The Family That Lived

By SaPHireXmoONliGhT

What if James did not forget his wand? What if they knew that Voldemort knew their location? What if Harr... More

⁰¹| 31ꜱᴛ ᴊᴜʟʏ 1980
⁰²|ᴛʜᴇʏ ʟɪᴠᴇ
⁰³|ᴋɪɴɢ'ꜱ ᴄʀᴏꜱꜱ ꜱᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
⁰⁴|ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴏɴᴇ, ᴄʜʀɪꜱᴛᴍᴀꜱ
⁰⁵|ʙᴀᴄᴋ ʜᴏᴍᴇ
⁰⁶|ᴀɴɪᴍᴀɢᴜꜱ
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ ɴᴏᴛᴇ
⁰⁷|ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀꜱ
⁰⁸|ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ
⁰⁹|ᴡᴏʟғsᴛᴀʀ?
¹⁰|ᴍᴀʟꜰᴏʏ
¹¹|ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ 1
¹³|ɪɴᴛᴇʀʀᴏɢᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
¹⁴|ʜᴇ'ꜱ ʙᴀᴄᴋ
¹⁵|ʏᴜʟᴇ ʙᴀʟʟ
¹⁶|ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴs ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ
¹⁷|ꜱᴏɴ
¹⁸|ᴛʜᴀᴛ ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ʙᴏx
¹⁹|ᴀʟᴜᴍɴᴜꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʟᴜɢ ᴄʟᴜʙ
²⁰|ᴠᴇɴɢᴇᴀɴᴄᴇ
²¹|ᴄᴏɴꜱᴜᴍɪɴɢ ɢʀɪᴇꜰ
²²|ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɴᴛ
²³|ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴀɪʀ
²⁴|ɪᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ɪꜱ ʏᴏᴜ
²⁵|ᴇɴᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ʜᴏɢᴡᴀʀᴛꜱ
²⁶|ʜᴇᴀᴅᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ ꜱɴɪᴠᴇʟʟᴜꜱ
²⁷|ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ɪꜱ ᴀɴ ᴏʟᴅ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ
²⁸|ᴠɪᴄᴛᴏʀʏ
²⁹|ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ
ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
ɴᴇᴡ ꜱᴛᴏʀ(ies)

¹²|ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇɢʀᴇᴛ

7.6K 213 73
By SaPHireXmoONliGhT

Nobody knew the reason as to why the other hadn't said a word in the last 10 minutes. Therefore, Harry decided to break the silence.

"What are you doing here?", he asked under the impression that his parents had gone back home.

"We just came to greet our favourite portra-", Sirius began with a ridiculous explanation before being cut off by Harry.

"Professor Snape loves you? Who is Snivellus? He was the one who told Voldemort of the prophecy? What was the prophecy?" As the questions spilled out of the boy's lips, the other four adults were becoming increasingly aware of the extend to which their conversation had been overheard.

"Harry, if I ask you to leave this alone, will you?" James enquired, anticipating the response he would receive.

"No, I will not", he said determined before he thought of another way of persuasion. "Please, dad, mom, paddy moony tell me" making his eyes wider forming a small frown.

"Firstly, don't think that this is happening because of the doe eyes you have mastered over the years. I will talk to Albus and ask him if we can take you home for the weekend", she said before they all fell into a small conversation that included congratulating the young boy.

The request had been granted by Dumbledore. He didn't have a choice after Lily explained how serious a conversation the family needed to have. In haste, the boy hurriedly packed a few of his belongings. Nevertheless, he promptly left a message at the location where he was scheduled to meet the lad who had delivered the unusual note the day before.

Dear D,

I would be going home today for the weekend, I would love to meet you here on Sunday. Please send a note through Hedwig if you wish to speak to me.

Harry

Before leaving, the raven bid his goodbye to Hermione and his roommates. When he saw Ron's bed his mind momentarily took him back to the conversation he had with the ginger mere moments ago. This was yet another unfinished business he was leaving this weekend. 

