Orange Roses - REVAMPED

By WriterActress

SEQUEL to WHITE ROSES -REVAMPED. It's been three months since Matty came back from Faerie after saving her be... More

Chapter One: Birth Moon
Chapter Two: News Photographer Have No Fun
Chapter Three: Boys with Scars
Chapter Four: Police Officers Disappear with Glamour
Chapter Five: Dragon Sedated by Nurse Ratchet
Chapter Six: Never Wake up an Elf
Chapter Seven: All for Roses
Chapter Eight: Gancanaghn Starved
Chapter Nine: The First Rule in Faerie
Chapter Ten: Acid Trip to Faerieland
Chapter Eleven: That Magic Shit
Chapter Twelve: A Crown of Roses
Chapter Thirteen: Walking in a Dream
Chapter Fourteen: Monster in the Nightmare
Chapter Fifteen: Dreams of Desire
Chapter Sixteen: Only in Your Wildest Dreams
Chapter Seventeen: Waking Up to Faerie Tales
Chapter Eighteen: A Prince's First Kiss
Chapter Nineteen: The Secret of Trusting
Chapter Twenty: Unicorn's Blood
Chapter Twenty-One: The Bald Headed Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Two: The Reality of Dreams
Chapter Twenty-Three: Stupid Girls in Love Only Work in Faerie Tales
Chapter Twenty- Four: Dragon's Treasure
Chapter Twenty-Five: Faerie's Love Song
Chapter Twenty-Six: Sun in His Hands
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Lips Raw with Love
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Behind the Camera
Chapter Thirty: Dragons Taste like Lilacs
Chapter Thirty-One: Burn Witch Burn

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Cat Faeries by the Body

42 3 2
By WriterActress

Ari's smile looked off. 

I wasn't sure why, but it looked weird and something in the back of my mind told me to make a run for it. 

"And this is why no body wants you to tell their story," Dexter said. 

"It's true though," Ari said. "Not my fault you couldn't keep your cool." 

Dexter made an annoyed grunting sound. 

Someone was going to half to fill in the details for me. Ari laughed and it sounded almost real, but something really did feel off. The muscles in his face relaxed and the smile looked more real. He really did have a pretty smile and I could see him as a sixteen-year-old boy. It would've been easy for someone to fall in love with him. 

"Jesus christ, Ari," Dexter said. "I'm going to get you some water, Matty." 

"You don't-" I tried, but he slammed the door behind him. 

Ari chuckled. "Ignore him, he hates everyone thinking he has a soft spot, but it's true. Oracle inspires that." 

"No one can inspire that," I said. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking and Ari looked a little too high to talk about philosophy. 

"Come on," Ari said, "didn't you get tired of being alone? Isn't that why you fought so hard for your friend when he got stuck in Faerie?" He had to be talking about Lowell. "And look at you now, you're alone even now. Even with half of the faerie courts chasing after you." 

So he did know. 

And that meant he lied to Oracle. 

"Why did you lie-"

"Because Oracle would do something stupid to want to help you," Ari said as he pulled out another joint from his pockets. This one looked thinner. He lit it up. "That's what the old man does. That's what he did with me."

"What does that mean?" I asked. "Naomi came by at my work. Does that have to do with this?" Ari's eyes widened slightly, but relaxed after a second. He wasn't as good with his masks as Antonio was.

"Ah, sorry about that. She's a little messed up right now and my old man probably isn't helping with that." Ari said. His voice sounded light. He titled his head back and smiled. "So what did she tell you? Did she tell you the truth?" 

"She said you met Oracle and you kind of just ran away from her," I said. "Which is kind of an asshole thing to do. If you don't love someone-"

"Of course I love her," Ari said. "You've met her, right? I mean, you'd have to be blind not to fall for her." 

Okay now I was really confused. 

"What is wrong with you? She's madly in love with you!" I said. I stood up and the muscles in my legs shook. 

Ari bit down hard on the joint. "Antonio killed my father." 

God damn vampire. 

