Partners in Crime; A Jay Hals...

By Writer_Reader05

Y/n L/n used to be a Homicide Detective, but now, she has been transferred to the Intelligence Unit of the 21... More

Season 1; Stepping Stone
Wrong Side of the Bars
Chin Check
Now Is Always Temporary
Thirty Balloons
Conventions
The Price We Pay
Different Mistakes
A Material Witness
At Least It's Justice
Turn the Light Off
8:30 PM
My Way
The Docks
A Beautiful Friendship
Season 2; Call It Macaroni
Get My Cigarettes
The Weigh Station
Chicken, Dynamite, Chainsaw
An Honest Woman
Prison Ball
They'll Have to Go Through Me
Assignment of the Year
Called in Dead
Shouldn't Have Been Alone
We Don't Work Together Anymore
Disco Bob
A Little Devil Complex
Erin's Mom
What Do You Do
What Puts You on That Ledge
Say Her Real Name
Get Back to Even
The Three Gs
The Number of Rats
There's My Girl
Push the Pain Away
Born Into Bad News
Season 3; Life Is Fluid
Natural Born Storyteller
Actual Physical Violence
Debts of the Past
Climbing Into Bed
You Never Know Who's Who
A Dead Kid, a Notebook and a Lot of Maybes
Forget My Name
Never Forget I Love You
Now I'm God
Knocked the Family Right Out
Looking Out for Stateville
Hit Me
The Song of Gregory William Yates
A Night Owl
The Cases That Need to Be Solved
Forty-Caliber Bread Crumb
Kasual with a K
If We Were Normal
In A Duffel Bag
Justice
She's Got Us
Start Digging
Season 4; The Silos
Made a Wrong Turn
All Cylinders Firing
Big Friends, Big Enemies
A War Zone
Some Friend
300,000 Likes
A Shot Heard Around the World
Don't Bury This Case
Don't Read the News
You Wish
Sanctuary
I Remember Her Now
Seven Indictments
Favor, Affection, Malice or Ill-Will
Emotional Proximity
Remember the Devil
Little Bit of Light
Last Minute Resistance
Grasping for Salvation
Fagin
Army of One
Fork in the Road
Season 5; Reform
The Thing About Heroes
Promise
Snitch
Home
Fallen
Care Under Fire
Politics
Monster
Rabbit Hole
Confidential
Captive
Chasing Monsters
Anthem
Sisterhood
Profiles
Breaking Point
Ghosts
Payback
Saved
Allegiance
Homecoming
Season 6; New Normal
Endings
Bad Boys
Ride Along
Fathers and Sons
True or False
Trigger
Black and Blue
Descent
Brotherhood
Trust
Outrage
Night in Chicago
Ties That Bind
Good Men
The Forgotten
Pain Killer
This City
What Could Have Been
Sacrifice
Confession
Reckoning
Season 7; Doubt
Assets
Familia
Infection
Brother's Keeper
False Positive
Informant
No Regrets
Absolution
Mercy
43rd and Normal
The Devil You Know
I Was Here
Center Mass
Burden of Truth
Intimate Violence
Before the Fall
Lines
Buried Secrets
Silence of the Night
Season 8; Fighting Ghosts
Tender Age
Unforgiven
In Your Care
Equal Justice
Instinct
Protect and Serve
Impossible Dream
The Wedding
The Radical Truth
Signs of Violence
Due Process
Trouble Dolls
Safe
The Right Thing
The Other Side
Season 9; Closure
Rage
The One Next to Me
In the Dark
Burnside
End of Watch
Trust Me
Fractures
A Way Out
Home Safe
Lies

White Knuckle

1.4K 23 4
By Writer_Reader05

Yn's POV

I was sitting on the couch in the living room staring out the window. For some reason, I woke up at 4 in the morning, and now I couldn't go back to bed. That's when Jay, whose eyes also had bags under them, entered the living room.

"You couldn't go back to bed either?" Jay asked me.

I shook my head. "It's just one of those days I guess." Jay plopped down on the couch next to me and laid down, patting the spot in front of him. I smiled and laid down next to him, enjoying the heat that radiated from his body. "Well, this is definitely helping," I mutter and press my face into Jay's chest.

"I was just about to say the same thing," Jay murmured. For a few minutes, we laid there in each others arms, and finally, I fell asleep. A bit later, I was woken up because my phone was ringing from it's spot on the coffee table. Some how, Jay was still asleep, so I slipped out of his arms, grabbed my phone, and made my way into the bedroom.

"Hello?" I question, my voice laced with sleepiness.

"Hey, Yn. Did I wake you?" Kevin asked.

"No. You're good," I answer and rub my eyes. "What's up?"

"There's a new case down at the district. Voight wants everyone to come down. I'll send you what we've got so that you can catch up on the way here," Kevin spoke.

"All right. We'll be down there soon," I say and hang up the phone. I then walked back into the living room where Jay was sleeping peacefully, and sighed. I didn't want to wake him up, but we had to get to work. "Jay," I mumble and shake him softly. "We've got to go to work." Jay stirred slightly before sitting up and rubbing a hand over his face.