__________________2 ʜᴏᴜʀꜱ ᴀɢᴏ__________________

"I reckon you have to barking mad to put your own name in the Goblet of Fire" said Ron unable to meet his eyes with the boy in front of him.

"Caught on have you?" Harry casually responded to rid himself of the discomfort and annoyance of the moment. He'd made the assertion numerous times. He claimed he didn't want to put his name in the goblet because facing death was not something he enjoyed or was even remotely looking forward to.

"I wasn't the only one who thought you had done it, everyone was saying it behind your back", said Ron.

"Brilliant, that makes me feel loads better, because everybody is supposed to be my best friend", he said. This could possibly not be the best defence Ron could put up, nobody was supposed to know Harry the way Ron should have.

Taking the silence as a sign Harry continued, "you insulted my godparents and disrespected Mione in front of me; others may be guilty of one or two remarks here and there, but you are guilty of an awful lot." 

"Harry, I've been meaning to apologise to you for a while now. You were right that I desired attention, and I let it all get to my head. I accept that for the now, and I will apologise to Professor Lupin and Sirius when I see them. I have already apologised to Hermione. Harry I can't explain why I stood against you and refused to help with the tournament, but all I can do is ask that you forgive me."

All Harry could do then was ask for time.

_________________ᴘᴏᴛᴛᴇʀ'ꜱ ʀᴇꜱɪᴅᴇɴᴄᴇ________________

In a dimly lit study, the air heavy with the scent of old books and memories, Harry listened to each story from his parent's school days. Each recollection of each incident felt like Harry was turning the fragile pages of the past. 

The weight of the hate and jealousy that had grown for and in his parents pressed upon his heart, yet he was compelled to uncover the truth that had shaped his family's history.

As he listened, Harry's imagination transported him to another time and place. He could almost hear the echoes of the past, the laughter and tears that had long since faded into the annals of time. It was difficult to swallow the idea that all along Snape been unreasonably envious and obsessive to the point where he was willing to sacrifice anything and anybody.

"Look at it this way, son: enemies or rivals wouldn't get you very far. You can always devote time to developing meaningful relationships," James added.

"Friends are constant in life, keep them close to you because meaningful friendships are the threads that weave a tapestry of warmth, support, and belonging in our lives." said Remus.

Harry turned to his mother as she spoke, "there are many different kinds of friends; a true friend is like a compass that points us in the direction of happiness while guiding us through the ups and downs of life. Some betray us; Peter betrayed us, and Severus betrayed me. I suppose I should have approached him; perhaps things would have turned out differently."

Something suddenly clicked for Harry as his mother's words weighed down. Memories of all the hate and betrayals by Ron and others he thought were his friends echoed in his mind, threatening to consume his spirit. But looking at how far his parents have come gave him a flicker of courage - a glimmer of strength he needed to embrace forgiveness.

Moreover, there was an entire coven of witches and wizards hell bent on killing Harry. The smaller the 'Let's-kill-Harry' group got, the better. 

As Harry opened his eyes, determination filled his gaze surprising the adults in the room. They expected surprise, maybe anger but not such tenacity. Harry took a moment to visualize each person who had wronged him, recognizing their flaws and humanity. In that moment, the boy decided to chose empathy over bitterness, compassion over retaliation and forgiveness over grudge.

The small shift in Harry's mindset was enough to shift the mood of the entire room as Lily got up and yelled "cookie dough everyone?"

Sirius seemed to get eager over that and Remus smiled looking at his boyfriend light up with a pure glee.

The rest of the day passed quickly. The Potter household already had a room for Remus and Sirius, which they used more frequently than their actual residence. Tonight, though, they all decided to crash in the living room under one blanket, encircling Harry with the warmth and love they imagined the youngster could need after such an emotionally intense day as today.

Their day was passing by without any incidents which almost felt unfamiliar, that was until the new issue of the Daily Prophet found its place in the Potter mailbox.