"If you want to hear the rest of the story, you might want to sit down." Ari suggested and I sat down. I was kind of getting tired of the vampire leaving out crap like this. 

I need to talk to you! Antonio had said that to me, hadn't he? 

Oh hell. 

Ari took another drag from his joint and blew the smoke out of his mouth like some sort of dragon who decided to tell his secrets. 

"I wanted to see my dad," Ari said, "I cut contact with him when I was a kid. He wasn't happy that I was the one to survive in the car crash." I felt a cold shiver and thought about my own dad. "I'm sure Antonio told you that, but when I grew up I wanted to see him. I went to Antonio and asked if he knew anything. You know how vampires are, noisy fuckers. He surprisingly doesn't know anything." 

"Huh." I said. 

It wasn't hard to put two and two together. 

"I think he hoped that I didn't know the old address or that I suppressed it, you know?" I wouldn't be surprised. "I didn't and went to the old address. Someone else lived there. Some other family. Turns out the old man had been dead for almost ten years." 

Antonio. I could almost see the tall vampire, standing in some house and turning his crime scene into something slightly more innocent. 

But not by much. 

"I did some research." Ari said. "He'd been dead for ten years. The police reports said he'd committed suicide." His mouth twitched. "Can't help and think he was killed to make sure I didn't have anyone else to turn to." 

I shook my head. "I can't believe that." 

Ari let a chuckle escape. "You should ask him sometime. I'm sure he'll tell you all the gruesome details."

"How does that relate to Oracle?" I asked. 

"Dexter was actually one of the officers at the station that day. I'd been pissed when I found out and needed to be escorted off the property." Ari said. "He heard a bit about my story from the older guys there and he got suspicious of it. The scars gave me a way a bit. He thought something weird was going on so he looked into the case. He went to Oracle about it." 

"They had this group then?" 

"Not as big," Ari said, "Mostly just him and Dexter. Oracle wanted to meet me and Dexter offered to help me put the pieces together." 

"You didn't suspect Antonio?" I asked. 

"Not immediately, I thought maybe he hadn't wanted to tell me. Naomi said that could've happened." He said. 

The door opened and Dexter came out. 

"Did I interrupt something?" Dexter asked. 

"You've always had shit timing, copper!" Ari said with a snicker. 

Dexter rolled his eyes and gave me some water. 

"Here you go, how are you feeling?" Dexter asked as he sat next to me. 

"I've felt worst honestly," I said. "I'm sure the water will help." 

Dexter nodded and then looked at the sky. "Matty, I'm sure you know what we've been up to with faeries." 

"You mean the stealing? Yeah," I said. 

"We can't go near the bodies," Dexter said, "I think there might be some clue at the body." 

I wasn't sure if I liked where this was going. 

"Please, it'll help us." Dexter said. "Please, I'll owe you." 

Guilt tugged at my gut. I thought about all the times Oracle helped me. 

My head felt heavy with smoke, alcohol, and information. Nothing really made sense and yet it did at the same time. It felt too clear. Too sharp. There was a lot I didn't know and I didn't understand. A part of me wanted to scream. 

And in the back of my mind, I wondered if Erasmus might be able to get to me. 

"Sure," I said. 

"Really?" Dexter asked. I nodded. 

"I can look at the body tomorrow after work," I said. I pulled out my phone and checked the time. "I better get going back home." 

"I can drive you." Dexter said. 

I shook my head. "I got it." 

Orisin must've not been far because he appeared the moment I reached the edge of the property. I gave Dexter a thumbs up. 

"I'll see you tomorrow. And Ari!" Ari jumped at my shout. "You better explain more about this." 

Ari nodded. 

"Explain what?" Aine asked. 

                                                       _________________________

 "THE EVIL, STUPID BLOOD SUCKER!" Aine shouted at the top of her lungs. 

"It might've been my fault for not listening to him," I said as I drank my cup of coffee. I sat on the sofa in my pjs and a throbbing head. I really wasn't sure how to take in last night. At least Erasmus decided not visit my dreams. But I wondered if he could hear me and if I should mention it to them. 

