Sink or Swim

By privateguy

A group of teenage college girls find themselves on a voyage of self discovery as they come to terms with fam... More

About Me and 'Sink or Swim'
Chapter 1 - Everything is New
Chapter 2 - Sleepover
Chapter 3 - The Morning After
Chapter 4 - Hidden Away
Chapter 5 - Finally Settled
Chapter 6 - Did The Earth Move for You?
Chapter 7 - Party in The USA
Chapter 8 - The Plot Thickens
Chapter 9 - Surprises All Round
Chapter 10 - Life Stories
Chapter 12 - Closing In
Chapter 13 - Out of The Fire
Book 2 Preview: Chapter 1 - New Beginnings

Chapter 11 - Lost and Manipulated

36 9 52
By privateguy

As Juliette ran over she could see David starting to get to his feet but Aaron lay still on the grass. Abi and Jo had joined Leanne and were standing over Aaron and had started to tend his wounds, "C'mon girls it just a flesh wound." He said starting to sit up. "Did we get the bastard?"

"We, or more precisely Rick and Theo got him." Juliette informed Aaron "He is being taken away by the L.A.P.D. now. But I think the important thing now is to get you to an ambulance."

Aaron was helped to a golf buggy by Juliette as Naomi and Caroline Fortune, the Fox News journalist came staggering out of the trees. "He killed him," Naomi said, "He killed Wesley."

Caroline spoke up, "Don't think she is an innocent party in this, she involved too...Where are the police?"

An L.A.P.D. detective, Samantha Quick, had arrived at the scene and came over. Caroline spoke to her, "I've all the evidence you need - uploaded to my cloud account. I am getting an exclusive on this right? I've got the whole story right here."

The detective arrested Naomi and then sent two of her officers to the woodland but they reported back that they found blood but no body.

Detective Quick radioed HQ and asked for a squad car to visit the Wells residence as they would be needing to speak to Robert Wells.

The party had broken up and the guests were being released in small groups once they had provided contact details and witness statements to the police. Leanne was stood next to Paul and after giving their statements to the police they decided it best to go inside and reflect on the events of the day.

Jessica was talking to Abi, Joanne, Martin and Anthony when she spotted Leanne and Paul going toward the morning room.

"Hey are you ok?" Abi asked Jess seeing her distracted.

"Yeah fine." Jess replied still watching Paul and Leanne over Abi's shoulder.

"Leanne, you wanted to talk to me about something earlier. Is now a good time?" Paul suggested as they entered the morning room.

"Sure, I guess so, if today hasn't been crazy enough already." Leanne responded, ensuring that the couple were not being followed and the door closed and locked.

"Oh, it must be important," said Paul "I see you've closed and locked the door - you don't want us to be disturbed."

"No," said Leanne, "We need to talk, I have some news I want to share."

There was a lengthy pause as Leanne thought the best way to tell Paul that the were related.

"I guess I better just tell you," Leanne said cautiously, "I've kind of just found out that you are my half-brother. Your, I mean, our dad just confirmed it to me today."

Paul was stunned for a moment, "I can't believe it! I knew there was something the day we met at the leisure centre."

Leanne smiled, "Just think about that for a moment, I was all over you!"

Paul burst out laughing, "Yeah - can you imagine where that could have gone if I'd taken up that flirting!"

"Eww!" Leanne laughed too, "That's disgusting. We could have - urgghh - with my own brother!"

"Remember you started it!" He responded, laughing harder. "You would not believe how hard we had worked trying to find you. You were in plain sight the whole time!"

Leanne leant into Paul and gave him a huge hug. "I'm glad you're my brother." she whispered, "just make sure you treat my best friend right. You know she has fallen for you?"

"Yeah, I know, I think I'm falling for her her too. She is very special" He admitted.

Leanne leant forward and kissed Paul gently on the cheek.

Jessica had been watching Leanne and Paul intently and her heart sunk as she witnessed her best friend kiss her boyfriend. She went pale in shock.

"Jess are you sure you're ok?" Abi asked again.

Jessica had tears forming in her eyes, "I'm not sure," she replied, "I think I just need a little alone time to process things. I think I'll go back to my room."

