What's at Stake

By JordanLynde

After failing as a vampire hunter, 17-year-old Cleo is sent to an academy full of vampires as a false peace t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
BONUS: Kaz vs. Felix Vs. One Bed Trope
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Author's Note

Chapter Seventeen

7.8K 516 307
By JordanLynde

"Why are you listening in on them?" a muffled voice came from behind the door.

Claude and I exchanged looks before he snatched up some clean bandages on the table next to his bed. I almost laughed as he began haphazardly wrapping them around my neck.

That was weird. I never wanted to laugh in the presence of Claude before. I still didn't think I did. We may have come to some kind of ceasefire, but I doubted he could cast his mistrust of me away so easily. I appreciated the step toward it, though.

Kaz and San entered a moment later, followed by the nurse from before, and Evander.

"I'm glad to see you awake, Ms. Levant," Evander said, forehead crinkling at the sight of Claude's shoddy wrapping job. Or maybe at the blood from when I'd reopened my wounds. There were many confusing things happening. I couldn't even keep up with myself.

The nurse tutted, batting Claude's hands away from me. "I'll do it." Her hand pressed against my forehead. "You're warmer than you should be."

I was? My body did feel hot. But I thought that was just from being constantly on edge around Claude and having my freak out.

"She should stay in the infirmary again for the night," the nurse told Evander. "It might be an early onset of an infection. I'll monitor on the wounds."

Evander nodded. "That's fine. Easier to keep an eye on them all in here than in one of the dorms."

Them all? Did the others get injured, too? They didn't look it.

"You're still a student here, Ms. Levant," Evander continued, directing his attention to me now. "You all broke the rules, and worse, were injured in your outing. I have already had this conversation with everyone else, but you've been asleep. That was incredibly dangerous. Not just for your well-being, but for the peace treaty as well."

I took his scolding in stride. I deserved it. "I won't leave campus again."

"I would hope not. No one came out better for it. I'm aware of the tradition among the students, but you have an important role at this school. I expect you to hold yourself to a higher standard from now on. And follow campus rules."

I nodded, feeling a faint heat crawl up my neck. "I will."

"And you will receive the same punishment as the rest of your friends."

"Punishment?" I repeated, my stomach bottoming out. But I was already hurt and—

"Yes. You four are suspended for the next week."

Just suspension? I felt the tension release from my body. Right. Punishment from a school differed from punishment from my father. But the four of us? Me, Claude, Kaz, and San. Then Adora wasn't suspended?

Evander confirmed my thoughts. "Since Adora prevented a disaster and has to go to a hearing, she is exempt from the suspension."

"That's good," I said.

"What would have been good was you five remaining at the dorm and not putting yourselves at risk."

I grimaced. Point made.

"However, I suppose no one could have predicted the Leecher knowing your precise location, or even attempting to hunt you down with so many of your peers around. You four may remain together in your suspension. Guards will watch over the door. While I trust you to serve your suspension without issue, some of the others are more... devious."

San whistled low to himself.

"How is your pain, Prince Claude? Do you need any more pain medication?" the nurse asked, turning to Claude as she finished wrapping my neck back up.

"From the way he was talking, I think he's already had enough," Kaz said with a slight smile.

"Yeah, he was being civil," San added. "He must be high on the meds."

Claude scowled at the pair of them. "I may be injured, but that doesn't mean I can't put you two in hospital beds, too."

San pressed his lips to the side. "Maybe he does need more."

The nurse admonished San before shuffling away with an order to buzz her if Claude's pain became too much. I hadn't actually heard everything that happened to him. Was he really in that much pain? To need heavy pain meds? Kaz had said his back had been sliced open. How deep? And why had he been sleeping on it if it hurt so much?

"I'll be in contact with you about the hearing," Evander said before he left the room.

"Is Evander going too?" I asked.

Kaz nodded. "Yeah. Not for the hearing, but because he wants to discuss the other assailant that went after Claude on campus with the members of the court."

"Prince," Claude corrected again but sounded resigned.

"Pick your battles," San told him.

"How come you're not going to the hearing, San?"

He turned to me. "Oh, my mom is part of the royal court. It would be against the code of conduct if I went since she'll be holding the hearing."

"Your mom is on the court?"

"One of the regent's most trusted," San said proudly. "How else do you think I've survived this long without Claude killing me? I have immunity from him."

So that was how San fit into such a peculiar group. His mom being on the royal court made everything fit. They were all sons and daughters of influential people. Almost all of them. Adora's mother was secretary-general of human relations, but what about Kaz? How did he fit in? I'd never thought too much about it. I just assumed Kaz was Claude's friend, but maybe there was something else. He had said my family had done something to his, but not what, or if they were even still alive.

