The Faded Portrait of a Bygon...

By SpareOomOfRivendell

Five Royals ruled over Narnia, crowned by Aslan himself. Their story is legend throughout all the land. A gre... More

A Curious Beginning
Narnia, Again
The Arrest of Mister Tumnus
Gifts Long Overdue
The Great Aslan
A Moment to Last Forever
Lost in Shadow
The Red Lady
Keeper of Dreams
Return of the Queen
He Who Leads
Destiny and Fate
Time at Last to Rest
The Hour of Doom
Homeward Bound
Once a King or Queen
A Discovery at Narrowhaven
Diaries and Duels
Ordinary Dreams
Storm Warning
Deathwater Island
Signs of Magic
We Have Our Heading
How the Needle Spins
Dark Island
There Shall Find the Utter East
Epilogue
A Revelation in Archenland - One Shot
The Third Arrow - One Shot

Written in the Stars

1.6K 38 1
By SpareOomOfRivendell

When morning came, the soft light of the dawn filtered through the flap of the tent, coaxing Maggie from her sleep. It was much earlier than she'd normally wake, but she felt more rested than ever, having gone to bed in the early evening the previous day. Lucy and Susan were still asleep, so Maggie slipped out quietly, trying not to wake them.

The sun hadn't risen fully yet, and the sky was brushed with red and gold. Maggie didn't have a destination in mind, but something drew her outside. As she gazed across the camp, taking in the scene, she spotted Oreius out of the corner of her eye. He must have come back from rescuing Edmund. Sure enough, she saw the fourth Pevensie boy following Aslan up to a grassy knoll, no doubt for a lengthy conversation.

Oreius spotted Maggie standing there, and she waved uncertainly. He gave an amused smile, so she headed over to him.

"Hello..."

"My lady," he acknowledged, dipping his head. "Aslan said you might come to speak with me."

Maggie nodded.

"Yeah... I mean, yes. He told me you could teach me about the stars?"

"Indeed, I can... though, perhaps, not at this precise moment."

Maggie laughed softly. "Well that's understandable..." The last of the stars were fading now.

Oreius looked thoughtful. "There is one I can show you... it is fortunate you awoke at this hour. There..." He pointed out a small, glimmering star that almost looked like a miniscule moon. "Aravir, the Morning Star. She greets us every day once the moon has set."

Maggie watched the star in fascination.

"You must study the stars," Oreius said, "Learn their names. For once you know them each by name, you may better understand what they mean to tell you."

Just then, a curious thought occurred to Maggie.

"Will they actually speak to me, with voices?" She paused. "Maybe that's a silly question... it's just that, in my world, stars aren't alive. They aren't people, they're just objects in space."

Oreius, thankfully, was understanding.

"They will not be heard, my lady, but the stars certainly are people. On occasion, they are even able to come down to speak with us, in a form similar to yours. But they could never be mistaken for human."

"I think I see..." Maggie said. "So... it's important to know the stars by name because their movement will tell me what I need to know about the future?"

Oreius nodded.

"When you become acquainted with them, you learn to see how they move, and why. Aslan tells me you are his Oracle... the Seer of Narnia. Your dreams will tell you what the stars do not, and when your dreams lack clarity, the stars will provide it."

It shouldn't have made sense, logically, but to Maggie, it did. Everything Oreius told her made sense in her head. She knew what he meant, even through his poetic words.

"Come and speak to me tonight," Oreius said. "I will bring Clemendia, for she is most adept at teaching on these matters."

"Yes, sir," Maggie said with a smile. He gave her a bit of a funny look at that, but he said nothing more.

Just then, off to the right, Peter stepped out of his tent, looking around until he spotted the two of them.

Oreius didn't say a word, but directed his gaze to where Edmund still stood talking to Aslan. Peter's face morphed from confusion to disbelief, then relief.

"Here is where I leave you, my lady," Oreius told Maggie.

She nodded to him. "I'll meet you later on, then."

With that, he took his leave.

Maggie walked over to Peter, who had stopped just in front of the girls' tent. Susan walked out right then, smiling at the two of them when she spotted them. Lucy followed right behind. The two of them noticed what Peter was looking at, and their faces brightened.

"Edmund!" Lucy cried happily, rushing towards him. But, Peter gently caught her, holding her back. She seemed confused, but Peter knew that the conversation between his brother and the great lion needed to remain private.

Aslan and Edmund both looked over at the sound of Lucy's voice. Maggie thought Edmund looked rather well, all things considered. Aslan gave him one last knowing nod, and the two of them began to walk towards the other children.

