seeing the call ended. He is quick to dial back but receives a direct busy signal. He tries again, again, and again but to no avail. His hand running through his hair as his heart races. 

"Hey, what's wrong?"

He looks up to find Cassie's big blue eyes looking to him in confusion. He doesn't know what to say and luckily his phone rings. He instantly answers it. 

"Hello, Keith are-"

"It's Tate." Jackson pulls the phone away from his ear looking down to see Tate's name on it. He tries to slow his breathing as he puts it back to his ear. "Who is Keith?"

"Keith is Natalia's older brother. I was just talking to him."

"Oh.. okay. Well I called about the interview. Everyone is raving about Cassie. She knocked that interview out of the park."

"That's good to know but I need to go Tate." He ends the call without a second thought making Cassie look at him like he's crazy. He turns trying to dial Natalia's number again. 

"Seriously Jackson, what's going on?" Cassie says over his shoulder. He curses under his breath after another failed call. He turns back to her. 

"It's Natalia." Cassie's face instantly showing worry. 

"What's happened?" 

"She got bit by a snake and she's unconscious." Cassie's legs almost giving out on her. Jackson is quick to catch her as her eyes begin to search his. 

"Wh-What?" Her mind trying to wrap around this news. She quickly stands back up pulling out her phone to dial Nat. It goes directly to busy. She tries three more times as she paces back and forth in front of Jackson. She then tries Keith's number but the same problem happens. She can feel her heart beat practically pounding out of her chest. The drumming of her heart the only thing she can hear in her ears. 

"Cassie!"

She snaps her eyes back to Jackson. She begins to tear up as sobs begin raking her body. He holds her as she cries against him. After a moment, her eyes widen as she pushes off of him. She quickly google searches something while Jackson looks to her confused. She dials a number and after only two rings, someone answers. 

"Thanks for calling the Dirty Dozen, this is-"

"Julio!" She interrupts him making him stop mid sentence. 

"I'm sorry who is this?"

"Cassie Lyndel. I'm Keith and Nat's friend."

"Oh yes Ms. Lyndel. What can I-"

"Nat's hurt and I can't reach her." The other end of the phone goes silent for a minute. "Julio?"

"What's happened?" He snaps out of it as she hears rustling in the background. 

"I-I don't know. I'm in California right now. I tried calling her but-"

"The cell towers have fallen. I have a land line otherwise I would be out too." Cassie doesn't know if that makes her feel better or worse. "There's a huge storm here."

Cassie looks to Jackson who is trying to follow the conversation. She tells him about the storm making him run his hand through his hair again in distress. Cassie can feel her emotions getting the better of her. "I- I need to know she is okay."

"Ms. Lyndel, I am sure Keith is taking care of whatever is going on."

"She was bit by a snake. Is that common?" Cassie asks as she hears Julio curse under his breath. 

"What kind of snake?"

"I don't know!" Cassie says raising her voice gaining attention by some others around them. Jackson gently guides her back to the dressing room. 

"Listen Ms. Lyndel, there is nothing we can do until this storm lifts and then I can head out. I will call you when I know more."

Cassie can feel the tears running down her cheeks not at all comforted by his words. Jackson waits to here what she has to say. She gives a gentle thank you to him before hanging up looking back to her agent. 

"He will drive out as soon as the storm lifts and then let us know." 

Both fall silent feeling distressed for the woman who has owned their hearts. Cassie feels like a ghost of herself walking out of the studio where reporters keep clicking photos. She couldn't care any less as she let Jackson guide her to their car before climbing in. She felt numb. 

Jackson couldn't think straight as he sat back in the seat. His phone rings making him instantly pull it out and put it to his ear. 

"Let's be clear Mr. Fillmore, you do NOT hang up on me."

"Look Tate-"

"NO! I am still your boss!" Jackson remains silent as Tate releases a breath calming himself down. "Now... what is going on?"

"Natalia's been hurt." 

Those words instantly shutting up Tate. Jackson rubs his face while waiting for his boss to speak. 

"I am sorry Jackson."

"Me too."

"How is Cassie? Did you tell her?"

"Yes and she is..." He glances over to see her look out to the road with her eyes glossy. "She is okay."

"Well... I think that interview is enough for now. Take her back to Texas Jackson."

Jackson releases a breath thankful for Tate. He thanks his boss before pocketing his phone and turning to the driver telling to head to Cassandra's home. Cassie doesn't seem to notice until they pull into the home when she blinks multiple times. Getting out of the car, Cass finds a familiar face walking towards her and she instantly takes off to wrap her arms around him. Jackson looks to the middle aged man in confusion. This can not be her father but the man is holding Cassie like a parent would to a child. 

Clifford is surprised by Cassie's actions but regardless holds her tightly as she shakes in his arms. It is clear to the man that something has happened. He looks up to find another man walking towards them. He quickly pushes Cassie behind him as he stands tall. Jackson stops in his tracks as the man tries to protect Cassie from him. Cass realizes what Clifford is doing and tugs on his arm making him turn to her. 

"Clifford, this is my new agent, Jackson Fillmore. Jackson, this is Clifford, he's my long time driver and friend."

Clifford smiles gently at the recognition of friendship. Jackson steps forward outstretching his hand to the man he knows Natalia hired personally. "Nice to meet you sir."

