The Search for Cinderella

By WaitingForEnd

After being left destitute by her stepmother Jade must dress up as a man to make a respectable living since s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Epilogue
Drabble 1: Ring

Chapter 32

5.8K 343 82
By WaitingForEnd

In the past few months Jade forgot most of her dreams or perhaps never dreamed at all but tonight was different. She dreamt of the biting, freezing water and the razor sharp rock that sliced through her skin. She slammed against one rock and then other. The witch it seems to have dissolved into nothingness once she lost her grip on her captive.

Jade gradually awoke with a sense of calm. She was now certain the witch was no longer a threat. The girl fumbled for her staff and arose from the foldable bed. The tent was empty barring her own belongings for it was erected especially for her.

As soon as Jade peeked out of the canvas door after her toiletry she was greeted with a sight of the Prince chiseling wood with his trusty axe. She was certain he had been positioned himself outside her tent entrance deliberately.

"Good, you're ready for exercise," The man said brightly. He looked as if all the worries in the world had been lifted from his shoulders. His whole countenance was brighter, lighter in a way he had never been before.

"Me? Why?" Jade's brown eyes widened as she pointed at herself. Her eyebrows did a complex dance before finally settling down.

"Just because you're no longer under my tutelage does not mean I do not seek betterment for you. The lack of exercise is not good for your injuries," Luke shook his head as if reprimanding her but his tone contained no acid. 

"Err... I'm not exactly well enough for energetic exercise," The tall girl scratched her nose. She was still limping and aching in various places.

"Its an endless cycle. When you feel unwell you do not exercise and when you do not exercise you feel unwell. Once you start exerting yourself you will notice the difference," The Prince explained. He stood from his spot with a graceful sweep of his robe and gestured to his left.

"Oh very well. I cannot dissuade you it seems," Jade limped out of the tent with her staff supporting her entire weight. She was bundled up in a heavy cloak and had her scarf tightly wound on her head.

The Prince took her to an emptied patch of field and showed her various exercises beneficial for her body. His heavy cloak impeded his movements so he swiftly pulled it off braving the frigid wind. Jade admired his well built form discreetly.

It was not like the time Jade had been trained to fight. The repetitive movements centered around her injuries. When Dimtiri walked into the grove his expressions brightened at the sight of them.

"Tell me you're here to announce a fine breakfast," Jade declared. Her leg was propped on a rock while Luke held her ankle.

"Keep moving," The Prince scolded.

"Perhaps my feminine energy will not allow for further exertion," Jade freed her ankle from his iron grip and slumped down on the floor. Her legs splayed under her skirt but the volume of the outfit hid her ungraceful movements.

"Maybe she is exhausted," Dimitri's heavy brow was raised.

"She's lying through her teeth," Luke proclaimed with a scoff, "Back on your feet. You must exercise if you are to heal."

"I... could take over," Dimitri asked, "I was here to relieve you of the night duty. You must have some rest, your highness."

"I suppose," The Prince reached for his outerwear reluctantly, "Carry on... I must give the group instructions for the journey. If you shall excuse me."

The Prince did not look like he wanted to remove himself from the scene but marched away giving the remaining pair an indescribable look.

"Stop gazing at him like that if you do not wish for him to know you still hold feelings for him," The bodyguard chided with a broad grin, "Exhibit some of the acting skills you showcased at the palace."

"I am not looking," Jade hissed as she tore her stare from the Prince's back. He was doing absolutely nothing enchanting but she could not look away. It was as if her eyes were parched and he was the only source of sustenance.

"If you're too craven to make a move then don't pine after him so overtly," Dimtiri sighed knowing his friend was a lost cause.

"Make a move? I'm not playing chess," Jade placed her leg back on the rock and pushed her weight on it like she had been taught.

"No, you're not playing at all. Talk to him," Her friend was firm.

"He will laugh if I made my feelings known- No, of course he won't. That would be a poor estimation of his character," Jade shook her head with a solemn look, "Stop stuffing my head with fluff. I am decidedly not the one for him."