When Edmund finally stood before them, he avoided their gazes.

"What's done is done," Aslan told them all firmly. "There is no need to speak to Edmund about what is past." He said nothing more as he turned away, leaving them all to speak alone.

Finally, Edmund looked up at them, hesitantly.

"Hello..." he murmured.

Lucy was the first to wrap him in a hug. Without even thinking of whether or not Edmund might think it odd, Maggie rushed to hug him as well, with Susan right behind.

He hugged each of them in turn, only pausing slightly at seeing Maggie.

"Are you alright?" Susan asked him. Not in the bossy, motherly tone she had used at the beginning of the journey, but in a gentle, sisterly way.

"I'm a little tired," Edmund admitted.

"Get some sleep," Peter said kindly. Edmund must have misread his tone and expression, for he shrank slightly and turned to walk towards the tent.

"And Edmund..." Peter called after him. His brother faced him apprehensively. "Try not to wander off..." Immediately, the younger boy relaxed, a small smile making its way to his face.

He went off to the tent where Vitarius awaited, no doubt with fresh clothes and a real bed at the ready.

Later, once Edmund had woken again, a centaur Maggie didn't recognize came to collect them all, letting them know that a lunch had been prepared for them. The food was quite wonderful, and they all enjoyed a leisurely meal. All except Edmund, that is. He ate as if there were no time left in the world.

Peter, having finished his meal, was standing off a ways with a cup in his hand, leaning against a little cliffside uphill. He looked deep in thought, and Maggie thought is best not to bother him just then.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Ed," Lucy teased, getting a little chuckle from him.

"I'm sure they'll pack something up for the journey back," came Peter's voice.

The other four looked at him in confusion.

"We're going home?" Susan asked incredulously. Maggie thought it ironic that just a few days ago, she had been the one wanting to return so badly.

Peter sighed. "You are," he told them, coming over to sit with them again. "I promised Mum I'd keep you three safe, and I daresay that extends to you too, Maggie. You're as good as blood family." Looking around at their expectant faces, he continued. "But that doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help."

While Maggie admired the sentiment, there was no way she was leaving the boy she'd come to love as a brother to fight this battle alone, and she knew the other three certainly wouldn't stand for it.

"But they need us," Lucy protested. "All five of us."

"Lucy, it's too dangerous," Peter said, willing her to understand. "You almost drowned! Edmund was almost killed! Maggie nearly froze to death the first day we got here!"

"Which is why we have to stay..." Edmund spoke up softly. He looked at each of them, seeming uncertain, but he pressed on anyways. "I've seen what the White Witch can do... and I've helped her do it. And we can't leave these people behind to suffer for it." With every word he spoke, his passion grew, as did his confidence.

Gone was the snarky, hateful boy Maggie had first met at Tumnus' house. Now, she saw before her a lion-hearted friend, and a true brother. Peter had such a proud look on his face, it was a wonder he didn't start glowing.

"I suppose that's it, then," Susan said decisively, rising from the table.

"Where are you going?" Peter asked.

She grabbed her bow and horn, turning back to them all with a sly grin.

"To get in some practice."

And over the course of the next two weeks, that's exactly what they did. The White Witch was oddly silent during that time, but Oreius told them that she must be recovering from their attack when they recovered Edmund. In addition to that, he said it would take time for her to gather her troops.

Luckily for the five children, this gave them plenty of time to prepare. Peter and Edmund had begun to train in swordsmanship under Oreius' critical eye. By now, they had learned the basics, so the centaur had insisted they learn how to fight from horseback. At the moment, they were off somewhere sparring together.

Maggie had been carefully studying the stars with Oreius and Clemendia each night, and she had very nearly memorized all the important stars. Nearly. She had also managed to acquire a sword, and Clemendia seemed eager enough to teach her, though most days she spent practicing with Susan, so she wasn't yet on the same skill level as the boys.

Susan and Maggie had both made good progress with their bows. At first, neither of them had even been able to hit the target. Although, Maggie rather thought Susan ought to be making much more progress than herself, since Father Christmas had said that her bow was enchanted not to miss. Susan was just missing that one key ingredient he'd also mentioned: trust. She was having a difficult time believing in both herself and her bow.

Nevertheless, the two of them were both able to hit the target now. Maggie only just barely, but progress still. Lucy often joined the two archers, sometimes even attempting to hit the target with her dagger just for the fun of it.

Today was one such day.

Susan stepped up to shoot first. Her arrow landed solidly, just inside the border of the black ring.

"Close one, Su," Maggie encouraged.