"Hαɾɾყ αɳԃ Hҽɾɱισɳҽ, ƈαυɠԋƚ ɾҽԃ-ԋαɳԃҽԃ"

Sirius squealed at the sight if the front page headlines. As soon as everybody gathered in a matter of moments the three men were laughing, Lily was stifling her laugh in noticing her son getting bright red.

Harry was beyond embarrassed at the point, "Uhm, sh-she was just the-there to comfort me. Yes to comfort me, that is all."

"Really, first year you saw her you were blushing, that break you would not stop talking about her. Then when she was here for the second break you would tell Lily what she likes for breakfast everyday", Sirius started pointing the details out by keeping a count with his fingers.

"Then, you punched somebody in the third break because they disrespected her. Now, she was there just to comfort you?", he finished raising his eyebrow.

"Yes, friends, comforting each other", Harry was in a shortage of words.

Right? They were just friends. Friends, even though for as long as he can remember Harry had been denying the feelings that had been growing within him, suppressing the fluttering in his heart and the longing that tugged at his every thought.

"Take the hint prongslet you like her, don't be too late to realise", said Remus glancing over Sirius.

At this time, their slow pace recognition of one other's feelings was merely a family joke. It seems today, it was Remus's turn to joke at Sirius's expense.

"Moony, I always gave out hints you just never understood them", retorted Padfoot in defence.

"Tell me one time you gave me a hint", asked Remus.

Sirius started counting off his fingers again.

___________________ꜰʟᴀꜱʜʙᴀᴄᴋ__________________

Under the cozy dim light of a small restaurant in Diagon Alley, Remus and Sirius had found themselves sitting without James and Peter who had wandered off a few minutes ago. Sirius was entirely sure that this was no accident. 

Though he is definitely thankful for this moment. 

The air was charged with an unspoken energy, a hint of something more lingering beneath the surface. Their conversation was flowing easily, just like it always did because this was Remus. This was the man who could listen to Sirius talk for hours and still reply to each statement with utmost focus. 

Sirius yearned to express his growing affection for Remus but hesitated, unsure of how to navigate the delicate dance of revealing his emotions. With a deep breath, Sirius mustered his courage, searching for the right words to convey his interest.

"Remus, there's something I need to tell you. I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and... I just can't keep it to myself any longer. I... I think I love your smile. It brightens up my day!"

Remus snorted and replied, "Wait, did you say you love my smile?"

Remus was lazily smiling, misunderstanding the confession for another one of Sirius's ramblings. 

"No, no, Moony! I mean, yes, I love your smile, but what I really meant was... I love spending time with you. I think you're amazing, and... Oh, this is not going as planned!

Remus burst into laughter, unable to contain his amusement at the hilarity of the situation. "Paddy, let's just say we appreciate each other's smiles, okay?"

Sirius chuckled, feeling a sense of relief wash over him along with disappointment just said. "Deal!"

_________________________________________

"See wasn't this a hint?" asked Sirius.

"No, it doesn't prove anything", replied Remus, slightly flustered about how badly he had misunderstood the situation. 

Sirius took this as a challenge, trying to recall all the moments in their Hogwarts years when he almost slipped up about his crush. However, each one of his explanations were completely useful. 

So finally, James stepped in with a story. He recalls this day as the moment when he realised that his friends didn't just have silly crushes on each other. It was something more, more intense, more serious and more precious.

"Moony remember the day you were upset because there were no chocolates left in Hogsmeade a day before Christmas", asked James and continued when he received a nod.

"Sirius bought them all for you and told you that he had gotten them as gifts and did not want to eat them because they were not the type he liked."

At that Remus looked Sirius who was looking at the ground. Remus loved chocolates and that was a fact known by all. However, during his final year his parents had passed away and Remus could not afford most of the chocolates. He was a little relieved when there were no chocolates to buy because that meant that he will not have to explain the situation to his friends.

"You knew?" Asked Remus still looking at his boyfriend.

When Sirius shrugged slightly, Remus launched into a hug and whispered 'I love you' into his ear. Sirius put his boyfriend down and looked at him. "Really? you do?" Sirius never thought he would hear those words directed towards him from this man.