"Why can't it be you? Your circumstances were suitable before you inherited even a single coin. Now that your social status has elevated not even your biggest critics could have anything to say about your suitability," The stocky man wondered.

"My deceit will not be able to remain hidden. My face is too well known. I cannot be in his social circle much less be at his side," The girl sighed. She placed her foot on the ground, losing all steam. 

"They may treat it as a lark. A funny little anecdote!" Dimtiri chirped.

"And they may not. He already has many rumours surrounding him. I wish he would find peace in a beautiful companion who would shut all their mouths. No one should dare call him the mad prince again," Jade exclaimed. She kicked a pebble out of the way as she headed back towards the camp, her staff firmly by her side.

"You're not ugly, Jade, if
that's what you're implying," The shorter man was stubborn.  

"Did you see the girl of his dreams?" Jade whispered, "I cannot fathom meeting someone so beautiful ever again much less be her. When his heart moves on to another he will stop once again with his breath stolen from him by the dainty vision of grace and good looks. I will never have that reaction from him. He's seen me at my ugliest, at my worst."

"He is not some vain fellow with only an eye on beauties. He would've dabbled in the many good-looking admirers thrown his way. You've seen them. Friendship is a solid base for a budding romance. He is not unmoved by you. I am certain," Dimtri pushed aside a dry branch for his limping friend.

"We have been friends for so long where is our lovestory?" Jade laughed bitterly at her childhood friend. If all it took for a romance was a deep abiding friendship then it was Dimtiri she should have been paired off with.

"He heard us," The shorter man whispered instead of indulging in his friend's tomfoolery, "The Prince was walking by with another log and I'm certain he heard us."

"How much could he have heard. He's too far," Jade spied Luke's retreating back a distance away from them.

"Well, there it goes. Should I update my betting board for today when you declare your true love to him," Dimitri asked, "It's not like he doesn't know. You said it yourself that the witch revealed your love for him."

"Betting board? What have you been up to behind my back," Jade growled. She would have grabbed her friend by the collar and shook him silly if she weren't an invalid.

"I started one during our last trip and most of the soldiers were very interested in placing bets!" The bodyguard's grin widened.

"I wasn't even a woman for them!"

"True, but when has it ever stopped true love," Dimtiri's shoulders shuddered with poorly concealed amusement.

"You have stolen my ability to speak. I have nothing to say!" Jade wobbled unsteadily on the uneven surface.

"I congratulate myself. Find him and say something," The friend urged. He had an eager look in eyes as if waiting for a conclusion to their suffering but Jade was not persuaded. She wandered back to the dwindling camp fire and sat down on a log with an ungraceful descent. Before she could blink Sir Joseph had a warm breakfast in front of her face.

"You are a prime article among men, Sir Joseph. This is exactly what I need," Jade declared and blew over the steaming hot meal. 

"You are easily satisfied then," Luke took his place next to his former secretary. Everyone always knew he was going to sit next to her. Even after so long their routine hadn't changed.

Jade stared at him and wondered what Dimitri's fussing was all about. Luke's words were congenial and showed no sign that he was affected by the overhead conversation. Or that he overheard anything at all.

"Perhaps Sir Joseph knows his way around women," Jade uttered, giving the blushing cook a wink and broad grin.

"Then he must teach me. I am, despite two long quests, still a bachelor," The Prince was given his own plate which he dug into.

"Maybe third time's the charm," The tall girl retorted, archly.

"Keep yourself safe and I shan't have to pull off a third," Luke eyes did not leave his meal as he spoke while Jade stilled at his implication. She finished her meal in silence while the men around her packed their belongings. The pair had not looked at each other the entire time.

"Should I assist you up to the carriage, my Lady?" Luke asked as he dropped the plate in the washing pale. He removed her empty onesfrom her lap and disposed of it as well.

Jade nodded numbly and allowed him to take her hand. She was helped up in her carriage where her belongings were waiting for her. From outside her carriage Dimtiri displayed many handsignals but his friend ignored him and  slammed her shutters shut.

...

Everyday of their journey in the flat plains of the valley Luke would awaken Jade before dawn and have her repetitively move various limbs. Sometimes he would offer exercise for her hands, other times for her wayward limbs.