"My closest one so far..." Though she didn't seem terribly enthused.

"Just remember what Father Christmas said," she reminded again.

"I know, I know," Susan grumbled. "Go on then, it's your turn now."

Maggie readied her arrow, nocking it on the string. She slowly inhaled as she drew it back, her muscles much more accustomed to the weight now than they had first been. A beat passed, then... she let the arrow fly. It landed just to the right of Susan's, slightly higher. That was definitely progress from the most outer ring.

"Nice shot, Maggie!" Susan said, grinning.

Lucy gave them both a knowing look, and drew her dagger. She threw it right at the center of the target, and it stuck there firmly.

"Wow, amazing job, Lu!" Maggie praised.

Just then, Peter and Edmund rode up over the ridge, into the bit of empty space beside the archery field. Evidently, their vigorous sparring had led them here. Peter sat atop a beautiful, white unicorn, and Edmund rode a handsome, chestnut stallion.

"Come on, Ed!" Peter called. "Sword point up, like Oreius showed us!"

The three girls paused in their own training and turned to watch.

"En garde!" Edmund said, grinning.

"Now block!"

"Hey!"

"Peter! Edmund!" came a voice. It was Mr. Beaver, scurrying towards them. His approach startled Edmund's horse, who reared up.

"Whoa, horsie!" he said.

The horse snorted in disdain. "My name is Phillip," he grumbled.

"Oh," Edmund said, looking awkward. "Sorry..."

"The Witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan!" Mr. Beaver said urgently. "She's on her way here. Everyone is gathering at Aslan's tent."

The girls rushed over to them upon overhearing the news.

"What does she want?" Maggie asked.

"Nobody knows," Beaver replied, "But you all had better come quick!"

Peter reached down and helped Susan up onto the unicorn with him, and Edmund likewise brought Maggie and Lucy up onto Phillip. With Mr. Beaver running alongside them, they rode back to the main camp.

When they arrived, many of the troops had gathered there, murmuring amongst themselves. Oreius brought the children to stand close to Aslan's tent, and sent Phillip and the unicorn to take some rest after the training session they'd just had with the boys. Soon, the crowd further towards the entrance of the camp began to jeer and hiss.

The irritating voice of the Witch's cronie, a Black Dwarf called Ginarrbrik according to Edmund, rang out above the din.

"Jadis, the Queen of Narnia!" he declared.

"Go away, Witch!" a faun shouted.

Undeterred, the dwarf continued.

"Empress of the Lone Islands!"

"You don't belong here!"

"Go away!"

But her caravan came ever closer. Soon, she was within sight of the five children. Since Edmund had last seen her, she had abandoned her heavy, fur coat, and her crown of icicles had melted away to almost nothing. She sat atop a chair, carried by four brutish-looking cyclops. They brought her close to where Aslan awaited, then set the litter down so she could stand.

Ignoring the glares of the crowd which had now fallen silent, the Witch strode forward, eyeing Edmund as she approached Aslan.

"You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan."

The troops all muttered amongst themselves. Everyone knew what Edmund had done, but Aslan had forgiven him, and that was more than enough for them. What was the Witch playing at?

"His offense was not against you," Aslan said firmly.

"Have you forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built?"

Aslan snarled in response. "Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written."

The Witch didn't seem fazed by this. On the contrary, she looked almost pleased.

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. His blood is my property."

Swiftly, Peter drew his sword, and several soldiers behind him followed his lead.

"Try and take him, then," he challenged, placing himself between his brother and the Witch.

She watched him, unimpressed.

"Do you really think that mere force will deny me my right... little king?" She turned away from him, watching Aslan as she continued. "Aslan knows that unless I have blood, as the law demands..." Turning dramatically, she addressed the whole crowd. "All of Narnia will be overturned... and perish in fire and water."

Pointing accusingly at Edmund, she declared, "That boy will die! On the Stone Table... as is tradition. You dare not refuse me."

The Narnia army protested, clamoring against her, but Aslan silenced everyone.

"Enough," he spoke firmly. "I shall talk with you alone." He said no more, and the White Witch followed him into his tent.

The five children looked at each other.

"What do you think will happen?" Lucy asked in a small voice.

"There's no way Aslan will let her get away with this," Maggie reassured, looking at Edmund.

"It sounds like there's not much Aslan can do about it," Edmund said, fixing his gaze on the ground.

"Don't think like that," Peter said, resting a hand on his shoulder. "Aslan will find a way."

