The Family That Lived

By SaPHireXmoONliGhT

What if James did not forget his wand? What if they knew that Voldemort knew their location? What if Harr... More

⁰¹| 31ꜱᴛ ᴊᴜʟʏ 1980
⁰²|ᴛʜᴇʏ ʟɪᴠᴇ
⁰³|ᴋɪɴɢ'ꜱ ᴄʀᴏꜱꜱ ꜱᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
⁰⁴|ʏᴇᴀʀ ᴏɴᴇ, ᴄʜʀɪꜱᴛᴍᴀꜱ
⁰⁵|ʙᴀᴄᴋ ʜᴏᴍᴇ
⁰⁶|ᴀɴɪᴍᴀɢᴜꜱ
ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ ɴᴏᴛᴇ
⁰⁷|ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀꜱ
⁰⁸|ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʟᴏᴠᴇ
⁰⁹|ᴡᴏʟғsᴛᴀʀ?
¹⁰|ᴍᴀʟꜰᴏʏ
¹²|ɪᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇɢʀᴇᴛ
¹³|ɪɴᴛᴇʀʀᴏɢᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
¹⁴|ʜᴇ'ꜱ ʙᴀᴄᴋ
¹⁵|ʏᴜʟᴇ ʙᴀʟʟ
¹⁶|ᴀᴄᴛɪᴏɴs ᴛᴇʟʟ ʏᴏᴜ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ
¹⁷|ꜱᴏɴ
¹⁸|ᴛʜᴀᴛ ꜱᴍᴀʟʟ ʙᴏx
¹⁹|ᴀʟᴜᴍɴᴜꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʟᴜɢ ᴄʟᴜʙ
²⁰|ᴠᴇɴɢᴇᴀɴᴄᴇ
²¹|ᴄᴏɴꜱᴜᴍɪɴɢ ɢʀɪᴇꜰ
²²|ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴜɴᴛ
²³|ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴀɪʀ
²⁴|ɪᴛ ʀᴇᴀʟʟʏ ɪꜱ ʏᴏᴜ
²⁵|ᴇɴᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ʜᴏɢᴡᴀʀᴛꜱ
²⁶|ʜᴇᴀᴅᴍᴀꜱᴛᴇʀ ꜱɴɪᴠᴇʟʟᴜꜱ
²⁷|ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ɪꜱ ᴀɴ ᴏʟᴅ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅ
²⁸|ᴠɪᴄᴛᴏʀʏ
²⁹|ᴡᴇᴅᴅɪɴɢ
ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
ɴᴇᴡ ꜱᴛᴏʀ(ies)

¹¹|ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ 1

8K 219 132
By SaPHireXmoONliGhT

At this point, Harry was just a nervous wreck. It would appear as if he was always walking with concrete walls enclosing him. No one could read the youngster, who had completely lost the typical smile and good-natured pleasantries.

Only person he felt even an ounce of comfort with was Hermione but with her on her track to be the most capable witch had taken up multiple classes yet again this year. How she managed her time even with the little device was beyond him. 

He felt cautious of not venting to her, but lately he couldn't shake the feeling of impending doom, like a dark cloud hanging over his head.

As he would lay in his bed each night, his mind conjured up images of Voldemort's face, twisted with anger and hatred. Harry could almost feel the weight of the curse on his scar, the constant reminder of the danger he was in.

The triggers could be anything, in the middle of a class he would feel waves of nausea wash over him. His palms would grow clammy, and he'd feel like he was going to vomit. His heart would race, and he'd start to hyperventilate. Deep breaths only seemed to make him more lightheaded. In these cases, his empty room would be the only solace. 

He had a family, people he cared about and so many things he had already dreamt of that the upcoming contest was tightening the coil in his chest. 

He needed a plan, he needed something that could help him sleep at night. 

With that determination in his head, Harry headed to find Professor Moody. The man had experience and expertise, all that Harry could use right now. The teacher began to strategize with the boy the moment Harry asked. 

Unfortunately, Harry was oblivious to the cruel intentions hidden behind the helpful advice.

"We aren't allowed a broom", said a concerned Harry upon the suggestion. The answer he received to that was "but you are allowed a wand".

Even in the midst of all his fear, Harry had faith in his flying skills. The newest revelation didn't relieve him of all his worries but the noises around him weren't bothering him as much anymore, and the darkness of the halls didn't feel as suffocating.

Maybe he was on the right track. 

The rest of his evening was spent searching for spells, anything that could help him more. Something that could be an ace up the sleeves. He chose the quant corner of his room, making himself comfortable on the edge of the window. 

The school had always been awe-inspiring. The moonlight illuminated the towering turrets and the intricately carved stone walls, giving the impression of a magical fortress straight out of a fairy tale. Flickering torches lined against the walls and each time he gazes out, he understands the love his parents have for this place. 

The books were abandoned and Harry kept his eyes glue outside, enjoying the figments of clouds still visible in the darkness of night. Soon, he spotted a white owl, similar to Hedwig fly his way. The white feathered owl dropped off a letter and then left abruptly.