"All right. I'll go get dressed in a minute," Jay hummed. After getting dressed, and making ourselves coffee, Jay and I headed out to the district. On the way over, we got ourselves familiar with the case. Our victim was Isla Sherman. She had a few priors for possession, but that was about it. Her body was found in the arms of Billy Braddem, one of Chicago'd aldermen and an ex-cop. He was high off his mind when the cops found him, and he was holding the knife which was used to used to kill Isla. So, at the moment, it looked like Billy was our killer, but Voight wasn't so sure, so we were going to keep investigating. As I set my stuff down at my desk, Voight walked up to me.

"Have you ever interviewed anyone who was stoned?" Voight asked me.

"Uh, yeah. I did a lot of the interviewing back in Homicide," I respond.

"Are you good at it?" Voight questioned.

"Very," I reply.

"All right. Come with me," Voight spoke and led me to the interview room. Inside, Billy was sitting at the table, and he looked pretty out of it. "Billy, I'm Sergeant Hank Voight with the CPD." Billy didn't respond and continued to stare off into space, so I stepped in. I took a seat and reached across the table, taking Billy's hands in mine. The moment of contact caused Billy to shift his gaze to me, meaning this was working so far.

"Hey, Billy. My name's Yn. Do you know why you're here?" I ask. 

"Isla. Where is she?" Billy questioned. 

"She's dead," Voight disclosed. Billy looked away for a second, and I could tell he was losing focus again, so I gave his hands a soft squeeze to bring his attention back to me.

"Can you tell us what happened to her? The way we found you with the knife, this is a bad situation. This death looks like what we call a crime of passion, Billy. Like a fight broke out, something went wrong, a knife was grabbed from the kitchen," I explain. 

"I-I didn't kill her. T-the man killed her," Billy stammered. 

"Okay, the man. What man?" Voight asked. 

"The man in the apartment. He was white. He was in his 40s. He had green eyes. He was wearing a suit. White shirt. Blue tie with red stripes on it. He had this voice like, it was really light. And like he was telling a story. Like he knew what he wanted to say," Billy listed off. 

"You ever seen this man before?" Voight questioned. Billy shook his head. I stood up from my chair, and took my hands away from Billy's, but right after I placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"You did good, Billy. We'll be back soon," I say.

.............................

"Where is my son?" Alderman Braddem asked Platt as I walked down the stairs. 

"Sir, your son's upstairs," I tell him. 

"Upstairs? You've got him in a box? You found him high?" Braddem questioned. 

"Yes, sir. He was high," I answer. 

"You're questioning my son without a lawyer while he's high? Are you kidding me? Why the hell is he upstairs without a lawyer? I am going to have your badge," Braddem yelled and took a few menacing steps towards me. In response to his outburst, I flinched and took a step back, closing my eyes. Somewhere along the road, I had developed a dislike towards shouting.

"Hey hey," Trudy and Adam called out at the same time, which stopped Braddem from walking towards me.

"Alderman, I'm just doing my job," I state. 

"You won't be for much longer. I will tear you apart in front of the media," Braddem announced.

"Alderman Braddem. Deputy Superintendent Miller," Miller said and stepped in. 

"I want to see my kid. I need to be in there," Braddem demanded. 

"And I will help you do that, just not in the hallway and not while raising our voices. Right this way," Miller voiced and gestured to the small office that branched off of the lobby. Alderman Braddem huffed, but followed her finger along with the man he had with him, who looked like a lawyer. "Detective Ln," Miller spoke and nodded in my direction.

"Superintendent," I murmur politely as she walked into the office with Braddem, shutting the door behind her.

"Hey. You all right?" Adam asked and put his arm around me.

"Yeah. I'm good," I respond. "Lets just get back upstairs."

"Hey. You okay?" Jay questioned as Adam and I entered the bullpen. "You look a little shaken up."

"Alderman Braddem kind of went after her downstairs," Adam exclaimed, causing both boys to look at me worriedly.

I waved them off. "I'll be fine, guys. I just need a minute."

"Tell me we've got something," Voight said.  

"I confirmed a blue Sedan outside Isla's apartment around the time of death. Caught it coming and going. Matches the witness' time frame, but there's no POD outside of Isla's. So the car turns into her block, I lose it, and I catch it leaving minutes later," Kim informed us. 

"So we can't confirm the plates or that it was even outside of Isla's. It's possible somebody exited the car, went into the apartment, but we have zero way to prove that," Jay explained. 

"Hey, I think I got something. The TV was on in Isla's apartment last night, so I followed a feeling, and this was playing during the time of death," Hailey proclaimed and showed us her computer screen, which had this morning's news on it, along with a man who matched Billy's description of the killer. "White male, 40s. Gray hair, green eyes. Blue and red tie. Suit. And a voice like he's telling a story. It can happen during trauma. Brain's wires get crossed, latches onto the wrong thing. I don't think Billy has any idea what's real."