"Do you want one of us to come with you?" Jo asked.

"No, I'll be ok." Jessica responded, backing away from the group, "I'll, I will see you later."

When she turned away tears began to flow more freely and when Jess was out of sight of anyone she broke down totally and ran back to her room. She collapsed on her bed devastated by what she had seen. "How could Leanne do this to me - she my best friend!" she muttered as she sobbed.

Having spoken to Paul, Leanne decided she could now tell her friends about her father but before that she needed to catch up with the band - they were obviously not going to be performing tonight and she was really keen to speak to the guitarist she had eyed earlier.

When she reached the stage Leanne approached the drummer, Bob Seager, as he was the only person around, "Hey, it's a shame you guys aren't going to get to play." she said casually.

"Hi, your Leanne from the tv show earlier, great to meet you. Something of a hero aren't you. I'm Bob. I'm the drummer for the band. We're called 'The Reapers' and I bet you're looking for Drew Deacon our pin up guitarist?" he replied, "Every single girl comes looking for him."

Leanne smiled bashfully, "Hey, yeah I do. Is he single?" she giggled.

Bob smiled, "Hell yeah, you would have loved to hear what he was saying about you when he saw you on screen! You definitely got a chance with him if you ask!" He gave a wink, the old and experienced canny drummer had read Leanne's thoughts. "Drew is backstage. Hey Drew - the girl of your dreams is out here - you wanna come out front and say hi?" he called out to the back of the stage.

Drew made his way to the stage almost tripping over the bundles of cables and gig kit that were laying around. "Well, hiya there." he said when he reached Leanne and Bob. "I was not expecting this gorgeous young lady to be waiting out here for me." He took Leanne's hand and kissed it gently sending shivers down her spine.

"Hi!" she said shyly, Leanne had been rendered unusually speechless.

"A lady of few words... I love it!" said Drew.

"Hey I'll leave you guys to it. Someone has got to pack up this kit!" announced Bob realising his continued presence would make things awkward.

Leanne and Drew failed to take notice as Bob left them on the stage to talk.

"I guess we should see where Leanne is," suggested Abi, "I haven't spoken to her since Jake fired off the shot. I hope she's ok."

"Yeah she's fine," said Jo, "I saw her heading inside with Paul. She's probably shaken up."

"Oh, I'm not so sure." Anthony interrupted pointing to the stage. Leanne was stood close to Drew and he had placed his arm around her. "Those two are made for each other! Guess I made the right choice of band for this gig."

Abi shook her head.

"I can't believe it!" said Martin, "Only Leanne would be so cool and collected after someone has tried shooting at the guests at the party!"

David MacIntrye had made his way to the study. He had listened to the police and Caroline Fortune and understood that Robert Wells his usually trusted business partner as well as brother-in-law had had a part to play in the events of the afternoon. He picked up the phone and called his sister. David explained to her what had happened and what he knew. She explained that the police had called but Robert had already left the house a few hours before. He had made his way to the airport and was heading for a business meeting in Dallas but the police had confirmed that the plane was in fact heading to Saint Petersburg, Russia. David's sister went on to explain that the Wells business was having some financial issues and Robert was looking for investors. She was scared he was involved in even more dodgy dealings. Out of the blue she offered to hand-over her entire 55% shareholding to her brother which would equate to a merger of the MacIntrye and Wells businesses. David agreed and said he would arrange for his legal team to draw up the necessary paperwork immediately. Having already owned 10% of the Wells company he would have a significant controlling interest.

Up in her room, Jessica continued to cry on her bed. She held the teddy Paul had given to her closely. From a slit in the bathroom door, unknown to her, she was being watched. Wesley had managed to stem the blood flow from his wounds and had somehow managed to make his way inside the villa to the living quarters. He had stolen some clothing from the staff area and used the first aid kits near security to patch himself up. At the back of his mind Wesley began to formulate a plan - befriend Jessica - use her to lure Leanne into a trap. 'I'll do this without anybody helping - so far everyone has been a hindrance to my plans' he thought to himself.

Wesley slowly made his way out of the bathroom pretending to stumble and approached Jess. "Urgh, Jessica, oh, Jessica..."