There was only so much time they could spend attempting to reassure themselves that Aslan would fix everything before it got old. Lucy's feet started to hurt, so she sat in the grass, and over time, the rest of the crowd followed suit. It felt as though they waited ages, but finally, the White Witch emerged.

Peter got to his feet, and the army followed his lead. A few fauns and satyrs came close to Edmund, as if ready to defend him, should Jadis try to take him. The Witch gave a long, hard look to Edmund, but turned away. The children all looked at each other. What did it mean?

Aslan exited the tent as the Witch returned to her litter. All eyes fell to him. The crowd waited with bated breath.

"She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adam's blood," he declared.

The four children immediately wrapped Edmund in hugs and congratulations, and the army began to celebrate, but the Witch interrupted them.

"How do I know your promise will be kept?"

All attention returned to Aslan.

Rather than speak, he roared, so loudly that the White Witch fell back into her seat in fear. The Narnian troops laughed and cheered at that, resuming their celebration as the Witch was carried away.

Lucy hugged Edmund tightly once more, and he lifted her off the ground in his happiness. Maggie wrapped him in her arms next, then let him move away to receive congratulations from a group of Red Dwarves. It was then that she noticed Lucy watching Aslan. His gaze was heavy, and he looked back at Maggie and Lucy with great, sad eyes. Without joining the celebration, he turned and disappeared into his tent once more. Lucy became distracted by one of the dwarves giving his congratulations, but Maggie's mind lingered on what she had seen.

Her dream was beginning to make much more sense... but she needed to consult the stars tonight to be certain. For now, she could let herself be happy.

By the time everyone had finished wishing Edmund their congratulations, it was nearly dark. The children went their separate ways to bed, and Maggie went to meet Oreius and Clemendia at the edge of the camp. They kept far enough away that the firelight wouldn't interfere, but close enough to stay within the sight of the sentries should any danger occur.

"Now, tell me again, the names of the western stars," Oreius said.

"The brightest is called... Nerilidan?"

Clemendia nodded approvingly, but Oreius kept his face passive.

"And what is her title?" Clemendia prompted.

"The Lady of Fortune."

"Very good. Now, what does she tell you on this night?"

"Well..." Maggie looked at the stars closest to Nerilidan, carefully observing. "She's passing nearby Berund, the Lord of Ages. They speak of a time of peace and prosperity for Narnia... a Golden Age. That's referring to mine and my family's arrival, isn't it? The prophecy?"

Oreius smiled.

"Indeed, it is. You have learned much in these past weeks. Soon, you shall come to know the signs of the stars without our aid."

"Tell me," Clemendia said, "What do you see tonight? Your gifts have grown, and though I have not yet taught you all their names, I sense that you may hear what they wish you to, nevertheless. Look up at the heavens, my young Queen, and listen well."

Maggie obeyed, turning her attention to the night sky above. Carefully, she looked over all of the stars, waiting to see which would draw her gaze. Finally, she pointed out a little cluster.

"There... those three. They have a message for me. But I'm unfamiliar with these... They're sort of... confusing."

Oreius and Clemendia exchanged glances.

"Those three?" Oreius asked. "Are you certain?"

"Yes..." Maggie said. "Why?"

Clemendia looked troubled as she answered, "Diavera, the Lady of Despair, Tolovere, the Lord of Grief... and Camalkin, the Lady of Hope."

"That's... an odd combination," Maggie murmured.

"Indeed, it is..." Oreius said. "But if they are speaking to you, it must be of great importance."

Maggie paused, thinking it over, then suddenly, it clicked.

"Oh..." She looked up at the two centaurs. "I have to go..."

Clemendia nodded. "As you must, my lady."

Maggie quickly rushed off to find Aslan, hoping she wasn't too late. When she arrived at his tent, he had only just stepped out.

"Aslan!" she whispered softly. He turned his knowing gaze to her.

"You understand now," he said softly.

"Yes..." Maggie said, stepping closer, until he could have knocked her over with his nose if he had wanted to. "You're taking Edmund's place, aren't you?" Aslan said nothing, but the look in his eyes confirmed her words. "But that's not all... there's something to do with magic. You're going to be okay in the end, aren't you? Isn't that why the stone in my dream was broken? And why Camalkin, the Lady of Hope was speaking to me?"

"Oreius and Clemendia have taught you well," Aslan said simply.

"Can I come with you, Aslan?" she asked softly. "You shouldn't be alone..."

He regarded her with a gentle look. "If you wish, dear one. But you must promise you will not tell the others of what you know."

Maggie frowned at that. "But Aslan, why not? They'll be so heartbroken."