"I cannot jump in a skirt. It would be unseemly," Jade declared as if that had stopped her before.

"I could find you male clothing if you desire," Luke asked in quiet tones. He stood with his arms behind his back as if ruminating the possibility of his suggestion.

"I wouldn't want induce a fit of vapours if you saw my ankles," The former secretary jeered and rid of the matter entirely.

"You are not funny as you think," Luke expressed his dour thoughts, "I am comfortable as long as you are."

"Hmph, as much as I am comfortable in male clothing I must contend myself to get ready to transition back into feminine clothing," Jade sighed. She almost wished the journey would never end.

"Come now, no more wasting time," Luke took her arm and arched it above her head instead of insisting she go ahead with the lunges. His other palm were on her upper back to stabilise her.

Jade felt the heat of Luke's industrious fingers seep through her thick clothes. A blush took control of her face which she tried to will away.

"Tell me when you tire," Luke's voice rumbled in his chest and Jade sharply inhaled a gush of air at how close he felt. The action made her cough and to her dismay Luke instantly let her go.

"Today's the last day we are on the plains before we enter the mountain, The Prince reminded her even though she had just sat through their daily meeting. She was just as much part of their group as she was before but now she deliberately did not interfere in their matters. Jade refrained from making a comment.

"Yes, I am heeding your warnings," Luke told affirmed.

Jade saw that the banners had already been taken down and the men were all carrying their weapons. They were taking her hesitance regarding tunnel seriously. Jade was once again bundled into the safety of the cabin.

While Jade sat in her ride Luke climbed a horse presented to him and trotted next to her open shutter. The horse walked so close Jade could hear the snuffling noises it made. It seemed he had decided she needed a private guard.

"Will it be dark?" The tall girl asked as the mountain loomed above them. She could see their path went straight into a jagged piece of rock.

"You mustn't worry. I have arranged a lantern for you that does not go out," Luke leaned into the open window, invading Jade's personal space. He pointed to small hanging lantern that held a strange glass filament in the middle. Jade brought it down and the man clicked a metal knob and the light engulfed the pair as soon as the sky above them disappeared.

"Most charming," Jade's voice was soft.

"I am, aren't I?" The Prince jested but Luke's dimples were illuminated fetchingly in the dull light and Jade could not disagree.

The pair remained silent as the darkness covered everything around them. Jade couldn't even tell what the tunnel looked like except the rough texture of the wall highlighted by her lamp.

Suddenly, their was a loud shout ahead of them catching the pair by surprise. The carriage creaked and the horses jostled each other. Jade tried to crane her neck out of the carriage but Luke shushed her. He abruptly slammed the shutters shut.

The shouts of soldiers increased ten fold and the horses cried out and moved the carriage due to whatever was happening outside. Jade sat with the lamp in her lap until further screams forced her into action. She shook her rucksack with the intention of finding the last dynamite.

The door shattered open before her hands could gain her weapon. A bandit drapped with a mask stormed inside and yanked at her arm. Jade contained a violent scream and fought to the best of her abilities but her rucksack slinked down to the floor leaving only the lantern in her hand.

The entire group of soldiers watched with dread as Jade was pulled to the front. The bandits were outnumbered and they were clearly using her to give them time to escape. 

"You will let us go or this one's heart will be on my sword," The bandit hollered loud enough that Jade's ears rang.

"I will slay you before you can even take another breath," Luke had brandished his crossbow and his grey eyes were locked onto the sight before him. In the lantern light Jade spied a couple of corpses littered with arrows.

The bandit pressed the tip of his weapon at the girl's throat. His other hand pinched into her shoulder. He meant what he said for blood welled up at he base of her neck. In the shadows of the lamp Luke's face looked animalistic.

Visions of a time when she was held in the same position with the witch behind her back resurfaced and just like before Jade could not sit back and wait for rescue. With her heart racing she noticed where the bandits stood and realised none but her current captor was close enough.

Jade slammed her elbow in her captor's spleen and poked his eyes. As soon as the man's grip on the sword slackened Jade flipped him over her shoulder as she had been taught by Dimtiri. Before the bandit could reach the the ground he was apprehended by the soldiers who were waiting on their toes.