So Voight and I went back to talk to Billy a bit later, who was now sober, and we asked for his story. He told us that he met Isla at a meeting around a year ago, and they hit it off. They started using each other for support after that. For the past year, the two were sober, until last night. Isla had texted Billy saying that she felt bad. When Billy got there at around 8, Isla had a huge black duffel bag filled with drugs. He then re-encountered how he fell asleep in her room and woke up to Isla arguing with someone. Billy said he heard a struggle go down, but fell back asleep before he could do anything. When he woke up again this morning, he found Isla's body, and he claimed that he pulled the knife out of her, which is why he was holding it when Voight and Kevin arrived at the scene.

"So I ran Isla's cell phone. Everything matches with Billy's story, except for when she texted him to tell him she felt bad. She was all the way out in Lake Forest," Adam spoke. 

"Lake Forest? She has connections out there?" Hailey questioned. 

"Billy never mentioned anything, but the phone tagged her location. She was definitely there," Adam stated. 

"All right. Good. Let's run with that. You, Atwater, and Upton," Voight said.

So, at the house, Kevin, Hailey, and Adam met a woman named Hadley, who seemed nice enough, except she was hiding a dope kitchen in her basement. She claimed she didn't know it was there and lawyered up, meaning we couldn't touch her anymore. However, Jay found something.

"Check this out. This is Tim Rollins. He's 36 years old. He's got a history of violence, two priors for drug possession with intent to distribute in Indiana. Now, Hadley has calls, Venmo requests, and social media hits with this guy. So does Isla. And her social media is loaded with pictures of the two of them right up until when she met Billy," Jay explained. 

"Ex-boyfriend. The drugs are definitely his. Isla knew it. She was itching. She went back. She stole the drugs," Kim suggested. 

"Bring him in," Voight said. Kevin, Adam, and I headed over to Tim's place, and just as we got there, he walked out the front door. However, as soon as he saw us, he took off running down the alley. Kevin split apart from Adam and I to go around the back, and as Adam and I continued running, I took a left turn in an attempt to cut him off. As I was trying to find Tim and Adam, I heard a single gunshot, and I immediately feared the worst.

"Adam!" I shout and run into a backyard, whose gate was open, only to find Adam laying on the ground. "5021 Union. 10-1. 10-1. Shots fired. Officer down. Roll an ambo to the west alley of Bell. Where is he?" 

"He's gone," Adam muttered as I holstered my gun.

"Let me get this off," I say and start taking off his vest.

"I'm good. I'm good," Adam repeated. 

"Shut up. You don't know that," I tell him and toss his vest to the side, lifting up his shirt to see one hell of a bruise. "It didn't go through. It hit your rib. Are you breathing all right?" 

Adam groaned. "I'm fine. The wind's just knocked out of me." 

"Ruz!" Kevin called out and ran over to us. 

"Did you call in backup? Where the hell was patrol?" I ask.

"They're not rolling with me. I'm sorry, bro," Kevin said to Adam.

.............................................

"We've got Rollins entering the Wilson CTA stop two minutes after your call, Ruz, and then exiting again at Belmont," Jay stated. 

"Rollins has a cousin that lives two blocks from Belmont. It's a great place to hide out," Hailey pointed out. 

"All right, we are not relying on Patrol this time. We secure the location and contain the perimeter ourselves, understood? Let's do it" Voight said. At the house, Adam and I were waiting at the back door while the rest of the team was at the front.

"Yn, Adam, he's heading your way," Kim spoke over the radio. Just after she said that, the back door opened and Tim ran out. I managed to grab the back of his shirt and yanked him down to ground where Adam slid down to keep him from moving. 

"Offender in custody," I announce over my radio, which caused Jay and Hailey to run over to us to cuff Tim. Adam sat back and winced in pain, seeing as he had hit his already injured side when he tried to keep Tim down. I pulled a gun from Tim's waistband and held it up to him.

"Is this the gun you shot my partner with asshole?" I question as Hailey and Jay pulled him to his feet. 

"Come on. Lets go," Hailey told Tim as her and Jay led him away. Adam groaned as he stood up, placing a hand against his side.

"You good?" I ask him.

"I think so," Adam replied.

"Come on," I say and wrap my arm around him. "Lets get back to the district." Since we had our guy, the case was over, and we could go home.

"How's Adam doing?" Jay asked me as he joined me on the couch.

"He'll be fine. He just needs to take it easy from here on out," I answer. "If we had patrol, the whole thing wouldn't have happened though. But I trust that Kevin is working things out. He's going to find a way to get past this whole blue wall thing. I know that for sure."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 2.8K 85
This story based on 2 years after Erin left to go to New York to take a job to keep Bunny out of jail. I kept Alvin Olinksey alive in the story as we...
41.2K 535 35
Jordan Hermandez used to be a ranger with Jay but left a few years before him due to her mother's illness. They never spoke again or even knew if eac...
127K 2.3K 47
A case seems to spiral downwards only to find itself becoming personal to the intelligence unit... -Chicago PD-
75.2K 965 19
A freshly qualified detective joins the intelligence unit run by hank Voight, everyone takes immediate liking to her, apart from her new partner jay...