Jessica turned around startled, "Wesley?" she snuffled, her eyes red raw and blurred from crying.

Wesley sat down on the bed. "Yes, it's me. God, are you ok, you look almost as bad as I do!" He put his arm around her.

Jessica wasn't thinking straight - she could only focus on the image of Leanne kissing Paul. Every other event in her life was forgotten and Wesley knew it. He had the advantage and started to manipulate her.

"Some guy shot me - I tried to grab the gun. I made my way to the house to find some security but there was nobody about." he tried to sound convincing, "Somehow I managed to find my way here. I didn't realise it was your room - I went to the bathroom and fainted. Thank god you came in I probably would have been out cold for ages. The guy, he didn't hurt you did he?"

"Err no, it's not that." Jess replied.

"Thank god, I am so glad your ok. I'd hate to think what the mad man would have done to someone as attractive as you. I thought he might have attacked and beaten you or worse!" Wesley was trying to work the situation further.

"It was Leanne, she's meant to be by my best friend. I saw her with my boyfriend - it's kind unofficial but she knows how I feel about him. She kissed him. I knew she liked him but I didn't think she would have done something like this to me. They have both betrayed me." Jessica told Wesley everything he needed to manipulate her further.

"Hey don't worry about them - it's their loss. I'm here for you. I've always liked you, we have just never had the time to get to know each other." Wesley, wiped the tears from Jessica's cheeks with his thumb and leant in and kissed her gently.

Jessica smiled. "Thanks Wes."

"Come on lets get out of here." Wesley suggested, "A change of scene might help you feel better."

"Shouldn't you go to hospital?" Jess suddenly suggested.

"Oh, no I'm fine, just a couple of scratches. Come on, let's go. Being with you is making me feel better all the time. You never know, you may want to be more than friends when you get to know me better!" Wesley replied throwing in a fake chuckle.

Jessica led Wesley through the villa to the parking garage and to the Audi R8. They got in and Wesley sat in the driving seat, started the engine and accelerated down the drive way, past the police cars and security team, and onto the Malibu streets heading toward Santa Monica. They hit the main highway passing Chinatown and headed toward Pasadena and then toward San Bernardino but switched to Interstate 15 heading towards Las Vegas via the Mojave National Reserve.

Leanne had been speaking to Drew for hours and the band had fully packed-up. The pair had sat at the edge of the stage getting to know each other. "Tomorrow we have a gig out in Baker, as you've missed tonight how about we invite you and your friends to the show?" Drew suggested. "In fact, I hear from Anthony that your friend Abi is a great singer, do you think she would come on stage a perform with us for a couple of songs? We need a female lead."

"That sounds really great, I'll get everyone together." Leanne responded enthusiastically, "You know before I go and find them I do have one question, after the show do think we can get some more get to know each other time?"

"Hey, I'll have a private hotel room ready for that!" Drew laughed, "Maybe dinner before?"

Leanne blushed a little and felt giddy inside. "That would be really nice. Thank you." She leant forward and gave him a shy little kiss on the cheek. "I'll leave you to pack your personal stuff. See you tomorrow."

As they got up Drew turned to Leanne, "Before you go," Leanne turned back to face Drew he pulled her body closer to him and placed his hand on her face pulling it in closer and kissed her softly on the lips. Leanne responded and started to kiss him back parting her lips slightly. Their tongues started to play. "Just making sure you'll defiantly see me again tomorrow." Drew said playfully. Leanne was lost for words as her heart skipped a beat.

"Errr, wow, yeah, I'll defiantly see you tomorrow." she beamed a huge smile and gave a little giggle. Drew dumped his stuff in a duffle bag and threw it into the back of the parked up truck. He gave a wave as he jumped in and the four by four drove away.

The police had all but left, only Samantha Quick and the odd one or two uniformed officers remained. It was getting quite dark as Leanne made her way inside. She caught up with Abi and Jo in the dinning room.

"Hey Lea," said Abi, "New man in your life?"

Leanne blushed a little, "Oh, you must mean Drew. He is so cool. A really nice guy. He has invited us to a gig tomorrow and he actually asked if you would like to join the band on stage for a couple of songs."