"My apologies sir" Jackson waves him off as he turns to Cassie. "Ms. Lyndel, what is wrong?"

"It's Nat"

Clifford's eyes go wide as he waits for her to continue. She however begins hyperventilating making Clifford pull her to his chest again and rub her back while she begins controlling her breathing. She calms down after a few minutes but finds comfort in the old man's embrace. Clifford turns to Jackson hoping for an answer. 

"She has been injured but we do not know how severe yet."

Clifford nods his head and continues rubbing Cassie's back. Cassie pulls back looking up at the man that has come to care for her. She gives a smile while he gives a nod of his head in return. Understanding passing through them. Going to the door, she unlocks it and quickly makes her way upstairs to pack again. 

Clifford and Jackson walk in slowly. Clifford has been in here a handful of times to check on Cassie or to carry her in when she fell asleep in his car. He looks to the stairs before walking to the living room looking out the large glass window in deep thought. Jackson strolls over to stand beside him. 

"You seem to care a great deal about Cassie."

"Yes, well I have been watching over her for some time now. I was close with Natalia when she was young and when she offered me this job, I knew it must be something important for her to ask."

"How did you meet Natalia?" Jackson was curious. A grin lit up his face showing the wrinkles by his eyes. 

"That little firecracker was riding this incredible stallion years ago and I went to meet her but she outran me... and my truck." Clifford remembers watching the horse speed off full speed while the dark beauty held on bare back. "I had to know the girl that could tame a beast like that."

"You talking about Shadow?"

Clifford nods his head recalling the memory. "She found that stallion wrapped in barb wire. She was the first to attempt to help him. I met her a few months after that and by then they had an impenetrable bond. I followed the dust to her father's ranch where he apologized for his daughter."

"Apologize for what?" Jackson raised a brow. 

"That old fool thought I was upset about her being on my lands but honestly I was just fascinated with her."

"So you used to live in Texas?" 

Clifford nods his head still remembering the girl who helped transform his and his wife's life. "We moved here because of Natalia. She didn't trust anyone else with Cassandra."

"Wait! You moved across states for this job??"

"Natalia bought a home for me and my wife. We always plan to settle down away from Texas after we sold the ranch but never really knew where. Now my wife owns a flower shop and I work for Cassandra."

Jackson allows his words to be absorbed and realized Natalia really did make sure Cassie was always looked after. His thoughts then turning sorrowful still not having heard from anyone. He glances to his phone however still no messages. 

"Let me guess, cell towers down?" Jackson whips his head up nodding at Clifford. The old man sighs turning to find Cassandra coming down the stairs with a suitcase. "It happens often with storms in Texas."

"What happens?" Cassie asks coming to look at both of them. 

"Clifford said it is common for the cells to go down."

Cass shakes her head trying to keep her thoughts straight. "First step is getting us back. Ready to go?"

Jackson nods his head as Clifford goes to lift her suitcase. Cassie giving the man a grateful smile. He takes it out to his car as Jackson walks to the other driver telling him they had a ride. They all leave and make way for the airport. Upon arrival Clifford tells Cassie to let him know when she plans to return. Cassie once again brings the man in for a hug thanking him gently. He kisses his forehead before releasing her. Cassie smiles fondly at him before they make their way into the airport. 

The desk informs them that the storm is passing and flights should be resuming shortly. They go to find some seats in the waiting area. Some people instantly recognize Cassie. A little girl gasp and quickly walks over to her. She had to be only 7 or 8 years old. Cassie looks to her with a polite smile. 

"Ca-Can I ha-have an autograph?"

Cassie takes the paper and pen from her. "What's your name sweetie?"

"Jessie"

"I like that name" Cassie says while writing a message to her before handing back the paper to her. The girl squeals again before running back to her mom. The mother embracing her daughter fondly. Cassie couldn't help feeling her chest constrict seeing what she will never have. 

RING RING RING

Cassie quickly pulls out her phone looking down to not recognizing the number. She answers anyway. "Hello?"

"Ms. Lyndel, it's Julio" Disregarding his formality she holds her breath. "Nat's going to be alright."

And just like that Cassie feels herself release a breath and tears of joy come to her eyes. Jackson looks to her. She nods her head making him slouch back and relax in his seat. "Can I talk to her?"

"She is currently knocked out due to the pain meds but she is going to be alright. It wasn't too bad of bite and the paramedics where able to help in time."

"Oh thank god."

She continues to thank him before hanging up. She turns in her seat quickly hugging Jackson as they both chuckle. Cassie has tears running down her cheeks while Jackson just can't believe it. They don't even realize all the attention they are drawing as a few snap pictures of them embracing each other. They pull away as the announcer states the flights have reopened and they begin boarding the plane eager to get back to Texas to see Nat. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 173 51
My rainbow is my best friend, but is also the love of my life. And that amazing human being is none the less than Arizona Robbins. She came into my...
30.6K 3.2K 60
||COMPLETE|| Amber Blake is having dreams, and they just might be the key to saving her best friend, Mark. Unfortunately, she's too preoccupied prete...
1.4K 92 33
It's tobacco cutting time again in the vast fields of Hudson County, Georgia, USA, and 14-yr-old Katie Morgan is sick of it. With burning temperature...
657K 20.5K 54
Everything was going perfect for Bailey Grant. A life in Nashville, a hit music career, an upcoming international tour. She thought that nothing co...