Even though I was around Kaz so much, I barely knew him. I needed to work on that.

"Don't worry, Cleo. My mom wouldn't let anything happen to Adora," San said, misinterpreting my silence. "She'll be back by the end of the week."

"When is the hearing?"

"On Wednesday."

"She can't come back then?"

"Since she's already off academy grounds, she's visiting her parents for the week," San explained.

"Is that close by?" I tried to remember what the map of the vampire territory looked like. The academy was settled in the middle of the forest, I knew that. It had taken me about five hours from my house to reach the gates, two hours of it through dense woods. The biggest city in their territory looked to be about the same distance away as my town was if I remembered correctly.

San shrugged. "It could be done in a day trip, but it's better to split it up. We'll be gone for two days."

"We'll?" I repeated. "I thought you weren't going to the hearing?"

"I'm not, but I'm still going to go see my mom," he said with a toothy grin. "Can't pass that up."

"Wait, so all three of you will be gone for two days?"

"Yes," Kaz said, but looked annoyed by it. "Evander promised you'd be safe, though."

I wasn't really worried about that. It wasn't like I planned on sneaking around campus while being suspended and unable to use one eye. I just hadn't realized they'd be gone overnight. This would be the first time since I'd arrived where I would be alone for an extended amount of time. The thought made me a little lonely, but it couldn't be helped. They had to go for Adora. I couldn't be petulant about that. Then things would be fixed and they would be back and everything would be normal again.

Normal. When had being surrounded by my enemies become my normal?

But they weren't my enemies. They were my friends.

I smiled, turning my head down to try to hide it.

"Why are you smiling, Cleo? Are you planning something?" Kaz asked, voice taking on a disapproving tone.

"No," I said. "It's just weird. I'm going to miss you."

Kaz stared at me for a moment and then flushed. "I-it's just two days."

"I know. I just didn't know you could miss your friends the same way you miss your family."

"Of course," San said happily. "Bonds between friends can be just as strong, if not stronger, than bonds between family."

I grinned. "I'm learning that."

"And don't worry about Claude's attitude. He's so brusque, but way, way..." San thought for a second. "Way deep down in that stony heart of his, he is a caring guy."

Kaz snorted, and Claude scowled.

I didn't know how to react without offending Claude. It was clear he cared about his friends, but the idea of that ever including me was laughable. I couldn't even think maybe one day, because trust in a mutually beneficial relationship wasn't the same as trust in friendship. But I wouldn't say it would be impossible. That would just be putting up a barrier without reason. I would let things happen naturally between us.

Claude shifted on his bed and whatever expression he made caused Kaz to go over to his side. "Are you sure you'll be able to travel okay tomorrow?"

"I'm going," Claude told him firmly.

"What happened to you, anyway? How did you end up in the dumpster?" I asked and then realized I sounded too casual about it. "Uh, I'm sorry you were hurt."

Now it was San's turn to snort. Heat rose to my cheeks.

Claude pursed his lips together. "I told you. I was caught off guard."

"Did he find you inside the club?"

"I stepped outside for a moment. That's when he struck. The blade dug deep enough to render me incapable of defending myself at the moment."

"How deep is the cut?"

"Not deep enough to kill me."

"Deep enough for stitches," Kaz said. "And any deeper and it could have reached his spinal cord. The Leecher had gone straight for the kill while his back was turned."

I resisted the urge to shudder. How could someone use such low tactics? But then again, it was a Leecher. They didn't have any sense of morality.

"If I weren't still recovering from the previous attack, I would have fared better," Claude said. "A mere Leecher would have never been able to get the upper-hand on me had I been at my best."

"It's best for you to lie low for a little and recover for now," Kaz told him. "I'm worried about the upcoming friends and family event this weekend. There will be many families who will want to meet you. I wouldn't be surprised if the culprit who attacked you before tried again amongst the chaos of the campus."

My stomach turned rock hard. Friends and family weekend... Would my father even come? Would he miss a chance to check up on me? Maybe he would send my sister instead. Kieran would be a lot easier to deal with. But no, I needed my father to come. I had to have a talk with him, no matter how uncomfortable it would be. Things would never change if he kept his hatred of all vampires. He needed to see how wrong he was. My sister did, too. Maybe if she came I could introduce her to Kaz or Adora so she could see they were just like us.

My father would be upset with me for not digging deeper into finding the hidden heir, but hopefully, he would understand why I stopped.