"OMG!" Abi's eyes were wide with shock, "Oh, I love your new boyfriend! Yes! Yes! Yes!"

Leanne passed Abi her phone to retrieve Drews number so she could let him know she was interested in performing.

"It will be great to go to the show." Joanne said, "That'll help take everyone's minds away from todays disaster. By the way, Aaron is going to be fine. He has already been released from the hospital and is resting up at home. He was right as usual, the bullet didn't really hit him and just caught his shoulder."

Juliette joined the conversation, "Yes, he will be fine. I've been speaking to David and he has briefed me on what's been happening. The police have everything under control now and David has already purchased the entire 55% share from his sister for just $1 so it looks like Robert Wells is finished and stuck in Russia. He'll be arrested if he ever gets back into the US." 

"What about Wesley?" said Joanne with concern, "He was shot. Is he ok?"

"Well, according to the reporter and Naomi he was shot by Jake but no body has been found. The police have searched everywhere so he must have left the estate somehow. Even the police dogs haven't been able to trail a scent." Juliette continued, "The police have an alert out at all hospitals in Los Angeles so they will catch-up with him. I don't think he will get far with two bullets in his body. I guess we should tell Jessica, have any of you seen her this evening?"

"Jess said she wasn't feeling herself and need some alone time and went to her room but that was about three hours ago" replied Abi.

"Hey, I'll go and get her and tell her about the invite," said Leanne as she left the lounge and made her way upstairs.

When she reached Jessica's room the door was closed. She knocked twice and got no answer. Leanne smiled to herself - 'I bet she's sleeping with Paul' she thought to herself and she made her way back downstairs.

Leanne entered the lounge, "I just tried knocking, there is no answer from Jess. I bet she's managed to find a way to get into Pauls..." she cut-off mid-sentence in shock as she saw Paul had joined the group. "...or maybe not then!" she continued.

"I've not seen Jess since before the shooting." he admitted. "Frankly I'm really worried about that."

Juliette called the security team and picked up the master keys and the group made their way back to Jessica's room. She tried the door - it was defiantly locked and there was some sticky blood on the handle. Now even more concerned Juliette unlocked the door told the girls to wait and she entered. The room was empty. She made her way through the lounge area to the bedroom. The bed was a mess and there was an imprint on the duvet where Jessica had laid crying.

The group waited in Jessica's private lounge as Juliette felt the imprint. It was cold, Jess must have moved sometime ago. She walked toward the walk-in wardrobe, all of Jessica's clothing was still present. Next, the bathroom - it's the only place left to look. Juliette was shocked to see blood smeared on the walls of the shower - two first aid kits were opened and male clothing was present on the floor. "Wesley!" she said out loud.

Juliette made her way back to the lounge area and encouraged everybody to leave the room. She picked up the internal phone and called security and asked them to bring Detective Quick to Jessica's room.

When Samantha arrived Juliette explained her hypothesis to the detective and this was confirmed when the security team at the gate pulled off CCTV footage showing the Audi R8 leaving the villa with Wesley driving Jessica away.

Juliette made her way to the study and informed David of the newly developing situation and then moved onto her personal quarters and pulled out her laptop. She pulled up the Audi tracker which showed precise GPS positioning. The car had stopped in a location in the Mojave National Park close to the small town of Baker.

At a small trailer park on the edge of Baker, Wesley rented a trailer for two and paid in cash.

"These clothes don't really work out here in the desert." Wesley announced. In the morning we'll have to see if we can find something more suitable.

"Yeah, I guess so." said Jessica nervously as the pair approached their accommodation. Wesley opened the door and they entered the dingy trailer. Wesley flicked the light switch to reveal a small lounge area. The lounge led directly to a kitchenette and beyond that was a small shower room without a door and a bedroom.

Jessica opened the bedroom door and looked at the less than glamourous surroundings. The room was practically filled with a dirty looking double bed. To one side stood a thick rusting metal cupboard. Two small bedside cupboards were positioned to the sides of the bed. "Wes, we only have one bed." She said anxiously.

"Guess we'll just have to share." Wesley replied with a smile. "Don't worry, I'll look after you and I won't force you. We can take our time - be together when we're both ready. Hey you better not try anything, I'm tired!" He tried to put Jess at ease and laughed.