With much needed precaution the raven opened the letter. The handwriting was too neat, too posh, Harry thought in the back of his mind. 

Rivalries are exhausting, don't you think Potter? It might sound surprising and I never thought I'll ever gather the courage to hurt my ego by writing to you but we have to talk. It's best if I don't mention my name but I assure you I mean no harm

Hear me out once, after the first round at midnight at the astronomy tower.

D

Oblivious to the identity of the stranger, Harry made a mental note of meeting the person on the other side of the letter.

____________________________________

Today was the day. Bleachers were full of students cheering for their favourite contestants and Lily thought about how sadistic this was. The reporters and the fans, all coming to benefit from watching children fight for their lives. 

As for the mother, her heart pounded in her chest as she shook with nerves. 

"Lily he is going to do great, his letter said that he had a plan", said James.

"God forbid he is anything like you in planning, this is just bothering me more", replied Lily shaking her head and nervously playing with a strand of her fiery hair. "Where are those two" she asked glancing around and noticing the absence of her friends.

"Sirius is apparating from Hogsmeade and Remus is sitting with the other professors."

Padfoot joined them almost immediately after and as the three adults sat together buzzing with worry, they kept glancing at the small tent faraway where their son was currently. 

Harry paced but there was weird sensation, there was some level of excitement? Or maybe the adrenaline was driving him insane. Even though he knows it's impossible, he can almost hear the roars of all the beasts, as if they are here to specially devourer him. But knowing Harry's nemesis, it was highly possible that the dragons would make a break for it and attack Harry the first chance they got. 

After all you can't expect Voldemort to expect the decorum of a competition. 

Too occupied by his scattered thoughts, Harry almost missed  a 'psst' come from the other side of the cloth covering the tent. Shortly followed by 'Harry, is that you?'

He recognised the voice almost instantly and replied with a light 'yeah'.

Hermione jerked recognising the tension in his voice. She really wanted to help her friend, give advice. If she could she knew that she will step up to fight with him in a heartbeat. 

However, the only thing that seemed sensible at that point was to say, "the key is to concentrate, after that you just have to-"

"-battle a dragon", Harry finished the sentence.

So it was not that sensible, thought Hermione. 

The helplessness she had been feeling all this time came creeping in and there was an urge to hold Harry. She wanted to express all that she wanted to say but for the first time in her life, didn't have the words to. 

She turned around the cloth, flinging herself towards Harry she knew that he would catch her. 

He always would. 

Harry gripped her waist tight, he needed affection right now. She had her feet above the ground as she held on to his neck. Her head was buried in his neck and he did the same to the fur of her jacket.

With his head nuzzled in the crook of her neck, he let out a deep sigh, finally allowing himself to feel vulnerable and let go of all the emotions he had been holding in. The hug lasted for what seemed like an eternity, but neither of them wanted to let go. They stayed in that embrace, holding each other close

Harry most definitely did not want to battle a demon when he could rather sit near the fireplace stroking Hermione's hair as she babbles on about things he doesn't understand. 

There was a sense of comfort in the embrace, a confidence that someone was there right now to stabilise Harry. But, suddenly they heard a noise and as the two lifted their heads snapping out of each other's hold they saw the camera go off.

There stood Rita Skeeter, blonde hair in a bun. Dark glasses contrasting with the bright red lipstick. Everybody in the tent heard her loudly exhale 'Young love". The two teenagers flustered before realising that their privacy was being invaded.

Harry was furious, more so than he had ever been in his life. She seemed to ignore the scathing teenagers in front of her as she continued "if everything goes unfortunately today, you two may even make the front page."

Not respectfully, Skeeter was escorted out the tent by Krum as Hermione steadily held on to Harry's arm. She radiated heat in the cold and he didn't mind because she gave the warmth that confirmed that Harry was not alone.

____________________________________

Harry had ended up picking the Hungarian Horntail, he was not sure whether it was the Potter luck or at this point it was just straight up bad luck.

Sitting alone awaiting his turn might be the worst part of it, stewing in the anxiety and hearing the roars and gasps of the crowds from outside was not helpful. At all. 

His mind raced thinking about how much he did not want this. He wanted to be on the bleachers with his friends and see others participate. However here he was, concerning the people who love him while he risked his life due to a binding contact designed to hurt him.

"Three of our contestants have now faced their dragons, and so each one of them will proceed to the next task. Now our fourth and final contestant."

Outside, the stones piled on top of each other forming a hard platform. As he moved out he heard a chant of his name.

Ron and Hermione were standing with other Gryffindors. Ron cheered with others and there was a sense of familiarity in watching both his best friends stand next to each other. Harry saw Hermione look everywhere, anywhere but him. Failing to do so her eyes landed on the his.

Lily was hiding her face in James coat as he sat silently. A couple of steps below that, sat Remus and Sirius cheering on their godson. In the middle of the family was Snape scowling. Hermione saw him glance at the Potters and then look away instantly.