"I don't like this," Orisin said, hitting his head on the counter. "Ser Drake is going to skin me alive." 

"Oh he'll go after Antonio first," Aine said, landing on the counter top and stroked Orisin's arm. 

"No, probably me," I said. I'd be lucky if Drake didn't decide to kill me and throw my body into the ocean. 

"Why you?" Orisin asked. 

Orisin would probably help Drake burn my corpse. 

"I agreed to help Dexter look at old crime scenes where the murders were," I said. 

Orisin froze. 

"You WHAT?!" Aine yelled. 

                                                                 _________________

"It's not such a crazy idea," Eloy said through the phone. 

Orisin and Aine glared at me as I edited some photos on the computer and talked to Eloy. I mostly needed backup because I was worried that Orisin might try to keep me in the apartment. 

"Oh yes, let's go and see if we can prove that it's some insane witch-"

"Seeing if there is a spell on the body is wise," Eloy said, interrupting Aine. "We should try to confirm that for ourselves." 

"But what if the spell attacks us?" Orisin asked. 

"That can happen?" I asked

"In theory, yes," Eloy said, "but that's more of a rumor if anything." 

"Are you trying to lie? Is that why you sound so uncomfortable?" 

"No! I just haven't seen it in person so..." 

That wasn't comforting. 

"Eloy..." 

"I'm just trying to be hopeful. These murders are exciting for the royalty. And suspicious. It's a good excuse to come into the human world and I'd rather they not do that." Eloy said in such a sweet tone that it made me cringe. 

"You're so incredibly helpful." Orisin said. 

"Great, what's your backup plan if I die?" 

"Oh, probably just send the Dragon." 

My face burned for a second. 

"That'll work," Aine said. 

                                                                         _________________

"I don't know what we're going to find at the sight of the corpse," Orisin said as we walked down the hill into the woods. This had been what he muttered to himself all day. The humid night made my shirt cling to my skin. Apparently the body that Eloy and I found a bit ago was the latest body. 

And that reminded me of what Eloy said about witches. 

I couldn't picture Oracle or anyone in the group being able to kill a faerie. Yeah they're stupid for stealing from faeries, but I doubt they could kill one. They couldn't hide well from them.

Aine flew ahead, her wings a soft delighted yellow. "Oh you know, that's how humans figure out mysteries! We must go to the crime scene and find hints of who was there!"

I wasn't sure if she was excited to be acting like humans do in crime shows or if she just accepted the fact that I needed to do this. 

"Or what, in this case," Orisin said. He grabbed the back of my shirt, ready to pull me away from anything.

The smell of the woods calmed me down. My muscles ached from a long shoot today, but walking helped loosen the tense muscles in my legs. I wish I could see the stars or the moon through the branches, but there was too much light pollution to be any real help.

"I just want to see if there is something we can get from where the body was." I said. I didn't feel comfortable with the word 'crime scene'. It was technically a crime scene even if the victim was a faerie.

"It'll be fun!" Aine said.

Orisin walked next to me and gave me a look.

"Don't look at me. It's not my fault she's been watching too much TV." I said. Orisin cracked a smile which was the first one I've seen from him today. "Are we going to find this crime scene easily?"

"Of course," Aine said. "You'll see!" She bolted a head of us.

"Aine, don't go so far ahead-" I felt a burst of heat next to me and I turned to look at Orisin, thinking he lit a flame. Instead, a muscular black unicorn stood next to me. "Dude, you gotta tell me before you do that!" I had never seen Orisin's unicorn form. "Are you sure that's a good idea with your gunshot wound?"

Orisin bent his head a little. He nudged me when I didn't get on his back. I climbed on and felt a bit awkward.

"You turn back when it starts hurting. Got it?" I said. He sped up a little to catch up with Aine. 

Orisin suddenly stopped. A sound of footsteps and a soft growling made him take a few steps back. I first saw the head of Wolfie pop out from a bush. Wolfie relaxed his intense gaze when he saw me.

"Wolfie!" I said. Orisin stopped moving as Aine flew over to us.