I subconsciously reached for the necklace that no longer hung around my neck. I also hoped my father wouldn't know it was missing. Swallowing, I dropped my hand back onto my lap. That I wouldn't be able to talk myself out of. Better to just avoid the topic altogether. I needed to make sure he didn't see any of the wounds, either, so I'd have to find some kind of turtleneck to wear. Thankfully, the weather would be cold.

I could feel Claude's eyes on me. I knew his question before he even spoke. "Your father doesn't have anything planned, does he?"

"No," I said. "That I know of," I amended after a second.

Claude drummed his fingers on the bedside rail. "I don't think he would. It would be too early to try anything. You've barely been here for two months. I doubt he would think you've accomplished whatever mission he sent you here for yet."

I stared at him.

"What?"

"You said you trusted me."

"A little," he corrected. "And that trust does not span from you to your father. The peace treaty wasn't made as an act of amity. You're naive if you think I don't know he had an ulterior motive for sending you here. Even if you might not be going along with it anymore."

Anymore. I hated how astute Claude was. I couldn't even argue with him because he was right on all accounts. I wouldn't lie and try to deny it, either. That would be counterproductive to getting him to trust me fully. But I also couldn't tell him the real reason my father had sent me here. I didn't know how he would react to me knowing such sensitive information. Perhaps he would deny it. But he was hiding something. He had to be. I still remembered his face when I'd hinted at his secret—

No, that didn't matter. I didn't need to know about Claude's secrets. Not unless he wanted to tell me them himself.

For now, I would focus on my father. Even though my heart raced at even the thought of going against his orders.

Kaz let out a deep sigh. "How am I going to keep an eye on both of you this weekend?"

"Stay with Claude," I said at the same time Claude said, "Stay with Cleo."

I whipped my head toward him. "What? No. Not with me." Maybe my sister would react okay to Kaz hanging around me, but my father would murder me first, and then Kaz.

"You're in danger this weekend, too. More so than me. Every vampire knows you're here at this academy. You know yourself that there are students here who hate you, but they weren't even the ones directly affected by the Blood War, their parents were. The parents who are coming to the event this weekend. Why wouldn't they target you?"

"But that is only an if. There actually is someone after you that has access to the campus. Kaz is right. They might strike in all the chaos. He should stick with you."

Claude narrowed his eyes. "No. Kaz will stay with you. You can't defend yourself."

"You're more injured than I am."

"I'm still stronger."

I shook my head. "No. Kaz will stay with you."

"I am the prince. If I make an order, Kaz will obey it."

"Wow," San breathed. "You two really are getting along now!"

"No, we're not," Claude and I chorused.

He shot me a look. "She needs to stay alive otherwise the peace treaty will be broken."

"And you need to stay alive for the same reason," I said.

"I think I've just established I'm more capable of protecting myself than you are."

"You were literally taken out like trash."

His eyes flashed gold, and I straightened up in my seat. When he didn't respond, I took pride in knowing I finally one-upped him.

"Stop arguing," Kaz said. "I'm staying with Claude, I've made my decision."

Claude scowled at him. "Kaz."

"Cleo will be with her father. That is more protection than I can offer her."

"I don't need—"

"Whether it's a necessity or not, I'm staying with. I'm sorry, Cleo. I think you will be fine though, right?" Kaz asked, turning his attention to me.

I gave him a thumbs up. "Yes." Although that was debatable considering the nature of the conversation I was going to have with him. I didn't think it was going to go over without any problems. But I wouldn't be in any real danger.

I half-expected Claude to bicker more, but he stayed silent, jaw taut. Maybe he knew as well as I did Kaz would choose him in the end. I'd seen it before. Kaz's loyalty laid with Claude. What was the history between the two? There had to be something else other than them just being friends. Claude had told me to stab Kaz. Normal people didn't offer up their friends as targets. Nor did I think any person would keep a relationship with a friend that did. But maybe if I'd made any attempt to hurt Kaz, Claude would have stopped me. Kaz never brought it up again and acted normal with Claude, so he apparently hadn't been that bothered by it.

Which just made me even more curious about the nature of their relationship.

"San, you should stay with us too," Kaz suggested. "Better to have eyes on all sides of Claude."

"Is Claude doing something special that day?"

"Yes. He hosts the event. Everyone wants a chance to greet royalty, so he will have to meet a number of families. And as you know now, some of them aren't happy with his ruling decisions about humans. That's why I think he needs more protection than you this weekend," Kaz explained.

"Is it always this dangerous?"

"There will always be those who revolt against royalty, I told you that," Claude said. "But no. Kaz is overreacting because of the culprit from before."

Kaz folded his arms across his chest. "I'm not overreacting."