Jade landed on the uneven ground, slumped in pain, her hand letting of the lantern. Her injuries hammered in her bones as her nails dug into dust. Warm arms reached her sides to ensure she remained upright.

"Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks, I think I broke something again or the faffing prick made me pull a muscle," Jade cursed audibly as her muscles cried out in pain. She could hear the soldiers crowding around her after they took care of the rest of he bandits but she was too weak to speak any further.

"Do not be alarmed but I must carry you," Luke announced and before Jade could respond he had her in the air. The girl had no energy to protest as all the adrenaline departed her body. Her head spun giving her nausea and she squeezed her eyes shut. Her covered head buried into Luke's warm fur cloak. 

"Why are you determined to get yourself killed. I will not lose you again," The Prince hissed in her ear. Jade hmmed in response.

"I have no patience left. I don't know how you manage to find yourself at death's door again and again. If I had my way you'd be in chains for your own safety," The man uttered. He placed her on the carriage seat and cradled her chin in his fingers. He crouched low in front of her and stared in her brown eyes, searching for signs of injury.

"Imprisonment without facing a magistrate is not allowed, your royal Highness. I do remember going over the dos and don't notebook..." Jade smiled, weakly. Her head was tilted to the other side. The man's gloved fingers traced down the mild scar on her face.

"Bugger the notebook," The Prince shared her smile despite his words. He couldn't remain angry at her for long.

"I'd rather not," Jade replied, loftily.

Luke wet his lips as if he was about to lose his mind in an epic battle. His fingers ran over her shoulder with deliberation. His nimble fingers gently prodded her.

"I don't care if you are my secretary or were my secretary. It's my responsibility to keep you safe since you're doing a very poor job," The Prince trailed off, not finding the correct words.

"You should fire me," Jade murmured, limp against the seat.

"Yes, I should've fired you a long time ago for your impertinence but you were correct about the tunnel being trouble and who knows what else. You have a brain... use it!" Luke growled in her ear. She clearly vexed him beyond belief. Jade chuckled but remained silent.

"You've broken nothing," The man searched her eyes for something the girl could not understand, "Do you want your friend?

"Yes. But shouldn't you ask which friend I'm asking for?" Jade gave the Prince a sleepy grin. 

"You would be more comfortable-" Luke scratched his neck.

"Who said so? Who said I would be more comfortable with Dimtiri?" The brown haired girl pressed.

"You've known him for a long time and seem more used to his presence. He makes you happy. You always glow brighter when you're talking to him," Luke's words were a like water from a broken dam.

"He's my dearest friend. Why shouldn't I? If I were not a highborn woman I would have been standing on his side for incoming nuptials," The girl added. She knew now that he was confused by their closeness. The Prince clearly did not know this bodyguard was engaged.

"I see," Luke's grey eyes did not hold a discernable expression.

"Please, sit with me. I would like that," Jade weakly smoothed away her skirt, "Tell me how is the baby. You're an uncle, now aren't you, your highness."

"Yes, the baby has made his grand appearance. My sister was rather frazzled when I left. I also told her about what the witch did to her previous pregnancy," Luke allowed Jade to place her head on his shoulders. She nestled into his comfortable cloak and breathed in the man's scent.

"You told her? I would've thought to keep it from her if I were you..." The girl murmured. Her eyes were now closed.

"My sister doesn't like secrets. She can get them out from me anyway. It doesn't surprise me she was the first to figure out your secret," The Prince smiled. 

"She scares me," Jade's words were slurred.

"You? Scared of something," Luke snorted as if he didn't believe her at all. Jade could not defend herself for she had already fallen asleep.

....

"Oh, you're still pretty in both forms," Princess Delilah said in lieu of a greeting. Jade and the Prince had alighted from the carriage and had been ushered into the castle. The weather had prevented a outdoor welcome from the hosts.

"A bit too battered right now for that judgement, your highness," Jade gave a feminine curtsy as best as she could. Despite Jemima's efforts her dress was not the height of capital fashion. It would be something she wore rearranging her library or playing cricket in the garden, not meeting a Princess. She had attempted to groom herself at their last stop at the village below Delilah's castle but it wasn't enough.