Little one. He said. I've heard rumors about you. Much of it sounds like you, but you've gotten in trouble. I'm not sure you know what you're doing.

"I probably don't," I admit.

Where's the dragon?

"I don't know and I'm fine with that," I said.

You're a rather awful liar.

Aine burst into a fit of giggles when she heard that. She held her stomach and kicked her feet up in the air, falling backwards and ending upside down. I shot her a look.

"Oh, he's only telling you the truth. Maybe you'll accept it from him," Aine said. Wolfie snorted.

"Have you seen or heard anything about these murders?" I asked.

Of course. Not that I've seen anything. They're smart. He walked up to Orisin to get a better look at me.

"I've heard people think it's witches." I said.

There are many spells a witch would know to keep spirits away. Wolfie said. Though witches like spirits more than the fae.

"What keeps you guys away?"

Certain spells can make a spirit dizzy and lose track where they're going, Wolfie said. He sniffed Orisin and relaxed. Orisin bent his down to Wolfie's level to give him a better look. You're a rare one, little unicorn. Black as the night and eyes the color of fire. I hope you hold your head high.

Orisin lifted his head and I felt warmth burst underneath his skin. I couldn't help, but smile and I patted his neck.

"What are you doing here with a witch near by?" I asked.

I knew you'd get involved at some point and I wanted to stop you if I could, Wolfie said. Aine let out another giggle. I do not like how the Dragon isn't with you, but I'm certain he's been a bit hurt.

Not this again. I shifted my eyes away from him.

Wherever you stray, he'll follow. That I'm certain of, but you aren't interested in that, I'm assuming. Do you want me to lead you where the body is?

"The body is still here?" I asked. "And you can find it now?"

"Do you think we have clean up crews?" Aine asked. "Of course we don't, especially if a faerie has been murdered."

And touched by a witch. The spell wore off a bit ago.

That answered one question. 

Wolfie turned his back and walked ahead of us. He didn't say anything else and his steps were the only sound I heard. The forest felt dead. We walked down hill and branches crunched under Orisin's hooves. I looked up as I heard whispers and I saw the fae of the forest hiding high in the trees. It was the light that some faeries emitted that gave them away. Some squeaked when they saw me and hid.

"HALT!"

I tensed and got ready my dagger, but then a tiny faerie flew from behind one of the mushrooms. The faerie looked like a tiny blue cat. Translucent silver wings fluttered when they came over to us. They held one of the roses. The stems didn't have thorns and looked more like vines were growing out of them. The leaves were about the size of my hand the the petals were thicker and stronger just like the heavy aroma they gave out.

We aren't here to hurt you, Wolfie said, sitting down and lowering his head to try to make himself seem smaller. This human wants to talk to you.

I slid off Orisin's back and walked over to the little cat faerie. I crouched on the ground and looked at the cute little blue cat faeries as I asked, "Hey little guy, what are you doing here?"

"Oy! Me lady, aren't ye the human guru everyone' been talkin' 'bout?" He asked in a thick Scottish accent.

I shrugged.

Don't be rude, Wolfie said.

"Maybe."

The cat gave me a bigger grin. "Where's the Dragon? It'd a big, big, honor to be meeting' ye, it is!"

"He's not here right now."

And he'd probably be pissed if he knew I was here. I could just imagine his face right now.

"He's a great, great warrior for we solitary fae! I don't know if he remembers, but he saved me once from them Nightmare court's guards a few hundred years ago!" The faerie beamed with pride as Aine looked at me, a little confused.

"How do you know about Matty then?"

"Oye, everyone been talkin' and gossiping' about her ever since Erasmus declare'd her his bride-to-be if ye know what I mean." Great. The cat waved around the flower in their paws. "I heard that she even took down one em' stupid ogres, is that true?" He asked me as I nodded. "Did he smell like rotten' meat?"

"Worse," I replied.

"Wow, that's impressive, ma'am!"

I shrugged my shoulders. "Not really, I can't make flowers grow out of the ground. Speak of, what are-"

"Prince Erasmus will be comin' to get ye soon," the cat said. "There's been bunch of rumors."