"I'm not like that!" she scolded him.

Wesley sat in the lounge as Jessica undressed and showered. From his seat he could see her naked body in the mirror. 'She is fitter than Naomi' he thought to himself. 'No wonder Jake wanted a go.'

Jessica dried off with the moth eaten towel supplied with the rented trailer and slipped back on her lingerie. The dress was too elegant to sleep in so she had no choice but to sleep in the sexy under garments. Her mind wandered back to what might have been - she had picked out the attire to impress Paul but that obviously wasn't to be. As Jess got into bed Wesley showered. She pretended to sleep as he slipped back on his boxers, covered his wounds with gauze dressings from a first aid kit and slipped into bed next to her.

Wesley could smell Jessica's body as he laid next to her and could see her nakedness and vulnerability through the sheer lingerie, he became aroused and stiffened. 'I want her, but I need to keep her onside - just sleep Wes - just sleep!' he thought to himself. Jessica could feel Wesley's wanting against her as he rolled and placed his arm around her - she couldn't sleep.

Back at 'The Palms' Paul, Juliette and the girls had changed into some casual wear and had rushed downstairs to the parking area. They jumped into a large Mercedes V-Class that had been prepared for them and one of the security team would be acting as chauffer for the journey. They set-off at speed heading towards Baker to try and catch up with Wesley and rescue Jessica. Juliette had informed Detective Quick of the situation and she said she would contact the local law enforcement office but she was doubtful they would respond as "they generally don't like co-ordinating with city police, particularly at night!"

"Hey man - we're always staying at these shitty trailer parks" said Jimmy Thompson the bass player of 'The Reapers' as the band arrived at their destination, "Bob, man you could at least book us into the hotel."

Drew laughed as they pulled into the car park area blocking in a plush looking Audi R8. "Wow, wouldn't expect to see one of these neat cars down this way." he said laughing.

"Too right," Bob agreed, "More likely see one of these back in Malibu! Wonder what its doin' in a place like this."

The trio made their way to the booking office and collected their keys. They had booked three large two berth trailers each. The additional bedrooms were ideal for storing their equipment and gave the bad some practice space.

As morning came around Jessica woke up - she had an unsettled night but at least she was safe and in one piece. Wesley had gone and as she rolled over she spotted some jeans and a casual sweater on the bed where he had slept next to her. She stretched and got up and slipped on the clothing feeling immediately more comfortable and less exposed.

A couple of trailers away Drew had woke up to the sound of a text message. It appeared to be from Leanne. "Be delighted to perform with you, but looking for Jessica. Think she's been taken hostage. Last seen in her Audi in Baker. Not sure we will get to your gig. Sorry Abi x"

Drew called the number, "Hi gorgeous," he began, the sound of Drews voice excited Leanne who had just woken from a snooze in her seat in the people carrier. "I just got a text message from your phone from Abi. You are not going to believe this but I think I know where Jessica is."

Leanne, sat up, "Really, how?"

"Last night we blocked in an Audi R8." He looked out of the window, "The car is still blocked in now." Drew confirmed the number plate with Leanne. "I'll go tell Bob and Jim to not move our truck under any circumstances. We'll keep an eye on who she is with and make sure she stays safe. Hey babe, don't worry, we've got this. I'll call you when I see her. See you soon hun."

Leanne relayed the information to the driver and her friends. She was happier knowing that they at least knew the exact location of the car and she was just waiting for the call-back to confirm that her best friend was safe.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 664 29
Book #3 in the Medley Series ZEKE MITCHELL: With the World Championship in swimming approaching and our medley team in better condition than ever, no...
16.1K 1.6K 57
[ f e a t u r e d ] [ c o m p l e t e d ] [ e d i t i n g ] ❝A crush can either crush you or heal your crushed heart.❞ Victoria Becky's life is like...
67.1K 2.3K 52
Meet Anna Summers, a 16 year old teen who is trying to fit in at school. Seems normal? Well, there is a slight problem. She is overweight. Her best f...
242 29 31
What happens when Alva's high school crush finally noticed her? And how will her childhood best friend Noel react when he finds them dating? This lov...