"Well, that scar is something," The Princess turned Jade's face to the side to examine the mountain lion inflicted injury.

"Must you paw at her so," Luke's voice was inflected with irritation, "That scar is barely noticeable."

"But it will lessen her market value. Men are not drawn to such markings on women," Delilah explained as if her brother was lacking sense.

"Men? Market value?" The Prince's eyes bugged out. The words were common in his language but put together and they ceased to make sense.

"I will hold a ball in her honour when I'm up for travel and she is on the mend. The new duchess must be introduced to the world. It is where she belongs," Delilah declared, firmly. She looked like she was already making plans.

"I don't understand your determination to push her into polite society so eagerly," Luke looked unhappy at the prospect. He slammed the entrance doors open to allow the two women easy passage.  Delilah was mindful of Jade's injuries and walked next to her with a sedate pace. She had lost the weight around her waist but seemed to have gained plumpness on her face.

"She's an unmarried girl who has enough wealth to make her desirable. She has not lost her youthful looks as yet, despite her injuries. Why waste her time?" The Princess' lips arched while her eyes twinkled as if she was still the holder of all their secrets, "Let her rest now, my brother."

Jade was parted from her companions and led to the guest room on the ground floors. It seemed the Princess had been apprised of her injuries by the rider that announced their arrival. Unlike her previous room in the castle this one was opulent. Her room was dressed in rich plums and golds.

Jade allowed the maid to disrobe her into her nightwear and tuck her into bed despite the fact that the sun was still above the horizon. Jade anticipated a restless time tossing, turning into bed she soon nodded off. Only when it was dinner time was she awoken by her assigned maid. A red gown was already laid out for her which Jade put on without complaints. Delilah barged into the room when Jade was finished with her toiletry.

"You are finally free to do as you please. Is it not freeing?" The Princess asked. Her gaze was steady upon Jade's face and she gave a nod of approval.

"I'm not the most ardent lover of frocks if I dare say but this is beautiful, your highness," Jade complimented the gift. It gave her curves where there were none and comfortable enough despite her injuries. She wondered if it were specifically made for her or one of the Princesses' discarded outfits.

"Well you can't turn up in a smart pair of breeches in polite society," Delilah's smile was genuine.

"Perhaps I was better off in the wilderness," Jade muttered staring at the finery.

"I know I'm being pushy but I'm trying to do my best for you. You are capable of greatness. Don't waste your opportunity. I know you will use your power and wealth wisely," Delilah added mysteriously before departing, "Now, do not keep my brother waiting."

Jade urged the maid to work her stubby fingers faster. The dress' wrinkles were steamed out with a hot kettle and Jade was deemed ready enough to leave. With her maid leading the way through a stone passageway Jade was faced with the Prince who stood alone at the end of the corridor in a leather jacket trimmed with furs. The tall girl smiled at the dark haired man but his face remained slack.

Jade wondered why he gaped at her when he had already seen her in female attire. She looked down at her dress and worried there was something wrong. She could not decipher the look on his face at all.

Instead of meeting her eyes Luke looked down at his shoes the closer she appeared. Jade delicately patted at her neckline and found she was baring nothing. Her outfit was not revealing and she could have easily worn it in front of her father as a younger girl. She could not fathom why she was being looked at thus.

Luke offered her his arm with a bland quirk of the lips and ushered her into the dining room for dinner.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92 0 9
Serena is torn bewteen a, could be, perfect relationship with Adrian. He is the school's most favorable guy. For some reason she can't chose him beca...
646 74 42
Jade has just run away from her dull life as a maid to Princess Evelyn of Elementia. As she escapes to the region of magic she meets old friends, mak...
97 8 13
The fae princess, Aurelia, of Priamorus has been promised to the youngest prince of The Kuvine Kingdom, Adrian Kuva. They now must make their marriag...
193 7 20
The quick witted and smart Princess Victoria has always wanted a life outside of her castle walls in Prussia. So, in order to live a normal life as p...