"We're not interested in rumors, what are you doing here?" Aine said, cutting in. Her wings turned a dark orange.

"Been makin' sure that the dead girl's spirit sleeps peacefully. Ye never want a vengeful spirit wondering' around in Spirit World. Brings bad luck," he explained, "That's my job and I do a good job."

"I bet," I said. "Does anyone know what happened?"

The cat shook their head. "No one knows. Girlie here was a strong warrior. Like the Dragon."

I swallowed.

What do you mean? Wolfie asked.

"The poor girlie was covered int cuts. I thought there was a lot of them all over her."

Weird, the body I saw barely looked dead. Or attacked. It hadn't really registered as a body for a bit. Did something go wrong?

Not an easy kill. Wolfie said.

"Do you mind if we see the body?" I asked. My stomach twisted at the thought. "We just need a look."

The cat glared.

She is trying to figure out what happened. Wolfie said rather softly.

"She's been through enough.Poor girl missin' her heart and tongue. Probably wants to steal faerie languages." The cat nodded as he said this.

"Stealing faerie languages?"

Words hold power in Faerie.

"I don't want to be rude, but I do need to take a quick look." I said. "Please?

The faerie looked at me and then looked at the others. 

"If anything were to happen-"

"Let me guess, death?" I asked. 

His ears twitched, but turned around and stepped to the side. 

Orisin walked by the mouse first . Aine zipped in front of us immediately and Wolfie followed close by. The air temperature dropped and a puff of fog came out of my mouth. Orisin's skin grew warm as we walked and his mane turned to flames. Aine flew onto my head and closed her eyes for a bit. 

Orisin made a whining noise and stepped back. I slid off from his back and walked over to the edge of the circle made of orange roses. In the middle of the circle sat a long body. 

"We can't go past it." Aine whispered. 

It's cursed.  Wolfie said. 

"Cursed? I thought you said the spell would've warn off." I said as I walked toward them. Wolfie stepped forward and their massive jaw grabbed at the back of my shirt. 

Don't you dare. 

"Would you get off it?" I said, but they didn't budge. 

He growled and I relaxed, realizing that I wasn't getting anywhere near the body. The spell had a strong hold here. Definitely a witch. 

"Can you guys pick up anything from it?" I asked as I looked through my right eye to see if maybe there was something I could see. 

The witch is strong. Wolfie said. And sad. 

"Sad?" 

"I need to be gettin' back to work," the cat faerie said and waved at us. He jumped into the circle. "Don't bother her, alright? She's been through enough."

Orisin turned around and started walking. Aine landed on my head. I wasn't sure what to think about everything at the moment. A witch? I never even ran across one before. Not that I looked out other weirdos like me. I did my best to hide. I felt like a child who knew nothing. Did Drake know anything about witches?

"Aine, do you know a lot about witches?" I asked after a moment a silence.

"Not enough," Aine admitted. Orisin snorted in agreement. "Most faeries are taught to keep away from them."

I sighed. I wished Drake was here. He'd probably know a bit more. I could go to Keeva or Eloy, but I know Keeva would get nervous and might alert Drake that something was going on. Eloy probably wouldn't.

__________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: 

I'm pretty sure things will slow down in my real life. I think. Maybe? I don't know, every time I say that something else happens. Some good things will be coming in the next chapter. I'm excited to see what you guys think.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.6K 1.3K 26
SEQUEL to WHITE ROSES. Matty made through her first year of high school and now gets a break back in her home town of Ocean City, Maryland with Drake...
404 1 12
This is a part 2 of another fan fiction I wrote called A Court of Night and Starlight. This story follows the events of the first story, so if you ha...
41.1K 3K 20
This is the second book in the series Not Quite Human series. Kasey and Braedon are headed to Sydney to be married so that Jax can give her away. Kas...
1.7M 45.4K 27
What if I told you those fairytale creatures were real? That werewolves and vampires really do hate each other? You would say that I was crazy right...