"You are."

"Your life isn't something to take lightly."

"If I die, won't that be better for you?"

Kaz's arms fell to his side. "How would that be better for me?"

Claude's tone didn't ease up. "You know how."

Kaz's looked at him for a moment with disbelief, then his expression darkened. "I'm not sure why you take such offense when someone tries to help you, but you take things too far."

It took me a moment to register that the two weren't bantering. Not like how Claude and I had been. Whatever Claude had meant, he had said it to hurt Kaz. Kaz stormed out of the room without another word.

"I'll go after him," San volunteered.

And leave me alone with Claude? "Aren't we suspended?" I said quickly.

San gave me a look like I was stupid before he hurried out the door after Kaz. I groaned inwardly. If only I could run after them, too.

Because now I would say something on Kaz's behalf.

"You're a jerk."

Claude sneered at me. "And?"

"Why are you so rude to Kaz? He clearly just wants what's best for you."

"I don't need to explain myself to you. But," he said forcefully as I opened my mouth, "since Kaz seems to be forming the same feelings toward you, I will let you know why."

I waited for him to continue.

"Kaz would risk his life needlessly for me. Something I suppose the two of you have in common."

"It's not just you," I corrected. "I would have done it for any of the others, too."

Claude brushed off my words. "The difference between you two though is that Kaz doesn't think about alternatives. He wouldn't leave me to find a weapon for a chance of survival. He would throw himself in front of me and die. He wants to stay by me this weekend because he knows he's willing to risk his life for me and does not trust anyone else to keep me safe because he does not believe they would die for me as he would. He is someone who takes things to the extreme, and he faults himself if something goes wrong."

I thought about how Kaz took everything so hard when I'd been attacked, even though it wasn't his fault at all.

"I am being strict with Kaz for his own safety," Claude continued. "You don't know him as I do. Yes, I sound cruel, but if cruelty is what it takes for Kaz to live, then it is what I will do."

How did Claude know what lengths Kaz was willing to go to him for? My eyes widened as it hit me. "Is he the one who risked his life for you before? Is that who you were talking about?" I asked.

"Yes."

"What happened?"

"He took a bullet for me."

I gasped. "A bullet? Kaz was shot?"

"It would have missed me. If Kaz hadn't moved to protect me, we would have both been fine."

"I thought guns are outlawed here."

Claude let a derisive sound out through his nose. "It wasn't here."

"It was on our side? But guns have been banned since the last Blood War. Hunters can't even use—"

"Well, someone got a hold of one," Claude said. "The means don't matter. The point is, Kaz is reckless when he cares for someone. And now he would do the same for you, too."

I gawked. "No. There's no way."

"I don't understand it either. But you better keep that in mind and keep yourself out of danger."

"Kaz wouldn't—"

"He would. And I will warn you now. If you put yourself in unnecessary danger and Kaz is killed saving you, I will break whatever agreement we've come to and bury you in the ground alongside him."

My mouth went dry. I couldn't even crack a joke about Claude threatening my life again. He was serious. And this wasn't a threat for me as a vampire hunter, it was a threat from him as Kaz's friend. He truly believed Kaz would risk his life for me.

"I won't let him," I said. "No one is dying for me."

Claude held my gaze. "You understand, then?"

"Yes."

"We will train together. You will learn how to protect yourself. And in the meantime, don't let Kaz be so concerned over you."

I only nodded, my voice betraying me under the intensity of Claude's golden eyes.

"Stay in your room and rest while we are gone tomorrow and Wednesday. You also need to be at your best for the weekend."

"I'll be fine with my father," I assured him.

Claude's eyes narrowed. "On the contrary. I have the feeling he's the most danger to you."

____________________

Ohhhh man, I'm sorry guys. This chapter was late AND terrible AND short. I don't know why I got so stuck. I think it's because I had originally planned most of this chapter to be included with sixteen, but sixteen had already been so long... I might merge it in my manuscript. It will stay like this on here, but it's not sitting right with me. I'm just going to leave it and move on because that's the best thing you can do when you get stuck like this.

In more exciting news. I got these really cute dolls of Claude and Cleo. I'm so excited to having something physical of them lol.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 400 21
Cleo Arcangela Heath was a normal 16 year old, with a normal loving family and normal friends. Note how everything's in the past tense. After the mu...
363 41 22
An enemies to lovers back to enemies story. --------- "He said we remind him of Romeo and Juliet" "Who's that?" "Two characters in a human play. Th...
3.4M 149K 82
Twenty years ago, vampires emerged from the shadows and took their place among humans. With their King and the government working together, a fragile...
241K 12K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...