Remus shrugged his shoulders the same way Sirius had a few moments ago and then heard a very excited 'I love you too' from him.

The Potters had moved out of the room.

Lily satisfied with seeing Remus, her best friend in love and happy with somebody. No longer insecure because of his nature and thinking that he did not deserve love.

James was delighted for Padfoot, coming from the abusive house Sirius did not know much about love outside the Marauders.

Harry content with himself for being the reason the couple were finally together.

_________________________________________

Harry had asked for his room to be on the top floor and taken the liberty to design it himself after the first year. The walls were adorned with rich crimson tapestries, with respect to his house. The sloping ceiling seemed to embrace the moonlight, casting gentle shadows that danced along the walls and floor.

The furniture, that was crafted from sturdy oak exudes strength and endurance. Plush, crimson velvet cushions invited anybody to sink into their embrace, golden accents on the edges and hinges.

Harry loved this room, made him feel like he wasn't ever away from Hogwarts or home. They hade become more of the one. 

Tonight, he gently took a seat near his windows as he saw Hedwig approaching him.

Dear H,

I would meet you at your house, I know the address and I will manage to apparate there.

Draco

Harry was not startled as he had suspected it to be Draco. He took a deep breath, trying to release the pent up anger he had for the Slytherin boy. He wants to forgive and forget but it really can't be this easy. 

Though, he wants to listen. He wants to know about Draco and then he wants to explain himself. 

After dinner, Harry quietly went inside his room and found Draco on his broom outside his window. Draco's hair somehow looked a shimmering silver under the moon. Even though Malfoy travelled on his broom not a hair was out of place, neither was there one crease in Draco's jacket. 

Harry opened his window and the blonde boy got off the broom and stepped gracefully inside the room. 

"As expected Potter, you have made Gryffindor your entire personality," Draco said looking around the crimson and gold room. 

"Says you, Malfoy," Harry said. 

The small taunting interaction almost served as a greeting when it came to these two. 

"How did you get out of school?" asked Harry with a curious look on his face. Draco on the contrary had a mischievous one as he said "I have the potions master as my godfather, I have some privileges."

Harry flinched a little upon thinking of Snape, and Draco noticed that sudden glitch in the raven's shoulder. However, he pointedly ignored it, relating it with the bad relationship Harry and Snape share, which is known by the entire school. 

"Why are you here Draco? Why be so cryptic and what was so urgent that you actually came all the way to my house?"

"So many questions Potter, allow a person to at least settle down."

Malfoy replied cooly but there was an edge in his voice as he sat on a small wooden desk placed against the wall.

Harry saw Draco take out a vial. Inside was a liquid almost like water. When Draco noticed the confused look in eyes of the boy in front of him he said, "It's veritaserum, known for its remarkable effects, it compels the drinker to answer any question truthfully."

"I know what that is, I am friends with Hermione Granger. I also know that it is illegal," asked Harry.

"Once again Potter, my godfather is a potions master at Hogwarts. Secondly, today I want to tell you the truth and once I consume this potion, the truth will be extracted from my very being. There will be no room for deception or evasion."

There was a slightly similar determination in Draco's eyes with a little fright. 

Draco knew he was not the type of a person anybody would trust. In efforts to begin living an honest and honourable life, he had to do this. He had to make himself vulnerable to be able to gain someone's trust.

"Ask me anything."

"Alright, tell me if I get too personal. Let's do this", said Harry after sitting on a chair he dragged and positioned in front of Draco.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.6K 122 10
> What if Sirius had a twin sister? What if she was an animagus and became a marauder? What if she falls in love with Remus Lupin? This is the story...
394K 8K 28
Delaney Black. The daughter of non other than Sirius Black. This year she goes to Hogwarts and discovers things about her father, herself and her fam...
22.6K 775 34
What would happen if an ancestor of James Potter gets transported to his time? What if she was able to see traces of ancient magic? What if someone e...
44.9K 804 38
What if James Potter had a sister? And she happened to be in love with his best friend, Sirius Black? Well read this to find out the love story of y...