Hermione used her deductive skills and formed an unlikely yet plausible theory.

The support was nice but didn't help as the boy spotted the dragon. It was a massive and fierce creature with scales as red as fire. Its eyes glinted with anger, and Harry knew he had to act fast. He spotted the egg and started moving towards it. Suddenly he felt a harsh impact from the tail of the dragon. 

With every attack which came one after the other, he heard flinches from the crowd. Somehow his ears narrowed down to specific people, sometimes he only heard a scream from his parents, from Hermione, Remus, Sirius, Professor McGonagall.

As he saw the dragon charging towards him, breathing jets of flames that scorched the ground beneath its feet his instincts finally kicked in. 

Hiding behind the rock he muttered 'Accio Broom'. Soon his Firebolt came and he boarded. The crowd let out a cheer. Lucius Malfoy heedless to the contribution of his son to the cheer.

The entire Gryffindor house celebrated that day. Portraits, ghosts and all the people who had underestimated their fellow house member. Ron was nowhere to be found within the group, then an uncomfortable silence took over the room. Harry's gaze followed his classmates and there he spotted the red head.

_____________________________

Below the celebrations, in the dungeons Lily stepped into the Potions classroom. Severus snapped around and saw the green-eyed red-head beautiful woman standing a few meters away from him.

"Severus, I would say it as nice seeing you if it wasn't for the reason that I came to see you for", she said sweetly taking a seat near the table. She gestured for him to join her and be obliged just by saying "Lily" and nodding.

"Why? Why would you things like that to Harry? Was he disrespectful towards you?" she asked and Severus knew that this day would come.

"I am not obligated to answer you Lily" he said getting up. "Also, I do not know what you are talking about".

As he said that Remus, Sirius and James stepped in.

"Do not lie Severus, I have been here for a long time and while we have kept away from each other, all of Hogwarts knows of your constant bickering with my godson."

"We all did not want to come in Snape, but we need you to realise that we are serious and concerned", said Sirius and James in the true Marauders way continued the speech "we never had good relations, I agree. Though, for you to stoop low enough to bother my son with it is horrifying."

Snape felt cornered then he tried noting the respect that was given to him, no ridiculous remarks, no name calling but decided to argue anyway. Noticing the hesitation Sirius and Remus stepped out of the room.

"Spoilt brat he is. Fame hovering his mind", then he couldn't keep it in. Overwhelmed by looking at the woman he claimed to love with her husband he burst out. "That boy is the reason that you were on the brink of death."

"The dark lord wanted the child but you had to step in with no regard to your own safety. You wanted to protect that child who you had only known for a year and this man." He pointed at James and said "this person who put you in harm's way, leader of the group that tormented me."

Soon he was unaware of the crowd near him and started saying, "I begged the Dark Lord to not harm you, I made a deal with him. He was supposed to kill James and Harry and you were supposed to come unscathed. I should not have told him the prophecy I should not have overheard and told him."

While somebody strange to the situation would have taken pity on the overwhelmed man in front of the them, the other two in the room had indescribable expressions on their face.

Lily stepped forward "you are worse than I imagined, you thought I would have a sense of self protection that high? I would die for my family over and over again. I would not be surprised if you would be foreign to the concept of love, but you do not ever come near me or my boy again. You know I will hunt you to the ends of the Earth if I have to."

"No, I love you Lily. I know what love is", said Snape cowering but confident of his statement.

"Love? Infatuation, Obsession is what you have Snivellus. If Lily would have chosen another man I would have still died keeping her safe. I guess that is what we have in common You and I will both let me be killed to keep her safe." James yelled, seeing a flinch he continued "you call me cruel? you bully a young child because of your own misery"

James stepped out of the room and Lily before doing the same said "You want to hurt my family you have to go through me first".

Outside Sirius and Remus had heard the entire dispute and without a word they were about to leave and as they turned around they were all met by the confused gaze coming from very familiar eyes.

"Mom? Dad?" said the boy.

Sorry for making this chapter so long, I had a few things I wanted to include in this.

(word count: 2530)

Also guys this story hit 1.1 K reads and I am so happy because to be honest I did not even expect 20. Please leave feedback, comments and vote if you like this story.

Thank you much,

I hope you liked the read

xx

Update (27/4/23): It feels amazing knowing how many of you chose to read this story and become a part of this small AU I always wanted to create. I had to have said this before but thank you for being such incredible readers. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 782 32
Summary: Lord Voldemort never panicked. But on the night, he found out that Harry Potter knows about Horcruxes, he freaked out. In his desperation to...
945K 41.6K 153
Gone are the carefree school days, as a new era begins in the lives of the Marauders. Voldemort's powers are ever increasing and the days are getting...
306K 6.1K 35
This is the story of y/n lupin. Twin sister of Remus lupin. Ever since she started at Hogwarts she has had a major crush on James potter. Does sh...
9.6K 122 10
> What if Sirius had a twin sister? What if she was an animagus and became a marauder? What if she falls in love with Remus Lupin? This is the story...