"I know, dear Margaret, but they must come into their own without me. I will not always be around during your reign, and they must learn how to stand on their own. If they know of the Deep Magic, then they will rely on my power rather than their own. Do you understand?"

"I... I think so," Maggie said. "They have to prove to themselves what they're capable of..."

Aslan nodded. "Indeed... Can you promise this to me?"

"I promise, Aslan."

"Good... then we must be off. Jadis will be expecting me."

Maggie gently threaded her fingers in his mane, and he led her along past the rest of the tents, to the edge of the woods and beyond. She was rather glad she had forgotten to take off her sword, bow, and compass before meeting Oreius. They might come in handy if she would be facing the Witch soon. After a while, Aslan paused.

"Shouldn't you both be in bed?" he said softly.

Maggie turned to see Lucy and Susan coming out from behind a tree.

"We couldn't sleep..." Lucy said.

"Please, Aslan," Susan said, "Couldn't we come with you?"

He looked to Maggie with those same, sad eyes.

"I would be glad of the company for a while. Thank you."

Lucy and Susan mirrored Maggie on his other side, gently petting his mane as he began to walk once more. He said nothing more to the three of them until they had seemingly arrived at their destination.

"It is time," he said with a knowing look at Maggie. "From here, I must go on alone."

"But Aslan..." Susan started.

"You have to trust me, for this must be done," he replied gently. "Thank you, Susan. Thank you, Lucy. Thank you, Margaret... and farewell."

He turned and walked on, alone.

Maggie could only watch as he went, her heart heavy. Once he had gone a ways away, she turned to head back, but Susan had other ideas. She cut across, to the side, finding a vantage point, from which the three of them could see the Witch's army crowded around the Stone Table.

Reluctantly, Maggie followed. She couldn't exactly stop them...

They watched as Aslan climbed the steps up to the Table, enduring the jeers and taunts of all manner of dark creatures without protest. They were clearly all afraid of him. Maggie wagered that their confidence was hanging by the thread of the White Witch's guarantee of the deal.

Speaking of Jadis, she stood atop the Table, holding a knife in her hands. When Aslan reached the foot of the Table, she said something that made her troops laugh and sneer, but it was too far away for the girls to be able to hear. Her minotaur second-in-command stepped up, and with a nod from her, knocked Aslan to the ground with his axe. The wretched creatures all cheered.

"Why doesn't he fight back?" Lucy asked desperately, but Maggie said nothing.

"Bind him!" they heard the Witch shout. Her creatures eagerly moved to do just that, but she stopped them with another inaudible command.

The soldiers converged on Aslan again, blocking the girls' view of him. It was only when they saw the fur flying that they realized what was happening.

Once that was over with, they slowly dragged him up onto the Table in front of the Witch. The cheering and shrieking and roaring grew louder and louder until the Witch silenced them with a wave of her hand. Then, it started.

A circle of hags banged their staffs against the ground in rhythm. Somewhere, tambourines joined in, and wolves howled in harmony.

The Witch leaned down to speak to Aslan, far too quietly for the girls to hear, but when she stood once more, she shouted over the crowd.

"Tonight... the Deep Magic... will be appeased! But tomorrow... we will take Narnia... forever!"

The crowd cheered and screeched wildly, the music picking up in tempo.

"In that knowledge, despair... and DIE!"

Maggie flinched when the Witch brought the knife down on Aslan. Beside her, Lucy and Susan gasped. Knowing what was coming hadn't made it any easier to watch. She and the other two began to cry. Lucy and Susan held each other tightly.

"The great cat... is DEAD!" the Witch cried. Her eyes were do dark, they almost looked black, as if reflecting the evil in her soul. She turned to the minotaur. "General," she called to him, over the din of celebration. "Prepare your troops for battle. However short it may be..."

And then, they were gone. Just like that, it was all over. Aslan was dead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.2K 2.1K 70
[Book 1/5 of The Legacy Saga] Life is like a calm river. When we make decisions, we create ripples that determine the fate of our future. This was So...
153K 4.5K 22
Emily isn't the same as before. She has lived 1300 years in a Narnia invaded by the Telmarines. Little does she know, that the boy she saved in the f...
15.1K 260 15
Around a year after they have returned from Narnia Edmund falls ill and the doctors believe they cannot save them. A message from Aslan reaches the P...
5.6K 163 14
☪︎ℬℴℴ𝓀 𝒯𝓌ℴ☪︎ Odette Pevensie is ready to go back to Narnia. She knows her and her siblings are not done and she's starting to become impatient. Ho...